Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: I will definitely be getting Alien: Isolation for PS4

Smack dab in the center. Home town is Boone, but I'm currently living in Ames. Lived in Oregon, Virginia, Illinois, Texas, and Iceland, though.
    signature image
    "@[=g3,8d]\&fbb=-q]/hk%fg"

I wanna say I had a friend that went to college in Ames, but I could mistaken and thinking of the wrong town. I know he didn't go in Des Moines. Bah, it escapes me. Sounds like you've had some good travels. Seems like everyone I meet from Iowa always ends up living in a bunch of different places. Never seems to be the case for the locals of other states (that I've been in, anyways). Strange.

Played a good 2 hours of the game this evening, and I'm loving it. Well worth the wait. The mood and atmosphere is spot on. I couldn't be happier. Fingers crossed it's not spoiled later on.
    wintervoices.blogspot.com
    signature image

Iowa State University is here in Ames. College students make this town obnoxious at times.

I had that moment before work where I shifted from "This game is pretty good" to "I love this game!"

I wanted to play but only had a short while before I headed out for work, so I tried the "Crew Expendable" DLC. At one point I went through a door and the xenomorph was all the way at the end of the hallway, out of range of the motion tracker but in full view. It started sprinting down the hallway towards me and I let a burst from my flamethrower go. It quickly changed direction to the right because of the fire, and I sprinted to the left. I ran into a room and headed for the nearest cover hoping it lost track of me long enough to hide. All the sudden somethng grabbed me by the neck and I shot up into the ceiling and was face to face with it. Death by snappy tongue.

It had gone in a vent and ambushed me in the room when I walked under a ceiling duct. Scared the bejeezus out of me with that "Clever girl" moment.

So yeah, I love this game. Moments like tha really make an impression.
    signature image

My Estimated Death tally:

Death by humans: 5
    Death by androids: 2
    Death by stupidity: 1
    Death by the star of the show: 1 (and it scared the bejeezus out of me when it happened....the Alien grabbed me from a ceiling vent...and I heard it beforehand too....so, I guess make that 2 deaths by stupidity )
    Androids killed: 2
    Shanghai! Hong Kong! Egg Fu Yung! Fortune cookie always wrong!

Death Tally thus far:

Death By Humans: 0
    Death By Working Joes: 0
    Death By "EFFTARM" (Eight ing Foot Tall Alien Rape Monster): 6
    Humans Killed: 0
    Androids Killed: 1

ADDED: Make that seven deaths by EFFTARM...
    signature image

Aaah..you're playing Crew Expendable. Hahaha....I hadda reread your post.
    I was scratching my head, thinking, wow, MT's really cruisin' along if he's run into the Alien THAT many times in the main campaign!

My count thus far...

Death by humans: 6
    Death by Alien (or as I like to call him, "Marvin"): 0
    Accidental wrong button presses, resulting in death: 1
    Humans killed: 3
    Cigarettes chain smoked due to tension: 4 (smoking is bad for you, kids)
    Times I've been glad I'm not playing it on the Occulus Rift, yet long to experience that someday: 2
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Martok View Post
    Aaah..you're playing Crew Expendable. Hahaha....I hadda reread your post.
    I was scratching my head, thinking, wow, MT's really cruisin' along if he's run into the Alien THAT many times in the main campaign!
    No, that's from campaign.
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by Master Taffer View Post
    No, that's from campaign.
    Wow...you are far along.

Soldier, my butt has been puckered ever since I turned on the PS4 for my second round with Alien Isolation, lol, so I completely get ya'!

The folks at CA have really done Alien justice. I--

oh, , it's coming closer....gotta hide.

Hahaha....

It's kinda sad for me too...I used to have a big ginger cat who looked a lot like Jonesy from Alien, so that's what I named him. He ran away a couple of years ago because of some roadwork being done just outside my apartment. (he was an indoor/outdoor cat whom I'd simply taken in at the time, and he stayed with me for a good couple of years before the roadwork. We were bestest of buddies. And he ruled my street with an iron paw! Hahahaha.). I would love to have Jonesy by my side as I play this....it would certainly add to the already strong authenticity of this game. . Wherever he is, I hope he is safe and happy.

Btw, it really helps if you have a surround sound headset for this game. In addition to the motion tracker (which you must use with caution, as enemies can hear it if they're close), a surround sound headset can be your best friend in this game.
    Last edited by Lord Martok; 10-09-2014 at 08:21 PM.

Power went out while saving and the file got corrupted. Dagnabbit. Started over, and discovered you can encounter the Alien earlier in the campaign than expected.

Man, I really want the OST to this game. Whoever worked on it really give a sense that they expanded Jerry Goldsmith's work int he original film.
    signature image

Yeah I dig how faithful they were to the audio of the movie, and how the "pursuit music" blends with it so well. That's a bummer about the save file, Taffer.

I'm currently TRYING to play "Crew Expendable", but I'm not gonna lie, I've had to take a couple of breaks from it.

New numbers...

Androids Killed: 4
    Death by Android: 7 (they ganged up on me a couple of times, the bastards)
    Death by Marvin: 5
    Breaks Needed For Too Much Tension: 3
    Revolver Bullets Left: 1
    Times I Tried Hiding In A Locker Before I Figured Out That's Pretty Much Worthless: 2
    signature image

After I finish the main campaign, I'm gonna take on Crew Expendable.

I've made a lot of progress, and managed to come up with a technique to prolong avoidance with the Alien...and it's got about 90 percent effectiveness.

But shortly after the Alien came into the picture, I've lost track of how many times I've been killed by whom or what.

Every time the Alien has located me, I would darn near crap myself. You're right, Soldier. Hiding in lockers is useless. In truth, I find hiding under desks, beds, counters, ducking into floor vents, etc to be more effective. I haven't run into the Alien in wall vents....yet....but I am very cautious about going into those crawlspaces.

This is the first game I've played in a long time that has made me flinch, jump, or yowl out of surprise. I'm lovin' it!
    Last edited by Lord Martok; 10-11-2014 at 06:03 PM.

One of the guys I work with is a huge gamer, and I've been talking to him about this game since I got it. "You HAVE to play it!" I've said. "Nah, not really into survival horror." he's said back. Finally today, I convinced him to come back to my hotel room after work (minds out of the gutters please) and check it out.

Now, last night I spent a couple of hours trying "Crew Expendable" and got nowhere...

It just became too much and I had to stop for the night. Since my co-worker was wanting to see Marvin in action, I fired up for "CE" for him, and handed him the controller. He was digging the flamethrower, and ready to kick some ass. "Well, it's more of a sneaking game. You can't kill it, you just hide from it." I say. He goes: "Oh, ok."...

45 minutes later I got a text from him asking me how much the game costs and where I got it from. Got a "Thanks dude. That's a great game." back as a response when I told him.
    signature image

I think we have a convert, folks!

I suddenly resent having gainful employment. I'd rather be somewhere that nobody can hear me scream right now.
    signature image

chip5541 is offline Battlestations: Midway Lieutenant Commander Eidos Moderator

Looks like I am going to have to put this on my Christmas list along with the PS4

Quote Originally Posted by chip5541 View Post
    Looks like I am going to have to put this on my Christmas list along with the PS4

(click image to enlarge)
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by Master Taffer View Post
    I suddenly resent having gainful employment. I'd rather be somewhere that nobody can hear me scream right now.
    Lol! I hear ya', Master T! (Not to be confused with Mr.T....lol)
    Sometimes even when I'm singing a gig on Bourbon Street (which is my regular job), I find myself wishing I were back at my apartment, being hunted by the Alien.

My roomie recently bought Alien Isolation for his 360, and even though he hasn't quite sat down with it the way I have, he's pretty taken in by the nature of the game so far. (He's more into the action aspect of ALIENS: Colonial Marines, but he's digging the tension of this game.)

This is probably the best Alien related game I've played since AvP 2 nearly 13 years ago.

Not a lot of greatness for the last decade in the franchise.
    signature image

Yeah, AvP 2 for the PC was really good. The graphics and sounds at the time looked and sounded really good, and it played quite well.

The recent versions of AvP for consoles and PC are pretty good, but they didn't review quite as well as the older AvP 2.

And I agree...definitely the best Alien related title in years.

Yeah I miss those old AvP games. My buddies and I used to get in trouble for playing the Gold Edition in computer lab instead of doing homework. That multiplayer was so much fun.

'Extinction' was good tho. More a RTS than action/horror, and had a few bugs (none making it unplayable) but it was cool. It actually expanded the mythology of the Aliens and Predators in a really creative and cool way that hasn't been re-visited since.
    signature image

I had debated getting Extinction at one point, but at the time, I wasn't really into RTS titles. I might have to see if I can find it used somewhere.

^^^ It's pretty cheap (Where I live at least.) nowadays. I picked mine up for around $7 if I remember right. It didn't have an instruction manual, but there's a tutorial that teaches you everything you need to know for all 3 classes, so it's not a "must-have".
    signature image

Sick as a dog today, so I'm locking myself in my bedroom and playing all day. It's pitch black in here due to blacked out windows.

Thus far, feeling like crap is certainly amplifying the awful and dread.
    signature image

Will have to give it a looksee then. Thanks, Soldier.

Master T, I hope you get to feeling better. In the meantime, enjoy your sickness-enhanced experience aboard the Sevastapol.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast