Thread: Why are there pre-orders being taken for RoTTR on PS4?

Default Why are there pre-orders being taken for RoTTR on PS4?

http://www.game.co.uk/en/rise-of-the...62&catGroupId=

This popped up not long ago, not sure if this has been posted or not. Is this company (which is a huge retailer I've read) just super confused.... orrrr do they know something we don't? I'm lost, because how are they taking people's money without even knowing this information?
    signature image
    https://twitter.com/damiandee1230

Either they're uninformed that the game is a timed exclusive for Xbox One....or they might just be anticipating the eventual release of RotTR for PS4 afterward.

Some games have preorder offers many months in advance....and at that, it may depend on the retailer as to when they'll start taking preorders, even if the distributor says: "go ahead and take preorders now.". I'm not sure that that is how it works, but it seems so to me.
    Shanghai! Hong Kong! Egg Fu Yung! Fortune cookie always wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Martok View Post
    Either they're uninformed that the game is a timed exclusive for Xbox One....or they might just be anticipating the eventual release of RotTR for PS4 afterward.

Some games have preorder offers many months in advance....and at that, it may depend on the retailer as to when they'll start taking preorders, even if the distributor says: "go ahead and take preorders now.". I'm not sure that that is how it works, but it seems so to me.
    I could understand the misinformation, but to go so far out on a limb as to accept money on it?! That's serious business suicide for them, if we have any UK residents in the forums, could y'all confirm the legitimacy of this company? Do they do this often? If it's as big of a company as I've read, it doesn't make sense to make a risky move on something that has yet to be confirmed. They even got the release date wrong. Hahaha how funny would it be if RoTTR came out on PS4 this year, and then exclusively to XBone Holiday of 2015? :P (I know that's not the case, just trying to inject humor into a bleak situation).
    signature image

LR2, as a bit of friendly advice, try not to see it so bleakly. To my knowledge, this deal has always been timed exclusivity, so it has got to be just a matter of time before RotTR hits PS4 and PC. The only thing I honestly would worry about is if Microsoft restarts its older illicit practice of "PS4 and other consoles do not get the same bells and whistles as the Xbox One version...ever.". (to clarify, this was something they apparently used to do with older multiplaform games on Xbox and maybe 360 to a point).

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Martok View Post
    LR2, as a bit of friendly advice, try not to see it so bleakly. To my knowledge, this deal has always been timed exclusivity, so it has got to be just a matter of time before RotTR hits PS4 and PC. The only thing I honestly would worry about is if Microsoft restarts its older illicit practice of "PS4 and other consoles do not get the same bells and whistles as the Xbox One version...ever.". (to clarify, this was something they apparently used to do with older multiplaform games on Xbox and maybe 360 to a point).
    I see it bleakly most in part on Mr. Spencer's comparison of the deal to that of other timed exclusives that never came to PS4. That isn't a coincidence I fear. I know I come across as a crazy Debbie Downer, but TR is really the one franchise that I've been invested in for as long as I can remember, I've even planned on getting a TR-esque tattoo. I really don't want to accept that I might not get to play it again, but you could be right as well. I guess it's a waiting game- which sucks because even after the game is out on M$ consoles, it will continue to be a waiting game, as I'm sure they wouldn't announce other platforms immediately. Oy vey
    signature image

We already know it's coming to PS4.

LR2, I can understand your frustration. As Tom Petty once sang: "The waiting is the hardest part."

The best thing to do right now is not over worry about something that is clearly beyond any TR fan's/gamer's control right now.

Sadly, the deal as it stands is done. I don't think Sq/CD would be so stupid as to permanently rub out a majority of its gamers....but if Microsoft were to try and pull what I described earlier....then yeah, that will have been a severe lack of foresight on Sq/CD's part (to say nothing of the underhanded tactics of Microsoft)....and then they're going to lose that majority of gamers.

Then, if that does prove out to be the case, all one can do is hope that the game bombs so severely on Xbox One that Sq/CD reevaluates their bedfellowship with Microsoft, and determines never to pull another stunt like that again.

But, ultimately, don't fret about what's beyond your control. You'll get grey hair that way.

Not the first time a retailer did this. They could be simply concluding that it will come to PS4 since CD stated that it's a timed xbox exclusive, and want to get in on the pre-order sales for when it does. If people pre-order and it turns out there will be no PS4 version, the retailer will probably just refund people's money and that's it; I don't see what's so suicidal about that.

Also, they didn't get any release date wrong - it clearly states to be confirmed.

Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

This isn't unusual. If a game doesn't come out, they just cancel and/or refund. They also know how these things work and are as sure as I am that it will be out on the PS4.
    Gamersrespawn 21+ Gaming Community Fun Play Enjoy Respect
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by Driber View Post
    Not the first time a retailer did this. They could be simply concluding that it will come to PS4 since CD stated that it's a timed xbox exclusive, and want to get in on the pre-order sales for when it does. If people pre-order and it turns out there will be no PS4 version, the retailer will probably just refund people's money and that's it; I don't see what's so suicidal about that.

Also, they didn't get any release date wrong - it clearly states to be confirmed.
    TBC- 2014 insinuates a 2014 release, when we know the Xbox version is due at the end of 2015. So if they got it right it would say TBC- 2015 or 2016. More still, personally speaking, you shouldn't take peoples money on a whim without solid information, it makes your business look less reliable as far as information goes. It would be like Gamestop taking pre orders on it, which they aren't, because it makes them look misinformed and less reputable- hurting the business. People may get money back, but you don't think they wouldn't be pissed about the situation? Maybe English folks aren't as easily rattled as Americans are but there would be a fit thrown over here.
    Last edited by LaraRocks2; 09-08-2014 at 07:10 AM.
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by LaraRocks2 View Post
    TBC- 2014 insinuates a 2014 release
    Does it, though? One might just as well read that as "As of 2014, the release date is to be confirmed".

More still, personally speaking, you shouldn't take peoples money on a whim without solid information, it makes your business look less reliable as far as information goes. It would be like Gamestop taking pre orders on it, which they aren't, because it makes them look misinformed and less reputable- hurting the business.
    The way you phrased it now I could agree with. "Business suicide" was OTT, IMO.

People may get money back, but you don't think they wouldn't be pissed about the situation? Maybe English folks aren't as easily rattled as Americans are but there would be a fit thrown over here.
    Oh I'm sure they will. But at who, though? The retailer that offered the pre-order and refunding people's money (=nothing lost), or the game makers for deciding not to release the game on PS4?

My guess would be the latter.

Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

http://www.game.co.uk/en/rise-of-the...62&catGroupId=

This popped up not long ago, not sure if this has been posted or not. Is this company (which is a huge retailer I've read) just super confused.... orrrr do they know something we don't? I'm lost, because how are they taking people's money without even knowing this information?
    It's nothing new that retailers like GAME or GameStop accept preorders for games without a release date. It's simply preordering. When the game comes out, you're guaranteed a copy and you can cancel your preorder at any time. If the game is cancelled or in ROTTR's case, doesn't launch on the PS4, you'll get a refund.

I don't know why it's gathering such a controversy.

TBC- 2014 insinuates a 2014 release, when we know the Xbox version is due at the end of 2015.
    No it doesn't. It insinuates that the release date will be confirmed sometime in 2014. TBC-2014= To Be Confirmed [In] 2014. If the release date isn't announced in 2014, it'll change to TBC-2015. It's a placeholder, which is a lot better than being unprofessional and writing, "We Have No Idea."

GameStop uses the last day of the year as a placeholder. Say a game doesn't have a release date yet; they'll use 12/31/14.

No need to overanalyse.
    "Did somebody say 'vodka?'"
    signature imagesignature image

I think preordering is okay but it does seem a bit early. Like I know I am going to get the game when it comes out for PS4 and it's not like too many people will change their minds about that. Just wish the developers would tell us when it is coming out.