Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Doctor Who Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Elliot Kane View Post
    ...but no-one seems to have put any thought into creating a consistent personality for her character.
    Maybe she's meant to have split personalities. It exists, so why not?
    Also, I know Pink is meant to be the new companion for when Clara leaves, but did he really have to be a teacher too? I want a companion who was a hairdresser, that way he/she can go around judging all the alien hairstyles

Quote Originally Posted by a big house View Post
    Maybe she's meant to have split personalities. It exists, so why not?
    Well, that certainly would explain a lot!

Also, I know Pink is meant to be the new companion for when Clara leaves, but did he really have to be a teacher too? I want a companion who was a hairdresser, that way he/she can go around judging all the alien hairstyles
    I'm not sure he's 'for when she leaves' so much as 'the cause of her leaving'. I honestly can't see the BBC giving up on their formula of 'Doctor + Cute Girl' any time soon. Unless they start making more two episode stories again, they don't have space for many Companions at a time.

They've been crowbarred together so fast that at this rate they'll be engaged a couple of episodes from now
    signature image

Robot Of Sherwood is genius. If there's a better ep this season, I will be beyond shocked. I just loved everything about it. I can see myself re-watching that ep a lot.
    signature image

I loved it too. What is it and these space ships disguised as buildings?

Good question. That and the whole 'Promised Land' thing seem to be recurring themes for this season.
    signature image

Robot Of Sherwood is genius.
    I'll second that - or third it if someone beat me to it.

This new season is shaping up nicely.

And the next episode looks like it might be a chiller - hopefully, on a par with the stone angels.
    Ham and Eggs - a days work for the chicken, a lifetime commitment for the pig.
    signature image
    myspace.com/morestatgrav - Updated in Jul '09 with 10 new tracks.

Clara has never really been that forward. She certainly had feelings for Smith's Doctor, but never once did she put her foot down the way she did within five seconds of meeting Danny Pink. Compare with Oswin, who was most definitely a lot more forward (To Rory: "Now take off your shirt." "Why?" "Does there have to be a reason?").

It struck me as really jarring that last episode she was pining for Smith's Doctor, and now she's basically jumping on some guy she's only just met. It struck me as really out of character.

But then character changing personality on an almost weekly basis has been Clara's problem the whole time, unfortunately. Jenna's great, but no-one seems to have put any thought into creating a consistent personality for her character.
    Well technically, isn't Oswin really Clara? I mean, when Clara jumped into The Doctor's timestream in "The Name of the Doctor", didn't that imply that Oswin was actually Clara, just in a different time period (like the Victorian Clara Oswin Oswald)?

Robot Of Sherwood is genius. If there's a better ep this season, I will be beyond shocked. I just loved everything about it. I can see myself re-watching that ep a lot.
    Quite. This episode was amazing. Look down below for my mini-reviews of the last few episodes.

The whole 'Promised Land' thing seems to be a recurring theme for this season.
    I am very interested in seeing what this all means. A popular theory is that Missy (who may be a female Master) is raising an army against The Doctor entailing of people who have died either directly by him or because of him.

Quote Originally Posted by staticon View Post
    I'll second that - or third it if someone beat me to it.

This new season is shaping up nicely.

And the next episode looks like it might be a chiller - hopefully, on a par with the stone angels.
    Boy, was it! I love Moffat's "childhood fears" episodes, such as Blink, The Girl in the Fireplace, Silence in the Library, The Impossible Astronaut, The God Complex, and now, Listen.

Here are my reviews:

Into the Dalek

Good episode, although I don't think I like this Pink fella so far. Nice to see the Daleks return, and the line of The Doctor being a "good Dalek" was a nice callback to the Eccleston episode, "Dalek". Also loved the line "She's my carer; she cares so I don't have to."

7.5/10

Robot of Sherwood

Hilarious episode. I usually prefer darker episodes to lighthearted ones, but this episode had both me and my dad in stiches. The banter between Robin Hood and The Doctor was great, and I loved how The Doctor couldn't admit that he was wrong. This episode really showed off Capaldi's Doctor's personality quite a bit. Love how The Doctor kept getting annoyed from Robin's constant laughter, and how Clara was the true "hero" of the episode. Also nice how they again referenced The Doctor's superior swordfighting ability, and the bit about the miniscope was a funny callback to "Carnival of Monsters", a Pertwee episode.

7.5/10

Listen

Utterly fantastic episode. I absolutely adored the initial concept, and although it was a bit too "wink wink" with Clara and Orson's relationship (yes, we get that Orson is a great grandchild of Clara and Danny, and yes, we realize he will end up traveling in the TARDIS), that didn't hurt the episode one bit. The fact that they never revealed if there was truly an actual monster was great, and the throwback to "Day of the Doctor" was a nice touch. I quite liked seeing the twist of The Doctor as a kid, and although I know some people who don't like how Moffat keeps inserting Clara into important parts of The Doctor's history, I actually do, as that is the main point of Clara. Oh, and the speech about "fear being a companion" that was said by both The Doctor and Clara, and another throwback to the first Doctor Who episode, "An Unearthly Child" was another example of some brilliant writing. An almost perfect episode, but I will round up and give this a rating of:

10/10

I think it's safe to say after these few episodes that Capaldi is shaping up to be one of my favorite Doctors. Have yet to see a bad episode (or even a below average one!), and as you can tell by my ratings, they just keep getting better and better. Love Capaldi's somewhat rude and grumpy old man no-nonsense attitude. Reminds me a bit of Hartnell.

On a side note, if any of you have been wondering why I haven't been posting as much the past few weeks (besides the "Who Am I? Game" thread, Doctor Who is to blame. I have recently started to watch Classic Doctor Who on Netflix, and I am loving it. This is why Doctor Who is my favorite television show, because of over 50 years of extraordinary content. At first, I was a little wary of it being a bit outdated (I don't know why I thought that, as one of my favorite movies is "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington", a 1931 film), but boy, was I wrong. The show is exactly the same as it has always been, and I love it dearly. I am up to the Third Doctor, Jon Pertwee, and I have to say, he is an amazing Doctor. Unfortunately, not all of the stories are on Netlfix, but it's a good taste before I start buying the DVDs.

Also, since watching Classic Who, I have fully realized the scope of the show. Sunday afternoon I sat down to watch "Listen" with Peter Capaldi, when earlier in the day, I had just finished watching The Three Doctors, with all three Doctors who have passed away. That made me fully understand how long this show has been going on, and made me appreciate it even more.

P.S: The Brigadier is DEFINITLEY my favorite companion of the entire show's run. What a great guy. Also quite like Ian Chesterson, Zoe Heriot, Jamie McCrimmon, and Jo Grant.
    Last edited by The Zoo Boy; 11-18-2014 at 06:25 PM.
    signature image

I liked Listen, but I didn't love it. The ambiguity behind 'is there really a creature' was interesting, but I'm just not feeling the relationship between Danny and Clara that is so much a part of the episode. There's no real chemistry between the two, and the way they keep messing up every single conversation makes me wonder why they are even still talking. I like both characters, but I think they would be better served as friends than 'obvious and inevitable couple'. Danny seems more and more like a device to write Clara out of the show more than a character in his own right, which is a shame.

I like Listen despite its flaws, but I don't love it. Robot, for me, remains the best of the series so far.

On the older series - yes, some of them are really great. For the first four, each new Doctor is better than the last, which seems more and more impossible, but happens anyway. I love Troughton, Pertwee and Tom Baker - they are three of my four favourite Doctors (With Matt Smith sneaking in to my #2 spot), though in the reverse of that order.

You can't go wrong with any of those three, though. A lot of really good stories (OK, the odd stinker, too, but no Doctor has a completely perfect run. Well, Troughton may have, but because the BBC lost around 3/4 of his run, most of us may never know).
    signature image

I liked Listen, but I didn't love it. The ambiguity behind 'is there really a creature' was interesting, but I'm just not feeling the relationship between Danny and Clara that is so much a part of the episode. There's no real chemistry between the two, and the way they keep messing up every single conversation makes me wonder why they are even still talking. I like both characters, but I think they would be better served as friends than 'obvious and inevitable couple'. Danny seems more and more like a device to write Clara out of the show more than a character in his own right, which is a shame.

I like Listen despite its flaws, but I don't love it. Robot, for me, remains the best of the series so far.

On the older series - yes, some of them are really great. For the first four, each new Doctor is better than the last, which seems more and more impossible, but happens anyway. I love Troughton, Pertwee and Tom Baker - they are three of my four favourite Doctors (With Matt Smith sneaking in to my #2 spot), though in the reverse of that order.

You can't go wrong with any of those three, though. A lot of really good stories (OK, the odd stinker, too, but no Doctor has a completely perfect run. Well, Troughton may have, but because the BBC lost around 3/4 of his run, most of us may never know).
    Yeah, as I said, I didn't really like the parts of Clara and Danny (besides The Doctor's comments on Clara not wearing her makeup and having three mirrors, got a few nice chuckles out of that), but the fact that the rest of the episode was so good didn't drag it down for me. To each their own.

As for the older series, man you can say that again. I loved Hartnell, loved Troughton, and now, Pertwee is even better! Can't wait to see the rest!
    signature image

I saw a lot of them out of order originally, of course, but you can almost see the refining of the formula from Doctor to Doctor. Hartnell begins the slow evolution, but he's really too frail to carry the role to quite where it should be. Then Troughton takes over, and you can see the step forward. The same absent minded professor, but younger, more vigorous, and now he's the main star, where it was mostly about the Companions before.

Then Pertwee takes it up another notch, adding Hartnell's authority to Troughton's charm. He has a very real charisma that adds depth to therole - and UNIT as a permanent supporting cast. Then, just when you think Pertwee can't be surpassed, along comes Tom Baker who has Pertwee's charm, authority and charisma, but adds a definite alien quality we won't see again until Matt Smith.

(Have you reached Carnival Of Monsters, yet? Awesome, isn't it?)
    signature image

I saw a lot of them out of order originally, of course, but you can almost see the refining of the formula from Doctor to Doctor. Hartnell begins the slow evolution, but he's really too frail to carry the role to quite where it should be. Then Troughton takes over, and you can see the step forward. The same absent minded professor, but younger, more vigorous, and now he's the main star, where it was mostly about the Companions before.

Then Pertwee takes it up another notch, adding Hartnell's authority to Troughton's charm. He has a very real charisma that adds depth to therole - and UNIT as a permanent supporting cast. Then, just when you think Pertwee can't be surpassed, along comes Tom Baker who has Pertwee's charm, authority and charisma, but adds a definite alien quality we won't see again until Matt Smith.

(Have you reached Carnival Of Monsters, yet? Awesome, isn't it?)
    I quite agree with your statement that during Hartnell's tenure, it was mainly about the companions, but due to the fact that I loved Ian and Barbara (not so much Susan, though), I didn't mind. The Doctor was a side character of his own show.

And yes, I watched Carnival of Monsters last night. Great story, loved the Drashigs and the miniscope. Next to watch is "The Green Death", the final Pertwee story on Netflix.
    signature image

Green Death is great, too, though I won't spoil, obviously Carnival Of monsters is my favourite Pertwee ep, though, for many reasons.

You need to yell at Neflix to get the rest of Pertwee's run! There's at least one more season of Pertwee after Green Death, IIRC.
    signature image

Green Death is great, too, though I won't spoil, obviously Carnival Of monsters is my favourite Pertwee ep, though, for many reasons.

You need to yell at Neflix to get the rest of Pertwee's run! There's at least one more season of Pertwee after Green Death, IIRC.
    I really wonder why Netflix doesn't have all the episodes. And I love how physical Pertwee is in "Carnival", punching that guy to the ground.

EDIT: Sadly, I have JUST had part of "The Green Death" spoiled for me (I know that Jo leaves for Professor Jones and winds up with him).
    Last edited by The Zoo Boy; 09-17-2014 at 03:07 PM.
    signature image

Pertwee is very much 'the action Doctor'. He's always up for a fight.

The Green Death is still very good (Though it's a shame the ending was spoiled for you). Jo has one of the best Companion send-offs ever, IMO. Be interested to see if you agree
    signature image

Pertwee is very much 'the action Doctor'. He's always up for a fight.

The Green Death is still very good (Though it's a shame the ending was spoiled for you). Jo has one of the best Companion send-offs ever, IMO. Be interested to see if you agree
    I can agree with that! His physicality is a great aspect of his Doctor.

It's a shame; I was reading about Jo Grant after we had this whole discussion earlier, and then I accidentally read that "The Green Death" was her last episode, and that she ended up with a "Professor Jones" who I know now who he is since I started "The Green Death" (on episode 3).
    signature image

You'll really want to complain to Netflix when I tell you that the next season features the introduction of Sarah Jane Smith...
    signature image

You'll really want to complain to Netflix when I tell you that the next season features the introduction of Sarah Jane Smith...
    I assumed so, as I knew Sarah Jane was a companion of Pertwee, and I knew she was also a Tom Baker companion, so the time period fit.
    signature image

She has one of the best Companion intros. Sarah is independent right from the start

(In terms of Companion intros, not necessarily in terms of stories, if that makes sense. Sarah's reason for being there is one of the best)
    signature image

She has one of the best Companion intros. Sarah is independent right from the start

(In terms of Companion intros, not necessarily in terms of stories, if that makes sense. Sarah's reason for being there is one of the best)
    Ooh don't tease me! I wish I could see it! How'd you watch all the episodes, DVDs?
    signature image

Yep. I have all of Jon Pertwee's and Tom Baker's runs, plus all of Patrick Troughton's that the idiots at the BBC didn't manage to lose. and a scattering of others too, of course.

I will add to my collection in time, but I have the classic runs I am most interested in. Bar the discovery of more Troughton, of course.
    signature image

Yep. I have all of Jon Pertwee's and Tom Baker's runs, plus all of Patrick Troughton's that the idiots at the BBC didn't manage to lose. and a scattering of others too, of course.

I will add to my collection in time, but I have the classic runs I am most interested in. Bar the discovery of more Troughton, of course.
    Nice. You don't have the rest of the Doctors? I want to get ALL OF THE DVDS, but by my calculations, that would cost around $2500!!! Maybe one day...

I read that there is one more episode, Episode 2 of "The Underwater Menace" (a Patrick Troughton story), which was found in December 2011, and was been planned to be released on DVD in 2014. However, in June of this year, Steve Roberts, the project leader of the Doctor Who Restoration Team, said that there are no classic Doctor Who DVD releases currently planned: "From where we're standing, it's looking like the range is dead."

What a shame, as it'd be nice for that final episode that they found to be released. Don't know why they wouldn't release it.

Sidenote: They delayed the release of the "Time of the Doctor" action figure set (with a Peter Capaldi head!) from September 24 to some day in October!!! I am sad.

signature image

Let's just say that assembling the Doctor Who DVD collection I have was the work of years I have prioritised my favourite Doctors and with them fully collected I shall start to assemble the rest, if slowly. With the probable exception of the tele-movie which was an atrocity against good television
    signature image

Must say, Keeley Hawes was amazing in the new episode, that is all

Really enjoyed Time Heist. Lots of twists, turns, and unexpected moments, plus two interesting new supporting cast members. One of Capaldi's best so far, IMO.
    signature image

Let's just say that assembling the Doctor Who DVD collection I have was the work of years I have prioritised my favourite Doctors and with them fully collected I shall start to assemble the rest, if slowly. With the probable exception of the tele-movie which was an atrocity against good television
    My dad actually liked the TV movie. I myself haven't seen it yet.

In other news, now that I have finished watching the Third Doctor's episodes, I really miss Jon Pertwee. But I am looking forward to the Fourth Doctor, who many people say is the best: Tom Baker.

Also, Jo Grant's farewell scene was nice, although it did feel a little rushed. I did like all the hints they gave throughout the episode that she was leaving though.
    signature image

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast