Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 61

Thread: Terrible terrible PR

  1. #26
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    BosniaAndHerzegovina
    Posts
    3,959

    Default

    I just love when someones mentions new IPs as exclusives as an argument, makes me smile :|
    Raiding tombs since 2007. deviantART tumblr | N7
    signature image

  2. #27
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Part-Time Nomad
    Posts
    2,820

    Default

    As I've stated on another region of this Eidos world, apart from the PR catastrophe, what never fails to surprise is this schizophrenic industry continues to perpetually run on borrowed money. Aside from the sack of money, MS is likely to foot the publicity bill, which usually runs in 7 or 8 figures. By taking this out of the accounting, Square shareholders will never truly know how much it costs them to produce X amount of revenues.

    MS signs a few deals like this, most likely using budgets from MS Games as well as MS marketing, to try and consolidate console sales, without any possibility of evaluating net results. And console sales themselves aren't worth spit, if they don't translate into online gaming and social hub revenues.

    And then there's the studio, running on excessive public and private subsidies, who has no credible accounting beyond the rent and the paychecks, who can't possibly calculate whether or not it is economically viable to continue to exist. In the end they will likely share a part of the burden with one or more other studios, located in other countries, running on other public subsidies.
    The old world is dying away, the new world struggles to come forth: Now is the time of monsters
    signature image

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    35

    Default

    I don't believe my reaction was knee-jerk. I am still disappointed in how SE/CD handled this. Why is Microsoft the one telling us about duration? (probably because only they can) CD/SE's PR with their fans is terrible and this will hurt customer loyalty. I know I won't be paying full price when the game is released on PC/PS4.

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    London | UK
    Posts
    36

    Default

    Knee-jerk?

    If it wasn't for the "knee-jerking" we'd still be wondering if it was timed on not, we'd still be guessing, left in the dark with corporate speak. The initial announcement IS shady, it's not even open for debate.
    They knew perfectly well how elusive the announcement would be, these 'speeches' and texts are all well thought out, reviewed, proofread, re-structured, re-sentenced until it's approved. They didn't lie, but omitting facts and important details is very very shady, and in the real world where it matters - say in a case of police / federal investigation, omitting facts can get you in the same bag of trouble and conviction as the perpetrator, because not telling facts you know are important in the context is shady, it show you might have ulterior motives, other intentions (in this case help MS sell xbone units).

    So yes, it is shady, have no doubt about it. The clarifying announcement from Phil Spencer wouldn't even have existed if it wasn't for the mass reaction from the fan-base. CD/SE decided to try and hide a few facts and test the water, it blew up in their face of course.

    In a world where social networks seems to be everything, and anyone can directly address you using facebook, comments and twitter, the "knee-jerking" is a lot more visible. While 10/15 years ago an announcement like this could be made and gotten away with because people's 'rage' wasn't visible unless you visited the forums, now it's everywhere. The knee-jerking didn't increase or change, the visibility of it has, and because of that it's a lot easier to cause uproar, scandal, being seen by press and criticized.

    This "knee-jerking" was and is necessary exactly to demonstrate these companies we're not complete morons with wallets filled with money, that needs to change, there needs to be transparency, clear messages and reasons because the consumer today is smarter.

    What this displays from CD/SE is - in academic lingo - "moral myopia," which is a distortion of moral vision that prevents moral issues from coming into focus, say when receiving huge wads of cash, and a complete lack of intellectual respect for their own consumers.
    Last edited by unrealized; 08-14-2014 at 02:45 AM. Reason: typos
    signature image

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Brighton UK
    Posts
    854

    Default

    Indeed it is. However, just because the exclusivity is timed doesn't mean it will still come to other platforms. Damage control it may be and we can't assume it will eventually come out for PS and PC until it is officially confirmed...
    signature image
    PSN username - Kiss-Byte & XboxLive username - KissBite

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    1,347

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kiss-bite View Post
    Indeed it is. However, just because the exclusivity is timed doesn't mean it will still come to other platforms. Damage control it may be and we can't assume it will eventually come out for PS and PC until it is officially confirmed...
    Correct, but be honest. It will:

    http://forums.eidosgames.com/showpos...1&postcount=62
    Gamersrespawn 21+ Gaming Community Fun Play Enjoy Respect
    signature image

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    London | UK
    Posts
    36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kiss-bite View Post
    However, just because the exclusivity is timed doesn't mean it will still come to other platforms.
    Of course it will, and if history is anything to go by, it will be soon after. A timed exclusive is just that, timed, after that contractual agreement is expired SE will want to make as much money as possible as fast as possible while the game is still "fresh" and way before the third one's release.
    This timed is expected to boost Xbone sales for Christmas, they even mentioned having bundles being set-up.

    Tying a game to a console to boost its sales only works for the first 90 to 120 days, after that, whoever wanted to buy that game+console already did so. At the most you're looking into a 1 year exclusive, which I doubt it since - like I said - SE will want to make more revenue out of the other systems asap. We're most likely looking at a 3 to 6 months exclusive.

    It's still pretty terrible since we'll only get a hold of the game by 2016.
    signature image

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    1,347

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by unrealized View Post
    We're most likely looking at a 3 to 6 months exclusive.
    Totally agree. I think it won't even be that long. November 2015 to January 2016 I reckon.
    Gamersrespawn 21+ Gaming Community Fun Play Enjoy Respect
    signature image

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Brighton UK
    Posts
    854

    Default

    Prepare yourself for possible disappointment... Unless you own an XBONE anyway so it makes no difference.
    signature image
    PSN username - Kiss-Byte & XboxLive username - KissBite

  10. #35
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    U.S.G. Ishimura
    Posts
    1,327

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rai View Post
    Agreed . Although I do think Se/CD need a lesson or two in speech writing. I suppose as it was a Microsoft conference (?), they probably felt the need to keep MS sweet and announce the exclusivity alone at that point. Perhaps they were going to announce the timed part later on, but with yesterday's uproar they and MS felt the need to speak out sooner.
    Well, to be fair, we don't and never will know the fine print in the contract. For all we know, Crystal had to sign a non-disclosure agreement. Corporate America is big on those (I have had to sign a few myself for simple things like replacing a light bulb in the bathroom of an office building. That is not made up. And more times than not, they're companies that are not who you'd think would want/need them.). I'm not defending Crystals lack of clarification, I'm just saying. I'd be willing to bet that someone at Crystal called someone at Microsoft and said: "Look, we've got this clause. Help us!" and that's why Microsoft dropped the news.
    wintervoices.blogspot.com
    signature image

  11. #36
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    856

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WinterSoldier View Post
    Well, to be fair, we don't and never will know the fine print in the contract. For all we know, Crystal had to sign a non-disclosure agreement. Corporate America is big on those (I have had to sign a few myself for simple things like replacing a light bulb in the bathroom of an office building. That is not made up. And more times than not, they're companies that are not who you'd think would want/need them.). I'm not defending Crystals lack of clarification, I'm just saying. I'd be willing to bet that someone at Crystal called someone at Microsoft and said: "Look, we've got this clause. Help us!" and that's why Microsoft dropped the news.
    Probably more like "Look we've got a bunch of pissed off fans at us and you too, a little help please?"

  12. #37
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    1,978

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kiss-bite View Post
    Prepare yourself for possible disappointment... Unless you own an XBONE anyway so it makes no difference.
    That's not true.
    I own an Xbox One and I'm still crossing my fingers and toes for some good news for PC and PS players. It makes a difference to some people. Sure, I'll be enjoying the game at launch, but it'll be a bittersweet thing knowing that a large percentage of the community I love isn't able to experience it with me.
    "Did somebody say 'vodka?'"
    signature imagesignature image

  13. #38
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    U.S.G. Ishimura
    Posts
    1,327

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Murphdawg1 View Post
    Probably more like "Look we've got a bunch of pissed off fans at us and you too, a little help please?"
    Yeah, I'm sure that was more like what it was.
    wintervoices.blogspot.com
    signature image

  14. #39
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Bournemouth, UK
    Posts
    5,325

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Valenka View Post
    It makes a difference to some people. Sure, I'll be enjoying the game at launch, but it'll be a bittersweet thing knowing that a large percentage of the community I love isn't able to experience it with me.
    I swear, if you post a single spoiler on your Facebook, I will hunt you down.

  15. #40
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    1,978

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by a big house View Post
    I swear, if you post a single spoiler on your Facebook, I will hunt you down.
    Remind me again at launch because by holiday next year, I'll have forgotten in my excitement.
    "Did somebody say 'vodka?'"
    signature imagesignature image

  16. #41
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,923

    Default

    I guess it's a good thing I barely use Facebook and and don't use Twitter and Tumblr. These forums will be messy around the release date. I wonder if moderation will be more strict about spoilers since the majority of fans will be holding off for the PS4/PC versions.
    Don't send me PM's I'm too classy for that kind of thing. (my inbox is full, kay?)
    signature image

  17. #42
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    1,978

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Weemanply109 View Post
    I guess it's a good thing I barely use Facebook and and don't use Twitter and Tumblr.
    That's a shame, you should see some of the hilarious things I post on Facebook.
    "Did somebody say 'vodka?'"
    signature imagesignature image

  18. #43
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Bournemouth, UK
    Posts
    5,325

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Valenka View Post
    That's a shame, you should see some of the hilarious things I post on Facebook.
    Yes, like when a spider dropped onto your face

  19. #44
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    1,978

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by a big house View Post
    Yes, like when a spider dropped onto your face
    I'd rather not relive that one.
    My father remains convinced it was some other sort of insect, just to pull my chain. It wasn't a large spider, though. About the size of like, an eyelash. It was dangling from my bloody glasses though. Horrifying, that was.
    "Did somebody say 'vodka?'"
    signature imagesignature image

  20. #45
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    550

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BridgetFisher View Post
    Well pretty sure at this point with the sales slump sadly for microsoft this may be part of that old fashioned throw EVERYTHING at the wall and hope something sticks, or in this case moves some console units kind of a thing? Their kinda desperate at this point to catch up to the other consoles. Luckily they got that moneh to back it up so cant fault them for trying.
    I was afraid this happen would when Xbox starting selling poorly. I was just hoping it wouldn't be Tomb Raider, Resident Evil or Mass Effect. One down..

  21. #46
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    1,978

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Leon S. Kennedy View Post
    I was afraid this happen would when Xbox starting selling poorly. I was just hoping it wouldn't be Tomb Raider, Resident Evil or Mass Effect. One down..
    You know, Mass Effect was only available on the Xbox 360 for a year before being ported to PC and five years before being ported to the PS3.
    "Did somebody say 'vodka?'"
    signature imagesignature image

  22. #47
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    550

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Valenka View Post
    You know, Mass Effect was only available on the Xbox 360 for a year before being ported to PC and five years beforfe being ported to the PS3.
    I know that is what makes it a prime candidate for Xbox to try to make exclusive. EA has tons of money though so they have no incentive to make such a deal though. Capcom is a another mismanaged Japanese company just like SE so who knows about RE.

  23. #48
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    1,978

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Leon S. Kennedy View Post
    I know that is what makes it a prime candidate for Xbox to try to make exclusive. EA has tons of money though so they have no incentive to make such a deal though. Capcom is a another mismanaged Japanese company just like SE so who knows about RE.
    Well, considering that they never tried with Mass Effect 2 and 3 and the fact that we know nothing about the potential new IP from the ME franchise, I think it's safe to cast that concern aside for now.
    "Did somebody say 'vodka?'"
    signature imagesignature image

  24. #49
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    856

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Valenka View Post
    You know, Mass Effect was only available on the Xbox 360 for a year before being ported to PC and five years before being ported to the PS3.
    You act as though going from exclusive to multiplat is a bad thing. Do you hear Playstation fans complaining that MGS is now multiplat and will be on Xbox One and PC? Going from exclusive to multiplat gains new fans as i'm sure both Mass Effect did and MGS V will. Going from multiplat to exclusive is giving the middle finger to everyone who happened to support the franchise on the "wrong" platform.

  25. #50
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    45

    Default

    Yeah, even though I would have been annoyed still they really should have just said 'First on XBOX'.

    Instead they made it seem that Lara had said goodbye to her history with PC and PlayStation, which is just wrong. She was born there and should continue on there long as those platforms exist.

    It will be interesting to hear what they say next on when she'll be appearing on PC/Playstation after Osiris releases.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •