Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: I will definitely be getting Alien: Isolation for PS4

Hi, Chip. I really feel for folk who suffer from such things (although I will admit, my friend getting his wife to leave the gaming room....in a hurry because of what he did on Descent Maximum was pretty funny ). But in truth, I do feel for them....I guess it is something that although I can deduce it out at a medical/biological level, I cannot imagine how it must be for them on a personal level.
    Shanghai! Hong Kong! Egg Fu Yung! Fortune cookie always wrong!

There just a few options I want in a game:

1. Turn on English subtitles
    2. Invert X and Y axis for aiming and camera
    3. Make the camera move as slow as it can get without being too slow.

Espeically in FP games I prefer to have to option. So I hope Isolation has it.

Quote Originally Posted by WinterSoldier View Post
    Haven't played 'Colonial Marines', but I was shocked to hear it be called as bad as it allegedly is. I remember playing 'Half-Life: Opposing Force' years ago (which Gearbox also made) and that was a great game.

But, Climax studios also made 'Landstalker', then years later made'Silent Hill: Origins', so I suppose everyone stumbles now and again.
    And they made Borderlands, which most everyone seems to adore (I own the GOTY edition of the first one, but have yet to play it.

I was thinking about buying the collector's edition of Colonial Marines, as it is only $28 on Amazon, which I think is a great deal, even just for the statue.

Also, although I know it was a bit divided in it's reviews, I really enjoyed the Aliens vs Predator game from 2010.
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by The Zoo Boy View Post
    And they made Borderlands, which most everyone seems to adore (I own the GOTY edition of the first one, but have yet to play it.

Yeah, a co-worker asked me if I'd played that before once. I said: "No, what's it about? Any good?" and all he said was: "It's got ALOT of guns in it." and that was it. I still don't know what it's about. I know it's apparently got a lot of guns, and a funny robot. I don't think in any of the articles I've read about it the story has been mentioned once. They always talk about guns, and dissect the character Claptrap. Seems... weird to me that that's all everyone seems to focus on or talk about. Just doesn't convince me to pick up a copy.
    wintervoices.blogspot.com
    signature image

WinterSoldier, basically, the gist of the game is to shoot up enemies and collect loot, which is usually guns and launchers of various types and elements. Going online with a buddy or two is supposed to yield better loot and weapons.

My love for Gearbox is about at an end, however. I think Colonial Marines, (the game that is vilified because Gearbox dropped the ball, and Randy Pitchford did a song and dance, while GB pulled a bait and switch) is the only game that (ironically) I will keep. The Borderlands games, while funny and fun, are all too representative of just how badly Gearbox and Pitchford screwed gamers and Sega while diverting funds to Borderlands 2 that they were given by Sega to produce Colonial Marines, and then outsourced CM's production to a lesser developer.

Gearbox can bite me.

^^^ Yeah doesn't sound like my kind of game, but maybe if I actually play it my mind may change. That's happened before.

Anyways...

One more week 'till 'Isolation'. I'm getting excited.
    signature image

^^^ Yeah doesn't sound like my kind of game, but maybe if I actually play it my mind may change. That's happened before.

Anyways...

One more week 'till 'Isolation'. I'm getting excited.
    Me toooooooooooooooo..............

Saw the pre/review. Looking good!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xOgKvqFZ70

Lol.....I'd watch the pre/review, but at 30 minutes long.....I'd be afraid of in-game spoilers....so, I'll be content with just salivating at the commercials, until Oct. 07.. . Just five more dayyyyssssss.....gaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!

No spoilers. It's mostly talking about the gameplay in general. It's a really good video for those who aren't sure about spending $70 on this game. Without getting anything spoiled.

Kewl.

chip5541 is offline Battlestations: Midway Lieutenant Commander Eidos Moderator

Reviews are hitting a lot of 50 - 60% range. Not good

Reviews are always crap. I remember how Knack got that same range, but that game is actually pretty darn good! I've never relied on reviews and I'm not gonna start now. From what I've seen the games looks really exciting, rather than scary.

I'm playing Dead Space right now and I'd like to use it as an comparrison. (Don't worry, no spoilers. Just gameplay wise). Dead Space is scary because of what you can and can't see. Sounds are creapy, but the design of the enemies make you run backwards just as hard. Alien: Isolation isn't scary like that. The Alien isn't scary to look at, neither does it try to be. It's the feel of, well, 'isolation' that you have. There are limited places to hide and the Alien is very clever. At some point it's gonna look under the tables, behind the boxes etc.

It reminds me a lot of a game me and my friends made up when we were kids. On birthdays we had the entire house for ourselves in the dark. One person would stalk the hallways looking for the rest, while they hide. It's awesome to see that game we made in a video game!

IGN and Gamespot are the only major publications I see giving it a middle road review. Other internet sites and reviewers are giving it good reviews to outright praise.

I have not read Gamespot's review of Isolation, but IGN's I suspect has more to do with Ryan McCaffrey's bizarre and fickle reviewing style. He's not the kind of guy I would ever go to for an opinion on a game like this.

Hell, I wouldn't go to him for a review period, but that's just me.

The only strikes against the game that concern me are human enemies aren't that good and the game is excessively long (around 20 hours for many reviewers). A sustained 20 hour heart attack seems a bit much for me. But I'm a die hard Alien fan and I would love to consume a piece of media where the xenomorphs are terrifying again rather than just cannon fodder.
    signature image
    "@[=g3,8d]\&fbb=-q]/hk%fg"

chip5541 is offline Battlestations: Midway Lieutenant Commander Eidos Moderator

I haven't been happy with IGN since they made fun and criticized Farscape fans trying to save the show.

I will still have to wait until March to get when I get a PS4.

Quote Originally Posted by Master Taffer View Post
    The only strikes against the game that concern me are human enemies aren't that good and the game is excessively long (around 20 hours for many reviewers).
    20 hours?! As someone who isn't really an Alien fan I gotta think that one through. I don't have a lot of time on my hands anymore and there's a ton of other games I'd rather spend that little amount of time on.

Yeah, 20 hours is either gonna be great, or it'll be the scariest aspect of the game. If it's as good as I'm hoping it is, I won't mind it. If it' not an enjoyable game, that could definitely suck. I prefer long games, tho.

Can't say as I've ever really paid attention to reviewers. If I do, it's fan made reviews by people who seem to have actually played the full game and genuinely have a passion for spreading the word about games, as opposed to having that passion and being paid for it. I'm one of those that thinks there is corruption in every form of journalism, some forms just moreso than others.
    signature image

True. And it's probably 20 hours lomg because of the difficulty. From what I've seen the game can be very unforgiving. But fair, but fair.

Got it preloaded and waiting for it to unlock. Should be good times. 35 minutes left to wait.
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by Master Taffer View Post
    Got it preloaded and waiting for it to unlock. Should be good times. 35 minutes left to wait.

It took me a while to understand that.

Have fun! Tell us what you think when you've played it for a while.

I played a good 4 hours tonight before I was finally grabbed and eviscerated by you know who and decided that was enough heart attacks for one evening. The game looks gorgeous, sounds just flat out amazing, and they aren't kidding when they say the xenomorph in the game seems to act on its own accord. I spent a good half an hour playing cat and mouse with it just trying to get to the opposite side of the deck I was on, and he never seemed to be following any perceivable pattern for a second. He knew I was there and was looking for me, setting up camp and meandering around until he got bored then would hop in a vent to check another part of the area. He finally nabbed me in a room where I was hiding in a locker. He got REALLY close and I forgot to hold my breath.

It's very tense, there's little to no levity to break said tension, and the game is quite unforgiving. Getting caught by humans or androids is beyond dangerous, and getting caught by the alien is just certain death Patience and observation is a virtue, to be sure. If you want something fast paced, look elsewhere.
    signature image

Thanks for the update. So far the game sound like I would expect. I'm going to a game convention this saturday where they should have a playable demo. That's the final step.

Picked mine up after work today, and after checking e-mails here in a bit, I'm diving in.

@Taffer: Hello, fellow Iowegian
    signature image

@Taffer: Hello, fellow Iowegian
    Whar aboats you frem?
    signature image

Grew up in Lineville, right on the Iowa/Missouri border. Middle of nowhere town, maybe 1,000 people there at best back then. Haven't been there in years.
    signature image

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast