Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 43

Thread: "Fall" of the Tomb Raider?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    1,978

    Lightbulb "Fall" of the Tomb Raider?

    Warning: this post contains a blunt opinion that may differ from the general consensus regarding the exclusivity surrounding Tomb Raider. Please read with caution and take any and all opinions expressed here with a grain of salt. Thank you.

    First things first, I'm the realest.

    Well, let me first preface this by expressing my relief that Rise of the Tomb Raider is not a permanent Xbox exclusive. Tomb Raider has always been a multi-platform experience and I'm so glad that the community as a whole will be able to experience it in the end without being essentially forced to purchase a console some may not want. That, and the fact that now I don't have to feel too guilty about picking up the game at launch.

    I'll continue by addressing the fact that the whole exclusivity deal is a load of bollocks, regardless of the fact that it's only for a duration. It never should have happened in the first place and we as a community may have lost a tremendous amount of respect for the company for what amounts to basically "selling out" a franchise that we never would have thought would have to face such controversy.

    I can only hope and pray that the potential compensation* from Microsoft is used to better the experience for everyone come launch on all platforms.

    *I say 'potential' because it was not confirmed whether or not this was a non-profit agreement or if Microsoft paid for exclusive rights for the undisclosed duration. You may, of course, choose to believe either possibility without explanation or reasoning. I'm sure most of us can agree on the more likely scenario.

    However, getting to the point of why I made this thread, when the news was shared regarding Tomb Raider's timed exclusivity, I expected a huge, shared feeling of relief and gratitude. Of course, paired with some speculation on what PC and Playstation gamers might receive as recompense for the games initial exclusivity. What I found instead was indeed the shared emotions of relief and gratitude, but a lot of slander toward the Xbox consoles and the Tomb Raider name itself. While I can understand the emotions hovering about, this should be a time for celebration and speculation, not slander and negative energy.

    It's no secret that a majority of the community prefers Playstation over Xbox when it comes to Tomb Raider (and perhaps gaming in general) and several polls throughout the forums will confirm that statistic. Which, of course, clearly fuels the negative remarks about the console(s) and such. But I'm curious: would the backlash have been the same if it were exclusive to Playstation, as opposed to Xbox? I highly doubt it, considering that the Playstation is indeed the favoured platform from the majority.

    What I find to be incredibly humorous is the fact that in the same breath, some people will speak ill about the Xbox and such, praising the Playstation and then complain about and question the validity of the console war...after just contributing to it.

    However, I'm not here to add fuel to the fire, as it were. Getting back on track...

    Why is the community referring to Lara's next adventure as The Fall of the Tomb Raider? The franchise isn't falling whatsoever. Did you miss the press release clarifying that it is a timed exclusive? Or is it because it's not exclusive to the Playstation? I know, I'm getting off track again...sorry. Anyway, the franchise is not falling, despite what some may think. This isn't the first time Tomb Raider had exclusivity with Xbox - Beneath the Ashes and Lara's Shadow anyone? - but in the past, it hadn't garnered as much backlash and I don't understand why.

    The community is still strong and hasn't separated now that we've learnt that the exclusivity isn't permanent. So why is Tomb Raider falling? Some people are acting as if ROTTR isn't coming to other platforms at all. Why are you still angry? You're still going to be able to experience the game regardless. Just because it's exclusive to Microsoft for a period of time...that means the franchise is damned? It's not!

    I've even seen some members turn away completely and pretty much say, "Well whatever, Uncharted is going to be better anyway" when just a few years ago, at the announcement of the original Uncharted game, those same people were criticising it for being a Tomb Raider clone!

    Honestly, if the Tomb Raider community is going to fall apart, it'll be because of attitudes like that, not because of monetary driven decisions from the corporate staff.

    Stop trying to find something to be angry or upset with and simply rejoice and hug one another and look forward not to the day of Rise of the Tomb Raider's launch, but instead, its second launch when it'll be available for everyone, and not just those who own an Xbox.

    Positive energy attracts positive energy. Remember that.
    "Did somebody say 'vodka?'"
    signature imagesignature image

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Maidenhead UK
    Posts
    39

    Default

    I agree with much of what you say.

    By all means people may be disappointed with the exclusivity decision. I think the decision was disappointing, though I don't have insight into the financials to understand its relative necessity.

    But for many people then to argue that after all TR2013 sucked and they hope CD goes bust.
    Or to argue that only PS/PC owners are proper fans,
    or to abuse VAs, writers, CD employees (and ex employees) online
    is no way to make a point.

    I also note a very many civil, constructive and morally credible complaints but they have largely been drowned out by the more extreme posts.
    signature image

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    856

    Default

    Microsoft gets the bad reputation that they have from non Xbox fanboys because they always seem to do this kind of stuff and to outsiders it appears as though they can't make any other games not named Halo or Forza so what do they do? Throw a bunch of cash at 3rd party devs for timed exclusives and DLC a month earlier for their owners. Yes Sony is guility of the practice as well regarding DLC but it's not even on the same level as keeping whole games off a certain platform for an extended amount of time(Plants vs Zombies 2 Garden Warfare, also is there any particular reason Ryse and Dead Rising 3 couldn't be on the PS4?) Also the fact that Sony actually makes alot of their own exclusives so they have much more 1st party content.

    Remember it's the day after alot of people felt like Crystal and Sqaure Enix were walking out on them due to the terrible blog post from Mr.Gallahger so can you blame anyone really for being still a bit pissed off at the situation? I know I am but i'm sure people will calm down especially when it's actually confirmed this game will be coming to PC and PS4.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    BosniaAndHerzegovina
    Posts
    3,959

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Valenka View Post
    But I'm curious: would the backlash have been the same if it were exclusive to Playstation, as opposed to Xbox? I highly doubt it, considering that the Playstation is indeed the favoured platform from the majority.
    A very large majority stated that they would feel the same way were it a PS4 exclusive. It's not about being an XBox exclusive, it's about being an exclusive.


    Quote Originally Posted by Valenka View Post
    Why is the community referring to Lara's next adventure as The Fall of the Tomb Raider? The franchise isn't falling whatsoever. Did you miss the press release clarifying that it is a timed exclusive? Or is it because it's not exclusive to the Playstation? I know, I'm getting off track again...sorry. Anyway, the franchise is not falling, despite what some may think. This isn't the first time Tomb Raider had exclusivity with Xbox - Beneath the Ashes and Lara's Shadow anyone? - but in the past, it hadn't garnered as much backlash and I don't understand why.
    The "Fall of the Tomb Raider" started as a joke before it was announced as a timed exclusive.

    Quote Originally Posted by Valenka View Post
    Why are you still angry?
    We are angry because corporate BS is messing with our fav franchise. Just because it happened before, doesn't mean it's ok to happen again.


    Quote Originally Posted by Valenka View Post
    Stop trying to find something to be angry or upset with and simply rejoice and hug one another and look forward not to the day of Rise of the Tomb Raider's launch, but instead, its second launch when it'll be available for everyone, and not just those who own an Xbox.

    Positive energy attracts positive energy. Remember that.
    I think we're all happy it's coming out eventually, that still doesn't mean we can't be mad it isn't coming out when it should've been.
    Raiding tombs since 2007. deviantART tumblr | N7
    signature image

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    1,978

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by d1n0_xD View Post
    A very large majority stated that they would feel the same way were it a PS4 exclusive. It's not about being an XBox exclusive, it's about being an exclusive.
    Tomb Raider is still a multi-platform title, just not right away in this case. I understand why people are upset, but I think it's time to turn the sprinklers on.

    Quote Originally Posted by d1n0_xD View Post
    The "Fall of the Tomb Raider" started as a joke before it was announced as a timed exclusive.
    Well, it would be nice if people would knock it off already, since it's no longer relevant.

    Quote Originally Posted by d1n0_xD View Post
    We are angry because corporate BS is messing with our fav franchise. Just because it happened before, doesn't mean it's ok to happen again.
    Understandable. However, I don't think anyone wants to hear about it until the end of time. Arguing and debating with one another won't heal the wound. Concerns should be directed toward the parties responsible.

    Quote Originally Posted by d1n0_xD View Post
    I think we're all happy it's coming out eventually, that still doesn't mean we can't be mad it isn't coming out when it should've been.
    I understand that, but is that all anyone is going to talk about until the game is launched? I want to talk about Tomb Raider, not about which console it's being released for first.
    "Did somebody say 'vodka?'"
    signature imagesignature image

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Padua, Italy
    Posts
    3,257

    Default

    I actually agree with a bunch of things you said (especially at the beginning of the post), but I think I agree more with what Dino said.

    You can't blame (although you don't seem to be doing it) people for being disappointed at what CD/SE/MS did. I am happy that the game will eventually come out on PC and PS4 too, but I am still disappointed and I still think that it's not fair to not have it out at the same time on all the three platforms.

    And as I stated a lot of times, I would have reacted the same if the game was announced to be exclusive for PS4 or PC.

    Quote Originally Posted by Valenka View Post
    I understand that, but is that all anyone is going to talk about until the game is launched? I want to talk about Tomb Raider, not about which console it's being released for first.
    Not everyone wants to talk about the same thing.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    1,978

    Default

    Oh Lord, no. I don't blame anyone for anything regarding the situation. I think its quite justified, actually. I'm just tired of hearing about it now that we've heard it's not permanent. I want to go back to speculating about the game.

    Quote Originally Posted by pidipidi39 View Post
    Not everyone wants to talk about the same thing.
    True, sadly. I think we need a new subforum dedicated to rants and raves.
    "Did somebody say 'vodka?'"
    signature imagesignature image

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    BosniaAndHerzegovina
    Posts
    3,959

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Valenka View Post
    Tomb Raider is still a multi-platform title, just not right away in this case. I understand why people are upset, but I think it's time to turn the sprinklers on.
    Well, we'll see how those sprinklers are going to affect people once it comes out on Xbox. People are gonna play it and talk about it, and others won't.



    Quote Originally Posted by Valenka View Post
    Well, it would be nice if people would knock it off already, since it's no longer relevant.
    It is, tho. We're not gonna stand for it being a timed exclusive either. I'm not saying RotTR will come out on all plarforms equally if we're loud enough, I'm saying if we're loud enough, it won't happen again in the future.

    Quote Originally Posted by Valenka View Post
    Understandable. However, I don't think anyone wants to hear about it until the end of time. Arguing and debating with one another won't heal the wound. Concerns should be directed toward the parties responsible.
    Maybe you don't want to hear it, but staying quiet won't change a thing. We're not arguing with each other, we're arguing with with CD/SE/whoever let this happen. And clearly by the way it's still going on, everyone wants to hear about it until it's fixed.

    Quote Originally Posted by Valenka View Post
    I understand that, but is that all anyone is going to talk about until the game is launched? I want to talk about Tomb Raider, not about which console it's being released for first.
    We're gonna talk about what's relevent. If a screenshot or a trailer or a gameplay video comes out, we're gonna talk about it. Until then, and posssibly afterwards, we're gonna talk about it because this is what's going on and what's important.
    Raiding tombs since 2007. deviantART tumblr | N7
    signature image

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    1,978

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by d1n0_xD View Post
    We're gonna talk about what's relevent. If a screenshot or a trailer or a gameplay video comes out, we're gonna talk about it. Until then, and posssibly afterwards, we're gonna talk about because this is what's going on and what's important.
    In that case, I'm lobbying for the ability to filter threads, so that I can only read and contribute to discussions involving the game itself and not marketing choices.
    "Did somebody say 'vodka?'"
    signature imagesignature image

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Padua, Italy
    Posts
    3,257

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Valenka View Post
    Oh Lord, no. I don't blame anyone for anything regarding the situation. I think its quite justified, actually. I'm just tired of hearing about it now that we've heard it's not permanent. I want to go back to speculating about the game.
    But I do get this.

    It's just that for some people knowing that's it's ''just a timed exclusive'' doesn't erase everything. It makes the situation better, but it does not repair it completely.

    I am quite done ranting (I'm still not happy about the situation though), but some people aren't. And till they'll keep on ranting in a respectful way (I've not seen every post people have posted here since yesterday so I can't know if someone has insulted anyone or said insulting/disrespectful stuff) let them be.

    Quote Originally Posted by Valenka View Post
    True, sadly. I think we need a new subforum dedicated to rants and raves.
    That would be sad.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    BosniaAndHerzegovina
    Posts
    3,959

    Default

    @Valenka, No need for lobbying, just don't read the threads revolved around the exclusivity


    Quote Originally Posted by pidipidi39 View Post
    It's just that for some people knowing that's it's ''just a timed exclusive'' doesn't erase everything. It makes the situation better, but it does not repair it completely.
    Yeah, it's like having an incurable non-lethal disease with annoying symptoms. You feel grateful you're not gonna die, but you still want to be perfectly healthy.
    Raiding tombs since 2007. deviantART tumblr | N7
    signature image

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    955

    Default

    One of the very few upcoming games I was looking forward to. Oh well...

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Ohio, USA.
    Posts
    1,079

    Default

    What else is there to talk about? There wasn't any other information released so the forum would just go back to being dead.

    I mean come on, it's 1 day after all this happened. And what happened was pretty upsetting, you can't expect everyone to get over it and move on that quickly. And asking for sub forums and filters already is kind of dramatic.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    18

    Default

    All that was really said was that the contract had "a duration"... if the duration is longer than one to several years... it may as well be a console exclusive, imho.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    BosniaAndHerzegovina
    Posts
    3,959

    Default

    I don't know, man, if I had an Xbox ready, maybe I would ask them to shut up too

    I'm just joking, Valenka, I know you're not like that
    Raiding tombs since 2007. deviantART tumblr | N7
    signature image

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    1,978

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by d1n0_xD View Post
    I don't know, man, if I had an Xbox ready, maybe I would ask them to shut up too I'm just joking, Valenka, I know you're not like that
    LOL you're damn skippy, I'm not.

    If y'all want to talk about mad, I'm mad that no one caught and/or laughed at the joke I made:

    Quote Originally Posted by Valenka View Post
    First things first, I'm the realest.
    "Did somebody say 'vodka?'"
    signature imagesignature image

  17. #17
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Padua, Italy
    Posts
    3,257

    Default

    I actually was going to answer to you with a "Drop this and let the Whole world feel it", but I thought it would have made no sense, lol.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    4,066

    Default

    I don't think it's been confirmed that Rise is definitely coming to the PC and PS4 has it? I suppose it's hopeful now compared to yesterday.

    Anyway, since the exclusivity was announced people have been using 'Fall' of the TR or Death of Tomb Raider, which is a knee jerk reaction, but still quite childish, imo. Hoping the game fails or the franchise ends is an extreme reaction. I've seen TRF members asking to be banned from the forums over this as they feel they can't support the franchise any more. Okay, fine, if you won't or can't buy the game and you're frustrated by that, it's understandable. But to give up on the franchise you love, to leave the TR community over this? Really?

    Things are beginning to calm a little and the news it's timed has helped. I really do hope PS4 and PC gamers will get the chance to play the game. It would be a real shame for them to miss out. All of this has actually made me feel slightly uncomfortable about buying the game, if I can afford an Xbox One or if it comes to the 360, I'll still want to play the game. I still support it and even CD as I don't blame the developers, as they're making the game, not making the decisions on PR or marketing/sales. I still want TR to do well as a franchise and be competitive against its nearest rivals. I'm unhappy about this, but I'm not wishing TR ends either.

    I was in two minds as well. I was hoping to see new footage as it may have helped as people could see the game and talk about it, but maybe it's too soon as people would get upset again as they know they'll be missing out, so maybe CD are right to hold back for a while on showing footage just yet . .

    We haven't seen any real footage of the game yet. Some people are saying they'll boycott the game even if they have an Xbox (360 or One) or if the game will come to PS4 and PC once the 'duration' (length unknown) ends. I wonder if people will change their minds once they've seen something of the gameplay/another trailer.
    Last edited by Rai; 08-13-2014 at 06:06 PM.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,801

    Default

    "A Tomb Raider's End"

    "The rise of a thief"

    fixed.
    signature image

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    14

    Default

    it has NOT been confirmed, CD response appeared, to me, to be a multi year/game thing as they look to the future with M$ as a partner...
    if that is the case.. it IS death of the tomb raider cause e no one will buy a crappy Xbone just to lay one game, no matter the game...and since CD and SE rely on sales, which they won't be getting, the franchise will die


    as for the outrage dying down.. I am not seeing that at all.. people are in a waiting period. awaiting confirmation of a PS4/PC release.. if that does not happen, the outrage will erupt... it is akin to the whole M$ E3 fumble


    Quote Originally Posted by Rai View Post
    I don't think it's been confirmed that Rise is definitely coming to the PC and PS4 has it? I suppose it's hopeful now compared to yesterday.

    Anyway, since the exclusivity was announced people have been using 'Fall' of the TR or Death of Tomb Raider, which is a knee jerk reaction, but still quite childish, imo. Hoping the game fails or the franchise ends is an extreme reaction. I've seen TRF members asking to be banned from the forums over this as they feel they can't support the franchise any more. Okay, fine, if you won't or can't buy the game and you're frustrated by that, it's understandable. But to give up on the franchise you love, to leave the TR community over this? Really?

    Things are beginning to calm a little and the news it's timed has helped. I really do hope PS4 and PC gamers will get the chance to play the game. It would be a real shame for them to miss out. All of this has actually made me feel slightly uncomfortable about buying the game, if I can afford an Xbox One or if it comes to the 360, I'll still want to play the game. I still support it and even CD as I don't blame the developers, as they're making the game, not making the decisions on PR or marketing/sales. I still want TR to do well as a franchise and be competitive against its nearest rivals. I'm unhappy about this, but I'm not wishing TR ends either.

    I was in two minds as well. I was hoping to see new footage as it may have helped as people could see the game and talk about it, but maybe it's too soon as people would get upset again as they know they'll be missing out, so maybe CD are right to hold back for a while on showing footage just yet . .

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    13

    Default

    I for one hope CD will be smart once this unneeded timed exclusive crap is over that they do release this game to the ps3, ps4, & pc so the people will not be forced to have to buy an x1 or a 360(if you only owned a ps3).

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Ohio, USA.
    Posts
    1,079

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rai View Post
    I don't think it's been confirmed that Rise is definitely coming to the PC and PS4 has it? I suppose it's hopeful now compared to yesterday.
    Not.. really? I guess. D:

    We know that it's a timed exclusive but who knows how long that could be. It could be 2 months, or 2 years. And I guess it's just a logical assumption that they would release it on other platforms after the duration is up, but I suppose that doesn't mean they will for sure. ;_;

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    4,066

    Default

    Well the game was originally announced for both next gen consoles, right? So I assume that means that CD have at least some work done for the PS4, so in theory, if they continue to work on that platform (and the PC version), then they'll be able to release it as soon as possible once this duration is over. I hope CD will say something about this soon.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    856

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rai View Post
    Well the game was originally announced for both next gen consoles, right? So I assume that means that CD have at least some work done for the PS4, so in theory, if they continue to work on that platform (and the PC version), then they'll be able to release it as soon as possible once this duration is over. I hope CD will say something about this soon.
    Yeah you figured after the mess Darrell Gallagher left yesterday someone would have come back and been like "okay guys here is what's happening".

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Ohio, USA.
    Posts
    1,079

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rai View Post
    Well the game was originally announced for both next gen consoles, right? So I assume that means that CD have at least some work done for the PS4, so in theory, if they continue to work on that platform (and the PC version), then they'll be able to release it as soon as possible once this duration is over. I hope CD will say something about this soon.
    I think this is the most frustrating thing about it. Being left in the dark, not knowing anything. And when they do tell us something it's practically all regurgitated PR crap, it's so obvious and belittling I can't stand it. I just want it straight up. Give us some concrete answers! ugh.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •