Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Tomb Raider: Ten Thousand Immortals (Novel)

Quote Originally Posted by _Ninja_ View Post
    But how bad of a writer do you have to be to stick to rehashing the damsel in distress plot?
    I don't know, I've never heard of the guy

I'll likely get the book but whether or not I finish it is a different matter, I'm about half way through 4 different books with no intent to finish any of them

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by dark7angel View Post
    OMG! SAM AGAIN!!!! This is getting ridiculous now! -_-
    Yes Praise Sam, she will be the Point Star of the Franchise now.

I'll just quote myself from TRF when the subject of Sam again came up:
    I think both Gail and the novel's author must be restricted, both are (asaik) in contact with CD. CD are writing the games, the games being the 'Main' story with Lara's main adventures, so anything the novel or comics have to offer can't be too grand in scale story-wise, even with both remaining canon. RoTTR is meant to be Lara's first big adventure since Yamtai, so the comic and novel stories are mini-adventures in comparison. So the material the writers have to work on in regards to the rebooted universe is limited. New adventures unrelated to Yamatai can happen introducing new characters, such as Danny, but further to that 'outside the games' stories can't contradict anything the games story have.

Though I have to agree, the Samsel in distress thing is getting old already. She's becoming a liability. Lara needs to get rid asap so she can gain freedom. It'll help her move on finally. No therapy needed .
    Btw, thanks chocolate for Samsel in distress

Quote Originally Posted by d1n0_xD View Post
    ^ I think the devs are aware of that, so there should be no confusion when the game comes out...
    Let's hope so.

Quote Originally Posted by Driber View Post
    There's probably no need to include a flashback of all these little mini adventures from the comics and novels into the next game. They seem to be 'stand-alone' for the most part, thus irrelevant to the main story of the games.

(I myself only consider the games as canon anyway, so I don't have any of these problems to begin with )
    I don't know how 'stand-alone' they are, considering that to understand the comics you should have played the reboot.
    But if you mean that the tale they're telling will come to an end in the comics themselves, then yeah, it would be the best

Being TR a videogames franchise I understand that you only consider the games as canon, but it seems like CD is not going for that route.

^ You do realize this is just a novel and not a game? The poor writer didn't know what to write so he wrote about Lara and Sam, loosely based on the previous game...
    I think that if you don't have a good plot you may just as well not write a novel. But I'm not saying the novel will be surely bad, it may be surprisingly good. Let's wait and see

Quote Originally Posted by _Ninja_ View Post
    But how bad of a writer do you have to be to stick to rehashing the damsel in distress plot?
    Not bad, but of ideas, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by pidipidi39 View Post
    I don't know how 'stand-alone' they are, considering that to understand the comics you should have played the reboot.
    But if you mean that the tale they're telling will come to an end in the comics themselves, then yeah, it would be the best
    Perhaps 'stand-alone' was a confusing phrase to use here. What I meant was that the comics should be seen as little mini-adventures that are not required reading to make sense of the main story as is told in the official games. Like said by someone else earlier - they are fun 'fillers' to keep the fans occupied while they wait for the release of the next installment in the series.

So whatever happens in the comics/novels/whathaveyou will not need to be re-told in the games.

Quote Originally Posted by pidipidi39 View Post
    Being TR a videogames franchise I understand that you only consider the games as canon, but it seems like CD is not going for that route.
    What do you mean, exactly?

To me it doesn't really matter what CD (or any other game dev for that matter) proclaims to be canon. If CD wants to call the comics canon so that the publisher can sell more copies, fine with me. But that is not going to change my mind on whether I consider these comics as canon (or in other words - important) to Lara's main story as told through the official games.

If I can play the games without needing any of these comics and novels (i.e. the story in the games hold up on their own) then IMO it would be simply irrelevant to consider said comics and novels as canon or not.

After all, wasn't The Beginning considered canon as well? And how many of us really needed that little story to make sense of TR9?

Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

What do you mean, exactly?

To me it doesn't really matter what CD (or any other game dev for that matter) proclaims to be canon. If CD wants to call the comics canon so that the publisher can sell more copies, fine with me. But that is not going to change my mind on whether I consider these comics as canon (or in other words - important) to Lara's main story as told through the official games.
    I think you misunderstood me (or it's very likely that I explained myself badly ). I didn't say that since CD considers the comics canon you must too; what I said is that they (probably) consider said comics canon. That being said, you may consider them canon just as well as you may not.

If I can play the games without needing any of these comics and novels (i.e. the story in the games hold up on their own) then IMO it would be simply irrelevant to consider said comics and novels as canon or not.
    In that case, absolutely.

After all, wasn't The Beginning considered canon as well? And how many of us really needed that little story to make sense of TR9?
    I didn't read The Beginning and I still understood everything in the reboot, so I guess you have a point

... The poor writer didn't know what to write...
    That's no excuse, really.

"I'm going to make a new product!"
    "Awesome, what is it?"
    "I don't know yet, but it will be a thing!"

You either have a concept in your head to write about, or you're just finding a reason to make money or be part of someone else's work.
    signature image

But we don't know how much creative freedom they have with these projects since they are canon in CD's universe, CD could present to them a guideline of what they want from the story, what they want to happen and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by darksaiyan View Post
    You either have a concept in your head to write about, or you're just finding a reason to make money or be part of someone else's work.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by 220_Volts View Post
    But we don't know how much creative freedom they have with these projects since they are canon in CD's universe, CD could present to them a guideline of what they want from the story, what they want to happen and so on.
    But also this.

I'm confused

Rise of the tomb raider plot right there OP.

or you're just finding a reason to make money or be part of someone else's work.
    You think this doesn't happen nowadays?
    Raiding tombs since 2007. deviantART tumblr | N7
    signature image

You think this doesn't happen nowadays?
    Of course not, I just struggle to appreciate it.
    signature image

Of course not, I just struggle to appreciate it.
    So you're not a fan of the Gail Simone comics then, either?

Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

From the TR blog of tumblr:
    Details for the new Tomb Raider novel
    IGN ran an article about the recently announced novel, and there were some questions in the comments section that we wanted to answer. “Tomb Raider: The Ten Thousand Immortals” is a traditional novel, as opposed to a graphic novel, and it will become canon within the franchise. It takes place immediately after the events of the Tomb Raider 2013 game, and before the events of the Dark Horse comic series. They each cover a different part of Lara’s time and development before “Rise of the Tomb Raider” begins.

You can see the complete IGN article here:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/07/...ovel-announced
    The article itself is pretty barebones and doesn't state anything new, but hey, at least we have confirmation on where the novel takes place.

^So there's still hope Sam will die in the comics! Good to know.
    signature image

And in the same vein we're already spoiled in knowing Lara will suceed in her desperate quest to cure Sam's OD.

Sam was kinda off with Lara in the first issue of the comic. What with the events of the novel, then with the start of the nightmares, perhaps she's already fed up so that explains her attitude. I'm still gonna get the novel, just so I have the whole collection of the Reboot story.

I just hope the 2nd story arc of the comics leaves Sam out.

Quote Originally Posted by Rai View Post
    Sam was kinda off with Lara in the first issue of the comic. What with the events of the novel, then with the start of the nightmares, perhaps she's already fed up so that explains her attitude. I'm still gonna get the novel, just so I have the whole collection of the Reboot story.

I just hope the 2nd story arc of the comics leaves Sam out.
    Hmm, that's true actually! I always wondered why she was so angry with Lara so suddenly. D:

And yeah, I'm going to get it as well and read it because it's TR after all! All we can hope for is that she's not a damsel in the second arc. If she is, I think everyones going to flip.

could be an interesting read. especially since it will cannon with the next game. but sure takes out the story when it plays before the comics.
    well, still time till october.

@rai
    it was questionable why sam had a go at lara. maybe just fed up with the dreams she keeps having. thats at least my conclusion. but if the novel could give some sort of clarification, this would be nice.
    but then sam was pretty cheerfuller when she came back home and called lara babe. so she cant be mad at her.
    signature image

@angry Sam
    Yeah, I assumed it was because of the nightmares and being 'the morning grumps' if you know what I mean, rather than her actually being angry... The book might explain where the handprint came from though

Quote Originally Posted by a big house View Post
    @angry Sam
    Yeah, I assumed it was because of the nightmares and being 'the morning grumps' if you know what I mean, rather than her actually being angry... The book might explain where the handprint came from though
    true. because this was never addressed in the comic. not even lara reacted to it. in the latest issue i cant see the print on her arm anymore.
    good thing it will come out in october. gives me time to finish off reading the lord of the ring books. almost finished with part 2.
    signature image

A bit more insight on the novel from the authors' blog:

One of the things I studied at university besides English, was History, and this novel had a lot of archaeology in it, and a lot of stuff about myths and legends. There was just a touch of magic in there, and some fab locations to research, too.

I love a bit of action and adventure, and I can’t help getting involved with big characters, and this novel is full of that stuff. I also studied Fine Art, and there’s a smattering of that here on top of everything else, just for good measure.
    This was right up my alley.

Tomb Raider: The Ten Thousand Immortals is out in October from DK.
    I don't know if this helps any into easing anyone's mind who thought the plot was too Samsel centric and not adventure enough.

^ Like we always say, people tend to jump to conclusions way too fast xD I mean, it's a TR novel, not a romance novel, it's not Twilight The thing is, if Lara needed to rescue an old professor of hers or sth like that, it would be fine, but the moment Sam's name was heard, it's like you let Satan make devil babies with you, pure sin People tend to be really biased for no reason.

Instead of rejoicing we have some new TR "merchandise", we throw it under the bus so readily :| I've read a couple of videogame-based novels, and they are just that, narratives within the context of the game. A game that you don't get to play, but read, if you want to. It's simple as that.

And who knows, maybe it'll suck, maybe it'll be great, and maybe it'll be meh. But the thing is, no matter how you look at it, it's a wonderful thing to interest yourself with while waiting for RotTR
    Raiding tombs since 2007. deviantART tumblr | N7
    signature image

^It is great that we're getting more TR stuff, but people aren't "hating" for no reason. Sam has been the damsel 3 times now. In a row. Sam existing for the sole reason of being a plot device is getting very old.

Now that I think about it, perhaps this "toxic OD" is from Himiko. Maybe Sam received enough of Himiko's spirit to cause her damage since the ritual wasn't fully completed, that would make sense. And I'd be more keen to disregard the whole Samsel thing. If that is the case.

put it this way. at least lara doesnt have to save sam from some murderous cultist who are trying to kill her.
    no one? *crawls back to dark hole*

anyway, i think it will be something like the AC books. yes, the AC books are practically the whole story of the actual game written together and were written by someone else but it was good enough to read regardless. at least it integrated some elements which we saw in the next game like what happened to ezios girlfriend.

the TR book continues after the game, so this is not bad but i honestly dont expect a master piece. what i expect from the book is more explanation about the island and hopefully about the characters and the development of lara.
    signature image

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast