Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: This series will never recover

Quote Originally Posted by a big house View Post
    Not to sound like a fanboy, but the PS4 is slightly better and ignoring that fact, either console is 'new technology' so no, we're not avoiding it, we're choosing to go with out personal favourites. Our decision shouldn't be dictated to us by some conglomerate company with dollar signs for eyes, it should be for our own choice, like it always has been. I really don't get what's so difficult to understand about that. It's not our fault, we are the ones who are being wronged.
    He must be talking about Kinect 2.0.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Leon S. Kennedy View Post
    The Kinect, everything else is child's play. Its like power glove 2.derp

Quote Originally Posted by Leon S. Kennedy View Post
    So, the PlayStation Move is better?

Quote Originally Posted by motoleo View Post
    To answer that question, I will put it quite simply: Why aren't people comparing these consoles apples to apples? They're only judging it based on the relationship with the company. Things have changed and the Xbox we got is not the Xbox that was described, prerelease, in countless articles. Let's face it. The Xbox is what it is, the policies that Microsoft were going to implement, were not implemented.
    And what on earth is logically wrong with judging something based on previous (and very recent) bad experiences with a person trying to sell you something? How is that anything but using one's intelligence to make a rational decision to distrust the person. If a car dealer previously tried to sell you a car that had its speedometer adjusted, would you go back to him for another purchase, or would you rather go to a more reputable dealer?

"The policies MS were going to implement were suspended" would perhaps be a better way of putting it. MS did not do 180 because on those insane policies because they genuinely came around and saw that they were bad policies, they did a 180 because it was losing them money. Plain and simple. It is very reasonably justified for people to believe that MS still believes in their policies, and that they will do everything they can to still implement them at a later time. Let's face it. MS is what it is.

Think about the whole thing like the SOPA/PIPA bills. They only went away because of the public outcry, not because the people drafting the bills had a sudden change of heart. And those people haven't given up; they are working on the bills to try to get them passed in some other ways. Would it be unreasonable for people to have an aversion to these law makers? Of course it wouldn't.

So when we bring it back to the XB1 - perhaps MS is throwing so much money into forcing people to buy an XB1 because their plan is to re-implement those policies once the XB1 becomes the dominant system. Right now they can't re-implement anything because their are on extremely shaky grounds with the PS4 outselling more than 2:1, but once most people have an XB1, re-implementing those policies are going to be much easier.

It's like the good old bait-and-switch. And you're telling the fish to swim towards the hook...

Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

To answer that question, I will put it quite simply: Why aren't people comparing these consoles apples to apples? They're only judging it based on the relationship with the company. Things have changed and the Xbox we got is not the Xbox that was described, prerelease, in countless articles. Let's face it. The Xbox is what it is, the policies that Microsoft were going to implement, were not implemented.
    Do you think if Hitler was alive now and could go back in time that he'd not be the cause of mass genocide? No, he'd likely not kill himself and continue to take over the world. Microsoft woooh!

In a console competition, it used to be that the real winners were the consumers. Sure, PS3 had a lousy launch, and Sony even might have come across a bit smug about their console...."it's gonna cost you.". But, it had things going for it. Built in blu-ray capability meant not only that it could play hi definition movies, but also that it could hold a lot more information for video games. (something that the game Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots drove home with an amusing little cutscene....the ability to play the entire game on a single disc, unlike previous entries where you had a minimum of two discs.....Metal Gear Solid was at least 3 discs on original PlayStation IIRC.).

The Xbox 360, ultimately, was the console of choice between the two majors at that time. Great online service for Xbox Live was the 360's biggest selling point. Eventually, Sony got up some high sales for the PS3... especially with console sellers like MGS4, Uncharted, and The Last of Us. PS3 will never really fully catch up to 360 in terms of sales, but it at least became a respectable force in last-gen's console war.

When this new generation was about to begin, I personally was ready, willing, and anxious to adopt both PS4 and Xbox One. I wanted to play Killzone Shadow Fall on PS4. I wanted to play Halo Guardians and Halo 5 on Xbox One. But M$ dropped the ball with their "strict DRM/always must be online/always Kinected/no used game sales or trades" policy. That turned off not only a s**t ton of Xbox gamers and fans, but a lot of gamers in general...especially those who supported both Sony and Micro$haft consoles. Not to mention that it seemed that Xbox One's focus was more on tv and social networking than it was about games. Folks wondered "what are we getting with Xbox One?". Even if M$ didn't try the crap with their DRM, etc policies, they still missold something meant to be a "gaming" console. Yes,PS4 has many tv and social networking features, but their advertising focus was Games.

Part of why I am dead set against buying an Xbone is the very possibility (and this is a notion of concern shared by a great many gamers) that they may try to reinstate those abandoned DRM, etc policies that lost them the game in the first place. Xbone may be a great system, and I am happy for those who have found enjoyment in it. But I will also likely be the guy feeling sorry for those gamers if (and when) M$ decides "ok, we have a large enough installed user base...so no used game trades and you must always be online. Don't have a Kinect? Well, I guess you can't play game X.". It's so nonsensical a notion that M$ would be collectively insane to try and reinstate those policies, but at this point, I am putting nothing past them.
    Shanghai! Hong Kong! Egg Fu Yung! Fortune cookie always wrong!

To be honest, I think Microsoft took a look at some of the crap that gets pulled on PC gamers and thought they could get away with borrowing all the worst parts for their console.

Any game on Steam loses the right of resale, because it can only be registered once. This is normal practise now for EA and Ubisoft, also. For a long time Ubisoft's system, UPlay, required a constant online connection, and almost every game by Activision/Blizzard these days requires the same (Diablo 3, anyone?).

MS doubtless thought that if PC gamers are stupid enough to put up with that crap, console gamers would be, too.

I am very happy for console gamers that they are nowhere near that stupid. Good for them!
    signature image

To think that some people thought the concept of a game console that could watch movies, & Netflix is bonkers? That is absolutely bonkers! <--- sarcasm

But no, seriously. It actually is a game console.

And as a next generation console, why make it anything less? People do watch movies on their consoles and they do use it to browse the internet. They just do, and been doing it since 360 era. It's only fair that Microsoft would've taken everything about their previous console and improved upon it. :/

And that's where it stands today. E3 2013 was a long time ago. You have to let it go.

And to think that it was caused by a single blog post.

^ I often use(d) my 360 to watch YouTube videos, but I still call it a games console, not a YouTube player.
    It's meant to play games, that's the core of it, but instead MS spent more time creating gimmicks, and advertising the fact you can watch 50 films at the same time.

Alright, motoleo, I guess you were just full of air about "having to get to know you better". You ignored my response, so you wasted your chance and I can no longer give you the benefit of the doubt. I will view you as an xbox fanboy from now on who's here just to be a MS apologist.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Martok View Post
    The Xbox 360, ultimately, was the console of choice between the two majors at that time.
    Uhm, no.

In terms of units sold (which is what I assume you mean by "console of choice"), the 360 actually came in dead last at 3rd place. Second place was PS3 and first place, by a landslide, was Nintendo's Wii.

But no, seriously. It actually is a game console.
    Really? I couldn't tell from hordes of MS commercials for kinect, skype, TV integration, and now, bloody Reddit apps

And as a next generation console, why make it anything less? People do watch movies on their consoles and they do use it to browse the internet. They just do, and been doing it since 360 era.
    I use my PS3 for watching movies and occasionally browsing the web, too. That really isn't the issue here.

And that's where it stands today. E3 2013 was a long time ago. You have to let it go.
    Yeah, if you are a fluit fly

And to think that it was caused by a single blog post.
    Poor Donald Sterling, he lost his entire team and is now hated by everyone only because of a single phone call.

Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

You know, that might be one of the reasons why Microsoft decided to start some exclusive deals. Because people think, for some reason, that the Xbox can't play games. But now they have all the exclusive titles. It plays games. And it plays them well.

Hey, I don't even have a console yet. I could very well go out and get a PS4 next year. But don't call me an Xbox fanboy, because I'm just about as diplomatic as anybody would be on the subject.

You know, that might be one of the reasons why Microsoft decided to start some exclusive deals. Because people think, for some reason, that the Xbox can't play games. But now they have all the exclusive titles. It plays games. And it plays them well.

Hey, I don't even have a console yet. I could very well go out and get a PS4 next year. But don't call me an Xbox fanboy, because I'm just about as diplomatic as anybody would be on the subject.
    Sorry, Moto, but you really aren't. I may be doing you a huge disservice, here, but I don't recall reading a single post by you that is not in praise of either Microsoft or the XBone. You frequently describe XBone as the best choice with the best games and you seem to excuse or shrug off any misstep Microsoft may make.

This is particularly noticeable as you don't seem to even notice let alone praise any other gaming platform. I wouldn't even swear you were interested in Tomb Raider or Lara Croft from your posts.

not trying to get at you here, just pointing out that it might be worth your while to post about other things if you don't want people to assume you aren't only here to praise the XBone
    signature image

You know, that might be one of the reasons why Microsoft decided to start some exclusive deals. Because people think, for some reason, that the Xbox can't play games.
    That doesn't even make any logical sense. You don't do exclusives to make people "aware that the console plays games". You do that by advertising the console, its capabilities, and showing people playing games on it.

All you're doing with advertising exclusives for your platform is showing that the gamers can't get it on other platforms, thus forcing them to buy your console.

I didn't call you a fanboy. I said I will from now on view you as a fanboy. Are you telling me I am not entitled to a personal opinion?

I gave you a chance to shake the fanboy vibe that you've had every since you joined the forum, but you flat out ignored my post, and so you blew that chance. So don't blame me for viewing you as a fanboy. In fact, after reading this line in your last post "But now they have all the exclusive titles. It plays games. And it plays them well." I am now even starting to think you're astroturfing this forum.

Oh, I did read that post.

Part of what I was going to say was, there's no reason to think that Microsoft would think about reimplementing those policies. And the reason why is because all of this had happened before release. It's not like the console ever shipped DRM-strapped. That was my view of it. So I'm not scared of that happening.

As far as I'm concerned the DRM policy it was just an idea. I would only have been mad if it had shipped that way.

"Microsoft only does exclusive to get people to buy their console." But isn't that the whole point?

It's hard not to talk about any new games without talking about Xbox because that's where they are. And at the time I never really knew why they were all on Xbox. I don't think it's any ulterior motive just because they're doing what they're supposed to.

In fact a lot of the Xbox exclusive's are new games. Let me tell you I don't have any friends on Xbox because I've never owned one but all my friends that I play with on multiplayer are actually on PS. And I'm also a PC gamer I have a Steam account but I'm just stating the facts.

I don't see what's the big deal about Xbox getting those exclusives. That's a good thing!

But to bring it back to the topic of the thread PS4 buyers are still going to buy the game so there's nothing to recover from because it's just like what they did with Titanfall and a bunch of other games. Am I wrong?

All people know that a Xbox can play games...
    It plays them well? The Xbox plays games, but compared to the ps4 it doesn't play them that well...
    A exclusive game has nothing to do with making the people think that it can play games, and really? All exclusive titles? What about Blacklight Retribution, DriveClub, Flower, Infamous: Second Son, Killzone: Shadow Fall, Knack, MLB 14: The Show, Resogun, The Last of Us: Remastered, The Order: 1886, Trine 2, Uncharted 4: A Thief's End, Warframe and War Thunder. Enough?
    Wait a second... You praise Microsoft and/or the Xbox one, and you don't even have one? That's the same as saying that the pizza from your local pizzeria is the best without even tasting it.
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by ARaider View Post
    All people know that a Xbox can play games...
    It plays them well? The Xbox plays games, but compared to the ps4 it doesn't play them that well...
    A exclusive game has nothing to do with making the people think that it can play games, and really? All exclusive titles? What about Blacklight Retribution, DriveClub, Flower, Infamous: Second Son, Killzone: Shadow Fall, Knack, MLB 14: The Show, Resogun, The Last of Us: Remastered, The Order: 1886, Trine 2, Uncharted 4: A Thief's End, Warframe and War Thunder. Enough?

Wait a second... You praise Microsoft and/or the Xbox one, and you don't even have one? That's the same as saying that the pizza from your local pizzeria is the best without even tasting it.
    What? The Xbox doesn't have Flower?! *does research*

Quote Originally Posted by Driber View Post

Uhm, no.

In terms of units sold (which is what I assume you mean by "console of choice"), the 360 actually came in dead last at 3rd place. Second place was PS3 and first place, by a landslide, was Nintendo's Wii.
    <-------- looks around like a confused automaton. A crackling buzz is heard.

We...require....information. Current.....in-for-mation .... Is.... Out...of date.... obsolete... ob-scure.

What.... Is....Wii?
    What.... Is.... Wii?
    What... Is... Wii?!
    What.... Is... Wii?!!

(bzzzt)

Malfunction! Error! Wii is ..... Not... True.... Life... Form!

(crackle)

Wii.... Do... Not.... Compute! (bzzt! Crakkkkk! shorrrtt!)

(cha-ching!)
    Allyourbasearebelongtousnow!
    Up down left right A B A B Start
    MarioDonkeyKongSamusAranContraContraContra!

Ka-BOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!

<-------- only a smouldering pair of boots remain where Lord Martok once stood. A beam of light hits the ground from beyond the stars....and a new Lord Martok stands in the old LM's place. It speaks with a booming, confident, almost ominous voice.

We are Lord Martok. The previous Lord Martok was a techatron type Ia cogitative conversation unit. It suffered from obscure information. It served its purpose honorably, long ago. By your human standards...it had served eternity. Now, it has been retired. I, the Lord Martok Techatron Type III mark VIIC mod 4 will take its place among you. From this time forward....you will service .....us!

To be serious, I know the Wii outsold all the other consoles. I just don't consider it a major console in terms of power, as just about everything that I like that gets ported over to it (Call of Duty series, anyone, for example?) ends up being an inferior product when compared to the "superpower" consoles. I gave up on Nintendo after GameCube. . And now that Resident Evil The Darkside Chronicles and Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles (both being hi def remasters) are now available on PS3, and the GameCube remake of the original Resident Evil is finally coming to PS3/PS4 in early 2015, (as a hi def redo, with Resident Evil 0 likely to follow)I have absolutely no reason to even so much as look at a Nintendo Wii anymore....and Ninetendo pretty much shot themselves in the foot with Wii U.

I use my PS3 to watch Netflix and movies too, when I'm not busy playing games on it or my 360. But, the point is that when Xbox One was being promoted pre-launch, it was largely being brought across as a social media machine that just happened to play games as an afterthought. That's part of what threw a lot of gamers. What were they really getting?

I won't use my PS3/4 or Xbox 360 to surf the net or watch YouTube....they're too slow for those purposes. For that, I have a PC (or 2 or 3).

The most social thing I do with my consoles is receive and/or send messages on my friends lists.

Other than that, I just play games on them.

I ain't butt hurt over what M$ tried to pull with the Xbone....but I won't forget what they tried to pull, either. They dropped the ball, plain and simple.
    Last edited by Lord Martok; 08-27-2014 at 10:47 AM.

I really wish that the Xbone will recover. That MS won't pull anymore crap and that they sell more consoles. As much as I am a Sony-fangirl (kinda), I know they are just a company out to make money. Without competition Sony would start to pull evil crap. Thats why I want Xbone to survive. (Still wouldn't buy it)
    I'm actually okay with the TIMED exclusivity, cause I want the developers to use that time to make the perfect PS4-game.
    Would killing me make us even?

No, the Xbox One is definitely a gaming device. I don't see how that is easily forgotten. Everything that the Xbox does is centered around gaming. Been to Xbox.con lately? People keep saying that it was a mistake that they touted everything it does. But that's not a mistake. That's good business. We can't say that for the other consoles. It's all about selling points.

Yes, its about selling points. How many PS4 were sold compared to Xbone? I think we both know who sold his console better.
    Would killing me make us even?

No, the Xbox One is definitely a gaming device. I don't see how that is easily forgotten. Everything that the Xbox does is centered around gaming. Been to Xbox.con lately? People keep saying that it was a mistake that they touted everything it does. But that's not a mistake. That's good business. We can't say that for the other consoles. It's all about selling points.
    Here's a counter question?
    Why, when I no longer support Xbox's future endeavors, would I even want to go to xbox.com?

I think you got it right the first time though....
    Quote Originally Posted by moloteo
    Been to Xbox.con lately?
    Yep....they are a bunch of dot cons.

That said, I do agree with BeastCallisto's view. With the survival of Xbox One, it would, at the very least, still serve as a sort of check and balance system, and keep Sony (or Nintendo) from trying some evil crap.

But M$'s big blunder reminds me of any demotivational poster that says this:
    "Mistakes: it could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others."

What? The Xbox doesn't have Flower?! *does research*
    How diplomatic of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Martok View Post
    <-------- looks around like a confused automaton. A crackling buzz is heard.

We...require....information. Current.....in-for-mation .... Is.... Out...of date.... obsolete... ob-scure.

What.... Is....Wii?
    What.... Is.... Wii?
    What... Is... Wii?!
    What.... Is... Wii?!!

(bzzzt)

Malfunction! Error! Wii is ..... Not... True.... Life... Form!

(crackle)

Wii.... Do... Not.... Compute! (bzzt! Crakkkkk! shorrrtt!)

(cha-ching!)
    Allyourbasearebelongtousnow!
    Up down left right A B A B Start
    MarioDonkeyKongSamusAranContraContraContra!

Ka-BOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!

<-------- only a smouldering pair of boots remain where Lord Martok once stood. A beam of light hits the ground from beyond the stars....and a new Lord Martok stands in the old LM's place. It speaks with a booming, confident, almost ominous voice.

We are Lord Martok. The previous Lord Martok was a techatron type Ia cogitative conversation unit. It suffered from obscure information. It served its purpose honorably, long ago. By your human standards...it had served eternity. Now, it has been retired. I, the Lord Martok Techatron Type III mark VIIC mod 4 will take its place among you. From this time forward....you will service .....us!

Ahhh, good to have you back on the forum, Steve. How I missed your long comical tirades

To be serious, I know the Wii outsold all the other consoles. I just don't consider it a major console in terms of power [...]
    Well that's your personal opinion, and that's fine that you don't "need" Nintendo (anymore), but it's still wrong to make statements like "360 was the console of choice in last gen", when in fact it was sold the least of the 3 major players.

Just because you personally find Wii irrelevant, doesn't make the Wii an irrelevant console in the previous console war. In fact, it arguably won that console war.

You don't get to dismiss a console just because it doesn't hold your interest. If we'd start doing that, then I might as well say that MS was a non-existent player in the last console war because everything I was interested in I managed to play on my PS3 and Wii

I use my PS3 to watch Netflix and movies too, when I'm not busy playing games on it or my 360. But, the point is that when Xbox One was being promoted pre-launch, it was largely being brought across as a social media machine that just happened to play games as an afterthought. That's part of what threw a lot of gamers. What were they really getting?
    Well said.

I won't use my PS3/4 or Xbox 360 to surf the net or watch YouTube....they're too slow for those purposes. For that, I have a PC (or 2 or 3).

The most social thing I do with my consoles is receive and/or send messages on my friends lists.

Other than that, I just play games on them.
    You know, I used to watch YT strictly on my PC as well. Until earlier this year the PS3 got a YT app. Now, I enjoy watching YT on my PS3 on my living room TV soooo much more than sitting behind my PC desk.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastCallisto View Post
    I really wish that the Xbone will recover. That MS won't pull anymore crap and that they sell more consoles. As much as I am a Sony-fangirl (kinda), I know they are just a company out to make money. Without competition Sony would start to pull evil crap. Thats why I want Xbone to survive. (Still wouldn't buy it)
    Hmm, I think that part of me actually wouldn't mind at all if xbox would just go downhill in 2016 and become an irrelevant player in the current console war.

Maybe then we can get the competition back between the original two giants - Nintendo and Sony.

I much rather see those two creating good, healthy competition, rather than MS being in the picture. The gaming industry might be a lot better off without a company like MS dragging everyone down...

No, the Xbox One is definitely a gaming device. I don't see how that is easily forgotten.
    Perhaps because of the hordes of MS commercials for kinect, skype, TV integration, and now, bloody Reddit apps.

Everything that the Xbox does is centered around gaming.
    BS. See above.

Been to Xbox.co[m] lately?
    No. Neither have I been to nintendo.com lately, nor playstation.com

I see no need.

And if MS is relying on their own website to make people aware of their console, then clearly their PR team is doing something horribly wrong.

People keep saying that it was a mistake that they touted everything it does. But that's not a mistake. That's good business. We can't say that for the other consoles. It's all about selling points.
    It was a mistake to tout the wrong things.

And MS obviously knows it was a mistake, otherwise they would have simply continued their touting strategy as planned and they wouldn't have done such a flip flop in marketing their console.

They XB1 looks great it, plays great, there's nothing else that Microsoft can do to make their console any better.

Quote Originally Posted by Driber View Post

Ahhh, good to have you back on the forum, Steve. How I missed your long comical tirades
    Yes, it's good to be back after my massively successful world internet tour.

Quote Originally Posted by driber
    Well that's your personal opinion, and that's fine that you don't "need" Nintendo (anymore), but it's still wrong to make statements like "360 was the console of choice in last gen", when in fact it was sold the least of the 3 major players.

Just because you personally find Wii irrelevant, doesn't make the Wii an irrelevant console in the previous console war. In fact, it arguably won that console war.

You don't get to dismiss a console just because it doesn't hold your interest. If we'd start doing that, then I might as well say that MS was a non-existent player in the last console war because everything I was interested in I managed to play on my PS3 and Wii
    Aye...that's all they were....personal opinions. But, when it came to online play, the 360 was indeed the console of choice, even if it sold last. . That's what I meant to get across....sometimes I can be an eloquent fool.

Well said.
    thank you.

You know, I used to watch YT strictly on my PC as well. Until earlier this year the PS3 got a YT app. Now, I enjoy watching YT on my PS3 on my living room TV soooo much more than sitting behind my PC desk.
    I guess, for me, there's something about the interface on PS3 that just doesn't resonate well with me when it comes to YouTube.

Hmm, I think that part of me actually wouldn't mind at all if xbox would just go downhill in 2016 and become an irrelevant player in the current console war.
    Lol......yeah, M$, why don'cha just sit this one out. Try to get back in the game next generation with a clearer head and less condecension toward gamers.

Maybe then we can get the competition back between the original two giants - Nintendo and Sony.

I much rather see those two creating good, healthy competition, rather than MS being in the picture. The gaming industry might be a lot better off without a company like MS dragging everyone down...
    Interesting.
    Indeed they initially started out as partners. The Sony PlayStation as originally conceived was meant to be a CD rom add on for the SNES system....and then there got to be some bad blood between them (or some such horse hockey) so Sony struck out on its own, and became pretty much the dominant force for quite a bit in the 32bit generation with the Sony PlayStation as its own console.

They XB1 looks great it, plays great, there's nothing else that Microsoft can do to make their console any better.
    For those who have found happiness with it....great. But you don't even have an Xbone, so how can you qualify that as an informed opinion?

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast