Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 4 great instinct mode ideas! for hm6

The funny thing about the Instinct Mode in Absolution is, that it has almost nothting to do with any sort of instincts.

Comprehensible instincts would be:

Taking the measure of someone if he suspects me. (already implemented)

Dodging melee attacks (already implemented)

Something attracts attention, that doesn't fit in the current situation.

Something attracts attention, that could be a useful item (already implemented)

Knowing where the target is by concluding, that the number of guards is higher or the security system is more advanced in a speacial area.

Noticing bumps in clothing which lets you know that this person has a weapon (but shouldn't have one)

Body lenguage and physique: Knowing, that a hot dog salesman (for example) with crewcut and muscularity could be an enemy in disguise.

Drawing your own conclusions from the behaviour of people. For example: Indicators of alcohoism, hetero/homosexuality, wealth, military training etc.

If they implement things like that, so that your instinct helps you to have some advantages acomplishing the mission, I would appreciate that.

But if they use the instinct mode to give us supernatural abilities, they can keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by Buscar88 View Post
    The funny thing about the Instinct Mode in Absolution is, that it has almost nothting to do with any sort of instincts.

Comprehensible instincts would be:

Taking the measure of someone if he suspects me. (already implemented)

Dodging melee attacks (already implemented)

Something attracts attention, that doesn't fit in the current situation.

Something attracts attention, that could be a useful item (already implemented)

Knowing where the target is by concluding, that the number of guards is higher or the security system is more advanced in a speacial area.

Noticing bumps in clothing which lets you know that this person has a weapon (but shouldn't have one)

Body lenguage and physique: Knowing, that a hot dog salesman (for example) with crewcut and muscularity could be an enemy in disguise.

Drawing your own conclusions from the behaviour of people. For example: Indicators of alcohoism, hetero/homosexuality, wealth, military training etc.

If they implement things like that, so that your instinct helps you to have some advantages acomplishing the mission, I would appreciate that.

But if they use the instinct mode to give us supernatural abilities, they can keep it.
    But...but what about seeing through walls?
    >ICARUS FOUND YOU!!!
    >>RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!

Seeing through walls had nothing to do with supernatural abilities.

As with the map, you can also make the argument that 47 was being assisted by God himself, getting information about everyone in the building.

Seeing through walls had nothing to do with supernatural abilities. It's basically a short range 3 dimensional map displayed concurrently with gameplay.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent_69 View Post
    Seeing through walls had nothing to do with supernatural abilities.

As with the map, you can also make the argument that 47 was being assisted by God himself, getting information about everyone in the building.

Seeing through walls had nothing to do with supernatural abilities. It's basically a short range 3 dimensional map displayed concurrently with gameplay.
    I think the main difference between these two features is, that the all knowing map is a classical hitman feature while the wall hack instinct isn't.

In addition, the map feature gave you the possibility to create a strategy how to proceed. The game paused and you had time to think and to orient yourself.
    The instinct mode, on the other hand, forces you to take direct action, maybe to achieve a faster gameplay experience.
    But 47 is a calm guy, thats why it feels out of place.

Quote Originally Posted by Buscar88 View Post
    In addition, the map feature gave you the possibility to create a strategy how to proceed. The game paused and you had time to think and to orient yourself.
    Game isn't paused when you look at map. It was paused only in Hitman 1.

I think the developers should really be looking at more subtle methods of informing the player of enemies whereabouts and the effectiveness of a disguise. Here are the main issues I have and a few suggestions for fixes.

1. The idea of instinct isn't particularly innovative (the concept is in every second stealth related game released nowadays) and, personally, reduces some of the suspense of never knowing whether you're safe.

2. The player becomes overly reliant on it. And while you might say it can be ignored, 99% of players will use it, because it does make the game easier (I used it heaps more than was necessary), and that has to be the assumed play style from the developers perspective.

3.The arbitrary limitations on its use to improve disguises. I can see that the developers were really trying to get away from the simplicity of the suspicion meter, but having an orange bar tell the player whether or not they can remain undetected isn't much better. Is 47 really using that much energy maintaining a frown he can't lower his hat and turn his head one more time?

And here's some possible improvements.

1. The hitman series is one of the most innovative out there, and that's why I can't stand something as unoriginal as instinct. I think the best way to fix it is just to go back to how you would imagine the perfect killer would interpret his surroundings, just with more subtlety. Distinctive body language to show the player how an NPC feels eg. slightly suspicious=quick glances, look away if 47 looks back, or very suspicious=staring, whispering to others while looking in 47's direction, notifying police of concerns.

2.Use audio to inform, eg. footsteps are loud, especially in restricted areas, showing 47's focus on their sound, and also providing a direction from which an NPC will approach. Perhaps a map, not one that shows NPC's, but elements of the environment that 47 has made a mental note of eg. fall hazards, useful items, memorised patterns in guard or target movement, things an assassin would undoubtably memorise.

In implementing similar ideas, 47's instincts become less of a gameplay element to ignore or overuse but embedded in the gameplay, always working behind the scenes to give the player a slight edge, just as they would in reality, which, regardless of what it ends up being in Hitman 6, should always be the strongest influence on the continued development of the instinct mechanic.
    Last edited by syncredulousitiness; 10-31-2014 at 10:49 PM.

Good ideas syncredulousitiness
    I also recommended something like in the Last of Us. WHere when you focus you can pick up audio clues around you, shown as little soundwaves. This would work pretty well I think, since you won't know who or what is there only that something is making a sound. But I think the best and main focus should be on your second point: 'NPC Behaviour'. It will always be a better game if NPC's are interesting. That they react and look at you with suspision. Absolution did it pretty well, granted it was a bit too obvious at times: "I think...I know him"
    But it was a step in the right direction I guess. Maybe some should tailgate you, look the other way etc like you said.
    But in my honest opinion, giving it more thought, the best experience I had with hitman was the lack of 'modern' mechanics. Humans will always find it hard to cope with change, I'm no exception. On the one hand I understand the devs trying to appeal to the 'modern' audience, that need some kind of trait like instinct. On the other, I like it clean and old school. KISS method.
    Then again I loved TLOU, so just make a good game IO

Quote Originally Posted by IamRahx View Post
    It will always be a better game if NPC's are interesting. That they react and look at you with suspision. Absolution did it pretty well, granted it was a bit too obvious at times: "I think...I know him...
    I think the NPC's in Blood Money were better. Pretty much everybody in Blood Money would glance at you like they've seen you somewhere before. I think it added a sense of paranoia.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent_69 View Post
    ... I think it added a sense of paranoia.
    Lol true. Only that all npc's had that "hand to chin" motion when they are suspicious. Absolution was a bit more diverse. Only thing was that annoying yellow arrow that would give away who was becoming suspicious, instead of you having to pay attention. It's definately more tense if you are in a disguise and walk past a cop and not know how suspicious he is. Rather than the uninnovative yellow arrow.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12