Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: God, am I depressed.

Default God, am I depressed.

I haven't played a good game in YEARS. I'm talking about a game that I've returned to over and over to inch closer to 100% completion. A game that's stayed with me for a long time. The last games I've felt this way about was Blood Money and GTA: Vice City.

It seems like all the great franchises are taking a turn for the worst, much like a plane striking the ground like a bolt of lightning. GTA V = Garbage. Hitman: Absolution = Garbage. Every Resident Evil after Outbreak = Garbage. I feel like the best times are behind me and culture in general is at an all-time low.

I hope Hitman 6 proves me wrong. Although, IO's persistence to exclude Jesper Kyd and other reasons lead me to believe that they've lost it for good. 2 games are on my agenda, Hitman 6 and Metal Gear Solid V. Should both of these piss me off I'm saying goodbye to video games for good. I keep telling myself that Absolution was just an experiment for IO so they could test out their engine more than anything else.

I just can't believe how far they fell!

This is gonna be a long year!
    Last edited by Agent_69; 07-19-2014 at 04:23 AM.

hah... i feel your pain brotha!

i do think that we are hitting a speed bump with games at the moment...

but i don't think that the best games are behind us...

i think right now we are seeing a lot of games coming out trying to catch up with the advancement of graphics and gameplay... but at some point i think we will see masssssiivveee sized games..

games that go on and on and on... in a good way

just like we have started to see with mini-series' and premium shows...

if you think about it... movies are lame these days too

why? because we have shows like the house of cards and game of thrones ... that are like movies with great actors and scenes and dialogue and everything - just loooonnggerrrr

at some point all of these studios will seem to catch up with the "accepted" graphics and then just supply us with a seemingly neverending epic game.

i hope. for you and me both.

I agree with you Agent 69.
    Most of the games nowadays all look the same and most people care about graphics more than gameplay and story.
    Until now I thought was the only person in world that didn‘t like GTA V.To be honest game was nothing special to me-average story,classic dumb Rockstar humor etc. but that‘s another story...

Anyway,I don‘t think Hitman 6 will dissapoint-I have a good feeling about it,this is probably IO‘s last chance for Hitman franchise and I‘m sure the game will be great...I believe in IO.

Sounds to me like you guys need to stop playing video games all together.

If you guys can't appreciate a single playthrough of say...The Last of Us...then you really should just stop playing games all together.

Very sad.
    >ICARUS FOUND YOU!!!
    >>RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!

We need another Half-Life.

And Opposing Force 2...
    signature image

Agreed. I hope HM:6 changes the course that Absolution set the series on.

I, too, have wondered if Absolution was just an experiment to see if another game model would work for the series. Hopefully it was just an experiment and failed. I'd love to see a "Blood Money 2". To this day BM is a great, heavily replayable game and it's over 8 years old. Could only imagine how great it would be if they took the BM formula and applied it to their next game with all the new technology etc.
    There's a bullet for everyone.. And a time.. And a place..

Don't worry, Hitman Absolution was an experiment to see how fans and public will react. If I recall correctly, there was an interview mention after Absolution release where the developers stated they wanted to try something new to see the reaction of the audience. Since the reaction was very negative among fans and moderate with the general audience, they should have come to their senses by now to return back to the roots of the Hitman games.

Quote Originally Posted by LeMoN_LiMe View Post
    Sounds to me like you guys need to stop playing video games all together.

If you guys can't appreciate a single playthrough of say...The Last of Us...then you really should just stop playing games all together.

Very sad.
    To be honest, I've never played TLOU. I've been meaning to wait until I can buy a PS4 and play the HD version. But, also, I can't even remember the last time I watched a movie. I think it was Skyfall about a year ago. Anyway, I'm a little burned out on watching movies and to me, games like TLAO are simply interactive movies. Don't get me wrong, it's probably a good game, but I also like games that allow you to grow and be creative, rather than just press a sequence of buttons that narrate a movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent_69 View Post
    To be honest, I've never played TLOU. I've been meaning to wait until I can buy a PS4 and play the HD version. But, also, I can't even remember the last time I watched a movie. I think it was Skyfall about a year ago. Anyway, I'm a little burned out on watching movies and to me, games like TLAO are simply interactive movies. Don't get me wrong, it's probably a good game, but I also like games that allow you to grow and be creative, rather than just press a sequence of buttons that narrate a movie.

Wow.

Your life sucks.
    >ICARUS FOUND YOU!!!
    >>RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by LeMoN_LiMe View Post
    Wow.

Your life sucks.
    Is there a moderator here?
    Last edited by Agent_69; 07-19-2014 at 04:20 PM.

You're mother sucks.
    I understood that as a joke but you should be careful of getting temporarily banned in case someone takes that the wrong way. Recently, someone here got banned because of antagonistic language (you may or may not be him seeing the join date).

EDIT:

"Your life sucks" is a common phrase in the English language and, to the native speaker, should not be taken as an insult. It is simply an informal way of saying "that's too bad".
    Last edited by Adrian Shephard; 07-19-2014 at 10:45 PM.
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Shephard View Post
    I understood that as a joke but you should be careful of getting temporarily banned in case someone takes that the wrong way. Recently, someone here got banned because of antagonistic language (you may or may not be him seeing the join date).
    haha, youre right!! it is him lol already starting trouble

I've been playing F.E.A.R.: First Encounter Assault Recon recently. It's an amazing game. It may be a linear corridor shooter, but the level of polish, the eerie atmosphere, and the tension and satisfaction of combat make it an amazing game. Not to mention, the AI is insanely good, even smarter than some people on these forums :P

Try red dead redemption..they put a lot of time and effort in the game and you could tell..the gameplay is awesome graphics arent bad physics are from euphoria and the story is pretty interesting

I see what you mean OP. I find myself passing on more and more titles these days, and for the most part play games decades old. If you hit a wall with modern games, there's nothing wrong in going back and discovering older titles. It doesn't have to be new to be exciting.

Although I fully feel what the OP is saying. THere are games out there that are equally great if not better than old titles. I loved TLOU granted it has a low replayability for me. GTAV was good, the story wasn't that bad, but that ending was rubbish. I really sat there wondering if that was the end. Never happened to me before. The walking dead is also pretty good..... the list goes on.
    I do think that most larger companies are missing the point and focusing on detail and graphics over the actual game. That's why I'm still a bit hesitant from IO saying they'll pay alot of attention to detail. This usually means graphical detail and not behaviour or some type of game mechanic. I could care less how much detail a vase has on a stand. I will NEVER EVER stop playing to look at all the individual cracks on a vase. Its not graphics being overhyped, it the bloody detail. Seeing each and every crack /zit/line/dirt/lens flare/shiny small thing. There is such a thing as too much detail, the hours spent giving a character realistic dirt below the nails WILL NEVER be noticed while playing. Especially if they're always wearing gloves lol

Never played TLOU to the end. Never cared for the GTA series beyond GTA2. The zombie craze never really caught me either. Come to think of it, the last modern game I really enjoyed and have played 100+ hours of have gotta be Skyrim. Also played a ton of Deus Ex: HR. Good games are few and far between these days. At least for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Master47 View Post
    I see what you mean OP. I find myself passing on more and more titles these days, and for the most part play games decades old. If you hit a wall with modern games, there's nothing wrong in going back and discovering older titles. It doesn't have to be new to be exciting.
    I've been playing a lot of older titles recently. Games that I either missed or wasn't interested in during the PS2 era. Resident Evil: Code Veronica, for example. Yeah, the static level design and awkward controls are very strange in this day and age but that game is still a lot more fun than anything that's come out in recent years. Bully, too, from Rockstar, it's kind of a kid's game but there's just so much to do. I think, since Sony and M$ are still making up their mind whether to usher in the new era or keep making cross platforms and developers are clueless as to how to make a game, I'm gonna use this time to revisist all the old titles. Most of them can be played on the PS3, so...

Yes, what do you need?

(Someone just reported that post. That's how you get staff attention )

Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Driber View Post
    Yes, what do you need?

(Someone just reported that post. That's how you get staff attention )
    Thanks, Driber. Let the baby have his candy. I'm normally not one to go crying to my baby blanket 😭 because someone said something I didn't like. It's unfortunate that not everyone has the same maturity level.

I haven't played a good game in YEARS. I'm talking about a game that I've returned to over and over to inch closer to 100% completion. A game that's stayed with me for a long time. The last games I've felt this way about was Blood Money and GTA: Vice City.
    I think you (or better: we) are just getting old. Things change, but our preferences doesn't.

But I know where you are coming from. In my opinion, games like Watch Dogs, Splinter Cell, GTA IV (I haven't played GTA V yet) and Assassins Creed are highly generic, although some of them desire to be an open world game. Especially the Ubisoft games feel like classic puzzle games with nice optics but bad stories, poor atmosphere and a redundant game design.
    Absolution wasn't THAT bad, but I'm afraid that Hitman develops in the same direction.

BUT! We also tend to say: Everything was better in the old days. Thats not true. There are some pearls among newer games. My favorites of the last years are Deus Ex Human Revolution and Sleeping Dogs. They are not perfect, but much better than their high budget competitors.

Quote Originally Posted by Buscar88 View Post
    I think you (or better: we) are just getting old. Things change, but our preferences doesn't.

But I know where you are coming from. In my opinion, games like Watch Dogs, Splinter Cell, GTA IV (I haven't played GTA V yet) and Assassins Creed are highly generic, although some of them desire to be an open world game. Especially the Ubisoft games feel like classic puzzle games with nice optics but bad stories, poor atmosphere and a redundant game design.
    Absolution wasn't THAT bad, but I'm afraid that Hitman develops in the same direction.

BUT! We also tend to say: Everything was better in the old days. Thats not true. There are some pearls among newer games. My favorites of the last years are Deus Ex Human Revolution and Sleeping Dogs. They are not perfect, but much better than their high budget competitors.
    It's true that people get old and people always say that their generation was the best. But in this case, I have to say that things are pretty crappy these days. Everything up until the mid 2000's was progressive. The American economy was at it's peak. Not to get political, but the economy is lousy and so, as a result, publishers and developers are even less open to taking risks. Look at movies, for example, CGI all over the place because it's just less expensive. Publishers these days are more than ever looking for a return on their investment. GTA V cost 250 million to make and they marketed that game to death. GTA V ended up being garbage. To top it off, this generation live inside their phone. The 60's had hippies and drugs. The 70's had disco and drugs. The 80's had Michael Jackson, Jason Voorhies, and more drugs. The 90's had, quite possibly, the pinnacle of entertainment, overlapping into the first half of the 2000s, and, of course, more drugs. Today, all we have is Facebook and drugs. What kind of $h!it is that.

God, you are depressed.:P

You do live in time whare you can have all possibilities of the last four decades. But the amount of possiblities seems to overtax you.

Interestingly, the people of the generations you mentioned are developing these crappy games right know. Maybe because of drugs? :P

It's true that people get old and people always say that their generation was the best. But in this case, I have to say that things are pretty crappy these days. Everything up until the mid 2000's was progressive. The American economy was at it's peak. Not to get political, but the economy is lousy and so, as a result, publishers and developers are even less open to taking risks. Look at movies, for example, CGI all over the place because it's just less expensive. Publishers these days are more than ever looking for a return on their investment. GTA V cost 250 million to make and they marketed that game to death. GTA V ended up being garbage. To top it off, this generation live inside their phone. The 60's had hippies and drugs. The 70's had disco and drugs. The 80's had Michael Jackson, Jason Voorhies, and more drugs. The 90's had, quite possibly, the pinnacle of entertainment, overlapping into the first half of the 2000s, and, of course, more drugs. Today, all we have is Facebook and drugs. What kind of $h!it is that.
    I've often thought the same, but never so eloquently. I used to say that pop culture died in 2003 and that is exactly why!

I don't say that anymore because I recognize a resurgence of inspired media, albeit small. I am hopeful that Hitman 6 can fit into this narrow category of new content that feels inspired, unique, artful, and esoteric. Indeed, the most articulate media is esoteric, and there appears to be a growing gap between the articulate esoteric and the generic or repetitive mainstream.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast