Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: I will definitely be getting Alien: Isolation for PS4

On second thought, I'll play later. The Alien is in a really bad mood today.
    signature image
    "@[=g3,8d]\&fbb=-q]/hk%fg"

That bad, eh?
    Shanghai! Hong Kong! Egg Fu Yung! Fortune cookie always wrong!

Yeah.

Not that it matters, PSN is down for maintenance and can't verify the license on my digital copy. Couldn't play right now even if I wanted.
    signature image

Gaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh! That Alien could be anywhere now! Watch yourself, Master T!

Well, I found out what was clogging the overhead ac vents in the Sevastpol earlier. That was a pretty good jump. I honestly didn't hear a thing beforehand. First time he's nailed me that way.
    wintervoices.blogspot.com
    signature image

I got nailed that way. Earlier I also found out he'll crouch down and look under tables.
    signature image

^^^^^ Yeah I was afraid he'd figure that out at some point. He seems to have lost interest in my flares now. I think the new numbers are something like...

Excellently Executed By The Star: 15 (plus or minus 2)

LoL I'm doing terrible at this game now! That random spawning they put in is kicking my ass! And I should be frustrated, but for some reason, I'm not.

And you know, I dig the Working Joes. I think that's a clever idea, and they look great. And their voices are so creepy. The first encounter with them...
    gave me the heebie jeebies and so far has been just as memorable for me as the Star's first full mano-a-xeno reveal.

EDIT: Check this out...
    http://www.polygon.com/2014/10/10/69...on-oculus-rift
    signature image

I would love to play Alien Isolation in VR. I can only imagine how immersive and terrifying an experience it would be. Like the guy who wrote that article, I would probably have to step out of that world every couple of hours, but to get the feeling that you are in that universe would be worth it.

Yeah I can only handle a couple hours at a time now, so I'm sure I'd maybe make it an hour once I got past the intro in VR. Maybe.

I'd like to play 'Half-Life' in VR as well. With updated graphics and sound of course.
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by WinterSoldier View Post
    Yeah I can only handle a couple hours at a time now, so I'm sure I'd maybe make it an hour once I got past the intro in VR. Maybe.

I'd like to play 'Half-Life' in VR as well. With updated graphics and sound of course.
    Oh yeah! Pretty much any well made first person game I would love to play in VR. Heck, I would love to play updated versions of Xwing Vs TIE Fighter or Xwing Alliance in VR.

I didn't even think about "Star Wars" games. That could be awesome! And it'd be nice to play 'Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast' again. Kyle Katarn, I miss thee...
    signature image

In the words of everyone's favorite Jaffa warrior:
    "Indeed".

Last Survivor DLC is now available for everyone to purchase/download. It's included with the season pass.
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Martok View Post
    In the words of everyone's favorite Jaffa warrior:
    "Indeed".
    Jaffa?

(click image to enlarge)

@ABH

Quote Originally Posted by Master Taffer View Post
    Last Survivor DLC is now available for everyone to purchase/download. It's included with the season pass.
    Yeah, so I preordered my copy through Gamestop, which had "Last Survivor" as a bonus as well as "Crew Expendable". Now truthfully, I don't like GameStop. The guys & gals that work at the ones I've been to (there are 4 near my hometown) are always very rude and generally dismissive with customers. But in the town I'm in now, it's the only place to pick up games besides Wal-Mart. Went in there last month or so to put my pre-order in, saw the new GameInformer on the counter with 'Alien' on the cover, asked if the dude would ring it up for me. "Ah, we really don't sell them anymore. That stack is for promotions only."

I tell him I'm a subscriber (which is no lie) and that I'm away from home and have been for a month and it'll be another 2 months before I can get back home (again, no lie), and "is there something we can work out here?". Dude looks down at the magazine, looks back at me, back at the stack. He then reaches down and hands me one saying: "Yeah absolutely, sir. As far as the bigshots go, sometimes we count 1 too many when the shipment comes in. Have a nice day!" Classy guy!

Fast forward two weeks when I go to get my game on it's release day. Same dude working the register. "Hey man, you ready for it?" he asks. Then he flops down a copy of 'Alien' for the Xbone on the counter. "Ah no, I asked for a PS3" I say. "Oh..." he then goes into a drawer, looks a bit, then turns back 'round. "Well, we've only got 2 copies for PS3 in. We didn't have any other pre-orders for it." I show him my receipt which clearly says "PS3". He reads it, then looks at me almost heartbroken and says: "Well, here's the deal. Those two are reserved, and we don't have anymore. I'm sorry but it'll take 2 days to get anotherPS3 copy in."

"No problem", I say. "I'll come back then." I didn't want to make a big deal because it IS just a video game and I was well capable of waiting another 2 days, plus I'm sure he deals with enough jerks on a day to day, AND he hooked me up with a magazine. So I turn around and start to leave and he goes "Hang on, sir." I turn back around and he slides one of the two PS3 copies to me. "You paid for yours in full, the other two only dropped $5 on theirs. Clearly you're much more serious about it then they are. Take it."

I tell him I'm not looking to get him in any kind of trouble with anyone, and it's really no big deal. "Dude, people that only put $5 down most likely will wait until payday on Friday before coming back. And if they show up, they'll yell, I'll order another one, they'll come back and get it and go, and I'll still go home at the end of the day. Take it." So I did. Again, classy guy!

Get back to the motel and open it up, and there's no DLC code for "Last Survivor" in the booklet or on my receipt, only "Crew Expendable". I'm upset, but after all he's done for me, I'm not about to go back and be like: "Hey man, I know you've hooked a guy up, BUT..." so I let it go for a couple days. Go back tuesday and it's a different guy behind the counter. Explain the scenario and he does a bit of research on a computer. "Hmm... I'm not seeing it for PS3." He says. "It's only mentioned as DLC for PS4 and Xbone." I mention how that seems a bit odd and effed up, in a polite way. "Yeah, it is," he says. Then he types something in, a receipt prints out with a code on it. "Tell ya what," he says. "I'm not 100% sure this'll work, but try this and if it doesn't work come back and we'll get you another one." TWO classy guys in ONE GameStop! Get back to the motel, fire up the PS3 and punch in the code.

And it worked. I've not played it yet, but I can't wait. I'm trying to get through more of the main campaign first.

But yeah, say what you negativities you will about GameStop as a whole, but those 2 gents in that 1 store were some of the most helpful and polite clerks I've ever dealt with in a situation where most people would not acknowledge or try to correct their mistake/companies error.

And that's my "Last Survivor" story. Sorry to rant, I just never get to talk to many people about things like that IRL and be taken seriously and/or really listened to. Video games are for kids, after all, right?
    signature image

@ABH

Yeah, so I preordered my copy through Gamestop, which had "Last Survivor" as a bonus as well as "Crew Expendable". Now truthfully, I don't like GameStop. The guys & gals that work at the ones I've been to (there are 4 near my hometown) are always very rude and generally dismissive with customers. But in the town I'm in now, it's the only place to pick up games besides Wal-Mart. Went in there last month or so to put my pre-order in, saw the new GameInformer on the counter with 'Alien' on the cover, asked if the dude would ring it up for me. "Ah, we really don't sell them anymore. That stack is for promotions only."

I tell him I'm a subscriber (which is no lie) and that I'm away from home and have been for a month and it'll be another 2 months before I can get back home (again, no lie), and "is there something we can work out here?". Dude looks down at the magazine, looks back at me, back at the stack. He then reaches down and hands me one saying: "Yeah absolutely, sir. As far as the bigshots go, sometimes we count 1 too many when the shipment comes in. Have a nice day!" Classy guy!

Fast forward two weeks when I go to get my game on it's release day. Same dude working the register. "Hey man, you ready for it?" he asks. Then he flops down a copy of 'Alien' for the Xbone on the counter. "Ah no, I asked for a PS3" I say. "Oh..." he then goes into a drawer, looks a bit, then turns back 'round. "Well, we've only got 2 copies for PS3 in. We didn't have any other pre-orders for it." I show him my receipt which clearly says "PS3". He reads it, then looks at me almost heartbroken and says: "Well, here's the deal. Those two are reserved, and we don't have anymore. I'm sorry but it'll take 2 days to get anotherPS3 copy in."

"No problem", I say. "I'll come back then." I didn't want to make a big deal because it IS just a video game and I was well capable of waiting another 2 days, plus I'm sure he deals with enough jerks on a day to day, AND he hooked me up with a magazine. So I turn around and start to leave and he goes "Hang on, sir." I turn back around and he slides one of the two PS3 copies to me. "You paid for yours in full, the other two only dropped $5 on theirs. Clearly you're much more serious about it then they are. Take it."

I tell him I'm not looking to get him in any kind of trouble with anyone, and it's really no big deal. "Dude, people that only put $5 down most likely will wait until payday on Friday before coming back. And if they show up, they'll yell, I'll order another one, they'll come back and get it and go, and I'll still go home at the end of the day. Take it." So I did. Again, classy guy!

Get back to the motel and open it up, and there's no DLC code for "Last Survivor" in the booklet or on my receipt, only "Crew Expendable". I'm upset, but after all he's done for me, I'm not about to go back and be like: "Hey man, I know you've hooked a guy up, BUT..." so I let it go for a couple days. Go back tuesday and it's a different guy behind the counter. Explain the scenario and he does a bit of research on a computer. "Hmm... I'm not seeing it for PS3." He says. "It's only mentioned as DLC for PS4 and Xbone." I mention how that seems a bit odd and effed up, in a polite way. "Yeah, it is," he says. Then he types something in, a receipt prints out with a code on it. "Tell ya what," he says. "I'm not 100% sure this'll work, but try this and if it doesn't work come back and we'll get you another one." TWO classy guys in ONE GameStop! Get back to the motel, fire up the PS3 and punch in the code.

And it worked. I've not played it yet, but I can't wait. I'm trying to get through more of the main campaign first.

But yeah, say what you negativities you will about GameStop as a whole, but those 2 gents in that 1 store were some of the most helpful and polite clerks I've ever dealt with in a situation where most people would not acknowledge or try to correct their mistake/companies error.

And that's my "Last Survivor" story. Sorry to rant, I just never get to talk to many people about things like that IRL and be taken seriously and/or really listened to. Video games are for kids, after all, right?
    Wow, sounds like two very nice guys. Always nice to see that.
    signature image

Yeah, that's pretty cool! Really nice that, in the end, you still got your code.

Yeah, that was very cool of them, Soldier.
    I didn't see a code for "Last Survivor" either, but I'm not overly worried about it. And I have the PS4 version. I'll just wait for it to become mainstream DLC.

I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on Last Survivor.

ABH!

Isn't it funny they have extra DLC for the 'older' consoles instead of the next-gen ones?

^^^ It's available for all consoles. I don't think the "older" ones are dead yet tho. Being phased out, yes, but not dead. Most of the "current" gen games still end up being available on "last gen", and I think if developers and studios really believed that they were dying out that wouldn't be so. There's an exclusive 'Assasin's Creed' coming to PS3 & 360, but not "current gen", and 'MGS5' will be available on last gen as well. "Top tier" titles like those would be current gen exclusives if the elders were truly going away.
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Martok View Post
    Yeah, that was very cool of them, Soldier.
    I didn't see a code for "Last Survivor" either, but I'm not overly worried about it. And I have the PS4 version. I'll just wait for it to become mainstream DLC.

I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on Last Survivor.

ABH!
    It's mainstream DLC right now, actually. I didn't get Last Survivor with my "preorder" either. Quotes around preorder because I committed to a purchase once the reviews were approving right before release day.
    signature image

What do you guys think of Amanda's voice actor? I'm playing Remember Me now and saw they were voiced by the same person. In Remember Me she's really good

I think she's good. I haven't played 'Remember Me', but I like her performance so far.
    signature image

I think she's good. I haven't played 'Remember Me', but I like her performance so far.
    And the story? I play games for their story over gameplay and I wanted to ask this for a while:

How necessary is basic knowledge of the Alien movies?

Well, you might want to simply have at least seen the film? It's not uber-required, but it does help. Also helps if you are at least familiar with the scene in the director's cut of ALIENS where Ripley and Burke discuss her daughter.

They aren't required viewing to enjoy the game, but they do provide context.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast