Thread: Which hitman game is the best in your opinion? and why?

Default Which hitman game is the best in your opinion? and why?

???

My list:

1. Blood Money
    - The best gameplay and assassin simulator among all Hitman titles.
    - Surprising ending and ICA vs Other Agency scheme.
    - Atmosphere of conspiration.
    - Best music (ex aequo with the one from Silent Assassin)

2. Contracts
    - The best atmosphere ever!
    - Music
    - References to Codename 47

3. Codename 47
    - Wonderful, mysterious atmosphere, but weak AI

ex aequo Silent Assassin
    - Another reference to Codename 47

- The best music ever, but annoying and too smart AI
    - Religious threads (as flaw)

4. Absolution
    - Too much action, not much atmosphere
    - Weak and not himself 47
    - too many "move from A to B" without assassination missions and linear levels
    - Sometimes senseless collecting evidences (even old, blind tailor has evidences against ICA in his basement? Really?)
    - I didn't like characters and plot
    good attributes:
    - The best sound
    - The best graphic
    - The best shooting
    Don't get me wrong... it's surely good game, but in my opinion it's not the Hitman.
    Last edited by kewlak; 08-06-2014 at 05:26 AM.

This is a really difficult question to answer, but I'll try to make a list of some sort.

Shared 1st place: Silent Assassin, Contracts, Blood Money
    I can't really decide which one is the best. They are all awesome games, each having their own minor problems. To this date I still play all of them and own multiple copies of each one. Don't ask why, I don't even know myself. And I'm still considering about buying the HD collection xD

Silent Assassin has the best soundtrack as a whole in my opinion. It expands a lot from the style Codename 47 showed us and it also has beautiful and fun locations. The AI can be annoying occasionally (Hidden Valley I'm looking directly at you). The main villain, Sergei, feels like a real threat. This one holds the trophy of having most levels in the series and it includes everything from sniping, stealing and assassinating. It also introduced me to the series. Absolutely love it.

Contracts is the most atmospherical. It also has many of my favorite levels from the series; Traditions of the Trade, Lee Hong Assassination, Meat King's Party and Beldingford Manor. Contracts improved the disguise system from SA and the levels were all open and there were no transitional ones like in SA. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not; I disliked Hidden Valley and At the Gates, but on the other hand I did enjoy Graveyard Shift quite a lot. The soundtrack is also spectacular. Downside is that too big part of the missions are just remakes, which didn't really affect me since I played C47 after Blood Money. The main target is just a petty inspector and his part in the story wasn't really built up as much as Sergei's.

Blood Money improved the game very much mechanically. My friends who started with Blood Money had real trouble playing the older titles because of their outdated mechanics and the drastic change in difficulty. The disguise system is a tad too easy in my opinion. Also the infinite coin makes things a bit too easy. Soundtrack is again magnificent. I love Vegas and Apocalypse. However the locations and the feel of the game isn't as atmospherical as in SA and Contracts. That doesn't mean that Vintage Year, You Better Watch Out or A House of Cards weren't astounding locations and real fun to play. Gameplay-wise (apart from the disguises) a clear winner in the whole series, for introducing accident kills and many other little features. Leland is a good villain, but pales in comparison to Sergei.

4th place goes to Codename 47. It might be on par with the above if it had been the first Hitman I played, but playing it after Blood Money made it seem really outdated and that is inevitable. The mechanics were odd. You weren't given a rating, only a punishment for unnecessary kills. At this stage, being the first game, Hitman didn't really know what it wanted to be, but this did set direction for the latter ones. Traditions of the Trade, Lee Hong Assassination, awesomeness. I still go back to those. The soundtrack is great, but one step below the ones mentioned before. I absolutely love the main theme. The best story in the series and Ort-Meyer battles with Sergei for the spot of the best villain in the series.

5th place is left to Absolution. The game has the best mechanics by far in the series, but about everything else is just wrong with it. The AI and disguise system forces you to stay hidden in cover and sneak your way through much like in Splinter Cell -games. The plot is over the top and the game doesn't really depict 47 as a world class assassin, who is a cold killer and never fails. The main villains are a joke. Majority of the levels are linear. No manual saving. Forgettable soundtrack with no sense of uniqueness. Still a better game than the majority of today's games, but really stands no chance against its predecessors. It's just too popularized and made to please the public, even if it's still one of the hardest modern games out there. I have to admit that my opinion of the game is strongly influenced by the past four titles, from which it just differs too much. If it were its own, separate title, I probably would forgive/not even consider a lot of the complaints I have now and rate it a much better game. But it's Hitman, the latest title in my favourite game series and just pales in comparison. I'm sorry Absolution, you are the bastard son.

Blood Money. It made improvements over previous hitman games in every area.

Aybroe and I share the same view, though I will reiterate some things below. Pluses are positives of the game, minuses are the negatives of the game. Things in bold mean that the feature is the best in the series (only applies if the feature showed up in other titles).

1) Silent Assassin:

+Best disguise system
    +Best music/soundtrack
    +Most varied locations
    +Longest game
    +Respectable story
    +Loadouts before mission
    +Rewards for Silent Assassin
    +Great final mission
    +Cool 47 walking animation
    - AI is overly sensitive
    - Hidden Valley/At the Gates

2) **TIE** Blood Money:

+Best overall gameplay
    +Improved graphics
    +Hidden targets
    +Respectable story (albeit very weak, but I'll let it slide)
    +Customizable weapons/loadouts
    +Great final mission
    +Nailed the 'feel' of an assassin
    - Incredibly easy disguise system
    - Soundtrack loops often and becomes annoyingly repetitive
    - Most levels don't have ambient music
    - All missions are in civilian areas...no sense of urgency in a mission
    - No useful rewards for Silent Assassin (money can only buy so much)
    - Dogs count as witnesses
    - AI was somewhat frustrating (guards turn and look at you if you are near them)
    - No more strafing, only directional movement

2) **TIE** Contracts:

+Best atmosphere
    +Best AI
    +Very good story
    +Memorable missions (Meat King/Beldingford Manor)
    +Disguise system was OK, though a bit lenient
    +Soundtrack fit the mood
    +Remaster of C:47 missions were fresh
    - No loadouts before mission
    - Didn't improve visually over H2
    - Many bugs

3) Codename 47:

+Best story
    +Second best soundtrack (jungle theme and main theme are my favorites)
    +Very good atmosphere
    +Hilarious rag doll physics (one of the first games to use this tech too)
    - Glitchy
    - Successors improved every aspect of the original

4) Absolution:

+Best sound design/voice acting
    +Best graphics
    +Refined shooting mechanics
    +Point shooting solved the difficulty of nailing 2 or more headshots in a row
    - We all know the negatives...no point in bringing them up again.

If it wasn't for the ridiculous disguise system in Blood Money, it would've been my favorite Hitman game.
    Last edited by Adrian Shephard; 08-06-2014 at 07:06 PM.
    signature image

Blood Money was pure perfection based on level design. Its the only part which gave you the feeling of being a professional serial killer. No kids, no revenge, no rescue...just emotionless buisiness.

So if IO combines the graphics and the level of detail of Absolution with the level design and atmosphere of Blood Money, they will probably achieve to create the most awsome hitman of all the time and outdo theirselfes.

They are on the right track.

Quote Originally Posted by Buscar88 View Post
    Its the only part which gave you the feeling of being a professional serial killer.
    I agree with this.

So if IO combines the graphics and the level of detail of Absolution with the level design and atmosphere of Blood Money, they will probably achieve to create the most awsome hitman of all the time and outdo theirselfes.
    Wondering what atmosphere Blood Money had. Was pretty stale IMO. Maybe if there was more ambient music...
    signature image

Contracts

Hitman Blood Money- Soundtrack is EPIC!!!!!!! <-- (Jesper Kyd, you are the best)

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Shephard View Post

Wondering what atmosphere Blood Money had. Was pretty stale IMO. Maybe if there was more ambient music...
    Maybe "athmosphere" was the wrong word in this context. Kyd managed to give every mission its own speacial feeling, very recognizable.
    But yeah, in contrast to Absolution or Contracts with their dark/noir/serious atmosphere Blood Moneys mood was pretty neutral...kind of emotionless (like a professional killer. )

Quote Originally Posted by Buscar88 View Post
    Blood Moneys mood was pretty neutral...kind of emotionless (like a professional killer. )
    I agree, the calm in BM did lend to the 'feeling' of a professional killer, and that was good in its own respects. But I'm looking for more of a Contracts feel in H6...you know, dark, creepy missions like Meat King or Beldingford. That doesn't mean it has to rain every level like in Contracts (a bit overdone IMO, especially in Hong Kong).
    signature image

I agree, the calm in BM did lend to the 'feeling' of a professional killer, and that was good in its own respects. But I'm looking for more of a Contracts feel in H6...you know, dark, creepy missions like Meat King or Beldingford. That doesn't mean it has to rain every level like in Contracts (a bit overdone IMO, especially in Hong Kong).
    I also think that the rain was overly present in Contracts. I'd love a couple missions being dark, disturbed and moody like in Contracts, but I want to see beautiful locations and things done in broad daylight aswell. Something like the India missions were in H2 or Vintage Year in BM. The game doesn't need to be all dark to be atmospheric; Silent Assassin is a prime example of that. An epic and fitting soundtrack can work wonders.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I personally wouldn't want to see a "Contracts-feel" in H6, more like an SA-feel. As great as the atmosphere of Contracts is (best in series) it's also really depressing. Silent Assassin feel is just epic, you being the world-class assassin taking care of stuff all around the world. With the hungarian orchestra and choir in the background.

Quote Originally Posted by Aybroe View Post
    I also think that the rain was overly present in Contracts. I'd love a couple missions being dark, disturbed and moody like in Contracts, but I want to see beautiful locations and things done in broad daylight aswell. Something like the India missions were in H2 or Vintage Year in BM. The game doesn't need to be all dark to be atmospheric; Silent Assassin is a prime example of that. An epic and fitting soundtrack can work wonders.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I personally wouldn't want to see a "Contracts-feel" in H6, more like an SA-feel. As great as the atmosphere of Contracts is (best in series) it's also really depressing. Silent Assassin feel is just epic, you being the world-class assassin taking care of stuff all around the world. With the hungarian orchestra and choir in the background.
    Sure, SA did have an awesome feel to it (it is my favorite in the series after all), but I just can't get enough of the Contracts atmosphere. I suppose the darkness/rain isn't necessary to have dark characters though.

The soundtrack is one of the most important aspects of a Hitman game, and all of the atmosphere in SA came from Kyd's soundtrack. I'm not a big fan of the choir, though, and I think it was overused in BM...maybe because it didn't fit with the game world. I'm more of a orchestral guy, anyway.

The choir in Freedom Fighters (another Io-Interactive game that came out around the same time as SA and composed by Kyd) was simply outstanding. I'm pretty sure they are the same orchestra/choir used in H2, and the music would fit right into the Russia missions. This piece would play whenever the player completed a major objective. The full main theme (includes the piece I just linked) is also very nice. Such a great game that still doesn't have a sequel, though Kane & Lynch is supposedly a spiritual successor
    Last edited by Adrian Shephard; 08-09-2014 at 01:12 PM.
    signature image

Blood Money
    ● Best gameplay
    ● Most diverse locations

Contracts
    ● Best atmosphere (I hated the gloomy weather at first but it then grew on me. Really complimented the story and set the mood)
    ● Precise shooting (consoles, removed in Blood Money)

Silent Assassin
    ● Best disguise system
    (I don't understand why this game gets so much praise. The gameplay is dated, very buggy, the graphics and the music are mediocre, the levels aren't very exciting)

● Soundtrack: a toss up between Blood Money and Contracts. Both had their moments. In Blood Money there was this creepy electronic piece of choir children. The music just a had a more sexy vibe which I found refreshing. Contracts was all about being dark and seedy, but was a bit repetitive in that I often heard the middle eastern music from Silent Assassin. Anyway, both soundtracks were excellent and served different purposes.

●Story: In Hitman, when I think of story, I'm not only concerned with what goes on during the cutscenes, but also everything as a whole. Gameplay elements, combined with backgrounds about my targets and the backdrop to where I kill them, as well as the final resolution to it all (the ending). For this category I must go with Blood Money.

Contracts story was good, but it was pretty simple, with a short plot that was merely stretched out to appear long. The Hong Kong missions were a bit too long and they almost killed the mood for me and I think most of the missions were ordered incorrectly. The second to last chapter should've been Rotterdam followed by The Meat King's Party, which was without a doubt the most bizarre, dramatic level in the game and would've fit well for a climax, followed by Hunter and Hunted. Had this been the case, I'd be in favor of Contracts.

Blood Money... the cutscenes mostly involved 2 Face and the poindexter reporter but their conversations revealed a lot, as well as a brief cameo by Diana and her scene with 47 at the end, was pretty unexpected. The targets and their bios were a lot more colorful and more consistent in how they affected the mood for the game (Murder of Crows, A Dance With the Devil, Amendment XXIV...). It was just more eventful.

● Mood: Contracts!

Quote Originally Posted by Agent_69 View Post
    Blood Money
    ● Best gameplay
    ● Most diverse locations
    Most diverse locations? Most missions in BM are at high-end places or a party of some sort. The only exceptions are the the suburbs (New Life), the rehab facility (Flatline), and the tutorial (Death of a Showman) [EDIT: Forgot the last mission]...but the first two both have the low-key and mundane mood. Add to it that all are located in the US and that makes BM the game with the least amount of location variety in the series. Even Absolution had more variety, as you go from the hustle-bustle of Chinatown to the boring downtown Hope to a crazy munitions factory.

(I don't understand why this game gets so much praise. The gameplay is dated, very buggy, the graphics and the music are mediocre, the levels aren't very exciting)
    Gameplay and visuals are almost identical to Contracts. You are the first person I know to say the soundtrack is mediocre -- that is usually one of the highest praised parts of the game. Level locales take you to the most culturally different areas in the world. The idea of redemption and religion flowed well with the story of 47. The disguise system is a nice challenge and doesn't make the game incredibly easy. Compared to Contracts, H2 is not as buggy.

I think more people would've likes Contracts over H2 if it wasn't practically a remake of the first game.
    signature image

Most diverse locations? Most missions in BM are at high-end places or a party of some sort. The only exceptions are the the suburbs (New Life), the rehab facility (Flatline), and the tutorial (Death of a Showman) [EDIT: Forgot the last mission]...but the first two both have the low-key and mundane mood. Add to it that all are located in the US and that makes BM the game with the least amount of location variety in the series. Even Absolution had more variety, as you go from the hustle-bustle of Chinatown to the boring downtown Hope to a crazy munitions factory.
    When I say most diverse locations, I don't necessarily mean by geography. And not every mission in Blood Money was in the states, one was in South America, another was in Paris, and the ones that were in America were just so different from each other; you're on a cruise ship, then Mardis Gras, then a secret party in Las Vegas where everyone is dressed up. In BM most missions were in civilian settings and they were just more colorful and alive. Silent Assassin, the missions were a little more sparsed out geographically, but for the most part weren't very interesting levels and had a military/political aspect to them and they all felt the same, add to that the graphics were horrid and the NPC's weren't very life-like. I played this game for the first time just recently. That's probably why I wasn't as impressed.

Gameplay and visuals are almost identical to Contracts. You are the first person I know to say the soundtrack is mediocre -- that is usually one of the highest praised parts of the game. Level locales take you to the most culturally different areas in the world. The idea of redemption and religion flowed well with the story of 47. The disguise system is a nice challenge and doesn't make the game incredibly easy. Compared to Contracts, H2 is not as buggy.
    You're right. I didn't mean to say mediocre. But I read somewhere that you think Silent Assassin had the best soundtrack, or maybe it was someone else. Silent Assassin? Best soundtrack? Really? And it was more than one person. SA doesn't hold a candle to Contracts or Blood Money. I'm into electronic music so that may have something to do with it. Story-wise, I didn't have a problem with SA, just didn't think it was on par with the others.

I think more people would've likes Contracts over H2 if it wasn't practically a remake of the first game.
    I never played C:47. So I have a different perspective on Contracts.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent_69 View Post
    When I say most diverse locations, I don't necessarily mean by geography. And not every mission in Blood Money was in the states, one was in South America, another was in Paris, and the ones that were in America were just so different from each other; you're on a cruise ship, then Mardis Gras, then a secret party in Las Vegas where everyone is dressed up. In BM most missions were in civilian settings and they were just more colorful and alive. Silent Assassin, the missions were a little more sparsed out geographically, but for the most part weren't very interesting levels and had a military/political aspect to them and they all felt the same, add to that the graphics were horrid and the NPC's weren't very life-like. I played this game for the first time just recently. That's probably why I wasn't as impressed.
    Shoot. Completely forgot that 2 missions weren't in the US. My bad. I thought BM was so plain and not intense enough. I just wasn't pressured into completing a hit, you know? You start a mission and everyone is walking around all happily, so there's no sense of urgency. Don't really know how to explain it any other way. And yes, playing BM before the others does indeed hinder your enjoyment of the C:47, H2, and Contracts. I won't deny, though, that BM has the best gameplay (not counting disguise system obviously).

But I read somewhere that you think Silent Assassin had the best soundtrack, or maybe it was someone else. Silent Assassin? Best soundtrack? Really? And it was more than one person. SA doesn't hold a candle to Contracts or Blood Money. I'm into electronic music so that may have something to do with it.
    A great many people like the orchestral music in SA, it just felt epic. Electronic music like in C:47 is more up my alley too, but the rubberband sounding soundtrack in Contracts didn't really work for me. It was alright, but nothing special. I know I'm in the minority here, but BM soundtrack just sounded awful to me...especially the title theme. I hate choir based soundtracks -- except Freedom Fighters. Look at the previous posts to see who like the music in SA.

I never played C:47. So I have a different perspective on Contracts.
    Ah. Get your hands on the game somehow. Very good soundtrack and the Hong Kong missions that were remade aren't as good as the originals.
    signature image

My order will be:

1. Contracts
    2. Blood Money
    3. Codename 47
    4. Silent Assassin
    5. Absolution

I think Absolution was best hitman game.that has some bad things but that was best at all
    only absolution bad point was existing checkpoints

- Blood money (best controls, story, nice animations, wealth of customizable weapons, some good levels, great newspaper debriefing)

- 2 silent assassin (great atmosphere and levels such as the ninja castle, cool disguises, great music, more difficult)

- 3 Contacts (wonderfully dark atmosphere, good levels, nice improvements to silent assassin)

- Absolution (great visuals, but broken disguise system, nice gps map replaced with game breaking instincts vision, small levels with segments as you cannot go back through doors, magic pockets for increased unrealism and loss of tactics, lots of A-B levels with on the rails cutscenes instead of in game assassinations and level exits, horrible mass of points as scores covering the screen giving the game cheap arcade feeling, newspaper debriefing replaced with horrible score card, half the bad things only able to be removed by playing on purist difficulty)