Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Lockdown Mission Playthrough - No Comments, No Edits, Just Gameplay

Yeah, from what we've heard and seen, there's a bit or that. It's probably partly needed because of technology (harder to have one huge seamless level), and party because of the way they designed the objective completion system... -- there are individual steps toward the goal and they get marked as completed or cancelled as you go along, for example. Even though there are multiple paths you can take, they seem to kind've want you to have an overall linear progression through each level.

Certain pathways you choose even become points-of-no-return; like if you use a rope arrow to enter a window up high, you might drop down 10-15 feet through that window and not be able to get back to try one of the other paths you could've taken before the rope arrow. (That's how it seemed in one of the videos anyways.)

Quote Originally Posted by CyberP View Post
    Oh dear, this is a constant thing? Surely not? We need a couple of truly open missions at least.
    Word on the block indeed is that you can't return through a loading zone once passed. City-levels being the exception obviously, which presumably also explains why those will be the TDS type. If anyone knows for sure, they'll chime in, I bet.

No, his post indicates he'll take it reluctantly, because other than playing the classics to death there is little else that offers first person stealth, just everything in the Looking Glass lineage and a couple others.
    Silence, you. I'll take single sentences out of context and re-purpose them as sound-bytes if I damn well please.

Quote Originally Posted by IHaveReturned View Post
    Word on the block indeed is that you can't return through a loading zone once passed (...) if anyone knows for sure, they'll chime in, I bet.
    I'd have to check, but I think The Tingler mentioned it in his thread.

Quote Originally Posted by IHaveReturned View Post
    Word on the block indeed is that you can't return through a loading zone once passed. City-levels being the exception obviously, which presumably also explains why they will be the TDS type. If anyone knows for sure, they'll chime in, I better
    ALL loading screens besides those in the HUB, if any? Tut tut. The occasional point of no return is acceptable but all sounds bad, if true. I hope the level design is a little better, more organic-feeling than Human Revolution's. At least Human revolution's allowed free jumping though/was designed for it, and it had super Jump. EM team 2 probably bunny-hopped around everywhere energizer bunny style in DX:HR so thought it would be best to forcefully restrict themselves and everyone else with Thief.

Silence, you. I'll take single sentences out of context and re-purpose them as sound-bytes if I damn well please.

Quote Originally Posted by New Horizon View Post
    Didn't like the 'Hey, look over here zoom ins'.
    Yeah, this. There are other ways to do storytelling or point out important landmarks (These are just a few examples for showing off/ introducing landmarks: objective markers (optional), Garrett-Speak,(optional), or pre-begin briefing)). Sigh, another thing to whine about
    Simulation/immersion fail.
    Last edited by CyberP; 02-15-2014 at 01:15 AM.

looks really nice but a few minor things

the fog its too much especially indoors .

the music when guards are alerted breaks immersion

they dont say taffer anymore ?

Quote Originally Posted by siranderson View Post
    they dont say taffer anymore ?
    Sure they do. It's just mangled beyond recognition, which is some feat for a word that versatile.

Better than the previous ones. But still too damn bright, there's practically no darkness.

And ditto about the awful writing and voice-acting.

My mouth dropped to the floor when Garrett went into the alley and the wub wub music kicked in.It just tied into the atmosphere and felt perfect for the situation where you could here the two guards joking around.That and I loved the way Garrett was just stealing everything under that guards nose in the store.I'm so excited for this game!!! well done Eidos!!!
    signature image
    I am the shadow on the wall.

Looks great, bring on the 28/02! Cannot wait!

And music (not the "musical" one, with beats, but those at sneaking points) was terrible, yeah it was not out of context, but was jumping in your face, without nice fade-out at all (jumping and disappearing), with no ambient music at all... And lacking any ambient sound - the City has no sound? No people live there, no animals, no birds, only rain and it's all?

Just noticed a transparent rectangle below the light gem, health and focus meter. Doesn't look intentional since it's only visible on lit backgrounds.

Also the poor guard doesn't even notice the jewellery getting stolen. He must be partrolling this circle for hours, no way he would see them missing if he stops right in front of them.

But yea, this is the best available walkthrough of Thief so far. Good job!

Ah, this is what we played back in January!

I'm a big fan of ditching commentary. This video gives a great feel for what it's like playing it.
    signature image
    Something something, death and taxes. Confucius.

For me one of the most memorable elements of Thief was the freedom of exploraton (as a consequence of interesting level design). Here's what we have in the first chapter of the game:

Large map here.

I might be wrong, but the level design here seems pretty linear. If there's no connection between the area of the second cutscene and the area of the final cutscene, it looks like there is no other route to the clocktower.

I really do hope I am wrong.
    Try my Thief 2 fan mission Old Comrades, Old Debts.
    signature image

I think I took some different routes: for example, I seem to remember entering the jewelers very differently.

In substance it was the same though. This is designed as such because of the nature of what is going on in the story at this point. It's transitional, Garrett is just trying to get from A to B whilst taking some opportunities to nick stuff along the way. There will be different sorts of level design. Look at Northcrest Manor- the level design felt far from linear.
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by spyhopping View Post
    This video gives a great feel for what it's like playing it.
    This is all I was waiting for... to know I can really "feel" this game. It seems I can. Thank you, EM.
    Beautiful playthrough. I'm in awe and can't wait to play.
    signature image
    You are only minimally modified. Omar can help you correct this...

Quote Originally Posted by DarknessFalls View Post
    Looked pretty good! The same criticisms still apply for me, though (i.e., wish some specific things were different). And the music that kicks in when AI are alert or when taking one down is still jarring, unnecessary, and highly undesirable And the dubstep that kicks in toward the end seems out-of-place, non-immersive, and inappropriate for a Thief game.

Romano's voice acting is decent, but it is so not Stephen Russell. Because his voice is so generic, for lack of better word, sometimes guards will talk and I think it's Garrett... and vice versa. In other words, I sometimes don't realize it's Garrett's inner-monologue until a few words in.
    There is no dubstep in the video. Yes, there is electronic music, but it is not dubstep imo. I like electronic music, but music in the video is off.

Quote Originally Posted by spyhopping View Post
    It's transitional, Garrett is just trying to get from A to B whilst taking some opportunities to nick stuff along the way.
    Well, you could get from point A to point B taking at least 3 different routes... if Thief level designer took some advantage of these blank lower left and upper right parts of the map. There were so many opportunites here! Right now it seems Garrett is traversing a tunnel rather than a city.
    signature image

^ I guess they have to decide where to put their resources when designing these environments. I'm quite happy to accept a few more linear sections of the game which take you from A to B, whilst they inject more openness and exploration into core chapters of the game.

Just finished watching it, and whilst I remember really enjoying an occasion of the music changing to something more energetic, I really didn't recall the music toward the end coming on so suddenly!

Not too bothered with it though, and I can't even remember it, so it must not have bothered me much when I was playing it either. Changes the tone a little bit after all the quiet, perhaps encouraging you to vary up the pace a little bit.

Yeah, an excellent video. I can't wait to draw the curtains on one of my days off and get my teeth into this. I'm glad everyone has got to experience this part of the game now too. Thanks for that Freyja!
    signature image

It seems like I have a problem. I got motion-sick just from watching the video. -_-"

Having so much guards in a merchant's house is strange. I can understand when there is private guard in a noble's house, but for a merchant to have so many guards patrolling rooms of the house where he lives... And the guards don't seem too professional or eager to work - one is even contemplating raping (?) the house owner's wife.

Also the lightning strikes are so often that outdoors stealth becomes cover-based. It's an interesting effect, but it seems to me that it could be more interesting if it happend with bigger intervals, so that the player could prepare and use the change in environment - disappearance of shadows, but, instead, muffling of all sounds.

Shown linearity is acceptable in this case, if we compare this level to original trilogy - they had similarly linear level design(when you follow someone in the City; or life of the party level). If we don't compare, then goal of this mission really suits linearity - you're running by design, and you're just getting from A to B.

Verdict: Accepted

Quote Originally Posted by deadoptimist View Post
    It seems like I have a problem. I got motion-sick just from watching the video. -_-"

Having so much guards in a merchant's house is strange. I can understand when there is private guard in a noble's house, but for a merchant to have so many guards patrolling rooms of the house where he lives... And the guards don't seem too professional or eager to work - one is even contemplating raping (?) the house owner's wife.

Also the lightning strikes are so often that outdoors stealth becomes cover-based. It's an interesting effect, but it seems to me that it could be more interesting if it happend with bigger intervals, so that the player could prepare and use the change in environment - disappearance of shadows, but, instead, muffling of all sounds.
    hah, agree with this gal
    Last edited by janiashvili; 02-15-2014 at 06:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by deadoptimist View Post
    This is actually a really interesting idea. If they also added a delay between the lightning and thunder, then players would have to count the seconds after the flash before doing something noisy, but the window of opportunity would be small enough to encourage players to be patient and precise.

Quote Originally Posted by janiashvili View Post
    hah, agree with this guy.
    *Gal .

I was going to make a new thread, but I might as well ask here: will modding be a possibility?

Quote Originally Posted by janiashvili View Post
    Shown linearity is acceptable in this case, if we compare this level to original trilogy - they had similarly linear level design(when you follow someone in the City; or life of the party level).
    Well... no.

signature image

Quote Originally Posted by Bukary View Post
    Well... no.

And that was "open" with usually closed gates.

Don't say Life of the Party level wasn't linear.. It had 2 intersecting
    Last edited by janiashvili; 02-15-2014 at 07:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by InDIGnation View Post
    This is actually a really interesting idea. If they also added a delay between the lightning and thunder, then players would have to count the seconds after the flash before doing something noisy, but the window of opportunity would be small enough to encourage players to be patient and precise.
    I remember how nervous I felt during the Overlook Mansion mission in TDS, when the storm started. It was a great moment, though, as far as I remember, it didn't affect the gameplay much (but well, Garrett was indoors).

I was surprised how Lockdown mission played since it is so early in the game. One would expect the first mission after the tutorial to capitalize on the light and darkness mechanic and missions with such things as constant change of light and sound qualities to show up later in the game.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast