Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: I will definitely be getting Alien: Isolation for PS4

I would check out Alien before playing. It will serve to clarify some things involving Amanda's mother and help with establishing identities for the Weyland-Yutani Corporation, some tech, and the xenomorph itself.

Plus it's one of the greatest films of all time, so that certainly helps with a reason to watch it.
    signature image
    "@[=g3,8d]\&fbb=-q]/hk%fg"

So mostly Alien 3 then? Oh, what the hey. I'll see if I can make some time to watch the entire trilogy.

Quote Originally Posted by AdeleDazeem View Post
    So mostly Alien 3 then? Oh, what the hey. I'll see if I can make some time to watch the entire trilogy.
    I happen to like Alien3 a lot and described it in the past as being a great movie, but a bad sequel. It starts off with a pretty vicious punch to the gut, but the movie that follows said punch is pretty damn good. On its own merits, I highly recommend it. If you can, check out the Assembly Cut of the movie.

Just... Put a bit of space between watching it and the second movie (Aliens).

Everything after Alien3 is trash, though. Resurrection is garbage, and both AvP movies are some of the schlockiest crap I've ever seen; especially given the series pedigree on the Alien side. They devolve the series into a C grade monster mash-up.
    signature image

Alright, will do. Thanks

I heard that Alien 3 wasn't that great as a sequel, so at least I'm going in prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by AdeleDazeem View Post
    Alright, will do. Thanks

I heard that Alien 3 wasn't that great as a sequel, so at least I'm going in prepared.
    The aforementioned gut punch is one factor, I think. Another is that when it was released it made the promise of seeing the xenomorphs on Earth, then did not even remotely deliver on that premise.

But like I said, on its own merits as a film it's pretty damn great. Most David Fincher movies are, though the production side of the movie was such a nightmare that Fincher disowned the film.

I'm not doing a great job of selling this film, am I?
    signature image

Actually, you are. Before you're posts I didn't even think about watching any of the Alien movies. I, as a sci-fi fan, should be ashamed.

Adele, when I first saw Alien 3 in the theater, I was a little underwhelmed myself. I liked the movie alright, but not near as much as the first two.

However, repeat viewings have allowed Alien 3 to grow on me.
    I completely agree with Master T. If you want to see the best version of Alien 3, I recommend the 2 and a half hour extended cut. Get it on Blu-Ray if you can, as they cleaned up the audio for the dialogue in the exended/additional scenes.

Alien Ressurection, I'll leave to your better judgment. Of all the Alien films, it is the one I like the least, but I still watch it on occasion.

I also did not mind the AvP movies...I just considered them weaker, alternate universe movies (since they completely monkey up the timeline). But yes, ultimately, they are monster mashups that were better off in the comics than on the big screen. I will also warn you that AvP 2: Requiem is far, far more brutal and merciless on sensitivities than the first film...I don't want to spoil it for you, but let's just say, I don't know how you'd feel about it if you are...say...a mother.
    Shanghai! Hong Kong! Egg Fu Yung! Fortune cookie always wrong!

I remember my step-father taking me to see "Alien 3" when I was 10 years old, and that was the most frightening thing I'd ever seen at the time. I had nightmares for months after that. It was the first "Alien" flick I'd ever seen, and looking back I'm pretty sure my 10 year old mind wouldn't have been able to handle the first one at all. My personal list of the best ones are pretty much in order of release.

I dig "Alien 3" tho, the theatrical release. Maybe it's just a nostalgia thing because of my first viewing, but I couldn't get into the "director's cut" at all. Even if it were the worst horror film ever made, the story is solid (a miracle considering what was going on behind the cameras), and there are loads of great visuals. The one thing I don't like about it the most is the 2 people who were killed off in the beginning. That was bull.

For people looking to play this game looking for recommendations, I do advise watching the first "Alien" flick before hand if you've not seen it. As mentioned above, it's not needed, but it does help explain the universe.

I like the story of the game so far. I'll confess I'm not too far along in it yet (level 6 or 7. I've been working LATE these last few days so I'm way behind where I want to be), but as a fan of the series, I've not had any "That doesn't fit the timeline or mythology!" moments yet. So far it's well written and for me engaging and intriguing. I have an idea of how it's going to end, but after seeing all the movies there's really no other way it could end seeing as how it takes place in between the first 2 movies. But I very well could be wrong about that.
    wintervoices.blogspot.com
    signature image

Isolation has really occupied my mind lately. I actually dreamed I was in the game last night!

And thanks for the pro tips guys! I'll see if I can find the BluRays of the trilogy or make do with the DVDs otherwise. Anything is fine with me as long as it's not on VHS.

The Alien Anthology is a good buy. Has all four movies, including both cuts of the first three (Alien/Director's Cut, Aliens/Director's Cut, Alien3/Assembly Cut)

ADDED: I'm stuck at work, so I went back and played AvP '99 on my laptop here for nostalgia's sake. Cripes, I forgot how fast the Alien is in the game. The thing is a demonic black frenetic blur.
    Last edited by Master Taffer; 10-18-2014 at 01:23 AM.
    signature image

Alien Anthology has theatrical and Director's or extended cuts of all four films, actually. . Interesting to note that even though the first film has a couple extra scenes, it's actually a minute shorter than the theatrical release. The suits wanted Scott to restore all the missing scenes, but Scott prevailed, not wanting to ruin the tension of the film. As I understand it, Alien actually had a three hour cut....that is something I personally would love to see. I'm a sucker for extended versions of movies.

I need to go back and play AvP 2 on PC. They did a really good job with that one.
    I still revisit AvP on PS3 on occasion, but I think AvP 2 from years earlier was better.

I've been bouncing between AvP classic and AvP 2 while at work, and the Alien was extremely nerfed from 1 to 2. In the original (non-jaguar) the xenomorph was a speedy blur of death and moved with such velocity that it was blinding to all but the best players out there when moving with a true purpose. Then in 2 they lowered the damage of all the Alien's attacks, restricted horizontal leaping to the limited "pounce" maneuver, and slowed it down quite a bit.

AvP Classic was just a blindingly fast and merciless game all around, and while it was slowed down quite a bit in the sequel AvP 2 made up for it with a far better narrative and story.
    signature image

I was in a pawn shop 'bout a month ago and walked into the extended cuts of all 3 on DVD. Too bad I didn't foresee that I was going to be looking for those.

(click image to enlarge)

You ever have a time in a game where you realize you've missed an entire part of a mechanic and/or interface, and you've potentially missed enough stuff that you feel it warrants starting over?

I didn't realize in the rewiring panels there was more than one screen available. I just thought it was the one screen when you first access it and there weren't multiple sectors.

Hey EFFTARM, can you just kill me now?

Thanks, buddy.
    signature image

Yeah, the first problem I kept running into, Master T, was that when I tried to switch floors on the rewiring panels, they weren't available...so I'd almost given up in trying to access them....but they do come into play later.

I think I visited 4 or 5 boxes before I realized you could do that. I'm expecting to be royally screwed over at some point (I'm sure I'll be re-wiring one again and get caught by Marv or a Joe) because of it, but it hasn't happened yet.

So I've got a free day today, and am currently taking a break from 'Isolation'. I've really gained some good ground this morning. I've just gotten a certain thrower of flames, and I'm pumped. I think I've finally gotten all blueprints available, have a good inventory of items, and I'm not AS afraid of Marvin as I have been before. And I'm still loving this game, despite having encountered a couple of glitches.

I crouched down behind a box to hide from Marvin earlier, and when I did I crouched right through it and fell into space. When I got back in the corridor, he (I think) saw me come back through the floor and found me right away. I also got stuck in one of the J boxes earlier. I went to re-wire a circuit and couldn't get out of the box afterwards, no how much I pushed the O button or what I did inside the box. Anyone else hit hose bugs?

But I still LOVE this game. My favorite level so far is...
    I absolutely LOVED that part, and found myself wishing it were longer. Creative Assembly did a fantastic job of re-creating that environment, and I wish now more than ever I could play this game in VR.

Speaking of which, Gamespot has a vid on YouTube of people doing that. I'd like to post it here, but it's VERY explicit.

And I've also been watching a "Let's Play" on YouTube (only the bits I've already played myself) by a user named TetraNinja. I recommend that. It's very entertaining. He is by no means a Ninja and it's hilarious.
    signature image

Nice try, buddy...

(click image to enlarge)
    signature image

^^^ Yeah he got me like that a few times. Usually when I was trying to avoid a Joe. And the level where

So how far along is everyone?
    signature image

I've beaten the game.

I'm still at it due to work and my save file getting corrupted due to the power outtage.
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by Master Taffer View Post
    I'm still at it due to work and my save file getting corrupted due to the power outtage.

I'd check to see if Weyland-Yutani is behind that.

Seriously, damn, I am sorry to year about your save file, your hard work, getting screwed because of a power outage.

First post launch DLC comes out on the 28th of this month and is titles "Corporate Lockdown". Apparently they are going to feature stories of other people aboard the station prior to the Torrens' arrival, which is an awesome idea. It also comes with three new challenge maps and a "Gauntlet" mode that requires you to beat all three in a row without dying.

ADDED: Okay... Now I'm scared. I was all prepared to come in here and make a comment about how the flamethrower kinda breaks the game because of how effective it is at scaring it off. Five times in a row I scared it off. The sixth time, I just pointed it at the alien and it stopped dead in its tracks, stared at me a moment, then left in another direction. I didn't fire a single blast at it....

Did it seriously recognize the flamethrower?
    Last edited by Master Taffer; 10-21-2014 at 11:04 AM.
    signature image

It learns, yeah. I can't speak for the flamethrower, but I do know that after maybe 4 or 5 times, it would just ignore my flares entirely and seemed to change it's course and come straight to where I'd thrown the flare from. So I just stopped using them, and went with a mix between noisemakers and flashbangs after that.

My flamethrower experience was vast, but also limited. I probably blasted that thing with it 25 times, but after about 2 or 3, it'd get me later and I'd have to re-load a game. So I've never really had a "constant flamethrower blast" experience with it on a save file. I'm not gonna doubt it'd recognize it tho. It's not a stupid A.I.

One cool thing I did do once tho was I had to go down a set of stairs to flip a switch. That's all you do on these stairs: Go down, enter a room, flip it, then go back up. He wasn't on the stairs when I went down. But he was when I came back up. Needless to say it freaked me out 'cos I'd thought he was two rooms over on the floor above and suddenly he's RIGHT THERE. So I go to blast him with the flamethrower.

Hit L2, and my revolver pops up. I'd accidentally switched weapons somewhere and not known it, and I'm sure we all know how effective the gun is on him. So I let out a curse as he screams and starts charging me. I think: "Eff it, I'm dead anyways." and fire the gun. I missed him, but not the gas pipe BEHIND him (that I had no clue was there), which exploded into flame and scared him away. You have no idea how big my sigh of relief was (I was way past a save point at the time) and how lucky I felt. I could probably play this game 100 more times and never have that dumb luck again.

And did anyone else notice it seems to get much more aggressive after being hit with the flamethrower? It seemed like it was spending a helluva lot LESS time in vents after my first blast on it.
    signature image

I've found that the Alien can be awarded off with short bursts from the flame thrower. ... it's a good way to conserve fuel. It might take a couple short bursts for It to get the point. .. but it is good for conserving when FT fuel might seem scarce.

Also, you can avoid the Alien if It is in ceiling vents just by side stepping them instead of walking directly under them, even if there is slime dripping from the vent, which is a good indicator (besides its shrieks) that It is in the vent. That has saved my bacon more than once. Just walk. .. don't sprint.... walk.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Martok View Post
    I've beaten the game.
    Was it really 20 hours long?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast