Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: This series will never recover

Default This series will never recover

Timed exclusive or not, here's the problem.

The history of tomb raider is based in the playstation and pc market, this is where the vast majority of its fanbase lies.

The franchise is simply not a big enough hitter to sell the xbox, it's no grand theft auto or call of duty

So the game will come out first on the xbox platforms, mostly sell badly because xbone is struggling and then finally come to playstation and pc, at which point the game will be treated with disdain from a community who will simply see it as M$ left overs.

So any hype the game has when it arrives on xbox will all have disappeared by the time it hits other formats, resulting in a loss of sales which would have been higher if the game had come out on everything at the same time.

The end result is the game sells less than the prequel. SE deem it a failure and pull the plug on the franchise and we don't see another tomb raider game for at least 5 more years until someone decides to commission another reboot.

Too much damage has been done by reckless, greedy idiots with no respect for the franchise or it's fans.

So everyone, do yourself a favor, crack open some old tomb raiders and forget about the future, because their isn't one for TR anymore.

I do fear a prolonged timed exclusive could lead to apathy among many who would have bought it right away if available for all systems from the word go.

Very plausible scenario. I can't see it selling more than 2 million on Xbox One so 360 will really need to pick up the slack. s really don't care either way at this point(SE doesn't care about us getting the game), but it will be interesting to see what happens. I won't root for it to fail, but I will laugh if it does. Yes I'm bitter.

Totally disagree. If its a great game it will sell bucket loads on any system its released on.
    Gamersrespawn 21+ Gaming Community Fun Play Enjoy Respect
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by Tecstar70 View Post
    Totally disagree. If its a great game it will sell bucket loads on any system its released on.
    [/thread]

Exclusivity does not mean the end of a franchise. Bayonetta 2 is a Wii U exclusive, but that doesn't mean Bayonetta is a dying series.

The Elder Scrolls Online is currently only available on PC and will come to Xbox One and PS4 sometime next year. Elder Scrolls isn't ending.

Can we please stop with the overreactions? It's one thing to be disappointed and frustrated, but it's another thing to pretend you're a Mayan calendar.
    "Did somebody say 'vodka?'"
    signature imagesignature image

That may be so...but it would sell more buckets if it were released on every platform.

Quote Originally Posted by Deltoran View Post
    That may be so...but it would sell more buckets if it were released on every platform.
    And it will when it is, February 2016.
    signature image

The question is, how many people will be willing to pay full price and for all the extra goodies? I mean, compared to those who would have if it were released equally all in late 2015. I'd love to see the stats come 2016.

There will always be a future for TR.

Unlike some other franchises (*cough* Duke Nukem *cough*) TR does not rely on being in any particular decade or even century in order to work as a concept. All it needs is unexplored places, and there will always be plenty of those.

While the exclusivity deal will certainly damage Crystal's reputation (Fairly or not, as the decision may well have come from Square), and the way it was announced perhaps moreso (The official announcement making no mention of the exclusive being timed was very bad PR to say the least), Lara Croft will always find a way to carry on raiding tombs sooner or later.

Defying the odds is what she does
    signature image

Come on, this is exaggeration.

Based on Phil Spencer's twitter account, Rise of the Tomb Raider is being published by microsoft, so only pc players will have a shot at the game after the duration ends which is bs.

His tweet: @TallDwarfSocial Happy 2 partner w/ SE/CD to publish RotTR similiar 2 what we did on Dead Rising. See: http://bit.ly/Y8oDhs

Quote Originally Posted by nodq24 View Post
    Based on Phil Spencer's twitter account, Rise of the Tomb Raider is being published by microsoft, so only pc players will have a shot at the game after the duration ends which is bs.
    Please, for the love of God, read the article before making statements like that. Now you're going to have everyone believe that Microsoft is publishing the game when it IS NOT officially.

“Right now we have a relationship with Square and Crystal on publishing the game,” Spencer confirmed. “The exact details of what publishing means and when it gets done are part of that deal - I’m not trying to be opaque about it. We will clearly spend money on marketing the game, there’s no doubt about that. And we do [that] on games where we have very little to do with development, and with games that we fully develop. And we will definitely be spending money on developing the game - I want to make sure that it’s as great as it can be.”
    "Did somebody say 'vodka?'"
    signature imagesignature image

Quote Originally Posted by Valenka View Post
    Please, for the love of God, read the article before making statements like that. Now you're going to have everyone believe that Microsoft is publishing the game when it IS NOT officially.
    The part where he says they definitely plan to help develop the game the ends any hope it ever be on PS4 in my opinion. PC is the only platform that might get a port, but wouldn't even count on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Leon S. Kennedy View Post
    The part where he says they definitely plan to help develop the game the ends any hope it ever be on PS4 in my opinion. PC is the only platform that might get a port, but wouldn't even count on that.
    You are mistaken. Really, you are.
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by Valenka View Post
    Why in the hell does MS need to spend money on developing the game? If Sony had secured AC Unity or Batman Arkham Knight even as timed exclusives Xbox gamers would be up in arms and rightfully so.

I tweeted this to Phil Spencer: @XboxP3 Tomb Raider should never be exclusive. If Sony had done the same with AC Unity or Arkham Knight you'd be up in arms.

^ To get exclusivity...

You are mistaken. Really, you are.
    I hope you are right, but tell me why? Microsoft is going to spend money and actively participate in the development of this game and then let SE port it to PS4? They would have to extremely desperate to do that. When Sony does that it's a permanent exclusive, but maybe Microsoft has a different policy.

Quote Originally Posted by a big house View Post
    ^ To get exclusivity...
    Which is bull for a long standing multi-plat game. It's not like Xbox owners could have bought the game if it was released on all platforms.

I hope you are right, but tell me why? Microsoft is going to spend money and actively participate in the development of this game and then let SE port it to PS4? They would have to extremely desperate to do that. When Sony does that it's a permanent exclusive, but maybe Microsoft has a different policy.
    MS are not developing the game per se. They will develop their brand along with the TR brand. TR will feature heavily in their advertising, website, Xbox ads etc etc. The PS4 version will not be a port. Why would they do that? They have already developed a TR game for the PS4. They will use the same game engine as the DE. They will be developing all 3 platforms together. It's the release date that differs, and in fact the PC and PS4 versions could end up being more stable because of it.

People really are reading far too much into this deal its getting daft.
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by Murphdawg1 View Post
    Which is bull for a long standing multi-plat game. It's not like Xbox owners could have bought the game if it was released on all platforms.
    Yeah, but MS don't care about the game, they care about selling Xbones and if it costs a couple mil to fund a bad-ass game to sell those consoles, they why not.
    (I still hate the decision, of course)

MS are not developing the game per se. They will develop their brand along with the TR brand. TR will feature heavily in their advertising, website, Xbox ads etc etc. The PS4 version will not be a port. Why would they do that? They have already developed a TR game for the PS4. They will use the same game engine as the DE. They will be developing all 3 platforms together. It's the release date that differs, and in fact the PC and PS4 versions could end up being more stable because of it.

He clearly said they will be active in development of the game to make it the best it can be. To me that implies a technical and creative input, not just marketing and brand association.

Obviously, how well The Rise of the Tomb Raider does depends on marketing and reviews. In 4th quarter of 2015, we don't know what the Xbox One's user base will be. Likely 15 million Xbox One's will be sold (just a guess). I think the PS4 will have sold 25 million by that point.

Excuse people for asking questions and demanding answers instead of blindly accepting whatever the corporate talking heads at Square/Crystal and Microsoft might say. I bet you own an Xbox One so you probably don't care.

He clearly said they will be active in development of the game to make it the best it can be. To me that implies a technical and creative input, not just marketing and brand association.
    I think it unlikely, but I am prepared to be proved wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Murphdawg1 View Post
    Excuse people for asking questions and demanding answers instead of blindly accepting whatever the corporate talking heads at Square/Crystal and Microsoft might say. I bet you own an Xbox One so you probably don't care.
    There's nothing wrong with asking questions, but people are not looking at this logically. There ARE wild statements and assumptions being made and while I am not ruling out anything I base my opinions on logic and precedent.

BTW I don't own an XB1. I still have a 360 and I took a while to decide whether to go PS4 or XB1. The people I play with are on XB1 and I kinda like the Xbox Eco-system so when I go next-gen it will be XB1. If I did go PS4 I would be looking forward to ROTTR as much as I am now.
    signature image

I think it unlikely, but I am prepared to be proved wrong.

There's nothing wrong with asking questions, but people are not looking at this logically. There ARE wild statements and assumptions being made and while I am not ruling out anything I base my opinions on logic and precedent.

BTW I don't own an XB1. I still have a 360 and I took a while to decide whether to go PS4 or XB1. The people I play with are on XB1 and I kinda like the Xbox Eco-system so when I go next-gen it will be XB1. If I did go PS4 I would be looking forward to ROTTR as much as I am now.
    Except it's not a guarenteed thing on PS4 thanks to this deal. Square/Crystal have been in bed with Microsoft since at least Underworld with the 360 getting exclusive DLC, timed DLC for the reboot and now this garbage? Yeah PC and Playstation people have every right to be upset.

Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast