Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Tomb Raider: Ten Thousand Immortals (Novel)

Default Tomb Raider: Ten Thousand Immortals (Novel)

(click image to enlarge)

Haunted by what she was forced to do in order to survive her first adventure, Lara Croft wants only to put her horrifying ordeal on Yamatai island in the past. Her modest wish shatters as she's plunged into a frantic race to save her best friend Sam from a toxic overdose. Desperate for a remedy, Lara searches for anything that could help Sam. A wisp of hope arising from a myth gives Lara purpose: the story of an ancient and mysterious artifact that could heal her dying friend, and possibly help explain the supernatural events she witnessed on Yamatai.

But Lara is not alone in her pursuit of the treasure. A nefarious magnate, a shadow society, and lethal henchmen will stop at nothing to exploit the powerful relic for their own ends. The hunt drives Lara across the globe, through a twisted web of conspiracy, suspicious contacts, and life-or-death intrigue, as she seeks salvation for her friend and the truth behind the legendary talisman.

• Tomb Raider: The Ten Thousand Immortals broadens the world and continues the storyline that was introduced in the recent Tomb Raider video game.
    • Tied-in to the best-selling Tomb Raider game launch of March 2013, the novel picks up Lara’s journey immediately following the game’s ending, and will become canon within the modern “reboot” timeline.
    • Written by Dan Abnett, a bestselling British novelist and comic book writer.
    • Storyline written in conjunction with the game developers at Crystal Dynamics.

Last edited by 220_Volts; 10-20-2014 at 05:05 PM.

I'm curious so know where this fits in with the comic... Other than that... Yaaaay

I'm curious as to why they made this about sam... YET AGAIN.

I have just two words: Sam again? The actual adventure sounds quite good though. I guess this is set before the comics?

I swear that Sam is just an attention seeking . All Lara wants to do is study, research, travel to historical sites and she comes along and ruins it all to get attention doing whatever it takes. If I were Lara I'd just say it you want to get kidnapped or poisoned again, you do that, I'm off on a proper adventure .

I am curious though over what Sam could have overdosed on to need a magical artefact to save her when doctors can't.

Well... I guess it does say 'immediately' so, probably... At least we know Sam can still die in the comics

^^ Hard to tell, especially when both claim to tie-in with the game lol.

Still, it seems to be a solid launch date this time around. Can't wait to get my hands on it.

EDIT/
    BradyGames finally has something about it on their site: http://www.bradygames.com/promotions...x?promo=139971

Quote Originally Posted by Rai View Post
    I have just two words: Sam again? The actual adventure sounds quite good though. I guess this is set before the comics?

I swear that Sam is just an attention seeking . All Lara wants to do is study, research, travel to historical sites and she comes along and ruins it all to get attention doing whatever it takes. If I were Lara I'd just say it you want to get kidnapped or poisoned again, you do that, I'm off on a proper adventure .

I am curious though over what Sam could have overdosed on to need a magical artefact to save her when doctors can't.
    Uuuuuuu gurl, werk that sass, yaaaas
    signature image

Well, the comics are set six weeks after the events of Yamatai, so I guess that gives enough time for the events of the book to happen. Presuming the novel doesn't contradict anything that happens in the comics as they're both supposed to be 'cannon'. I suppose that that time frame would also give this cult in the comics time to hear about the events on Yamatai (Mathias' death) and to set everything up to resurrect him. I'm not saying the novel and comic are tied, just that the two separate stories can co-exist within the time frames.

as she's plunged into a frantic race to save her best friend Sam from a toxic overdose.
    Ok, what? That's one the weakest plot centres I've ever heard, to be honest.
    signature image

Hmm, I love video-game novels, I read Halo: Fall of Reach and Bioshock: Rapture, damn sure I'm gonna pick this up
    Raiding tombs since 2007. deviantART tumblr | N7
    signature image

Not keen on seeing Samsel in distress again but if you take that angle out , the story is pretty reminiscent of classic TR's - Lara hopping around the globe for an artifact . So I am definitely excited .

Another important question is; is it a picture book?

I don't really understand when this happens. After TR9? What about the comics? O_o
    If it happens before the comics, it is kinda boring or not? I mean, we know Sam's not gonna die in the book anyway then.

The premise seems good but... just two things:

1)Dear Lord, I'm getting really sick of Sam . Not of the character itself, but of the fact that she's always Princess Peach.
    2)I'm not sure wheter making all of these (the comics and the book) canon is a good idea or not. I mean, if everything that happens in the comics and in the novel will be explained through flashbacks at the beginning of ROTTR then it's okay, but if not... I don't think the casual player is going to read the comics and the novel, and so he/she may be really confused.

^ I think the devs are aware of that, so there should be no confusion when the game comes out...
    signature image

as she's plunged into a frantic race to save her best friend Sam from a toxic overdose.
    Well if she will listen to Britney on repeat...

signature image

Quote Originally Posted by pidipidi39 View Post
    2)I'm not sure wheter making all of these (the comics and the book) canon is a good idea or not. I mean, if everything that happens in the comics and in the novel will be explained through flashbacks at the beginning of ROTTR then it's okay, but if not... I don't think the casual player is going to read the comics and the novel, and so he/she may be really confused.
    There's probably no need to include a flashback of all these little mini adventures from the comics and novels into the next game. They seem to be 'stand-alone' for the most part, thus irrelevant to the main story of the games.

(I myself only consider the games as canon anyway, so I don't have any of these problems to begin with )

Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

Nice. I always enjoy reading a good adventure. Thanks for the heads up.

Amazon lists details of 400 pages with an Oct 20th release.

Her modest wish shatters as she's plunged into a frantic race to save her best friend Sam...
    Am I dreaming? Because this can't be real, it has to be someone's joke. A parody of Tomb Raider where the entire franchise has been turned into a "Sam & Lara adventure" or more accurately "Lara saves the damsel again and again" adventure. A children's cartoon where the same plot plays out every episode for laughs. Except it's not funny any more.

Why? Why....? I'm seriously worried for the sequel now. Because how can supposedly competent writers make the franchise a parody of itself and be dead serious about it.

I better not see Sam again because I'm officially sick of this.

^ You do realize this is just a novel and not a game? The poor writer didn't know what to write so he wrote about Lara and Sam, loosely based on the previous game...
    signature image

^ That is a good point, this is by two brand new writers, so perhaps they're just sticking to common ground to avoid treading on a landmine

Quote Originally Posted by d1n0_xD View Post
    ^ You do realize this is just a novel and not a game? The poor writer didn't know what to write so he wrote about Lara and Sam, loosely based on the previous game...
    I hope so. I hope this is forgotten and never mentioned again. Because this is the canon lore of the franchise now.

Saving Sam, the first three adventures of Lara Croft - this is what will be on Lara's wiki page and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by a big house View Post
    ^ That is a good point, this is by two brand new writers, so perhaps they're just sticking to common ground to avoid treading on a landmine
    But how bad of a writer do you have to be to stick to rehashing the damsel in distress plot?

Quote Originally Posted by _Ninja_ View Post
    But how bad of a writer do you have to be to stick to rehashing the damsel in distress plot?
    Damsel in distress is a popular plot-device... Once you look at it as a novel, it makes perfect sense... Now, I know most people who are going to read this are gamers AND TR fans, but maybe, just maybe, someone will pick up this book while going through a book store and love it. The thing is, I don't think the writer is writing this book to cater to the fans, he wants to make money, he know the story loosely and he's doing his own thing with it. Even if it is canon, like Driber said, games are what matters, and I don't think CD will be silly enough to make the game have something to do with the novel, since most gamers won't read the book, so they won't know what's happening. this is just a fun little thing to go over to shorten our wait for the game, IMO.
    signature image

OMG! SAM AGAIN!!!! This is getting ridiculous now! -_-
    signature image

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast