Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Off Topic: Upcoming Games

Quote Originally Posted by gkkiller View Post
    I just finished SA and I'm close to finishing Contracts (on the mission after Slaying a Dragon), playing both for the first time. I found Contracts far easier than SA for two reasons
    1) guards are less paranoid
    2) AI doesn't glitch out very often in Contracts*
    * Granted, it doesn't glitch out much in SA either. It's just weird as hell in At the Gates, Hidden Valley and Temple City Ambush.

My favourite missions from SA have to be Terminal Hospitality, The Jacuzzi Job, The Graveyard Shift, Invitation to a Party, and Tracking Hayamoto in that order. For Contracts, Beldingford Manor, Traditions of the Trade, and Deadly Cargo were the awesome ones.
    AI glitches all the time in SA. It's hilarious. Contracts is "easier" because it allows a bit more time when near a guard without your cover being blown. Just not too much, like in Blood Money, where they don't realize a damn thing. I like the system in Contracts and hope to see something similar in Hitman 6.

Your favourite missions are great. In SA I'd add Death of Hannelore, Basement Killing and Anathema. Damn it's a great game. And you have yet to experience Lee Hong Assassination in Contracts

Quote Originally Posted by Aybroe View Post
    AI glitches all the time in SA. It's hilarious. Contracts is "easier" because it allows a bit more time when near a guard without your cover being blown. Just not too much, like in Blood Money, where they don't realize a damn thing. I like the system in Contracts and hope to see something similar in Hitman 6.

Your favourite missions are great. In SA I'd add Death of Hannelore, Basement Killing and Anathema. Damn it's a great game. And you have yet to experience Lee Hong Assassination in Contracts
    Agreed, Contracts' disguise system is perfect. Anathema was a nice opening mission, but it led up to the Russia missions, which I felt were even better. Plus, the setting was a bit lacklustre. Basement Killing and Death of Hannelore are great, though, and Temple City Ambush, while it was very buggy and involved roaming through constricted streets, was a nice mission as well.

Infractions handed out to everyone involved in yesterday's flaming fest, and bans handed out to those who took it too far.

Keep it on topic now.

I hated AI in Silent Assassin. It was simply too smart. Guards could even hear your footsteps throughout walls and ceiling... in other cases they could hear your picking lock from 100 meters. Contracts had much more realistic AI, it was even better game than Silent Assassin... i still can't understand why most of fans thinks H2 is better than Contracts. I mean H2 has wonderful music and good plot, but this religious character and 47 crossing himself in one moment... i think it didn't fit to series.

I just finished SA and I'm close to finishing Contracts (on the mission after Slaying a Dragon), playing both for the first time. I found Contracts far easier than SA for two reasons
    1) guards are less paranoid
    2) AI doesn't glitch out very often in Contracts*
    * Granted, it doesn't glitch out much in SA either. It's just weird as hell in At the Gates, Hidden Valley and Temple City Ambush.
    The Japanese missions (Hidden Valley especially) were plain awful. The only mission in the the Hitman series where I didn't even attempt to get SA rating.

Quote Originally Posted by kewlak View Post
    I hated AI in Silent Assassin. It was simply too smart. Guards could even hear your footsteps throughout walls and ceiling... in other cases they could hear your picking lock from 100 meters. Contracts had much more realistic AI, it was even better game than Silent Assassin... i still can't understand why most of fans thinks H2 is better than Contracts. I mean H2 has wonderful music and good plot, but this religious character and 47 crossing himself in one moment... i think it didn't fit to series.
    Playing more through Contracts, I'm finding the disguise system to be a little too easy. Definitely much better than BM but still a little cheap. You can flat out run in front of most guards and nothing will happen; moreover, it seems the baddies in Contracts are deaf as they hear your footsteps and turn around until you are 2-3 meters away. I still wouldn't complain if this system went to Hitman 6 but I'm liking H2's better. The problem with H2's, as you said, is that the guards are very paranoid but that isn't the disguise system's fault, it's the AI's. If IO somehow blends H2 disguise system with Contracts' AI, we've got a winner for sure.

As for why most fans like H2 compared to Contracts, well, I bet it's partly because Contracts feels more like an expansion than a standalone game. The visuals are almost identical to H2 and the game is pretty glitchy/crashes a lot (I have the disk version and the dang patch from Eidos isn't downloading!!). Contracts was also very short and most missions weren't new. If you've played the Hitman games in order (first playthroughs), you will truly appreciate H2; the game improved on C:47 in every possible way and gave us a damn good soundtrack to boot. C:47 is riddled with AI bugs and glitches -- you would often have to replay a mission 5 times because someone shot you randomly. Then Contracts comes along and gives us pretty much more of the same, only playing more on the dark nature of Hitman that we saw in C:47. Contracts is basically a remake of C:47 and serves to introduce Hitman to the general crowd better than the other games. Most players nowadays don't want to waste their time with C:47 as it's hard to run on modern computers so they opt for Contracts instead.

To me, H2 is much more memorable. Some of those memories are because the game is notoriously hard to get SA on all missions (Redemption one is a toughy). But H2 hard isn't impossible, it just take multiple tries which extends re-playability.

I judge the difficulty of a Hitman game by how hard it is to get SA rating on one complete playthrough (no replaying missions). Going through Contracts again (and it's been many many years since I've played it before my recent re-visitation with the game), I can get SA no problem on my first try. I've had more trouble getting SA in BM than this game, believe it or not.

And you have yet to experience Lee Hong Assassination in Contracts
    Those Hong Kong missions feel out of place in Contracts. Lee Hong Assassination, fine, since it was a very replayable and exciting mission in C:47. But all 4 missions without a cutscene of 47 back in the hotel? I dunno.

I would've preferred seeing the Pablo Ochoa (Say Hello to my Little Friend) assassination instead of one of the Hong Kong ones. The jungle missions are weirdly missing from Contracts as they redo almost every locale but that one. Lots of people hate them but that is because the AI is very glitchy.
    Last edited by Adrian Shephard; 07-28-2014 at 08:04 AM.
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Shephard View Post
    The Japanese missions (Hidden Valley especially) were plain awful. The only mission in the the Hitman series where I didn't even attempt to get SA rating.
    Agreed. At the Gates and especially Hidden Valley are awful levels. YAMEE YAMEE

To me, H2 is much more memorable. Some of those memories are because the game is notoriously hard to get SA on all missions (Redemption one is a toughy). But H2 hard isn't impossible, it just take multiple tries which extends re-playability.
    Well, you don't actually get ranked in Redemption at Gontranno if I recall correctly. After all, everyone is a target so no witnesses there. I also prefer H2 over Contracts because Contracts is, after all, "only a remake". I also think that the levels it borrowed from C47 weren't as good as the original. Especially ToTT and Lee Hong, even though I still love the Contracts versions. Only Deadly Cargo and Rendezvous are a massive improvement over the C47 Rotterdam levels, which I hate.

Those Hong Kong missions feel out of place in Contracts. Lee Hong Assassination, fine, since it was a very replayable and exciting mission in C:47. But all 4 missions without a cutscene of 47 back in the hotel? I dunno.

I would've preferred seeing the Pablo Ochoa (Say Hello to my Little Friend) assassination instead of one of the Hong Kong ones. The jungle missions are weirdly missing from Contracts as they redo almost every locale but that one. Lots of people hate them but that is because the AI is very glitchy.
    Out of place? He's having flashbacks. Yeah the story isn't great, but it has never been a problem for me. I'm all about the hits and that's all that matters. Although I'm not sure if it was necessary to include all four of them. Lee Hong and Seafood would've sufficed in my eyes, but the game was rushed and they had to get something into it.

I hate the jungle missions. Not because of AI though, but because they're too big and empty. Just running around in a jungle. No planning what so ever required in that. I agree that I also would've preferred Say Hello 2.0 over Slaying the Dragon or Wang Fou, but definitely not over Lee Hong Assassination. That one is one of my all time favourites.

Although I'm not sure if it was necessary to include all four of them. Lee Hong and Seafood would've sufficed in my eyes, but the game was rushed and they had to get something into it....I agree that I also would've preferred Say Hello 2.0 over Slaying the Dragon or Wang Fou, but definitely not over Lee Hong Assassination. That one is one of my all time favourites.
    Well that's what I was trying to get at...that 4 Hong Kong missions were a little too much. Lee Hong is definitely my favorite mission in C:47 and probably the entire series. Ah...so much nostalgia in the mission: 7 year old me mowing down everybody using the ~infammo and ~god 1 cheats (I still didn't understand Hitman).

And the only word I know in Japanese (if it's even that) is "YAMEE!!!!".

I'm getting the chills just thinking about Hidden Valley.

And I could've sworn that you do get a rating on the mission. I remember spending countless hours trying to be sneaky and pick off everyone 1-by-1. It's time for another replay of H2.
    signature image

And I could've sworn that you do get a rating on the mission. I remember spending countless hours trying to be sneaky and pick off everyone 1-by-1. It's time for another replay of H2.
    There wasn't ranking in this one. I'm 100% sure. It was total massacre mission

There wasn't ranking in this one. I'm 100% sure. It was total massacre mission
    Well, damn. I must've played all that time for nothing.

Great mission BTW. Excellent way to finish a masterpiece of a game.
    signature image

Having played it just yesterday, I can confirm that you don't get a rank on Redemption at Gontranno.

Contracts is basically a remake of C:47 and serves to introduce Hitman to the general crowd better than the other games. Most players nowadays don't want to waste their time with C:47 as it's hard to run on modern computers so they opt for Contracts instead.
    This is why I decided to play Contracts and SA simultaneously, seeing as there's no real connection between the stories. I tried playing Codename 47 and ... let me list my issues.
    • Took ages to install.
    • Crashed when I ran it the first few times.
    • Had to use ini tweaks to make it run properly.
    • Couldn't get it to run at anything higher than 640x480. Not even 800x600.
    • Couldn't bind controls properly. I put action on Space and still had to use RMB to perform actions.

That last one just about killed it for me. I ragequit after hours of trying to get it to work properly and uninstalled it.

On the other hand, Thief Gold, which is at least two years older, installed perfectly. Even if it wouldn't, there's a fantastic community with tons of fan patches and mods to make it work.

(IO, take a hint.)

Having played it just yesterday, I can confirm that you don't get a rank on Redemption at Gontranno.

This is why I decided to play Contracts and SA simultaneously, seeing as there's no real connection between the stories. I tried playing Codename 47 and ... let me list my issues.
    • Took ages to install.
    • Couldn't bind controls properly. I put action on Space and still had to use RMB to perform actions.

That last one just about killed it for me. I ragequit after hours of trying to get it to work properly and uninstalled it.

On the other hand, Thief Gold, which is at least two years older, installed perfectly. Even if it wouldn't, there's a fantastic community with tons of fan patches and mods to make it work.

(IO, take a hint.)
    Thief is in a class of its own (TMA is my favorite one); very very good games (the originals). Less than optimal reboot but hey, mistakes have to be made for progress I guess.

That sucks that you can't run C:47 at higher resolution. Do you have the steam version? Almost certain that I didn't run it at that low of one (I had the disk version). I would try it out again but my idiot self gave it away to a friend when I got H2 years ago (also gave him Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2...aargh!)

What do you map the RMB as? I've always used that as "action" in Hitman games but that's probably because I was used to it after being forced in C:47. It makes sense too as it's one of the most used buttons and it initates a menu tat you can scroll with the wheel.

A real shame since it's a very good game aside from the obvious glitches. Jesper Kyd also did an awesome job with the electronic soundtrack; definitely my second favorite OST after H2.
    signature image

I tried playing Codename 47 and ... let me list my issues.
    • Took ages to install.

That's strange. Have you got original game? Some time ago i've installed C47 too, and the only problem i had was too high FPS (game was veeeery fast). Later i've bought Hitman quadrilogy, and everything was ok.

EDIT:

...But i had some problems with H2 from that quadrilogy. After beating 10 first missions at first approach with Silent Assassin rating, my saves and control settings have disappeared -.-
    I think that might be some problems with .ini file indeed
    Last edited by kewlak; 07-29-2014 at 05:02 AM.

Thief is in a class of its own (TMA is my favorite one); very very good games (the originals). Less than optimal reboot but hey, mistakes have to be made for progress I guess.
    I only ever played Gold completely. For some reason, the second one felt soulless, y'know what I mean? Too much metal and machinery. I liked the eerie atmosphere and monsters of Thief Gold. And Deadly Shadows was a travesty, no other word for it. Couldn't be bothered to play past the first mission (the one right after the tutorial).

What do you map the RMB as? I've always used that as "action" in Hitman games but that's probably because I was used to it after being forced in C:47. It makes sense too as it's one of the most used buttons and it initates a menu tat you can scroll with the wheel.
    I use a mix of Blood Money style and Splinter Cell key binds.
    LMB - fire
    RMB - inventory
    Fourth and fifth mouse buttons - reload and holster
    Space - Action
    C - sneak (the one you don't have to hold)
    Ctrl - crouch (the one you do have to hold)

That's strange. Have you got original game? Some time ago i've installed C47 too, and the only problem i had was too high FPS (game was veeeery fast).
    A friend of mine had it and gave it to me. I'm pretty sure it's a cracked/pirated version, so that could be the problem.

I only ever played Gold completely. For some reason, the second one felt soulless, y'know what I mean? Too much metal and machinery. I liked the eerie atmosphere and monsters of Thief Gold. And Deadly Shadows was a travesty, no other word for it. Couldn't be bothered to play past the first mission (the one right after the tutorial).
    Ha if you thought Deadly Shadows was a travesty, don't touch the new one.

I liked that aspect of all machinery in TMA, it gave the world such a unique feel. I liked the story a bit better as well and for some reason I hated the monsters in Gold.

I also love the horror type stuff in TMA with the ghosts that attack you and freaky undead zombies. Also the mech bots scare the out of me (especially the spider ones in the last mission). Maybe that's why I liked TMA better, because it was darker/scarier.

Ooo ooo I almost forgot the freaking monkeys that speak English and chase you down relentlessly. Also those damn trees that are alive and chase you around. Seriously. That is my scariest moment of gaming. I'm standing still staring at a tree and I see the branches moving a bit. My brother is like "is that thing moving?" to which I reply "no it can't be". I turn around and walk a bit then all of the sudden I hear thumping, turn around, and I realize I'm being chased by a tree. A TREE.

Ahh man I miss the old Thief. Definitely on my top 10 all time list.

But I guess it's not for everyone.

For those not familiar with the scariest monsters of gaming:

Tree Beasts: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6oksHXolY4
    Haunts: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXe5cXtZ5KU
    Freaky Combat Bot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGHj...mr3Gfi7cjaNrsJ
    Scary Apes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efWY...mr3Gfi7cjaNrsJ
    Last edited by Adrian Shephard; 07-29-2014 at 10:46 PM.
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by mcescher1 View Post
    wow sooo... ive just gotten around to playing assassins creed IV... awesome!

i see a lot of qualities that we are looking for as hitman fans in this game! its has a big interactive environment, multiple game modes, the "instinct" mode is really just a tagger (a very nice compromise), collectables, weapon upgrades, somewhat challenging hand to hand combat, interaction, and mini games!

i was requesting mini games just a few days ago! so far i have played 3 strategy games i have never even heard of before that are F^n awesome! i have looked for interesting alternative strategy games for chess without luck! and i find them in assassins creed...

im wondering if hitman will ever be able to introduce a game like this, but a little darker and more adult in context... it would be a challenge cause' 47 isn't a sea captain but i would be curious to see what they could have him do
    mcescher1, my arch nemesis. Assassin's Creed IV is a good game. Possibly the smartest thing you've ever said. The Instinct feature is more fun than anything a map could ever have provided, you're not wrong about that. The combat system is more fluid also and gameplay is less about pressing the right button and more about strategy, the first time ever in an AC game, as far as I know. While, you still can't manipulate the ambience to kill a target or save the game at will (where Hitman excels), Ubisoft did a really great job with this game, I have to admit.

The new Smash Bros. did just come out for 3DS but its not out for WiiU yet so I guess its still an upcoming game? Anyways yeah I'm excited to see professionals fight in HD through this game.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123