Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 78

Thread: Vote With Your Wallet And Don't Allow Third Party Exclusivity In The Industry. Enough

  1. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    550

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tecstar70 View Post
    While you may not like the deal that has been done, surely you love TR or you wouldn't be here. SE must have made the deal because it is lucrative, and if that is so surely by making money they can continue to make the game series that we love.

    I understand that you may be annoyed, but isn't this just cutting off your nose to spite your face? (I don't believe for a minute that people boycotting the game will have much effect on sales because once it is out people will buy it.)
    Honestly I don't think deal has anything to do with making Tomb Raider better. Square Enix was upset with Tomb Raider sales, but only because that game was expected to make for their failure with the Final Fantasy last generation. I don't think this money is being reinvested to make Tomb Raider better. It might help them finish Final Fantasy XV or Kingdom Hearts 3. I don't think SE cares about this franchise like their own games. It is a source of income to them and nothing more.

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    5,466

    Default

    But don’t take my word for it, here’s how Darrell Gallagher, head of studios at Crystal Dynamics, explained the decision to get into bed with Microsoft on the Tomb Raider Tumblr:

    this just cracked me up
    signature image

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    550

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by a big house View Post
    For all we know, they tried but were turned down

    But then, I don't think Ubisoft would risk losing sales like that anyway
    There is an interview with Phil Spencer about the TR deal where he says most 3rd party publishers have no desire to go exclusive. I am going to infer from that Microsoft approached a lot publishers to buy games and SE was the only to bite for whatever reason.
    Last edited by Leon S. Kennedy; 08-14-2014 at 07:37 AM.

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Middle Earth
    Posts
    3,455

    Default

    More developers should be like CD Project Red:

    "We are treating all gamers equally. We'll not deliver exclusive content to any of the platforms, nor will we artificially delay release of the game on any of the platforms because somebody's paying us money for that. It's definitely against our values. We are not doing that."
    signature image

  5. #30
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Padua, Italy
    Posts
    3,257

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dark7angel View Post
    More developers should be like CD Project Red:

    "We are treating all gamers equally. We'll not deliver exclusive content to any of the platforms, nor will we artificially delay release of the game on any of the platforms because somebody's paying us money for that. It's definitely against our values. We are not doing that."
    Yus. Preach it, CD Project Red!

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    550

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dark7angel View Post
    More developers should be like CD Project Red:

    "We are treating all gamers equally. We'll not deliver exclusive content to any of the platforms, nor will we artificially delay release of the game on any of the platforms because somebody's paying us money for that. It's definitely against our values. We are not doing that."
    The Witcher 3 is going to be an amazing game and I am excited to see how Cyberpunk 2077 shapes up. And yes CD Projekt Red seems to be the model of integrity most studios should follow.

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    1,978

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dark7angel View Post
    More developers should be like CD Project Red:

    "We are treating all gamers equally. We'll not deliver exclusive content to any of the platforms, nor will we artificially delay release of the game on any of the platforms because somebody's paying us money for that. It's definitely against our values. We are not doing that."
    I never thought I'd see a decent business practice like this ever gain. Kudos to them.
    "Did somebody say 'vodka?'"
    signature imagesignature image

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    22°0'10"S 47°52'38"W
    Posts
    403

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tecstar70 View Post
    ...and some of the community don't care about CD/SE. How do you know this deal isn't part of their survival? How do you know that without this deal that the next TR would struggle to be developed? I am not defending anyone, just putting an opposing viewpoint. Again, the point is that it isn't in their interest to not release the game on other platforms.

    Also CD have in the past shown enough on this forum alone to show that they DO care about their community so I think you are wrong to say this.
    The part of the community that doesn't care about CD/SE is no longer a 'supporting community', their loss. A gaming company wont survive it they don't sell games for people willing to pay for their games. It's in their interest, really? After all the backlash for a huge fiasco they come and announce the exclusivity deal is temporary, we don't see any further information, expected release dates, for what platforms, nothing officially confirmed. Really?

    It's been a while now and the whole series was rebooted in the meanwhile, but I played Underworld and never had the chance to see how Natla really dies in the end, how it feels to play the Doppleganger. Games tell stories. You can't expect me to believe that they care if we don't even get the full story to play. They DO care, are you sure?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tecstar70 View Post
    So will you buy it when it is released on PC? As XB1 is my next console of choice I will happily buy it new, and a special edition if there is one I like the look of. If I was going to get a PS4 I would do the same, I would just need to wait a few more weeks.
    No, I won't. Not with thew current status of this issue. I feel neglected and disrespected. I'm no less fan than anyone here, but I'm no sheep.

    Quote Originally Posted by dark7angel View Post
    More developers should be like CD Project Red:

    "We are treating all gamers equally. We'll not deliver exclusive content to any of the platforms, nor will we artificially delay release of the game on any of the platforms because somebody's paying us money for that. It's definitely against our values. We are not doing that."
    As dark7angel posted, the word here is 'values'. Call me old fashioned, but you don't put money before values and expect people will be OK with it.
    signature image

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,923

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dark7angel View Post
    More developers should be like CD Project Red:

    "We are treating all gamers equally. We'll not deliver exclusive content to any of the platforms, nor will we artificially delay release of the game on any of the platforms because somebody's paying us money for that. It's definitely against our values. We are not doing that."
    I completely agree. Also don't forget that they're pushing to get rid of DRM aswell. I love how they value their customers. Could you imagine if they were developing TR?
    Don't send me PM's I'm too classy for that kind of thing. (my inbox is full, kay?)
    signature image

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    1,978

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Weemanply109 View Post
    I completely agree. Also don't forget that they're pushing to get rid of DRM aswell. I love how they value their customers. Could you imagine if they were developing TR?
    Could you imagine if they were developing every game? Or at least, if every company followed in their example?
    "Did somebody say 'vodka?'"
    signature imagesignature image

  11. #36
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Will not be buying this game even its on sale or used. I even have an Xbox One but I have a PS4 also. PlayStation is where I want my Tomb Raider. Its where a lot of us want it. A lot of us want it on PC also. Xbox releases have never bothered me, but it better be on the other 2 platforms as well. I'm looking forward to watching lets plays of this game

  12. #37
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tecstar70 View Post
    While you may not like the deal that has been done, surely you love TR or you wouldn't be here. SE must have made the deal because it is lucrative, and if that is so surely by making money they can continue to make the game series that we love.

    I understand that you may be annoyed, but isn't this just cutting off your nose to spite your face? (I don't believe for a minute that people boycotting the game will have much effect on sales because once it is out people will buy it.)
    That's where your wrong! If CD made another great Tomb Raider, the fee that was pocketed was for exclusivity would look like chump change.

    Now that they got their money, who's to say that this game is any good. What's the point? They have already been paid.

    Not only does it hurt gamers but it hurts the industry. Itstead of making a great game and making a ton of money, they took the easy route and made good money.

    If SE listened to their fans and didn't have their head up their $%^. They wouldn't need to even think about making deals like this.

    EA and CD gave a big middle finger to ALL GAMERS and said "lets take a vacation,". That's great! Will they ever return? Probably not.

  13. #38
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    1,978

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BiPoLaR_X View Post
    Will not be buying this game even its on sale or used.
    Well, that's just foolish.
    If you were to buy ROTTR used, the money wouldn't even go to the company, it would go to the store where you bought the game.

    So you can refuse to support the developer but still play the game, but you're denying yourself even that.
    "Did somebody say 'vodka?'"
    signature imagesignature image

  14. #39
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,227

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BiPoLaR_X View Post
    Will not be buying this game even its on sale or used. I even have an Xbox One but I have a PS4 also.
    Quote Originally Posted by Valenka View Post
    Well, that's just foolish.
    If you were to buy ROTTR used, the money wouldn't even go to the company, it would go to the store where you bought the game.

    So you can refuse to support the developer but still play the game, but you're denying yourself even that.
    Does the Xbox One still require second hand users to pay a fee before they can play the game? If so, he has a point. If not, you can safely buy a used copy on Xbox One, which are probably already available a few days after launch, and indulge yourself, knowing you didn't pay a cent to the Antichrist

  15. #40
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    92

    Default

    my wallet will vote for ps4 and only because microsoft was about to kill all the freedom of all gamers last year. M$ tryed hard but at the end gamers won that fight. ( with help from sony)

    Never forget this war last year - if sony didnt choose the players it would be all over now.

    Gamers out there!! Never forget this!!

  16. #41
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Vilcabamba
    Posts
    694

    Default

    Once or even if it is announced for PS4 I will preorder/buy it. Mainly because I do want the TR franchise to continue. I am just showing with my money the system I prefer. You know, if it this whole thing was about system limits like it was with Sega and Playstation for TR2 then fair enough. One particular system couldn't handle it/was much harder to develop for with improvements. Both the X1 and PS4 and most certainly PC can all handle it so the rest is just business reason.

  17. #42
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    28

    Default

    A little overly dramatic for my tastes, but I am holding off for the technically superior PS4 version, and if its not improved, then we'll know they spread themselves too thin across multiple plat
    signature image

  18. #43
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tecstar70 View Post
    While you may not like the deal that has been done, surely you love TR or you wouldn't be here. SE must have made the deal because it is lucrative, and if that is so surely by making money they can continue to make the game series that we love.

    I understand that you may be annoyed, but isn't this just cutting off your nose to spite your face? (I don't believe for a minute that people boycotting the game will have much effect on sales because once it is out people will buy it.)
    There are several true points here. People will claim to boycott it but then the minute it is released they will be first in line with the Xbox One and the game. To many armchair boycotters. This is the reason these deals continue to be successful.

    However I am a first generation gamer, old school I remember the Atari 2600 and the TSR 80. As such I am not swayed by shiny things so it will be easy to boycott the game and will not buy it or an Xbox one. Perhaps if the game comes out on other platforms I may reverse my decision but for now it stands.

  19. #44
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    856

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Valenka View Post
    Damn. This whole thing with Tomb Raider has gotten you all so testy and hostile. Take a breath and relax, no one's out to get you.
    I hope you can at least understand why, you have an Xbox One I presume so none of this impacts you. You can at least be understanding to the frustrations of other platform holders.

  20. #45
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    6,902

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Valenka View Post
    Well, that's just foolish.
    If you were to buy ROTTR used, the money wouldn't even go to the company, it would go to the store where you bought the game.

    So you can refuse to support the developer but still play the game, but you're denying yourself even that.
    BiPoLaR_X's post continues:

    ...PlayStation is where I want my Tomb Raider. Its where a lot of us want it. A lot of us want it on PC also. Xbox releases have never bothered me, but it better be on the other 2 platforms as well. I'm looking forward to watching lets plays of this game
    Sounds like BiPoLaR_X hasn't seen the news of it being confirmed as a timed release yet, maybe. Regardless of the reason they might not buy, everyone's entitled to buy, or not to buy the game.

    Quote Originally Posted by Valenka View Post
    I wasn't being condescending and I didn't mean to offend you. Maybe you shouldn't be so quick to jump down someone's throat based on miscommunication.
    Asking if someone's been under a rock the past year, as in, completely oblivious to things, is not exactly just "asking a question" It's not overly harsh, but if someone takes offense, apologizing for it and in the same breath, telling him that he should not jump down your throat for telling you that he is offended by it, is not quite how it's done.

    Jurre, also let's not perpetuate the argument. Please everyone stay on target... which is not each other

    The posts in question have been deleted. Please do not continue things here.

  21. #46
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    1,978

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Murphdawg1 View Post
    I hope you can at least understand why, you have an Xbox One I presume so none of this impacts you. You can at least be understanding to the frustrations of other platform holders.
    Your presumption is entirely false. It does impact me the same way it impacts everyone. A decision based upon what amounts to greed has devastated a community that I love.

    I do understand everything, Murph. I don't mean to be rude, but since day one I've empathised, sympathised and agreed with a lot of what everyone's been saying and I'm quite tired of defending and repeating myself.

    I'm just really tired of all of this; yes, I understand everyone is upset and for good reason, too. I just wish we can all come to terms with the fact that we can't change what's happened and instead, keep an eye on development and go back to actually talking about Tomb Raider. At least for a little while.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Hylden View Post
    Sounds like BiPoLaR_X hasn't seen the news of it being confirmed as a timed release yet, maybe. Regardless of the reason they might not buy, everyone's entitled to buy, or not to buy the game.
    I understand that, but the point I was trying to make is that this is indeed the Tomb Raider community and I think I'm right in saying that everyone wants to play every Tomb Raider game. I did read his/her entire post, as I always do, but BiPoLaR_X's statement that I addressed didn't have anything do with whether or not it was a timed exclusive; I was directing my rebuttal toward their statement that they weren't buying the game whatsoever, which I believe to be a poor choice, given the fact that a Tomb Raider fan is denying themselves the chance to play a game in a franchise they love, regardless of what platform it's released on first. That's all.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Hylden View Post
    Asking if someone's been under a rock the past year, as in, completely oblivious to things, is not exactly just "asking a question" It's not overly harsh, but if someone takes offense, apologizing for it and in the same breath, telling him that he should not jump down your throat for telling you that he is offended by it, is not quite how it's done.
    With all due respect, I meant no harm by that comment and while my apology was genuine, I don't apologise for my statement of jumping down throats, because the simple fact is, it's not right to simply assume that someone's statement was hostile just because it isn't worded in a way you'd prefer. All one would have had to have done was say something along the lines of, "Well what do you mean by that? I hope that wasn't meant to be a rude tone." To which of course, I would have apologised for giving the wrong impression and explained myself.

    I don't really understand why I was reprimanded for apologising and suggesting that maybe next time, one shouldn't be so quick to make accusations.

    I respect you and your word as a staff member, The Hylden, and I hope you don't take my response as insubordination, I just feel like I had to defend myself for a moment as I felt you inadvertently took it out of context.

  22. #47
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    6,902

    Default

    That wasn't a reprimand. No-one was infracted And I responded, while trying to say please do not continue this here, because I was not the only one who apparently took it out of context and it was about to get worse.

    Now, onto voting with our wallets, shall we?

  23. #48
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Mater Urbium
    Posts
    19,834

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Valenka View Post
    I'm just really tired of all of this; yes, I understand everyone is upset and for good reason, too. I just wish we can all come to terms with the fact that we can't change what's happened
    I get where you're coming from, Mason, but please understand that a lot of people are simply not ready to move on just yet. Keep in mind that it has only been a few days, and that the events of earlier this week has impacted the fanbase as a whole in an unprecedented way.

    Wanting people to move when it's basically still so fresh in their minds is not entirely reasonable IMHO.

    Quote Originally Posted by Valenka View Post
    With all due respect, I meant no harm by that comment and while my apology was genuine, I don't apologise for my statement of jumping down throats, because the simple fact is, it's not right to simply assume that someone's statement was hostile just because it isn't worded in a way you'd prefer. All one would have had to have done was say something along the lines of, "Well what do you mean by that? I hope that wasn't meant to be a rude tone." To which of course, I would have apologised for giving the wrong impression and explained myself.

    I don't really understand why I was reprimanded for apologising and suggesting that maybe next time, one shouldn't be so quick to make accusations.

    I respect you and your word as a staff member, The Hylden, and I hope you don't take my response as insubordination, I just feel like I had to defend myself for a moment as I felt you inadvertently took it out of context.
    Mason, when you issue an apology, you shouldn't follow it up by saying "next time don't be so sensitive". It undermines the genuineness of your apology, plain and simple.

    Remember what I told you about that fanboy article you reacted to

    Now, please, let's move on, as my colleague said

    Edit: TH posted while I was writing this. Sorry for accidentally "doubling down", heh.

    Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

  24. #49
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    1,978

    Default

    Every time I hear the phrase "vote with your wallet," all I can picture is people putting their wallets into ballet boxes.
    "Did somebody say 'vodka?'"
    signature imagesignature image

  25. #50
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Mater Urbium
    Posts
    19,834

    Default

    HA, that actually wouldn't even be such a bad metaphor, given the high level of corruption in today's governments. The voting public indeed might as well just throw bank notes into the ballet boxes

    Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •