Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vote With Your Wallet And Don't Allow Third Party Exclusivity In The Industry. Enough

Quote Originally Posted by Valenka View Post
    I'm just really tired of all of this; yes, I understand everyone is upset and for good reason, too. I just wish we can all come to terms with the fact that we can't change what's happened and instead, keep an eye on development and go back to actually talking about Tomb Raider. At least for a little while.
    This deal that happened is terrible and it's going to happen again. If you read the statement by Darrell at CD this is a longer term thing than a single deal for timed exclusivity on this game. We can't change what happened but we can change what is going to happen.

Valenka you can see it as very negative that we criticising this deal so much but in another sense we are showing how passionate and excited we about getting to play Rise of the Tomb Raider as soon as possible.
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by Error96 View Post
    This deal that happened is terrible and it's going to happen again. If you read the statement by Darrell at CD this is a longer term thing than a single deal for timed exclusivity on this game. We can't change what happened but we can change what is going to happen.

Valenka you can see it as very negative that we criticising this deal so much but in another sense we are showing how passionate and excited we about getting to play Rise of the Tomb Raider as soon as possible.
    Not to mention there really isn't much else to talk about in the world of Tomb Raider at the moment other than the deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Driber View Post
    HA, that actually wouldn't even be such a bad metaphor, given the high level of corruption in today's governments. The voting public indeed might as well just throw bank notes into the ballet boxes
    I didn't even factor that into consideration. A fantastic point.

Quote Originally Posted by Error96 View Post

I'm already aware.
    "Did somebody say 'vodka?'"
    signature imagesignature image

Quote Originally Posted by Tecstar70 View Post
    Meagan was indeed the official mouthpiece in her role however look at all the Q&A's, audio blogs, interviews etc where CD clearly showed they valued the community input. They didn't have to have that kind of dialogue. They could have just done what they wanted and put it out regardless. I am not suggesting they are perfect, but to suggest they don't care is IMO wrong.
    This is the distinction many people here are missing. Crystal Dynamics has shown to be very much involved with the community. It's the new owners Square Enix that has this indifference to us and freely went into this deal with Microsoft.

Developers care about the community because they make the game. Publishers care about the money because they sell the game. So it's all business and numbers to them, where the devs reach out and hear our voices.

Quote Originally Posted by Weemanply109 View Post
    I completely agree. Also don't forget that they're pushing to get rid of DRM aswell. I love how they value their customers. Could you imagine if they were developing TR?
    Hellooooooo nudity and romance options

Quote Originally Posted by FalloftheTR View Post
    A little overly dramatic for my tastes...
    Ironic considering your chosen handle
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by adobeARTIST View Post
    This is the distinction many people here are missing. Crystal Dynamics has shown to be very much involved with the community. It's the new owners Square Enix that has this indifference to us and freely went into this deal with Microsoft.
    Crystal have to known it was not going to be a good response when the deal was made. They had the time to prepare a proper response and all we got was that badly thought out blog post. It doesn't seem that they were thinking much about the fans.

In relation to the title of the thread my money is only going to be used on PS4 or PC version of this game.
    signature image

i made THIS, as a statement... hope u like it!

Quote Originally Posted by Gameboys View Post
    i made THIS, as a statement... hope u like it!

THE QUEEN HAS SPOKEN!
    Don't send me PM's I'm too classy for that kind of thing. (my inbox is full, kay?)
    signature image

I vote with my money. Thats why I re-bought Tr2 on PS3 now. And will re-buy all other classic TR-Games that I don't yet own on PS3. Or PS4 if I buy that till then. I won't buy any XBox or TR on PC, when that comes out. I only buy it on PS4. If they don't give me that, they don't WANT my money. But I will show them, that I still want to own TR and thats why I re-buy the classics.

If you boycott exclusivity you won't be able to play any games.

Quote Originally Posted by motoleo View Post
    If you boycott exclusivity you won't be able to play any games.
    You can boycott exclusivity and still support the franchise with the other games and media that aren't exclusive

I don't boycott exclusivity, cause otherwise I would've missed out on Uncharted and Last of Us. I only boycott XBox, because its just not my type.

I don't mind series that are an exclusive like PS have Uncharted, Destiny and LBP. It's only wrong where like this the game has been out of many platforms and then a platform tries to buy exclusivity. TR has been on PS and PC consoles for ages so is unfair to make deals to delay releases when so many gamers of the series are on those consoles.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastCallisto View Post
    I don't boycott exclusivity, cause otherwise I would've missed out on Uncharted and Last of Us. I only boycott XBox, because its just not my type.
    Uncharted and The Last Of Us were always exclusive as Naughty Dog is a Sony 1st party studio. Crystal Dynamics is a 3rd party developer with Square Enix as it's publisher that has always put it's games on multiple platforms and usually at the same time.

Preowned PS4 version is what I'll be playing, my wallet stays shut to CD and SE for good now.

I couldn't care less if this deal is part of their survival, if they go then someone else will puck up the rights in the same way they did. Tomb Raider has its own lifeforce due to the community that have grown up with it.
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by GoggleboxUK View Post
    Preowned PS4 version is what I'll be playing, my wallet stays shut to CD and SE for good now.

I couldn't care less if this deal is part of their survival, if they go then someone else will puck up the rights in the same way they did. Tomb Raider has its own lifeforce due to the community that have grown up with it.
    At this point, I'm a little bit less angry at Crystal Dynamics and more so at Square Enix. Unfortunately the publishers don't get much say or control when it comes to the game, it's all publishers. So, if you truly want to support this franchise and developer, and stop AAA title races which cause deals like the one that happened with this game, start at least by boycotting ALL of Square's material.
    signature image
    https://twitter.com/damiandee1230

Quote Originally Posted by LaraRocks2 View Post
    At this point, I'm a little bit less angry at Crystal Dynamics and more so at Square Enix. Unfortunately the publishers don't get much say or control when it comes to the game, it's all publishers. So, if you truly want to support this franchise and developer, and stop AAA title races which cause deals like the one that happened with this game, start at least by boycotting ALL of Square's material.
    The only problem with this attitude, it has potential to hurt other developers SE work with, not just SE. I don't actually know of any developers they work with other than CD, but let's just say DevB create a game 'Amazing Adventures of Dolphin Sal' and it looks really promising, and it needs 10 copies to do well, but enough people refuse to get anything with SE's logo on it and it only sells 3 copies, do you think SE will invest in more money for 'AADS2'? Perhaps they have to let go half the workers at DevB studios or worse, DevB have to close or be sold off? What did DevB ever do to deserve that, they had nowt to do with the exclusive deal on TR, they're just a former Indie team picked up by SE. I'm rambling and could be totally off, but my point is, it's a fine line between those responsible and those who aren't if you target the whole of SE like this.

Quote Originally Posted by GoggleboxUK View Post
    True, but another publisher would almost certainly pull the same tricks. What Square Enix did was a dick move and they'll probably do a lot more in the future, but still I shudder to think what would happen if Tomb Raider and Crystal Dynamics would fall in the hands of Electronic Arts or Ubisoft. Metaphorically speaking they're all sneaky street dealers, ready to take advantage of our Tomb Raider addiction...

Also, if TR would be moved to another studio it would likely result in yet another reimagining...

I still think the best idea is just to not buy an Xbox, and buy Temple of Osiris on a system that is not the Xbox if one owns multiple systems... Show the numbers of the PS4 and PC crowd.

I'll buy Rise of the Tomb Raider when it eventually comes out on PS4. I'm hoping that this is an Elder Scrolls type situation where it comes out on Microsoft Platforms first, and then comes out on other consoles. (Even though Elder Scrolls releases out on PC as well as XBOX). I'll keep buying Tomb Raider related products for PS4, so Square Enix can see that people DO want Tomb Raider for other consoles. I was originally going to boycott the game when the exclusivity was revealed at Games Con, but when I found out that it was in fact a timed exclusive, I figured the outlook above would work more better. I just hope Square Enix doesn't do any of this crap to other franchises they publish. If they did, I think it would be the downfall of the company.

Hopefully the PS4 and PC versions will massively outsell the Xbox version and with ratio of sales for PS4 and Xbox one there is every chance of that. Then maybe CD will realise that this deal ain't so great after all and they just annoyed most people buying the game with this move.

Quote Originally Posted by LaraRocks2 View Post

I will buy ROTTR used or super cheap, but I'm getting Final Fantasy XV and Kingdom Hearts 3 day one. Tomb Raider will suffer on its own.

Just a basic question without taking into account all the argument points around the situation....

IF RottR is seen to fail, and SE decide they are not going to throw any more money at it so no more TR games for the foreseeable future, how would people feel about that?
    Gamersrespawn 21+ Gaming Community Fun Play Enjoy Respect
    signature image

IF RottR is seen to fail, and SE decide they are not going to throw any more money at it so no more TR games for the foreseeable future, how would people feel about that?
    Very upset... But then again, someone else could buy the rights, someone better...

With the success of TR 2013 and the new hype around the series the only reason for the next game to fail sales wise is because of CD/SE signing this deal and alienating the PS/PC fanbase. If this ruins it for them then they only have themselves to blame.

In the official Q and A CD said they are 'focused on delivering a great game for Xbox one and Xbox 360'. If you are only focused on 1/3 of your potential audience then that will always affect sales.

Quote Originally Posted by Rai View Post
    The only problem with this attitude,I had it has potential to hurt other developers SE work with, not just SE..
    It does, but that's all on SE.

I haven't boycotted SE, but the fact that they publish Sleeping Dogs is directly responsible for me not buying the DE version.
    Like TR, I know that Sleeping Dogs is part of a series and I see no point investing in part of something if I'm unlikely to get access to the rest of it.
    Why invest in a dead end or fund development of something you won't benefit from in the future?
    Better I save the money and let the franchises I can no longer follow end with the old gen than pay for something and be dissapointed when I learn part two is going exclusive elsewhere.

After what they did with Tomb Raider, arguably one of the most established multi platform franchises around, the name Square Enix just means too much uncertainty when it comes to ongoing franchises.

Unsurprised.

We already know that they were unhappy with TR's performance, despite it making more than respectable sales.
    They've also teamed up with MS because MS is bringing money, so they're already trying to spend as little as possible, which shows they're already not as keen to invest.

Overly high expectation, looking for money elsewhere and a willingness to secure money at the cost of a large chunk of the series' consumer base suggests to me that Square is maybe not the best company for Tomb Raider.
    In fact, they seem to have such a low opinion of TR, that success or not, I could see Square using this partnership to eventually sell the franchise to Microsoft.

I'd rather take no games for a while and for it to be picked up by a multi platform publisher who understands the game and it's userbase, as it is, imo, better for the franchise in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by Leon S. Kennedy View Post
    I will buy ROTTR used or super cheap, but I'm getting Final Fantasy XV and Kingdom Hearts 3 day one. Tomb Raider will suffer on its own.
    Just a hypothetical situation I'm about to present; what would you do, if square in the vein of this deal, sold rights to KH 3 for an un-specified time on XB1 only? (or assuming you have an XB1 only- PS4 exclusivity). It's not Tomb Raider's fault, nor is it Crystals. I'm doing my best to avoid saying the select words I have about Square as a company, so I'll just stick to- they had best learn from this and leave my favorite franchise the hell alone and where it belongs- everywhere. I understand Japanese culture sees games like this a little differently, and were disappointed with it because it doesn't have a cult following, but there is a following and they need to respect that from now on.
    signature image
    https://twitter.com/damiandee1230

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast