Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Doctor Who Thread

Raiding tombs since 2007. deviantART tumblr | N7
    signature image

Speculation at this point, but we'll see come Xmas, I guess.

Less than a week to the new series, now... I feel the usual mixture of excitement and trepidation that accompanies any new Doctor...
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by Elliot Kane View Post
    Zoo,

I would love Oswin to meet Clara. Sadly, it seems unlikely. But given how many Claras there are, she's almost certain to meet herself at some point. I hope so, at least. What a waste if they don't!
    That would be quite an episode. Hilarity should ensue.

Quote Originally Posted by d1n0_xD View Post
    I quite like Clara, and I would wish she would stay longer, but I am also excited to see who the new companion will be. And I am very interested in seeing her relationship with Capaldi's Doctor.

Tonight's the night, everyone!!!

signature image

Interesting first ep for Peter Capaldi!

I liked it a lot, but I'm not sure why, if that makes any sense at all. Clara was adorable, which didn't hurt, and I like the interplay between her and the new Doctor. The Paternoster Gang are always a fun addition to any story. I'm not sure it quite came together, though, somehow. Maybe a few too any oddments, maybe it couldn't quite decide if it was a comedy or a drama. having huge elements of both. Overall, though, I think it just had a few too many threads.

Very impressed with Jenna's acting throughout. Definitely like the way they addressed the hanging tails of Clara's relationship with Smith's Doctor, even if Clara doesn't seem really able to admit to her very obvious feelings.

No idea yet if I like the Capaldi doctor, though. He hasn't really settled into his personality yet, so it's hard to say. I think we only really got a proper look at who he is in the last few minutes.

Still, promising...
    signature image

Interesting first ep for Peter Capaldi!

I liked it a lot, but I'm not sure why, if that makes any sense at all. Clara was adorable, which didn't hurt, and I like the interplay between her and the new Doctor. The Paternoster Gang are always a fun addition to any story. I'm not sure it quite came together, though, somehow. Maybe a few too any oddments, maybe it couldn't quite decide if it was a comedy or a drama. having huge elements of both. Overall, though, I think it just had a few too many threads.

Very impressed with Jenna's acting throughout. Definitely like the way they addressed the hanging tails of Clara's relationship with Smith's Doctor, even if Clara doesn't seem really able to admit to her very obvious feelings.

No idea yet if I like the Capaldi doctor, though. He hasn't really settled into his personality yet, so it's hard to say. I think we only really got a proper look at who he is in the last few minutes.

Still, promising...
    DINOSAURS!!!

I thought it was a great season premiere. Loved the return of the Clockwork Droids, and I especially loved how they referenced "The Girl in the Fireplace" quite a few times (the S.S. Madame de Pompadour's "sister ship", the S.S. Marie Antoinette.

Capaldi seems like he'll be a great Doctor, and like Smith's "Basically...run," from his first episode, I loved Capaldi 's speech to the lead repair droid about the lengths he will go to protect humanity. Great acting, and a great scene.

Also,

Overall, a good episode.

7/10

On a side note, I find the it fascinating how long Matt Smith was the Doctor. Tennant was ~900 when he regenerated, and Smith's farewell tour brought his age to 1100. By the time he reached Trenzalore, he was 1200, and the amount of time that Matt Smith spent on Trenzalore was 900 years, meaning Capaldi's Doctor was 2100 years old. To put that in perspective, that was 86 BC, the time of the Roman Republic. Julius Caesar was 14 years old.

Damn, The Doctor is old!!!
    Last edited by The Zoo Boy; 09-17-2014 at 01:16 AM.
    signature image

I thought they over-stressed the Girl In The Fireplace references, myself. Didn't need that many hints to clue the viewer in. It also seemed a bit like rehashing an old idea that had already been done better the first time.

I did like the ep, don't get me wrong, but I thought it was quite weak compared to the other New Who Doctor intro stories.
    signature image

I thought they over-stressed the Girl In The Fireplace references, myself. Didn't need that many hints to clue the viewer in. It also seemed a bit like rehashing an old idea that had already been done better the first time.

I did like the ep, don't get me wrong, but I thought it was quite weak compared to the other New Who Doctor intro stories.
    I agree in that I got they were Clockwork Repair Droids almost as soon as they were introduced, but I also just happen to like little "Easter Eggs" and references myself.

I'm curious, if you had to rate it on a 1-10 scale, what would you give it?
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by The Zoo Boy View Post
    I agree in that I got they were Clockwork Repair Droids almost as soon as they were introduced, but I also just happen to like little "Easter Eggs" and references myself.

I'm curious, if you had to rate it on a 1-10 scale, what would you give it?
    Good question...

Assuming 1-3 is terrible to bad, 4-6 is low to high average, 7-9 is good to great and 10 is perfect...

I'd probably give it a 7.

It's good, but I didn't love it.
    signature image

Capaladi's Doctor amazing, love that he's kinda all over the place, love his dialogue/monologue... Clara still annoying, although she had a few cool moments (holding her breath, and the ending when she accepts him). But still any dialogue between her and the Doctor seems cool because of the Doctor, not her. Even the Doctor said that he misses Amy

Anywasy, I really like Capaldi's Doctor :3
    Last edited by d1n0_xD; 08-24-2014 at 03:48 AM.
    signature image

Of course he misses Amy in situations where he needs a Companion with long legs! Clara's tiny!
    signature image

Good question...

Assuming 1-3 is terrible to bad, 4-6 is low to high average, 7-9 is good to great and 10 is perfect...

I'd probably give it a 7.

It's good, but I didn't love it.
    Fair enough.

Quote Originally Posted by d1n0_xD View Post
    Capaladi's Doctor amazing, love that he's kinda all over the place, love his dialogue/monologue... Clara still annoying, although she had a few cool moments (holding her breath, and the ending when she accepts him). But still any dialogue between her and the Doctor seems cool because of the Doctor, not her. Even the Doctor said that he misses Amy

Anywasy, I really like Capaldi's Doctor :3
    Capaldi had quite a few quips for Clara. I loved when he said "times like this make me miss Amy".

Of course he misses Amy in situations where he needs a Companion with long legs! Clara's tiny!
    Indeed.
    signature image

Well, I liked it - though I'd have to agree that we still have to see Capaldi's character settle and for his personality to establish itself.

On the whole, it rather put me in mind of the first Peter Davidson episodes where his regeneration had not gone too well and he was all over the place at first.

I suspect it will take a story or two before he stabilises and we fully accept him.

Quote Originally Posted by The Zoo Boy View Post
    . . . . . . Capaldi's Doctor was 2100 years old. To put that in perspective, that was 86 BC, the time of the Roman Republic. Julius Caesar was 14 years old.

Damn, The Doctor is old!!!
    Hmm! almost as old as me.
    Ham and Eggs - a days work for the chicken, a lifetime commitment for the pig.
    signature image
    myspace.com/morestatgrav - Updated in Jul '09 with 10 new tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by staticon View Post
    Well, I liked it - though I'd have to agree that we still have to see Capaldi's character settle and for his personality to establish itself.

On the whole, it rather put me in mind of the first Peter Davidson episodes where his regeneration had not gone too well and he was all over the place at first.

I suspect it will take a story or two before he stabilises and we fully accept him.

Hmm! almost as old as me.
    At least from NuWho, it seems like all of The Doctors have been all over the place/sick (at least from Tennant on). Tennant kept fainting and rambling on, Smith tried out different foods, and both Capaldi and Smith crashed the TARDIS.
    signature image

Fairly common for just regenerated Doctors, new and old. I think Peter Davison was the worst, though.

It varies a LOT by Doctor, but most are at least a bit weak and befuddled for a while.
    signature image

I am quite excited about this, after owning 5-inch action figures of the previous 12 Doctors.

http://merchandise.thedoctorwhosite....-5-figure-set/
    signature image

XNA models of all the Doctors would excite me a LOT!
    signature image

XNA models of all the Doctors would excite me a LOT!
    What are XNA models?
    signature image

The things I use to make my Doctor Who & Lara Croft comics
    signature image

The things I use to make my Doctor Who & Lara Croft comics
    Ah okay. In that case...Lara Croft meets all 13 Doctors? Yes please.
    signature image

Some I could write more easily than others, but oh, the possibilities!

Really hoping for a Clara model, too...
    signature image

Peter Capaldi was really good, and... Peter Capaldi was really good...

And that's about all I have to say for Into The Dalek. Interesting concept, sure, but highly derivative.

Also wondering when Clara swapped places with Oswin. Coz her personality seems to have changed overnight.
    signature image

Yeah, once again, Peter was awesome, I really love him! Not the best episode, but still okay, it was an interesting concept to explore

What did the Dalek mean with the "You are a good Dalek." line? Maybe it's got something to do with Clara said "I don't know if you're a good man, but you try to be, and that's the point." ?
    signature image

I took it to mean 'Your hatred is on par with ours'. If you recall Asylum Of The Daleks, the Dalek leader said pretty much the same thing. That they admire the Doctor's hatred for them, seeing it as a thing of beauty.

Was it the Dalek in Dalek who said to Ecclestone, 'You would make a good Dalek'? It's something of a running theme
    signature image

I loved the episode. I think Peter Capaldi is going to be a great Doctor. One thing I did notice however, is when Ross was doomed to his fate, Capaldi just used him, didn't even warn him. I feel as if Tennant would have said "I'm sorry Ross, I'm so sorry." Makes me think that this new Doctor is less of a "good man" or at least a bit more ruthless than the past two. Very interesting.

Also wondering when Clara swapped places with Oswin. Coz her personality seems to have changed overnight.
    How so/in what way?
    signature image

Clara has never really been that forward. She certainly had feelings for Smith's Doctor, but never once did she put her foot down the way she did within five seconds of meeting Danny Pink. Compare with Oswin, who was most definitely a lot more forward (To Rory: "Now take off your shirt." "Why?" "Does there have to be a reason?").

It struck me as really jarring that last episode she was pining for Smith's Doctor, and now she's basically jumping on some guy she's only just met. It struck me as really out of character.

But then character changing personality on an almost weekly basis has been Clara's problem the whole time, unfortunately. Jenna's great, but no-one seems to have put any thought into creating a consistent personality for her character.
    signature image

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast