^ No Admiral Thrawn? Really?
Top 5 Reason Not To Get Out of Bed Tonight
- The bed is warm and it's chilly out.
- If in bed, I do not have to do work.
- iPad = internet access.
- The cat is in the way
- "Not bed" is some sort of horrible demonscape where the flesh of men and women are rendered from bones for sport.
Top 5 Horror Movies
1. The Thing (John Carpenter version)
3. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (original version. Not that dumbed down remake in the 2000's, I mean the 1970's one)
4. Dracula (1992 Coppola version. Remember when vampires were scary? I went back and forth with this one, but in the end, this is the last vampire movie I've seen that was 100% faithfull to the mythology, and with exception to "30 Days Of Night" is the last one I've seen that really frightened me.)
5. The Descent
And honorable mentions...
"Saw" (just forget about the sequels), "Silent Hill: Revelation", "Pitch Black" (again, forget the sequel), "Basket Case" (definitely a one-of-a-kind), "Jacob's Ladder" (it's not about a certain body piercing).
Very fitting for halloween! However I've barely seen any horror movies, not even 5. So I'm gonna go with:
Top-5 horror media:
1. The Last of us (game)
2. Silence of the Lambs (novel)
3. Hannibal (novel)
4. Dead Space 2 (game)
5. Resident Evil (movie)
Top Five action Films:
1. Die Hard
2. The Rock
4. Highlander (British release!)
5. True Lies
Top five Jackie Chan films:
1. The Myth
2. Drunken Master
3. Rush Hour
4. Armour Of God
5. New Police Story
Top five martial arts films that don't involve Jackie Chan or Jet Li:
1. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
2. House Of Flying Daggers
3. The 36th Chamber Of Shaolin
4. The Shadowless Sword
5. The Assassin's Blade
Top 5 video game endings:
1. Final Fantasy XIII
2. Lightning Returns
3. The Last of Us
4. Tomb Raider: Underworld + Beneath the Ashes
5. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
Top 5 Best Songs From Scary Games:
1. Akira Yamaoka, "Love Psalm", 'Silent Hill 2'
2. Jason Graves, "200 Years Ago On An Icy Planet", 'Dead Space 3' (Fantastic arrangement. Orchestral music is such a lost art these days in the age of electronica it was so refreshing to hear Mr. Graves' work on the first 'DS'.)
3. Beethoven, "Moonlight Sonata", 'Resident Evil' (I've always found it sad, as I can picture him lamenting the loss of his hearing, yearning just to fully hear what music he was making to see if it fully matched up to that he heard in his mind. Or just as sad, the longing to hear his wife's voice. But 'RE' put a certain creepiness to it as well for some reason, even tho it wasn't really used as an action setpiece background tune)
4. Akira Yamaoka feat. Mary Elizabeth McGlynn, "O.R.T.", 'Silent Hill: Origins' (I could've easily made this an all Akira list as he really hasn't done anything bad, IMO. Well, the 'Lollipop Chainsaw' soundtrack perhaps, but those tunes really did fit the visuals and theme of that game, which is not my thing. And tho this is more of a traditional "band" track, as is the above entry, his more atmospheric tunes are very creepily crafted and more traditional "horror music". But I must admit, these 2 songs are the ones I play the most ATM when I put a mix cd of his stuff on. And Mary really delivers, as always, on the vocals in this song. Nails the despair perfectly, IMO.)
5. Yoko Shimomura, "Primal Eyes", 'Parasite Eve'. (There are probably more deserving, but when I think back to 'PE', this tune is always the one that I think of first. It helps it's the main theme, obviously.)
@Adele - I loved Underworld's ending as well, tho I never got to play the DLC to see the real one
Last edited by WinterSoldier; 10-28-2014 at 01:17 PM.
Nice selection! I totally agree on Dead Space 3. I much prefer a bombastic orchestral soundtrack. Although sometimes techno music can be really good too. Or better: mixed.
I didn't play the DLC ending either, had to make due with YouTube. But I still think it's amazing. I always take Legend, Anniversary and Underworld as an example of how a trilogy should work.
My top-5 full video game OST:
1. StarFox Adventures
2. Final Fantasy XIII
3. Mass Effect 3
4. Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII
5. Tomb Raider '13
Yeah, those 3 games are great. 'Legend' is my favorite overall, but 'Underworld' had such a captivating story. It's definitely an underrated TR.
Nice list! I must admit, that Star Fox song was a good soundtrack to sitting around drinking coffee, trying to wake up. If my life were a movie, I'd ask that that song be used.
I haven't played all of them, but I've not heard a bad FF soundtrack yet either. Square always seems to spare no expense when it comes to those games. What are your thoughts on FF13-3? (I forget it's title. Sorry, I'm still waking up)
There are a few games out there with some good techno music. Like Remember Me, Final Fantasy XIII-3 and... I can't think of any other right now.
Out of the trilogy I love Underworld most. It makes all other Tomb Raiders that much darker:
Out of every game out there... StarFox Adventures is my favorite of all. Probably won't change either.
Haha, well. I don't like the Final Fantasy franchise. I like the Final Fantasy XIII franchise. I've played various favored Final Fantasy games, but they never pulled me in. But XIII, just wow. Now there is a little story behind it, I'll keep it short.
It was 2013 when I first played this game. Undoubtedly my least favorite year to be alive. All the ‘’fun’’ had just happened and the only I game I still had left to play was XIII. From the title screen to the credits I was enveloped in a beautiful new universe. I loved the characters, story, worlds, music etc. I was born anew after this, never had I played an actual RPG before. If I were to rate this game I couldn’t give it anything but a solid 10 out of 10. There is nothing I can dislike about not game, not even something small.
Then came XIII-2 which – as a game - is not too bad. But after playing XIII is was a huge downfall. Everything I loved about XIII was destroyed in just a few minutes of gameplay. It gave me mixed feeling about XIII-3 (aka Lightning Returns) but, boy, is that a great game. It’s far away from surpassing XIII-1, but it leaves XIII-2 far behind. It fixes all XIII-2 destroyed and gives you an ending that makes your proud of the 100+ hours you put into that trilogy. If you wanna try it out I recommant you to play either just XIII. Or all 3.
I recently read they released a Steam version. But I'm not sure whether you should play it on PC...
I don't play on PC. My laptop really isn't the most powerful computer in the world. I had to go cheap when I got it because of my budget at the time and I needed one right then and there to do some homework. Basically I can get online and run a very select few softwares for work and that's it. I don't trust it with anything else.
I see. Wouldn't recomment playing it on PC anyway. It's probably better to pick up the original PS3/360 version some time.
Top 5 cross-over that need to happen:
1. Official Tomb Raider/Uncharted video game.
2. Malukah and Lindsey Sterling making a song together.
3. Naughty Dog and Insomniac creating a PS4-game.
4. Official Ratchet & Clank / Sly Cooper video game
5. Florence & the Machine teaming up with BioWare again.
November 7th in Mass Effect N7 Day. Commence ME top 5's!
Top 5 ME characters:
5. James Vega
3. Garrus Vakarian
2. Liara T'Soni
1. My Commander Shepard
Top 5 ME OST
5. I Was Lost Without You - Mass Effect 3
4. Warning Signs - Mass Effect: Paragon Lost
3. Main Theme - Mass Effect 3: Citadel
2. Title Theme - Mass Effect 3
1. Suicide Mission - Mass Effect 2
Top 5 ME Expanded universe
5. Mass Effect: Redemption
4. Mass Effect: Paragon Lost
3. Mass Effect: Retribution
2. Mass Effect: Ascension
1. Mass Effect: Deception
Top 5 ME4 wishlist
5. New expanded universe in form of novels
4. Start of a new trilogy
3. Several character appereances
2. Sequel to ME3, canon to original trilogy. No matter what choices you made.
1. Return of Commander Shepard. ''Sorry, we lied earlier''
You know, I picked up that trilogy pack when it came out on ps3. I played the first one for maybe 3 hours, made whoopie with an alien, got lost in some space colony, then gave up on it. Haven't touched it since. Might have to pick it up again.
Something I picked up too, is that some people who didn't like Mass Effect at all, just needed to switch to FemShep. Go enjoy that voice performance by Jennifer Hale!
If Bioware rereleases the trilogy for next gen consoles I'm convinced they're enabling my bad habit.
Well, if you're going to give the series another chance.. pop in ME2 first. Thank me later.
I hope they're really going to release the trilogy upon the next-gen consoles. I would love to see the games look as slick as Tomb Raider: DE. And not just that, but all DLCs on the disc too. I'm looking forward to that even more than ME4!
I wish I could just set Mass Effect 1 to "Skip to SPECTER Induction." I like Mass Effect 1, but every time I go back I have to wade through all that exposition in the beginning, hammering the skip button screaming "I KNOW!"
I don't really mind. I'm already at the point where I can pretty much talk along with the characters. To spice it up I'm gonna do a Renegade FemShep Insanity playthrough soon. Around October I should have my Wii U and I already have Mass Effect 3: Special Edition waiting for me. Since I can't import my own canon Shepard, I might as well do a non-canon playthrough and do everything I usually never do.