View Poll Results: Do you miss cheat codes?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

5 55.56%
  • No

3 33.33%
  • Undecided

1 11.11%

Thread: Do you miss cheat codes?

Default Do you miss cheat codes?

Back when I first started gaming, they were in every game. Stuck in Doom? No problem: IDKFA. STILL stuck? Well, IDDQD. Then came the Game Genie, Gameshark, and eventually code options within menus of games. Nowadays not so much. There are those that say "You're not really a gamer if you use cheat codes" and I say "To each their own". They do seem to be something of a relic in the history of this industry/entertainment genre.

Simple enough question: Do you miss them, and why or why not?

Merely a curiosity poll, nothing more, nothing less.
    wintervoices.blogspot.com
    signature image

Yes. Mashing a code into my PS2 controller just to spawn a VTOL in GTA: SA was a beautiful thing.

Since I am and have mostly been a comp gamer cheat codes havent applied most of the time. However I have not been against using a few cheat programs to speed Lara on her journeys. Programs I found through other famous Tombraider sites. So I guess If such things were not available I would miss them greatly.

I only once found a cheat code useful, which was to get me past a bug in a game. Other than that, I never used them.

So no, I don't miss them at all.

I don't like my games to be too easy.
    signature image

Yes. They are fun as hell to mess around with.

Some games still have them, however. I can think of a few such as every Assassin's Creed game since III, the Grand Theft Auto series, Red Dead Redemption, and the Mercenaries series.

My favorite cheat code ever was for Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb for the original Xbox:

Invincibility and Unlimited Ammo

On the "New Game" and "Load Game" screen, hold L + R and press UP, UP, DOWN, UP, A, X, A, B, UP, DOWN, Y, START.

And of course, a classic:

signature image

I miss them - some could be quite fun. Games are to be enjoyed after all.

@ ZooBoy

I try that at the main menu of every game I play just to see if anything happens.
    wintervoices.blogspot.com
    signature image

I always remember up, down, left, right, A, start from Sonic 1. It was really good to help in that game as when you lost all your lives it was back to the start and a long while to get back. These days games have save files and checkpoints every two minutes so maybe it's not as important or could just be that the complexity of the game making codes make it more difficult to have those in.
    signature image

You know, I've been thinking. A lot of games still use console commands, which is pretty much the same thing.

I've certainly used Debug Mode on Neverwinter Nights 2 a fair amount, and a few times on Dragon Age: Origins to sort out bugs.

Not sure I'd miss them if they were gone, but they can be very useful in dealing with bugs (And, in NWN2, changing the party size!).
    signature image

I remember way back in the day I was a member of Nintendo Club and used to phone their hotline for cheat codes. How to fight as Eyedol in Killer Instinct on Snes etc.. Man I miss those types of codes and games that had them.