Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 43 of 43

Thread: "Fall" of the Tomb Raider?

  1. #26
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    1,978

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rai View Post
    I don't think it's been confirmed that Rise is definitely coming to the PC and PS4 has it? I suppose it's hopeful now compared to yesterday.
    Still no official confirmation and that is the source of everyone's frustration. It was confirmed that the Xbox exclusivity isn't permanent, but no confirmation that it'll be coming to other platforms afterwards.

    In my opinion, it's pretty obvious that it is coming to the Playstation and PC; if it wasn't, they wouldn't have said the exclusivity was timed. It would have been permanent.

    But no one will be happy until they get an official word...as if common sense is a rarity.
    "Did somebody say 'vodka?'"
    signature imagesignature image

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Brighton UK
    Posts
    854

    Default

    It's called damage control...

    A PC/PS release should absolutely not be assumed until an official announcement is given, not before then. Because It seemed to me there was almost a SE/CD/MS trinity forming around the future of Tomb Raider. The language used suggested slightly more Microsoft involvement than just a one off deal. The Darrell Gallagher statement was beyond patronising and an insult to most Tomb Raider supporters!

    A timed exclusive could possibly mean a very long time. I think it would be wise for PC/PS TR fans to not give a sigh of relief just yet...

    If the worst happened, TR being exclusive on XBONE for quite some time say for a few games. It would be the fall of Tomb Raider because it's following would decrease immensely.
    signature image
    PSN username - Kiss-Byte & XboxLive username - KissBite

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    1,347

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kiss-bite View Post
    A PC/PS release should absolutely not be assumed until an official announcement is given, not before then.
    Agreed, but the probability is that it will and it would be highly stupid and irregular not to.

    Quote Originally Posted by kiss-bite View Post
    A timed exclusive could possibly mean a very long time. I think it would be wise for PC/PS TR fans to not give a sigh of relief just yet...
    It could, but again it would be highly stupid and irregular.

    Quote Originally Posted by kiss-bite View Post
    If the worst happened, TR being exclusive on XBONE for quite some time say for a few games. It would be the fall of Tomb Raider because it's following would decrease immensely.
    ...and that would be very stupid, so the question is are SE THAT stupid?
    Gamersrespawn 21+ Gaming Community Fun Play Enjoy Respect
    signature image

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,227

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kiss-bite View Post
    It's called damage control...

    A PC/PS release should absolutely not be assumed until an official announcement is given, not before then. Because It seemed to me there was almost a SE/CD/MS trinity forming around the future of Tomb Raider.
    Yes, this partnership between SE and Microsoft is definately something to be very, VERY worried about, but I do believe that it will come out on the other platforms. SE are not crazy, they know that even after taking Microsofts bribe there is a PS and PC market that they are not going to ignore.

    Still, you're right: it doesn't hurt to be prepared...

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    612

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Valenka View Post
    Still no official confirmation and that is the source of everyone's frustration. It was confirmed that the Xbox exclusivity isn't permanent, but no confirmation that it'll be coming to other platforms afterwards.

    In my opinion, it's pretty obvious that it is coming to the Playstation and PC; if it wasn't, they wouldn't have said the exclusivity was timed. It would have been permanent.

    But no one will be happy until they get an official word...as if common sense is a rarity.
    CD are probably watching. They will want to see if fans get over it and then next time they can give microsoft a longer exclusivity (not that we even know how long this one will be). If we keep being very vocal especially round the X-box one release time and the hype they want to make about the game turns sour (until the PS/PC release) they will have to rethink. The statement released gives every indication that if we as fans don't really fight for this it's going to happen worse next time. Fully exclusive TR games is a nightmare that could come true.

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    1,347

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Flintmelody View Post
    Fully exclusive TR games is a nightmare that could come true.
    Do you really believe a 3rd part dev can afford to do this? Would one manufacturer be willing to stump up enough cash to do this?

    I don't believe this is a viable outcome under normal circumstances. The only way this would happen would be if CD/SE went down the tubes and either MS or Sony bought up the IP.
    Gamersrespawn 21+ Gaming Community Fun Play Enjoy Respect
    signature image

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Bournemouth, UK
    Posts
    5,325

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tecstar70 View Post
    Do you really believe a 3rd part dev can afford to do this? Would one manufacturer be willing to stump up enough cash to do this?
    It's Microsoft, I'm sure if Phil Spencer cried enough, they'd get enough money to buy the IP

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Middle Earth
    Posts
    3,455

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rai View Post
    Well the game was originally announced for both next gen consoles, right? So I assume that means that CD have at least some work done for the PS4, so in theory, if they continue to work on that platform (and the PC version), then they'll be able to release it as soon as possible once this duration is over. I hope CD will say something about this soon.
    But was it originally announced for both consoles? The trailer didn't mention it, the official announcement didn't either. And I remember ROTTR being featured on Xbox's site in their list of exclusive games. But of course it didn't cross anyone's mind that TR could actually be an exclusive, so everyone assumed it would be on both consoles. But as far as I remember, officially, that announcement was never made...
    signature image

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,227

    Default

    The Playstation and PC ports of Crystal Dynamics games are made by Nixxes, very close to were I live. Now of course they haven't mentioned anything about their work on TR10 on their website, but I could grab one of their employees and interrogate him

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    1,978

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dark7angel View Post
    But was it originally announced for both consoles? The trailer didn't mention it, the official announcement didn't either.
    There was never an official announcement for platforms. With the announcement trailer and text, it simply said 'Holiday 2015.' There were no logos or text present to allude to current-generation or last-generation platforms, or exclusivity rights for that matter.

    Therefore, it is indeed a safe assumption that the whole exclusivity deal was in the talks since ROTTR's original announcement.
    "Did somebody say 'vodka?'"
    signature imagesignature image

  11. #36
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,923

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jurre View Post
    but I could grab one of their employees and interrogate him
    Well... I won't stop you
    Don't send me PM's I'm too classy for that kind of thing. (my inbox is full, kay?)
    signature image

  12. #37
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Middle Earth
    Posts
    3,455

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Valenka View Post
    There was never an official announcement for platforms. With the announcement trailer and text, it simply said 'Holiday 2015.' There were no logos or text present to allude to current-generation or last-generation platforms, or exclusivity rights for that matter.

    Therefore, it is indeed a safe assumption that the whole exclusivity deal was in the talks since ROTTR's original announcement.
    Thank you for confirming this.
    signature image

  13. #38
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    85

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Valenka View Post
    Warning: this post contains a blunt opinion that may differ from the general consensus regarding the exclusivity surrounding Tomb Raider. Please read with caution and take any and all opinions expressed here with a grain of salt. Thank you.

    First things first, I'm the realest.

    Well, let me first preface this by expressing my relief that Rise of the Tomb Raider is not a permanent Xbox exclusive. Tomb Raider has always been a multi-platform experience and I'm so glad that the community as a whole will be able to experience it in the end without being essentially forced to purchase a console some may not want. That, and the fact that now I don't have to feel too guilty about picking up the game at launch.
    I'm so glad you had the honesty to post this. Let's just hope CD come on here and read all our posts.

  14. #39
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    River Ridge, LA
    Posts
    1,749

    Default

    Hi, Valenka,

    Speaking only for Myself, as someone who is not in any pressing need for a new Tomb Raider game in it's rebooted universe, the big deal is that for those who have been waiting for the next installment, a majority of them are now being forced to wait a lot longer than they'd planned....and it's being framed by some that the only way they'll actually get to play the game is if they buy an Xbox One, despite the mention of timed exclusivity. The bigger deal is that no matter how long the exclusivity deal lasts, for the majority, it's going to feel like an eternity....and given that apparently no solid numbers have been given on when the deal ends....that's going to be quite the eternity, and possibly enough that a lot of folks are simply going to shrug their shoulders and say: "Lara who?".

    It is Microsoft's hubris and smug attitude from the start of the console pre-release press that blinded them to the notion that they need something to compete with Uncharted series on Sony...and since they squandered that time with first pissing off gamers with their strict drm policies, and then recanted, they did not take the time to develop their own first party IP...and now they're desperately trying to play catch up by greasing the palms of Squeenix and CD to turn their backs on the majority of folk who have played this title on PS or PC platforms. They're banking a lot on the notion that Tomb Raider could be a console seller. I, for one, honestly don't see it happening.

    Microsoft has no interest in making a better, bigger, badder Tomb Raider for all to eventually enjoy. That would just be bad business for them as far as they are concerned. They are only interested in selling their failing and flailing console....and are taking desperate steps to do so, by eniticing a move that they know is going to piss off a majority of TR gamers.

    People might think that MS is being benevolent by being the ones to announce that the exclusivity deal is limited duration....but unfortunately, all they're coming across as is the naughty little boy who keeps getting his hand caught in the cookie jar, and then looking all cute and winsome and saying: "oh, gee golly willikers, I swear, sir and/or ma'am, I'll never do that again.". And then everyome gets warm fuzzies, and everyone just wants to hug the little fella, while the little is grinning, figuring out simply how to get away with his transgressions next time.

    That's the rub, I'd dare say, Valenka. And that's probably why the subject is not going to go away....for a long time.

    Respectfully,
    Lord Martok.
    Shanghai! Hong Kong! Egg Fu Yung! Fortune cookie always wrong!

  15. #40
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    290

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Martok View Post
    Microsoft has no interest in making a better, bigger, badder Tomb Raider for all to eventually enjoy. That would just be bad business for them as far as they are concerned. They are only interested in selling their failing and flailing console....and are taking desperate steps to do so, by eniticing a move that they know is going to piss off a majority of TR gamers.
    I'm pretty sure that's actually true. The battle between M$ and Sony is a game on it's own. And M$ is cheating.

  16. #41
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,228

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Martok View Post
    Microsoft has no interest in making a better, bigger, badder Tomb Raider for all to eventually enjoy. That would just be bad business for them as far as they are concerned. They are only interested in selling their failing and flailing console....and are taking desperate steps to do so, by eniticing a move that they know is going to piss off a majority of TR gamers.

    People might think that MS is being benevolent by being the ones to announce that the exclusivity deal is limited duration....but unfortunately, all they're coming across as is the naughty little boy who keeps getting his hand caught in the cookie jar, and then looking all cute and winsome and saying: "oh, gee golly willikers, I swear, sir and/or ma'am, I'll never do that again.". And then everyome gets warm fuzzies, and everyone just wants to hug the little fella, while the little is grinning, figuring out simply how to get away with his transgressions next time.

    That's the rub, I'd dare say, Valenka. And that's probably why the subject is not going to go away....for a long time.

    Respectfully,
    Lord Martok.
    Microsoft have so many other projects and are so big that a bit of negative publicity isn't going to hurt them much if it shifts a few more consoles. They want to make it look they have TR exclusivity as a counter to Uncharted. That isn't what they have and they only told that wasn't true due to fan pressure.

    CD are the ones who will get trapped in all of this. Having a big game release and telling 1/3 of the fanbase you are getting this game at Christmas and it looks so disrespectful to not tell everyone else when or even if their consoles' versions. The PS and PC are the consoles that really launched TR's success in the first place so that is where much of the fanbase is. I feel that the wonderfully passionate fans of the TR fanbase deserve better than the way Darrell Gallagher and CD have acted recently. We all want to get behind this game and even xbox gamers are going to want to be able to talk about a great game when they play it without giving away spoilers.
    signature image

  17. #42
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    U.S.G. Ishimura
    Posts
    1,327

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GemmaDarkmoon View Post
    Microsoft have so many other projects and are so big that a bit of negative publicity isn't going to hurt them much if it shifts a few more consoles. They want to make it look they have TR exclusivity as a counter to Uncharted. That isn't what they have and they only told that wasn't true due to fan pressure.

    CD are the ones who will get trapped in all of this. Having a big game release and telling 1/3 of the fanbase you are getting this game at Christmas and it looks so disrespectful to not tell everyone else when or even if their consoles' versions. The PS and PC are the consoles that really launched TR's success in the first place so that is where much of the fanbase is. I feel that the wonderfully passionate fans of the TR fanbase deserve better than the way Darrell Gallagher and CD have acted recently. We all want to get behind this game and even xbox gamers are going to want to be able to talk about a great game when they play it without giving away spoilers.
    wintervoices.blogspot.com
    signature image

  18. #43
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    River Ridge, LA
    Posts
    1,749

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GemmaDarkmoon View Post
    Microsoft have so many other projects and are so big that a bit of negative publicity isn't going to hurt them much if it shifts a few more consoles. They want to make it look they have TR exclusivity as a counter to Uncharted. That isn't what they have and they only told that wasn't true due to fan pressure.
    Perhaps, but after their previous shenanigans, I'm not going to give them even that much credit.

    Quote Originally Posted by GemmaDarkmoon
    CD are the ones who will get trapped in all of this. Having a big game release and telling 1/3 of the fanbase you are getting this game at Christmas and it looks so disrespectful to not tell everyone else when or even if their consoles' versions. The PS and PC are the consoles that really launched TR's success in the first place so that is where much of the fanbase is. I feel that the wonderfully passionate fans of the TR fanbase deserve better than the way Darrell Gallagher and CD have acted recently.
    Agreed to that point.



    Quote Originally Posted by GemmaDarkmoon
    even xbox gamers are going to want to be able to talk about a great game when they play it without giving away spoilers.
    and sadly, I fear some of them will be just dickish enough to give away spoilers. Also, since the game is going to be out on Xbone for quite a while, spoilers will be inevitable on discussion forums, YouTube and other video service reviews, etc. PS and PC gamers are getting screwed in more ways than one,
    Shanghai! Hong Kong! Egg Fu Yung! Fortune cookie always wrong!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •