Thread: Custom Level FAQ

Default Custom Level FAQ

Q. What do I need in order to play a Tomb Raider custom level?
    A. You need the Tomb Raider Level Editor, as this contains the TR4 engine that runs the level(s)

Q. How do I set up a custom level?
    A. Usually, custom levels come with a readme file that contains all the relevant info. If it doesn't, or you can't understand the info, the following stages should help:

1. Download the custom level
    2. Using 'Winzip' (or other decompression software), un-zip the contents of the Zipfile.
    3. Files with the following names Script.dat, English.dat should be copied to the main TRLE directory i.e. C:\Program Files\Core Design\trle.
    4. Files with the following names *.TOM, *.CD, *.lar, *.SAM, *.sfx, *.SWD, *.txt, *.WAD (where '*' denotes level title) should be copied to C:\Program Files\Core Design\trle\graphics\wads.
    5. Any .WAV files that have a number in the title, should be copied to C:\Program Files\Core Design\trle\audio.
    6. Any .WAV files that have a name other than a number in the title, should be copied to C:\Program Files\Core Design\trle\sound\Samples.
    7. Any .TR4 file should be copied to C:\Program Files\Core Design\trle\data.
    8. If you have a TR4 file, the level will run once all files have been copied over, but if you have a .TOM file, you'll need to convert the level before you can play it, using the level converter found at C:\Program Files\Core Design\trle\tom2pc

Talking

Thanks dhama

I like to save my custom levels, I know there are some files in the trle folder that are not needed - is there a general rule of what you can delete from the trle folder, and still have the custom level run ???

So far, I'm pretty sure all the files in the data folder, except maybe uklogo.pak and title.tr4. Also, the Extra Textures, Manuals, maps - what else, to get a minimum size folder ???

Wink

Originally posted by JunoJIm
    I like to save my custom levels, I know there are some files in the trle folder that are not needed - is there a general rule of what you can delete from the trle folder, and still have the custom level run ???

So far, I'm pretty sure all the files in the data folder, except maybe uklogo.pak and title.tr4. Also, the Extra Textures, Manuals, maps - what else, to get a minimum size folder ???

Once the level is in TR4 format you don't really need the wad, tom file etc. for you to run the level again.
    But the only file that doesn't seem to be needed to run a level is Objects.h which is quite a small file anyway.

As a general rule you only need the TR4 file, the Script and English file (for that particular level) for the level to run, although if audio and/or sound effects were also present in the original download then they would have to be backed up as well.

I think it's probably best to just backup the original zip file of the level.

You're right - I had a hard time building them at first, but not a prob now, and the Zip file takes min space...

I just install another copy of the LE under a different name, and then load the custom level into it. It keeps me from having to remember which level has been modified. I guess it could be considered a waste of disk space, but I've still got 20 gigs left.......so it's not a problem.

TheBoo............and then do you uninstall the re-named le folder and install it again when you want to play another custom level?

Yes, it's very confusing to me.

Cool

Originally posted by bene
    TheBoo............and then do you uninstall the re-named le folder and install it again when you want to play another custom level?

By far the best way, is to install the level editor clean (that means only the files from the CD and not ones you've created) and then copy the *'revised wads' over the top of the original wads.
    When you've done this, copy all folders that live in the TRLE directory to a safe place on your hard disk (or burn them to a CD).
    Then each time you've finished a custom level, just copy all the files back. It's then ready for the next custom level without too much fuss.

* I don't know if later versions of the level editor come with the revised wads (wads that allow all of Lara's animations) or not, but if you have the originaly released level editor, you'll need the revised wads.

Originally posted by bene

@bene......I will uninstall the re-named LE folder if I think I won't play the custom level anymore.........but there are some I've had for months still on my hard drive (Like The Last Crusade, several of psiko's levels, and Data's Doomsday series). After using the program's uninstall option, I have to manually delete some folders to clean everything up.

To directly answer your question, yes, I uninstall the re-named LE folder when I'm done with it and install it again under a different name for a different game. As dhama says, you may need to download a copy of the updated wads and copy them over the original wads to get all of Lara's animations (I do).

If I lose some original Level Editor files due to replacing them with
    somebody's custom level files, I can always re-install the level editor to
    get them back, right?

Indeed you can

Thnaks GtheG!

I run XP and tr4 won't even install in XP, I have and played all the TRs but since installing XP I have only played AOD. How do the custom levels work with XP?

bothered.

Lightbulb

Sorry it took so long in answering bothered.

The Level editor and the TR4.exe run fine on my XP PC, so it may be down to your video card.

If you have a fairly recent video card, then I suggest updating the video card drivers as well as the latest DirectX drivers (make sure your video card is optimised for the version number of DirectX) and lastly, makes sure your sound card drivers are also compliant.

For patches... go to http://www.tombraiderchronicles.com
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Originally posted by dhama
    Sorry it took so long in answering bothered.
    6 months! Is this a record?
    Is bothered still with us?
    Was bothered ever able to play a custom level?

Stay tuned for the next episode in this continuing drama, available in September.

That's the trouble with sticky threads, they don't always catch your eye.. I look in this forum every day but didn't notice any change to the thread lol

kerryajs Guest

Default Still not sure what to do -Sorry!

Hi Dhama or anyone else who can help me,
    Sorry, but I still am not sure how to play. Where do I get the Level Editor from? I own TR 3 and The Last Revelation disks . Is it on these disks? Is the level editor similar to Darkloader needed to play Thief FM's ? Do I need the disks in the drive to play? Will all custom levels play with any TR original game? I have downloaded Crusade and Cleopatra's other Palace levels but cannot understand the instructions. Sorry to be a nuisance but I need very simple instructions to be able to proceed and I would like to play custom TR levels as I have found the Thief Fan Missions to be even better than the originals and would love to see what Tomb Raider fans can do.Kerry.

You should start a new thread instead of posting to an existing one. Especially a FAQ thread.
    Browse through the forum. There are lots of threads describing how to get started. If it isn't worth the time to look, it isn't worth the time to play.

Sorry if that sounds a little harsh.

You might also want to try the Tomb Raider Level Editor forum. This forum is for discussing custom levels, not how to use the Level Editor. The name can be a little bit confusing. But we are a confused bunch