Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 76 to 86 of 86

Thread: Lara Croft: The RPG

  1. #76
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Mater Urbium
    Posts
    19,834

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by adobeARTIST View Post
    her lips may say "no", but her body says "yes, yes, yeeeess, YEEESSSSS"

    Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

  2. #77
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    River Ridge, LA
    Posts
    1,749

    Default

    ^That is one of the cutest pics I have ever seen!...even if it is photoshopped.


    I can envision other captions:


    "Whatchu talkin' 'bout, Willis?!"
    "We di'n't lan' awn Plymouth Rock! Plymouth Rock lan' awn us!"
    "Cat with specs reading a newspaper: your argument is invalid!"
    "Judging you!"



    Note: dialectic Not intended to offend anyone's ethnicity or socio-political sensibilities.
    Shanghai! Hong Kong! Egg Fu Yung! Fortune cookie always wrong!

  3. #78
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Mater Urbium
    Posts
    19,834

    Default

    Haha yes you're right, the "judging you" caption would work perfect there

    Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

  4. #79
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    764

    Default

    IMO, you can't really say "Lara Croft: The RPG". It will never be. Not even AoD was "rpg". I think even the trope "RPG elements" is invalid - you add something that was once popular to real role playing games and you have RPG elements?

    I guess with that logic now CoD, Battlefield and the like have rpg elements because you can alter your kit and character.

    If you want Lara Croft the RPG the options need to be pervasive and meaningful - not "oh, I chose that response so they said something slightly different".
    signature image

  5. #80
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,923

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by adobeARTIST View Post
    her lips may say "no", but her body says "yes, yes, yeeeess, YEEESSSSS"
    Paws off our Lara!



    Don't send me PM's I'm too classy for that kind of thing. (my inbox is full, kay?)
    signature image

  6. #81
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Citadel
    Posts
    4,091

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by darksaiyan View Post
    IMO, you can't really say "Lara Croft: The RPG". It will never be. Not even AoD was "rpg". I think even the trope "RPG elements" is invalid - you add something that was once popular to real role playing games and you have RPG elements?

    I guess with that logic now CoD, Battlefield and the like have rpg elements because you can alter your kit and character.

    If you want Lara Croft the RPG the options need to be pervasive and meaningful - not "oh, I chose that response so they said something slightly different".
    I was saying very much the same thing.

    Quote Originally Posted by adobeARTIST View Post

    Aside from the literal explanation that it's the genre classification of games as Role Playing Game, there are deeper criteria to distinguish it from other genres of games.

    Now most people rely solely on the mechanics; stats, number crunching, leveling, character classes and skill trees. As well as other features like inventory, gearing and looting.

    But mechanics alone doesn't encapsulate the gameplay experience that truly immerses the player. After all, lots of games have a method of leveling up, such as Call of Duty and Star Wars the Force Unleashed. But leveling up there makes neither an RPG.

    The way I've always seen it, what separates role playing a character from merely controlling a character, is when the player defines the role. The character should be a vessel in which the player expresses themselves through that character in the world they explore. In other words, the character becomes an extension of the player them self.

    This leads to another integral component of RPGs, when the player takes on the role of the character, they have the freedom to really interact with the world around them. This is far deeper than merely traversing through the world, as is the case with typical action games, where the levels are merely a backdrop one passes through while killing enemies.

    To interact is to explore, encounter the people and get involved in complex exchanges, learning the history of the people and the world, making discoveries where the gameplay has the player actually involved with the story, not merely passively observing it as it unfolds.

    It's the personalized expression and interaction that role playing is really about.
    In the same comparison to COD, TR2013 with it's skill leveling didn't make the game an RPG. Lara is a pre-scripted character in a fixed story, not an extension of the player them self. There is no actual role playing here, which is the core meaning to the abbreviation of the genre.
    signature image

  7. #82
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    764

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by adobeARTIST View Post
    I was saying very much the same thing...There is no actual role playing here, which is the core meaning to the abbreviation of the genre.
    Ah yes, so you were. +1.

    I actually started writing a response in the vein of "omg lyk Mass Effect mets Skyrim in a modun seting blargleargleargle" because that would blow my socks off. I thought this was a "What if?" thread.

    I'm totally fine with romance options. I'd pair her up with the Russian lady sniper, who was sent to kill her but instead becomes her ally in the fight against... wait, what were we talking about again? /fantasy
    signature image

  8. #83

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by darksaiyan View Post
    If you want Lara Croft the RPG the options need to be pervasive and meaningful - not "oh, I chose that response so they said something slightly different".
    Indeed they do. Which is most certainly doable, IMO.

    Every Lara game may have the same ending, but there could be so many ways for her to get there.
    signature image

  9. #84
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    BosniaAndHerzegovina
    Posts
    3,959

    Default

    Yeah, that's why it's called RPG elements and not RPG. Call of Duty has RPG elements but isn't an RPG, it's an FPS. But, Borderlands (especially 2) is an FPS RPG
    Raiding tombs since 2007. deviantART tumblr | N7
    signature image

  10. #85
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    764

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elliot Kane View Post
    Indeed they do. Which is most certainly doable, IMO.

    Every Lara game may have the same ending, but there could be so many ways for her to get there.
    But then with that argument, Heavy Rain is an RPG.

    I think the RPG focus is being able to significantly build your character into something that you want, and with that character make significant choices. But that's just me
    signature image

  11. #86

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by darksaiyan View Post
    But then with that argument, Heavy Rain is an RPG.

    I think the RPG focus is being able to significantly build your character into something that you want, and with that character make significant choices. But that's just me
    My opinion of what an RPG is is in the first post of this thread. I think we agree more than you may believe
    Last edited by Elliot Kane; 09-01-2014 at 01:38 AM.
    signature image

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •