Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Doctor Who Thread

There have been some great Companion leaving stories and some absolutely diabolical Companion leaving stories. Jo, for me, has one of the best, as it flows from who she is and really seems so very natural for the character.

BTW, if you can find it, watch Sarah Jane Adventures: Death Of The Doctor. Matt Smith's Doctor, Sarah Jane Smith & Jo Grant! Great story
    signature image

Kill The Moon.

That was a really odd one. I think I liked it, but I'm not entirely sure. Courtney was cool, Clara went all Emo and Danny was cool at the end.

Clara's squeaking when she actually had to make a decision for herself was a bit pathetic, I thought, honestly. It's like she needs the Doctor to be there to hold her hand at every moment. Sure, it was a massive decision, but I do see the Doctor's point in leaving it to the humans to make a decision that directly affects the humans. They didn't really need him to save them, after all.

Compare with Amy in The Beast Below, who has to make a very similar decision, but does so for herself, on her own initiative and without whining about it. She even works out the rationale correctly. In a 'spot the superior Companion' contest, Amy wins every time.

But then, I'm not seeing any sign at all of Clara's supposedly superior intelligence this season.

The acting all round was great as usual, and there was a lot to like, but I'm still somewhat underwhelmed, and I'm not wholly sure why.

Maybe because after all the build up and asking the audience to search their hearts and decide which button to press, they took the easy answer which then turned out to have no bad consequences... A too simple ending for a very complex problem.
    signature image

Well I've return. At the time of my leave I was gong through stuff. Plus the forums was not exciting to me anymore. I hope it's not the same now. XD

Quote Originally Posted by Elliot Kane View Post
    There have been some great Companion leaving stories and some absolutely diabolical Companion leaving stories. Jo, for me, has one of the best, as it flows from who she is and really seems so very natural for the character.

BTW, if you can find it, watch Sarah Jane Adventures: Death Of The Doctor. Matt Smith's Doctor, Sarah Jane Smith & Jo Grant! Great story
    I thought it was quite nice indeed, yes. I loved all the hints that she was leaving during "The Green Death", as I even picked up on them before I had the ending spoiled for me, so that was nice. I love The Doctor's line "So, the fledgling flies the coop." She showed that she had become he own independent woman. When The Doctor wanted to got to Metebelis III, she wouldn't have anything of it.

I also loved how The Brigadier challenged The Doctor, as you saw that although they are great friends, they do seem to get on each other's nerves at times (but The Doctor quickly establishes that Lethbridge-Stewart is in no way his boss: "Wouldn't like to have to order you, Doctor." "I wouldn't advise you to try.")

I also have only seen a clip of that episode on YouTube a while back, just went to go rewatch it, love the scene. It's when Eleven first meets Sarah Jane and Jo. Love Jo's reaction "I knew he could change his face, but into a baby's!?" And Eleven's response: "Oi, imagine it from my perspective! Last time I saw you, you were what, 21? 22? Looks like someone's baked you.)

Also, speaking of the SJA, I love this scene due to the Brigadier. One of my favorite lines of his, and showing how badass he is. (episode: Enemy of the Bane, 2008):

Major Kilburn: "With respect, Sir Alistair, UNIT has had to adapt to a more hostile universe."

Brigadier Sir Alistair Gordon Lethbridge-Stewart: "In my day we took on Daleks, Cybermen, Autons, Zygons, and all manner of space thuggery and it doesn't get more hostile than that!"

Also, today I finally start to continue watching Classic Who, as for the past week I have been interrupted by the Watch Dogs DLC (which was great). I'm on Pyramids of Mars, which I hear is excellent. And although I've only seen one of Tom Baker's stories (The Ark in Space), I think I like Pertwee more than Baker, although that has a lot to time to change, as more than half of the Classic Who episodes that Netflix has are from the Tom Baker era. That's not to say I don't like Baker, he's great (all of The Doctor's are, really).

As a sidenote: I am starting to write my own Doctor Who script. It's called "The Thirteen Doctors", so there's a little hint as to what it's about. I'll share it here whenever it is completed.
    signature image

Pyramids of Mars is really good, yes. Won't spoil, but I think you'll like it.

Was never keen on The Ark In Space. Baker has much better stories, IMO.

Definitely watch Genesis Of The Daleks when you get the chance.
    signature image

A too simple ending for a very complex problem.
    Exactly what I'd say about all the episodes so far this season...
    (Not including the Robin Hood one, I skipped that )

You missed the best one, IMO, ABH
    signature image

Well, Dark Water was very flattering. I'm a fan of yours, too, Mr Moffat!
    signature image

I've been getting into this series more and more as the episodes have flown by. As it has been improving for my liking

Really looking forward to next Saturday's episode, especially considering that
    XD

Just not a huge fan of Capaldi as the Doctor tbh, he's okay but if it wasn't for Clara then this series would be very difficult to get into because I think she's great.

At the end of the day I mostly blame Moffat's writing, because even when he took over when Matt Smith was acting, I had a hard time getting into it.
    Last edited by OliverY1992; 11-04-2014 at 12:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OliverY1992 View Post
    Just not a huge fan of Capaldi as the Doctor tbh, he's okay but if it wasn't for Clara then this series would be very difficult to get into because I think she's great.
    Whilst I agree that Clara is a good companion, I'd have to disagree about Capaldi.

As a Dr. Who fan of long standing (I've watched it since the beginning [in 1963]), it makes a very pleasant change to have a Doctor nearer my own age group rather than the children who have been Doctors recently.

Though don't get me wrong; I'd be hard pressed to pick a favourite from the twelve so far.

And, as I said earlier in this thread, the yardstick by which all Doctors are measured is usually the first one you saw - and my first Doctor was William Hartnell (an older Doctor).

Really looking forward to next Friday's episode . . . . .
    You get Dr. Who on a different day in Kent? I watch it on Saturdays in Berkshire.
    Ham and Eggs - a days work for the chicken, a lifetime commitment for the pig.
    signature image
    myspace.com/morestatgrav - Updated in Jul '09 with 10 new tracks.

Yes we do, Fridays are your Saturdays for us in Kent

I changed it XD

Wow, that's impressive. I did watch some of the first few episodes on Youtube in 2010 and if I'm honest I actually like William Hartnell.

The first Doctor I saw was actually Paul McGann in the movie, back when I was a kid. We (my family and I) have that on VHS in the loft somewhere, trouble is we no longer have a VHS player
    I liked him, but my favourite Doctor for me would be David Tennant XD

Don't get me wrong, Capaldi is a very good actor. But given his older age I would prefer it if he was very much like Hartnell was.

I also wish that all the missing episodes would make a comeback, thankfully they're finding many of them here and there. But still loads of them gone
    This is not a signature!

SO much I want them to find the missing eps! Especially Patrick Troughton's. He's one of my favourite Doctors, and the BBC managed to lose a huge chunk of his run

I have yet to see a bad Troughton story, which just makes it worse
    signature image

Yes we do, Fridays are your Saturdays for us in Kent

I changed it XD

. . . . . Capaldi is a very good actor. But given his older age I would prefer it if he was very much like Hartnell was.
    Oddly, I see quite a lot of the Hartnell Doctor in Capaldi's portrayal - along with several other Doctors influences.

Give him time, I think he may shape up to be an excellent Doctor before too long. So long as he gets good stories, that is.
    signature image

I'd agree with that Staticon.

For me, Peter & Jenna have done a great job this season, but they've had to carry some very weak stories. Some have been good, but a few too many didn't really click, for me.
    signature image

Well, I must say. I really enjoyed the two-part series finale.

Though I think that what made it for me was the mad, bad Missy.

I want more with her in.
    signature image

Yeh Missy is a fantastic character, I loved that Mary Poppins reference XD

I hope she's in the next series
    This is not a signature!

I thought it was rubbish. The Master Mistress' motivation made utterly no sense and neither did her plan.

My honest impression is that Moffat has confused Moriarty from Sherlock with The Master. He shows no understanding whatsoever of who The Master is or what his motivations are.

The idea that The Mistress would spend thousands of years building an army only to offer them to The Doctor - a man who could have ruled the Time Lords if he wanted! - because she wants to prove he's a bit like her is flat our unbelievable. This is someone who has devoted countless lifetimes to conquering the universe!

I'd also have liked some reason for why The Master is now The Mistress, even if it's just a flip 'the Time Lords thought I'd be easier to handle as a woman'.

Were there good moments? Absolutely. Peter & Jenna were superb as usual, and ably supported by the rest of the cast. But the story made no sense.

The season as a whole has been very patchy for me. Great acting throughout, but many of the stories have been weak or nonsensical. Peter & Jenna deserve better.
    signature image

I thought it was rubbish. The Master Mistress' motivation made utterly no sense and neither did her plan.
    I understand your view but, having seen the various incarnations of the Master over the years, many of his 'plans' have merely been a vehicle to build a plot around thus, this plan, while perhaps weaker than some of the other more recent plans, was, for me, perfectly understandable; as were the motivations which, I felt, were adequately explained during the course of this story.

The idea that The Mistress would spend thousands of years building an army only to offer them to The Doctor - a man who could have ruled the Time Lords if he wanted! - because she wants to prove he's a bit like her is flat our unbelievable. This is someone who has devoted countless lifetimes to conquering the universe!
    Thousands of years are but a fleeting moment to Timelords, thus it didn't take an unreasonable amount of time to execute.

Proving that they are alike would, the Master/Mistress knows, destroy the Doctor. He has always tried to do the right thing for humanity and aliens alike. He even held back from wiping out the Daleks back in Tom Bakers time.

I'd also have liked some reason for why The Master is now The Mistress, even if it's just a flip 'the Time Lords thought I'd be easier to handle as a woman'.
    With the exception of the Doctor choosing his 'War Doctor' persona, the change is usually out of their control - and there has always been the hint of a possibility that their gender could change with the regeneration.

I can't think of any specific examples but, I vaguely recall him telling a story to one of his companions about a Timelord male he once knew who had been female (or vice-versa) at some earlier time.

The season as a whole has been very patchy for me. Great acting throughout, but many of the stories have been weak or nonsensical. Peter & Jenna deserve better.
    I'd have to agree on the patchiness of the series as a whole - though I enjoyed most of them as character development episodes.

I sometimes feel that it is about time they brought back the old four or six part story format of old. It allows more detail over the span of the story rather than trying to cram it all in to one episode.

Still, it wouldn't do for us all to agree on everything. I respect your views and have enjoyed our discussions.

And still I am looking forward to my fifty-second year of Dr. Who viewing.
    signature image

Staticon,

I understand your view but, having seen the various incarnations of the Master over the years, many of his 'plans' have merely been a vehicle to build a plot around thus, this plan, while perhaps weaker than some of the other more recent plans, was, for me, perfectly understandable; as were the motivations which, I felt, were adequately explained during the course of this story.
    All of The Master's plans have been about world or universe domination, though. Sure, there are some bad Master stories, but he's pretty consistent in terms of motivation.

Thousands of years are but a fleeting moment to Timelords, thus it didn't take an unreasonable amount of time to execute.

Proving that they are alike would, the Master/Mistress knows, destroy the Doctor. He has always tried to do the right thing for humanity and aliens alike. He even held back from wiping out the Daleks back in Tom Bakers time.
    Wouldn't it just give him a rival, though? The Master helped The Doctor defeat The Valeyard because he did not want a Doctor around who was like him, remember?

With the exception of the Doctor choosing his 'War Doctor' persona, the change is usually out of their control - and there has always been the hint of a possibility that their gender could change with the regeneration.
    Your memory fails, I fear. Until Moffat took over as show runner, it was never even hinted at that gender changing might be possible.

In fact, Romana proved beyond doubt that there are very great differences in control level between Time Lords and Time Ladies, with Ladies able to control their new appearance. So we have specific gender based differences, in canon.

I can't think of any specific examples but, I vaguely recall him telling a story to one of his companions about a Timelord male he once knew who had been female (or vice-versa) at some earlier time.
    The Doctor's Wife. The Eleventh Doctor says that The Corsair always had the same tattoo, whichever gender he (Or she) happened to be at the time.

I'd have to agree on the patchiness of the series as a whole - though I enjoyed most of them as character development episodes.
    I thought Peter & Jenna were absolutely terrific from start to finish. The supporting cast was generally excellent, too.

I sometimes feel that it is about time they brought back the old four or six part story format of old. It allows more detail over the span of the story rather than trying to cram it all in to one episode.
    I agree with that. Some stories need more room to develop than others. It would allow more Companions, too, which I don't think would be bad.

Still, it wouldn't do for us all to agree on everything. I respect your views and have enjoyed our discussions.
    No two Whovians will ever agree on everything. Or, indeed, most things! All part of the fun

And still I am looking forward to my fifty-second year of Dr. Who viewing.
    Few years behind you, but may there be many more for us both

It's truly remarkable, but Doctor Who as a program just never grows stale, for me. Occasional dips or not, the program always regenerates itself in the end
    signature image

I want to comment on all of this so bad (including the Classic series now that I finished it on Netlfix), but I have no time! I'm gonna try to make time this weekend and make some HUGE, long, Whovian posts in this thread.
    signature image

Sounds good to me!
    signature image

All of The Master's plans have been about world or universe domination, though. Sure, there are some bad Master stories, but he's pretty consistent in terms of motivation.
    I'm absolutely positive that he has attempted to kill the Doctor on several occasions - as well as dominate the universe.

Wouldn't it just give him a rival, though? The Master helped The Doctor defeat The Valeyard because he did not want a Doctor around who was like him, remember?
    I had forgotten that specific action but I still maintain that by killing the Doctor, or by destroying his raison d'etre, he would still achieve the aim of not having a Doctor around who was like him.

Your memory fails, I fear.
    It happens with age.

I thought Peter & Jenna were absolutely terrific from start to finish. The supporting cast was generally excellent, too.
    Agreed.

No two Whovians will ever agree on everything. Or, indeed, most things! All part of the fun
    Diversity of opinion IS the spice of life.

Few years behind you, but may there be many more for us both
    Hear Hear!

It's truly remarkable, but Doctor Who as a program just never grows stale, for me. Occasional dips or not, the program always regenerates itself in the end
    You can say that again. There have been several occasions in the past when I only watched out of habit - then something changed and I was riveted to the TV again.
    signature image

Oh, The Master has definitely attempted to kill The Doctor. Quite frequently, in fact. Yet another reason why I don't really think 'You're Just Like Me!' works as a motivation for The Master. He wouldn't care. Anyone who opposes him is there to be crushed (Although a good side order of humiliation is never a bad thing! The Master enjoys a good gloat! ).

I just don't see The Master pining for his childhood friend.

(And yep, the more opinions the better! Especially with Whovians! )
    signature image

Possibly a slightly thin plot line - that is, if the Master was actually pining.

It could have been a cunning plan to wrong-foot the Doctor.

Maybe, a cunning plan suggested by Baldric.
    signature image

ROFL! Totally agree with that, yeah!
    signature image

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast