Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Start an online storm to make it available for ALL to play

Post Start an online storm to make it available for ALL to play

I was 7 years old when the first tomb raider came out. I played it at friends' houses because I did not or could not afford a good enough PC to play the game. After years of begging my father bought a console for me and my 2 brothers. It just so happened to be a playstation. Finally I could play Tomb Raider. Then the next consoles came, but unfortunately we were not able to switch. So again I rented the game and played at friends' house. I am 25 years now and make an OK salary. two years ago I saved up enough money to buy a new console. After thinking long I decided on the PS3.

I have been a fan since the first game. Being mesmerised by the adventure. I do not have the luxury to buy a Console just for one specific game. At this stage if I had to buy either the PS4 or Xbox One it would be more than half my salary. I think you as much (if not more) Tomb Raider fans on the Playstation console than Xbox. This is extremely unfair to the fans who supported you loyally over the years. Some even from the start.

It is my personnel belief that this is mostly about money for Microsoft as, lets face it, the PS4 has and still is outselling the Xbox. I believe they saw how great the new Tomb Raider was and is doing. So getting exclisive rights... need I say more.
    I don't care for that console war. I care for the game I fell in love with at age 7 and after years (even when there were a few games that weren't all good) I am still a loyal fan.

I truly hope there will be enough support from Playstation and PC user that you will reconsider and make this great game available for all to play. I really hope so. After seeing the trailer for the new game I could barely contain my excitement.
    Now I feel like a child who has just learned that Santa does not exist.

Just found a link to an online petition. Please go and sign.
    https://www.change.org/petitions/squ...-on-xbox-one-2
    Last edited by Stefanvdm1389; 08-13-2014 at 12:18 AM. Reason: to include to the link to the online petition for a multi platform release

I wholeheartedly agree with your sentiments and there are several threads with the exact same feelings.

I have to ask however, have you been away? There has been a firestorm since the condescending and flippant announcement from CD. Many are disappointed and posted here...MANY MANY more have posted elsewhere. Just do a google search and you'll see it. Join the fires.

Quote Originally Posted by Deltoran View Post
    I wholeheartedly agree with your sentiments and there are several threads with the exact same feelings.

I have to ask however, have you been away? There has been a firestorm since the condescending and flippant announcement from CD. Many are disappointed and posted here...MANY MANY more have posted elsewhere. Just do a google search and you'll see it. Join the fires.
    Thanks. I only heard the news today. And acted immediately.

Thank you for your reply

Default My two cents worth

Having been an avid supporter of the Tomb Raider series since its inception in 1996, I am extremely frustrated at learning that the latest release in the series, Tomb Raider: Rise of the Tomb Raider, will be an Xbox One exclusive.

Over the past 18 years, I have spent countless hours adventuring with Lara, from her start on the original PSOne up and to her latest outing on the PS3. I have purchased every single game – from the very first Tomb Raider, to bonus releases like Tomb Raider: The Golden Mask.

I have watched in wonder as Lara’s story unfolds, joining her in exploring amazing locales and taking in the sense of adventure that has become a staple of the series.

Lara has always been my favourite video game character – I have supported her and the series during darker times (with reference to Angel of Darkness), and have shared in the excitement of fellow fans during the reboot and the amazing games that followed.

I am not posting this due to a desire to partake in any console wars. Tomb Raider has always been a multi-platform series, and I have journeyed with Lara on everything from a PSOne to PC to Nintendo DS. The support for various platforms is what has always made Lara and her amazing adventures accessible to her millions of fans, regardless of which platform they were gaming on.

With that being said, I have to state both my disbelief and utter disappointment at the fact that I will not be able to join Lara on her next adventure. I own a PlayStation – the console on which Lara started her journey, and the console on which she has now ended it, for not only me, but thousands of other gamers as well.

I implore Crystal Dynamics to reconsider their decision regarding the exclusivity of this title. I am not only unable, but also completely unwilling to purchase an entirely new console to support only one game. I believe that by keeping the latest game in the series an Xbox One exclusive, Crystal Dynamics are not only depriving us of the opportunity to continue our journey with Lara to see where her story leads, but in doing so they are also alienating an extremely large portion of the Tomb Raider fan base.

I will continue to support Lara’s existing adventures, however I will actively avoid any future releases and titles from Crystal Dynamics should Rise of the Tomb Raider be kept an exclusive.

I trust that the outrage sparked by Crystal Dynamic’s decision, as well as the multitude of online petitions that are currently being hosted, will persuade them to reassess the matter, and will lead to a resolution which will be beneficial not only to their company, but the people who matter most: Lara’s fans.

Quote Originally Posted by juanb88 View Post
    With that being said, I have to state both my disbelief and utter disappointment at the fact that I will not be able to join Lara on her next adventure. I own a PlayStation – the console on which Lara started her journey, and the console on which she has now ended it, for not only me, but thousands of other gamers as well.
    We are going to get the chance to play it but it's still annoying that people will only be able to give a gift of 'I will buy it for you when it comes out'. I would say that Sega Saturn was actually TR's launch platform but is true that PS/PC have been the main consoles in building the series and that makes it seem more odd them choosing Xbox

While your feelings are valid your points are not. It WILL be coming to PS4/PC. I agree with the sentiment but a petition will not change anything. They already know they created a storm and the decision will not be reversed, so a petition is pointless.
    Last edited by Tecstar70; 08-19-2014 at 12:13 PM.
    Gamersrespawn 21+ Gaming Community Fun Play Enjoy Respect
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by Tecstar70 View Post
    While your feelings are valid your points are not. It WILL be coming to PS4/PC IMO.
    You can't state this as if it were a fact and then turn around and say "IMO."

"Did somebody say 'vodka?'"
    signature imagesignature image

Quote Originally Posted by Valenka View Post
    You can't state this as if it were a fact and then turn around and say "IMO."

ok fair point. changed. I'll tie my flag to the mast!
    signature image

There has been a storm over this and I think our push back at least contributed to Phil Spencer saying the deal had a duration. Why Square even agreed to such a thing is beyond me, did they just assume everyone with a PS4 would buy Uncharted 4 next holiday season? They know we're pissed off and they need to make it right because we were all looking forward to the game
    Now I have to wonder if I will ever get to play it. Thanks alot Square/Crystal/Microsoft you really killed my hype for Lara's Next adventure.

Quote Originally Posted by Murphdawg1 View Post
    There has been a storm over this and I think our push back at least contributed to Phil Spencer saying the deal had a duration. Why Square even agreed to such a thing is beyond me, did they just assume everyone with a PS4 would buy Uncharted 4 next holiday season? They know we're pissed off and they need to make it right because we were all looking forward to the game
    Now I have to wonder if I will ever get to play it. Thanks alot Square/Crystal/Microsoft you really killed my hype for Lara's Next adventure.
    That is a solid assumption, but I was planning to buy both and now another game will get my money.

Quote Originally Posted by Leon S. Kennedy View Post
    That is a solid assumption, but I was planning to buy both and now another game will get my money.
    I think ROTTR still would have sold well on PS4 even with Uncharted 4 being out.

I think ROTTR still would have sold well on PS4 even with Uncharted 4 being out.
    It would have. I just said that I was planning to buy both and think many PlayStation owners were. Uncharted would have definitely outsold it though...now the the sales comparison between the two will be an absolute joke. Especially with ROTTR being a cross-gen game and Uncharted 4 most likely setting a new standard for console graphics.

Its upsetting how only some people in the Tomb Raider community globally are allowed to play the next Tomb Raider game. I feel that the console specialization will destroy that community which is very sad to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by BridgetFisher View Post
    Its upsetting how only some people in the Tomb Raider community globally are allowed to play the next Tomb Raider game. I feel that the console specialization will destroy that community which is very sad to think about.
    Its upsetting how only some people in the Tomb Raider community globally are allowed to play the next Tomb Raider game ahead of everyone else.

signature image

a petition will not change anything. They already know they created a storm and the decision will not be reversed, so a petition is pointless.
    From the petition author herself:
    Quote Originally Posted by Stella lune
    Sincere thanks to the more than 5,000 fans who have signed on today! Others have been reluctant to sign, saying it will do no good since the deal has already been finalized. We realize that our request will not change whatever legal agreements Square Enix and Crystal Dynamics have made with Microsoft, but we hope that by showing clear support for broader release, we will encourage the developers to reconsider such exclusive arrangements going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by a big house View Post
    From the petition author herself:
    Fair do's. I'm not sure it will change that either but at least a shout has been raised.
    signature image

Fair do's. I'm not sure it will change that either but at least a shout has been raised.
    The only thing that is for sure not going to change anything, now or in the future, is being quiet.

Assuming nothing will change and taking no action doesn't get anything changed any better than signing the petition. You'll never know unless you try and that's what a lot of things in life boil down to. Sitting around isn't gonna get you anywhere...
    signature image
    https://twitter.com/damiandee1230

There has been a storm over this and I think our push back at least contributed to Phil Spencer saying the deal had a duration. Why Square even agreed to such a thing is beyond me, did they just assume everyone with a PS4 would buy Uncharted 4 next holiday season?
    It's almost like CD want to lose the TR vs Uncharted battle. Before we had a great chance of competing and now our series is going to look stupid in comparison. The potential audience of TR and Uncharted are very similar so if Uncharted draws people who like this sort of adventure game towards PS4 then that's where CD should focus.

The really embarrassing thing PR wise is Microsoft have seen the reaction and responded quickly including a very insightful interview. CD themselves still have not cleared up anything about if/when there will be PC/PS4/PS3 versions or explained things any more since that dreadfully written statement. When they were making the announcement they have to have known these questions would be asked straight away. We need to keep making our objection to this and future console exclusivity deals clear so they can't just pretend that the fans are totally fine with it.
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by Error96 View Post
    It's almost like CD want to lose the TR vs Uncharted battle. Before we had a great chance of competing and now our series is going to look stupid in comparison. The potential audience of TR and Uncharted are very similar so if Uncharted draws people who like this sort of adventure game towards PS4 then that's where CD should focus.

The really embarrassing thing PR wise is Microsoft have seen the reaction and responded quickly including a very insightful interview. CD themselves still have not cleared up anything about if/when there will be PC/PS4/PS3 versions or explained things any more since that dreadfully written statement. When they were making the announcement they have to have known these questions would be asked straight away. We need to keep making our objection to this and future console exclusivity deals clear so they can't just pretend that the fans are totally fine with it.
    Agreed, if they truly believed in what they were creating then make it available for all platforms at the same time. Yes Uncharted is probably the Sony flagship franchise right now but the Tomb Raider reboot did sell more copies on PS3 than it did the Xbox 360 and Tomb Raider Definitive Edition on PS4 crushed the Xbox One in sales. I know I would have picked up RoTTR before Uncharted 4 simply because I played TR2013 and I have never played any of the Uncharted games.

And yeah Crystal Dynamics PR response was a total nightmare, whoever wrote that garbage should be fired I mean really you're going to tell 2/3 of the fanbase that you aren't walking away from them and then offer them a spin off game and the remastered version of TR2013? What a slap in the face to the fans and it's like "Well we're giving the Xbox guys Prime Rib but I guess you PC and Playstation gamers can have a ham sandwich." Sorry Square/Crystal but it just isn't the same.

Yes Uncharted is probably the Sony flagship franchise right now but the Tomb Raider reboot did sell more copies on PS3 than it did the Xbox 360 and Tomb Raider Definitive Edition on PS4 crushed the Xbox One in sales.
    And here you may have defined MS very reason for going for this deal. If too many people hadn't bought TR: DE for the PS4 this wouldn't have happened!!
    signature image

And here you may have defined MS very reason for going for this deal. If too many people hadn't bought TR: DE for the PS4 this wouldn't have happened!!
    It's because M$ is "skeered outta their wits", and made a move in desperation...a move that will likely cost them and SE/CD/Eidos even more.

Speaking only for myself, if I want the game bad enough, I can wait out the exclusivity deal. 2 months? 6 months? Fine. I can wait, as I am not a fan of anything.

But I do know that that is going to seem like an eternity for the majority of TR gamers/fans who have been looking forward to the release of RotTR...especially those who have no inclination of buying an Xbone because of the othe PR frak ups that M$ made before the Xbone's release....not to mention that both consoles are very expensive, and they might only have enough disposable income to spend on one or the other. The majority have cast their lot with PS4, and with good reason.

M$ is doing this for one reason alone.....to make up for all the ground they lost in the days leading up to/following the release of PS4 and Xbox One. And they're going about it as poorly as ever.

Personal opinions, only.
    Shanghai! Hong Kong! Egg Fu Yung! Fortune cookie always wrong!

The game should be available for all the 3 main platforms PS4, Xbox one and PC as they all have large TR fan support. Microsoft look to be trying an experiment to try and beat Uncharted but it will end up being Crystal who take all the fall for it when the sales aren't great and the fan reaction worse.
    signature image

That's a cool image, Gameboys.
    I've seen some....rather...interesting ones on deviantart that decry the limited exclusivity deal...and....well....they are interesting.

While I do not support the idea of the limited exclusivity of this game (especially to Xbone), and I refuse to support Xbone PERIOD....I will say that it is not beyond the realm of possibiity that RotTR could be a runaway hit for that system...for the limited exclusivity duration.....but....I also get the sense that if it bombs on Xbone, then the ill reviews and sales will simply kill it when it releases to the other major platforms. The game stands a much better chance of reeling in enough moolah to warrant another follow up title, even if it reviews poorly, by simultaneously releasing on all the major platforms (PS3/4, PC, Xbone) than it does by releasing as a limited exclusive to Xbone.

And I agree with another poster in another thread....when RotTR finally does release to the other systems, it needs to be a Definitive Edition that runs at 1080p/30-60fps and includes any and all DLC that may have been released for the Xbone version, ....especially since it is likely only running at 720p/30fps on Xbone.
    Last edited by Lord Martok; 08-24-2014 at 09:12 AM.
    Shanghai! Hong Kong! Egg Fu Yung! Fortune cookie always wrong!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast