Eidos Forums  

Go Back   Eidos Forums > Current Games > Thief > Thief General Discussion > Thief Technical Forum

Notices

Old 03-31-2014, 10:52 PM
New Player

Default The widespread save looping issue.

Has anyone heard anything about them addressing this? It's honestly kind of pathetic that something like this made it through the QA process as its happening to multiple people at multiple points in the game, it had to have happened at least once during the process of making the game. I just got hit with this after losing my progress through Chapter 5 earlier today, I was playing through Chapter 4 and upon completing the chapter it warped me back to the beginning. Then my manual save midway through glitched out and even loading that save, with a different time stamp simply loads me up to the beginning of the chapter. Now after loading up my save in The City just before the Chapter 4 mission also glitches, when I try to start that mission again it instead loads up Ector's voice box mission. This is insane, I worked in QA in the last couple of years, this is inexcusable and I honestly can't understand how this made it through. Eidos, your QA team sucked.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:16 PM
Gamer

I was afraid I was the only one experiencing this issue. It's happening to me right now after completing Chapter 5. Is there some sort of fix for this? What do you suggest I do? I don't have to re-play the whole game, do I?
Old 03-31-2014, 11:19 PM
New Player

I'm getting the same loop. I've completed Ector's job for the voice box, and when I hit A to continue, it shows that I completed everything and puts me right back at the beginning of the job. When I select 'go back to the city' and try to go to my client jobs, it still says it's not completed. When I attempt to do another client job or go to another part of the map where these jobs are, it puts me right back into Ector's job for the voice box. I about snapped the game in half I was so pissed off. How does this slip by QA? Unreal. I don't even want to play the game anymore because I can't progress any longer. Just terrible.

PS.
I'm on Chapter 6 with like 6 client jobs completed and over 14 hours of gameplay Niborius, I know the feeling.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:23 PM
New Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshenSS View Post
I'm getting the same loop. I've completed Ector's job for the voice box, and when I hit A to continue, it shows that I completed everything and puts me right back at the beginning of the job. When I select 'go back to the city' and try go to my client jobs, it still says it's not completed. When I attempt to do another client job or go to another part of the map where these jobs are, it puts me right back into Ector's job for the voice box. I about snapped the game in half I was so pissed off. How does this slip by QA? Unreal. I don't even want to play the game anymore because I can't progress any longer. Just terrible.
What's happening to you is exactly what's happening to me. Except it's looping me to Ector's first job where you steal the hand. If I complete it and press continue, it just starts the job over. If I return to the city and try to start other jobs, it still returns me to the start of Ector's job.

My autosave file seems to be stuck. Manual saves do nothing at this point. I'm hoping it's an easy fix, because all the progress seems to be intact.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:24 PM
Gamer

Has this bug always been in the game? Or only since a recent update? I just hope I can continue my progress soon.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:34 PM
New Player

It seems as though everyone is running into this problem simultaneously. That would lead me to believe that this is a recent update issue, but might have something to do with this point in the game. I too hope they fix this as I do want to continue playing it. If they don't, I'll just end up selling it and get Elder Scrolls.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:41 PM
New Player

Just tried playing offline, setting my date back to the 31st (Hawaii time) and manually saving outside of the client job I was stuck in.

Didn't work, loaded me back into the client job when I tried to load a new area.

What's weird is that it seems to be saving other things inside of the game. Like I "returned to the city" then killed some guards and collected a plaque before getting loaded in again. The bodies were still there and the collectible was still in my possession.

Effing weird bug...
Old 03-31-2014, 11:46 PM
New Player

Hello there

I've got the same problem with reloads and savegames.

I finished chapter 5 and I'm now in the middle of the Bank Heist quest. But I have lost the possibility to save the game. Everytime I try to save the game a wrong time and hour is indicated in the savegame slots (always the same time and hour on the 30th of March, I didn't play on the 31th) and the game is not saved. It is now April the 1st and Everytime I try to load a savegame I'm sent back to the last autosave point. If I try to load another chapter I can't end the chapter and I'm sent back at a previous point. So I can't resume playing.

I'm in France but play with a UK bought version of the game on Windows 7.

Such bugs are unforgivable. This game suffers from a poor framerate and now this...
I wonder what I have paid for. I like the game very much though, I'm really disappointed.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:48 PM
New Player

Yeah, weird and extremely frustrating. It makes me not want to play the game any longer. I guess I just get AC:Blackflag after selling this. Heard it was better anyway. Disappointing.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:53 PM
New Player

I have the save-game bug too. I guess everyone who bought the game has it by now. Eidos/Square Enix should apologize to us all and fix the game. Or give us our €$ back. I would prefer both, actually.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:55 PM
New Player

Anyone notice that everyone now has 999999 posts and is labeled a "Spammer" ?

wtf is eidos doing?

Anyway, it seems to be reverting the the last autosave that you had prior to the 1st. I had an autosave a few minutes before the 1st, and that's the save it keeps reverting me to. Regardless of manual saves, which show the correct time.

So your latest autosave before the first may have been on the 30th. Any new autosave after the 1st seems to be being disregarded and you just get sent back the whatever you were doing during the previous autosave. That's why everyone is getting a different chapter, job, etc.
Old 04-01-2014, 12:04 AM
New Player

Reverting to the last autosave prior to April 1? Hmm, doesn't seem to be the case for everyone. Then the same game would be loaded for everyone, no matter what save slot we use. Didn't happen to me, every save slot loaded a different (but still wrong) save. Also, the game keeps sending us to different parts of the map, or just reloads the area we were about to leave.
If this is some Eidos employees idea of a joke, it's in really bad taste. Lots of people have probably allready deleted most of their saves, thinking them to be corrupt.
Old 04-01-2014, 12:26 AM
New Player

They wouldn't dare pull a "joke" like this, would they? I can't advance in the game...it has to be a bug of some sort. Something in the coding that somehow correlates to this date.
Old 04-01-2014, 12:37 AM
New Player

Again, same here. I submitted a news tip to Game Informer, so perhaps they will address it come morning and bring some attention to the problem. I somehow believe SE / Eidos already knows about the issue and is probably trying to fix it. My guess is someone in the company put this into the code and this could cause major problems. As of now the issues I'm encountering are:

1. Can't progress past the job / mission I am on (Ector job 2 "Silence is Golden")

2. Can't save properly. It just repeats the save information I had previously from my last play no matter where I am.

3. Universal across all save points.
Old 04-01-2014, 01:08 AM
Gamer

What happens if you delete the autosave, replay the mission and complete it then. It won't have an autosave to go back to? At least, not the one from previous month
Old 04-01-2014, 01:51 AM
New Player

Guys, any idea why Eidos has not responded? People are getting real pissed off. Some bugs can be forgiven, but cruel game-breaking ones such as this happening in a AAA game is unforgivable and unacceptable.

If this was done by a disgruntled coder who wanted to get back at Eidos, I say shame on you. You deserve to be shunned for life.

If anyone has any idea to recover the save files and at least preserve them for the time being, please do share!
Old 04-01-2014, 02:01 AM
New Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by himmatsj View Post
If anyone has any idea to recover the save files and at least preserve them for the time being, please do share!
The save files can be found in program files / Steam / User data

then you have to find which one of the folders with numbers is the Thief folder, the Thief folder contains another folder named "remote", the save files are there. These seem to be links, I don't know if it's really of any use to copy them.

To find them more easily save files are presented this way :

thief1bbq.sav
thief1c.sav
thief1i.sav
thief1r.sa

etc.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:57 AM
New Player

Steam/userdata/239160/remote is the folder where the Thief save-files are.
Old 04-01-2014, 03:14 AM
New Player

Sadly, my Xbox One version of Thief is also afflicted by the gloom...

Garrett has just returned from the Asylum and is back in his clock tower. However, when I want to leave, it sends me back to the start of the 'level', as far as you can call the clock tower that.

I've tried saving, but when it loops it refuses to pick up my manual save. I can also not load my manual save myself, it will always send me back to where I was.

I really hope they will fix this soon, because I downright refuse to go through the Asylum again......
Old 04-01-2014, 03:21 AM
Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xinouth View Post
Because I downright refuse to go through the Asylum again......
I can relate
Old 04-01-2014, 03:29 AM
New Player

PC version here. Didn't have 99 saves when the bug hit - less than a dozen slots. Any solutions yet? I'm not going to play through the last 16hrs again.
Old 04-01-2014, 03:32 AM
New Player

Well I must say this is truly disappointing. I'm running into the same bug (first leading up to Chapter 3), then when I tried an earlier save it just keeps looping at the Clock Tower at the start of Chapter 2.

I'm running the Xbox One version of the game.

How can a huge bug like this get past Q&A?
Old 04-01-2014, 03:32 AM
New Player

This is clearly not isolated to any particular platform. People are reporting it on PC, Xbox 360 and PS4. There's no workaround apparently. This is pretty disgraceful.
Old 04-01-2014, 03:36 AM
New Player

At least, give the employee who came us with this some credit. Must be one of the disgruntled ones who were laid off recently.
Old 04-01-2014, 03:38 AM
New Player

There is a fix for PC users if you have Windows 7. Adjust the date to April 2, and make sure to uncheck the sync with internet box in the third tab of the clock / date menu. This should allow you to continue. For others, try setting your time ahead to tomorrow and see if it helps. I have confirmed this works for Windows 7 at the very least.