Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: I will definitely be getting Alien: Isolation for PS4

Default I will definitely be getting Alien: Isolation for PS4

Wow! I saw a cg trailer for Alien: Isolation and it looked great. It was meant to convey the idea that, as Amanda Ripley (daughter of Ellen Ripley), you have to run around trying to scrounge, hack, and sneak your way through an eerie space station, all the while trying to stay two steps ahead of the Alien.

While the trailer looked great, and the game has received tons of pre-release accolades, there is something else that snapped my attention to this title....due out October 7th: "Crew Expendable": an add on campaign that allows you to play as Ripley, Parker, or Dallas aboard the USCSS Nostromo. I guess it might be a way to allow you to alter history, and see if you can help the crew of the Nostromo survive its vicious passenger.

While the likenesses of each cg character are astonishing....the real kicker is that they actually managed to get 5 of the 7 original actors to reprise their roles for the add on campaign. Sigourney Weaver, Tom Skerritt, Yaphet Kotto, Veronica Cartwright, and Harry Dean Stanton have returned to the Nostromo as the voices of Ripley, Dallas, Parker, Lambert, and Brett. What little I've seen of the set pieces and sets look stunning!

If the game play is everything that folks have been reported as saying at PAX14, then this could finally be the ALIEN interactive experience we've been waiting for.

Alien: Isolation launches October 7, 2014 on PS4, PS3, PC, Xbox One, and Xbox 360.

In (Cyber)Space, No One Can Hear You Scream.
    Shanghai! Hong Kong! Egg Fu Yung! Fortune cookie always wrong!

I'm totally getting it as well! Normally I don't like FPS... but this is sci-fi, female protagonist, stealth etc. Looks like the kind of game for me, even though I've never seen any Alien movies.

Then you might be in for even more of a treat.

Count me in as well!!
    signature image

chip5541 is offline Battlestations: Midway Lieutenant Commander Eidos Moderator

I'm too scared but I will get it anyway.

Question

I've heard about this, so tell me.... is it good? Is it long?

Quote Originally Posted by chip5541 View Post
    I'm too scared but I will get it anyway.

Same here. I'm am not into horror. I remember watching Scary Movie with my class, I still have a soar throat (and it was about 5 years ago!).

But Isolation seems to be a different kind of scary. No ghosts or other characters to creep you out with their appereance and music tunes. But more of a stalking idea, where one superioir foe is coming after you!

Quina, the game isn't even released yet, so on those questions, nobody knows.
    It could be a total turkey for all we know.
    But,based on what I've heard about PAX14 goer responses, and the number of accolades its received from E3 and other gaming expos, this sounds like it will be a cool title.

And based on the production videos and developer diaries I've been watching, it sounds like these folks know what they're doing.

Http://alienisolation.com

I admittedly am holding my breath that this will FINALLY be the Alien experience many of us have been looking for. But, I do have a little bit of pessimism.

I got the Collector's Edition of Aliens vs. Predator when it came out, but this year I FINALLY decided to play the story. After enjoying it, I was thinking about buying the Collector's Edition of Colonial Marines, and I am definitely getting this. What can I say, I'm a sucker for Alien games.
    signature image

I'll be getting mine for PS3. Just had it put on layaway today. I'd have waited for the release date to purchase, but I WANT the pre-order DLC. Play as the original crew on the Nostromo? Yes, sign me up, please.

'The Evil Within' is next on my list...)
    wintervoices.blogspot.com
    signature image

I thought about pre-ordering it, but I'm gonna let that pass. After Dead Space 2 I figured that I'm not into horror games, not even with a sci-fi jacket. And I don't like FPS anyway.

But... that doesn't mean I'm still going to get this game some time. I'm just not going to pre-order it for the day one experience.

The DLC will be available separately in the future anyway, but it might cost a few bucks.
    And Alien Isolation might be first person, but from all accounts, it is not a shooter. It looks like you might eventually get your hands on a flamethrower at some point, but I have a feeling that will be a rare occurrence. For the most part you are simply trying to stay one or two (preferably, 100....or more) steps ahead of the Alien.

I used the wrong abbreviation, I ment just FP. Personally I prefer 3rd person games. When I play FP I feel blind on so many levels and I just can't get to love to play the character I play as. With 3rd person games, even the once I don't really love, I bond with the character I play as. Usually when I play FP games I only find the other people around me memorable, cause you actually get to see them.

However.. Isolation hás a face. And it's not your usual horror game with creapy looking creatures. It's one big alien stalking you, which is more exciting than scary. So I still like this game, but not for the €65 it will cost on release. Simply because I'm not 100% sure it's going to be worth it.

I can agree with ya there, Adele. Sometimes playing in first person can be.a bit visually claustrophobic in that it doesn't feel quite as open as a 3rd person perspective.

However, if you consider it, first person is perfect for Alien....because if we were able to see all around us, the scare factor would be considerably reduced. If it had a third person view like Resident Evil 4 (just over the shoulder), I could probably accept that level of third person detachment....but not at the level of, oh, say, any of the older RE games, or the older Tomb Raider games.

With first person for Alien, I think that claustrophobic/tunnel visioned sense is what greatly enhances the experience.

I have a couple of friends who also don't like first person games for a bit more biological reasons. They get a bit dizzy, to say the least, when their eyes are telling them something different from what the rest of their body is telling them.

Truth be told, I'm not 100% sure either about the quality of the game, but it does seem to be getting good reviews on tests at gaming conventions....so I am at least cautiously optimistic. The best I can hope for, if it does end up falling short, is that it at least entertains me. It was that way with Colonial Marines (a game that Gearbox dropped the ball on, seriously). I doubt that Sega will ever trust or work with Gearbox ever again. However these developers that Sega are working with for Isolation seem to know what they're doing.

Honestly I can't stand first-person views. I'm not sure why, as 'Doom' and 'Duke Nukem 3d' were games I played religiously way back when. I guess after 'GTA 3', first-person just feels awkward.

If this were any other game, I'd be passing it up. But I loves me the first 'Alien' film to death, and I've been waiting years for an Alien game to go full on with that flicks vibe and tone and not just re-hash 'Aliens' to death with Space Marines and hours of combat. I love 'Aliens' as well, but that films tone is overused in games for me.

'Aliens vs Predator: Extinction' was pretty good tho. Tho admittedly, that was more of a strategy game than anything else.

Haven't played 'Colonial Marines', but I was shocked to hear it be called as bad as it allegedly is. I remember playing 'Half-Life: Opposing Force' years ago (which Gearbox also made) and that was a great game.

But, Climax studios also made 'Landstalker', then years later made'Silent Hill: Origins', so I suppose everyone stumbles now and again.
    wintervoices.blogspot.com
    signature image

I think adding that third dimension to FPS really turned things on its ear....you either loved the addition, or really hated it. Doom, and more specifically Duke Nukem 3D were actually what was later described as 2.5D.

Even though Doom seemed to have elements of elevation in some areas, everything was on a singular plane....which was why you couldn't jump over a creature or other player if you came out of an opening that was directly above them. (I used that to my advantage on more than one occasion in deathmatch, lol.). DN3D kinda sorta resolved that, but it was still ultimately 2.5D.

There is definitely an advantage to being able to see more of the world around you in a third person view on a 3D game. Less likely to have enemies sneak up on you...depending on how far back The camera is pulled back from the character in the 3P perspective.

Colonial Marines, for all its flaws, was in my opinion, pretty enjoyable. My roomie and I play the game cooperatively because we both loved the Aliens movie. And you're right, Aliens (the film) has sired and influenced many video games. Bungie, the original creators of Halo, made no bones about the fact that Aliens was their big influence for Halo...especially in the Earth tech.

It looks like these folks making Isolation might actually have their together in the production of this game. I especially like their approach that if the tech in the game didn't look like it came from a 1979 film, they didn't feature it. (Which may lead to some confusion as to why the tech in Prometheus looked so much more advanced than in Alien....and Prometheus takes place some 30 years before Alien. In-story/universe explanation might be that Prometheus was a scientific exploratory vessel, and the Nostromo was a tug/refinery with minimal aptitude for scientific application.)

And there is that. I get dizzy too, fairly quickly to say the least. I've played every single game with the camera sensitivity as low as it can get. FPS games are the worst.

But I see how FP benefits the new Alien game. Although Dead Space (3rd person, over sholder) can still creep you out as well, when enemies suddenly jump you from the back.

The human body is a curious thing. I suppose it's kinda hard for some of us to even imagine what it's like for someone who would have such an issue with their biology that if their eyes tell their brain one thing, and the body tells their brain another...and the body reacts aversely.

Lord Martok's Eyes: Ermagherd! Ermagherd! She is sooooooo hottttttt!

Lord Martok's Body: Martok, she is a serial killer! Don't even think about trying to tal---oh, boy, he's goin' for it!

Lord Martok's Brain: I think I can stop him before he gets there! (gets on a direct line phone). Hello, locomotion center? Yeah! Listen, I need a big favor. Yes, yes, I know, I still owe you for the last time he --.... Yes, I know, but this is an emergency! Ok....i need you to shut down Martok's legs for a few seconds...trip him up a bit. Yes.....do this or we're all frakked! .....ok, thank you! .... Yes, I know...that's two I owe you. (hangs up phone, and gets on the internal PA system). All hands, brace for sudden deceleration and course change....all hands--!

Martok's body suddenly lurches!!! On the viewport inside his brain is the image of the woman he's been eyeballing....and she now seems to be looking at Martok murderously as a spilled drink runs all down her ridiculously expensive jacket.

Lord Martok's Brain: (gets on the phone again). Hello.....locomotion center! This is On you! Emergency escape mode.....NOW!!!!!

I had a friend back in the day who also had an original PlayStation....when they had the "link cable" functionality for games like Doom and Descent. (Descent was probably one of the first, truly 3D FPS's on PC, and this was a console port a couple years later). So I took my Playstation over and we linked them up to play Descent Maximum. His wife was looking on....and then after a very short while, she'd get a little naggish.

"Umm...honey? I'd like formyou to take out the garbage, please? ........... Like,...now?"

As she tried once more to assert her "dominance", he would start to barrel roll and loop de loop his virtual ship. Next thing I knew, I heard gagging, and the sound of two feet running quickly out of the room.

"Game on," he said.
    Last edited by Lord Martok; 09-22-2014 at 01:31 AM.

I'm not 100% sure I understand what I just read. Sorry.

Sorry....I have a weird sense of humor.

Ah, okay. I especially ment this part: ''...that if their eyes tell their brain one thing, and the body tells their brain another...and the body reacts aversely''. Do they have some kind of brain abnormality?

I'm not a doctor, so I couldn't say it's an abnormality. There are lotsof folks who have it. It's a lot like car-sickness for some folks I'd guess. I don't get car sick or air sick or sea sick, but I can understand some of the circumstances for those who do in the case of car sickness.

Some folks cannot ride in a car unless they are in the front seat so that their eyes and body tell the brain that they agree they are in motion. Some folks cannot read while riding in a car for the same reason. Their body perceives movement, but their eyes aren't confirming it, so they get motion sickness too.

Seasickness and airsickness I couldn't explain. I guess it has to do with pressure or altitude changes, or the rocking motion on a boat or ship on the water. Perhaps someone else here who has experienced it could explain.

I'll tell you this.....I experienced vertigo off of a video game once. I was playing Twisted Metal Black on a 19inch tv/vcr combo. (PS2). My car took a jump off a high edge when I wasn't expecting it, and as it descended, my stomach got butterflies. It was a weird sensation. . It has never happened again, but that one time was crazy.

Ah, that kind. My sister and mother have it. 'Motion sickness' is the translation I believe. I'm glad I didn't inherrit it, I read on the bus/train/car every day.

chip5541 is offline Battlestations: Midway Lieutenant Commander Eidos Moderator

I suffer from it. Can't read while in a moving vehicle and being in the back seat also makes me just as ill. I have also discovered that color combinations may also play into it. I loved the original Medal of Honor on the PC but the add-on Spearhead would just kill me.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast