Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Where would you like Lara to visit next?

Default Where would you like Lara to visit next?

This is an informal* thread for discussions on where you would like to see Lara travel to in future games.

Is there a place Lara has never visited before and you think it would make for a good setting for a TR game? Been on vacation to some exotic place and you'd like to see it in a future TR game?

Or would you like Lara to re-visit one of her past adventures (with a twist)? Peru? India? Antarctica? London?

Share here what your favourite location ideas are and why you think it would be a good setting!

*This is not an "official" thread, like the official TR10 wishlist. People should not expect the devs to use this thread as a reference to see what locations are popular. Most likely, they'll want to take ownership of the next TR game(s) and write the stories entirely themselves. Just to keep in mind, folks

Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

Australia!
    If you are reading this signature, you have just wasted 3 seconds of your life

Why Australia? And where, exactly?

Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

South murricaa, andddd mmm, mebee Peru again? Yeeh.
    signature image

Okay, good. I consider revisiting Egypt, Peru, Greece and Yucatan all good options because the Egyptian and Mayan and other such civilisations are always good to explore.

But to have some little more original places I would be thinking of the following:

- Mesopotamia already covered here:
    - Venezuelan table mountain in Conan Doyle style: here:

- Carthago: maybe you've heard of Hannibal Barcas, the general who at one point almost destroyed the Roman empire before it started: he was from the city of Carthago which is close to modern day Tunis in Tunisia.
    It was founded by Phoenician colonists from the city of Tyre in modern day Libanon. According to myth their leader was queen Dido, who escaped the city from her tyrannical brother to establish a new city in Africa. There's a very long story connected to it, but you'll have to google that for yourself...
    The Carthaginians explored the African coast, sailing as far as modern day Cameroon and probably discovered big black apes that they called gorilla's. They used elephants as tanks in battle. The Spanish city of Barcelona was founded by the Barcas family and the mayonnaise is indirectly named after the Carthaginian general Mago...

So why would Carthago be a suitable candidate? Well it's a civilisation that is not explored all that well in popular culture, Crystal D may like the story about queen Dido, and the Carthaginians were known for sacrificing children to their god Baal-Hammon by throwing them into a fire. Such morbid things are always hot in videogames Historians are more and more coming to the conclusion that this child sacrificing thing was just malicious propaganda from the Romans, but that's just details Anyway: very little is actually known about the history of Carthago, as the Romans burned the city to the ground and all the libraries with it. So there's a lot of room for imagination here.

This is what the city of Carthago looks like today:

This is what it is supposed to have looked like:

And as you can see, the outlines of the famous harbour of Carthago are still visible today:

- So there is a magnificent celtic legend from modern day Wales that is called Kulhwch and Olwen: in a nutshell it goes like this: Kulhwch is the cousin of king Arthur and he falls in love with Olwen, the daughter of a giant. The giant will only allow Kulhwch to marry her if he completes a number of impossible tasks. These include stealing a famous sword from another giant, killing a giant boar, saving a guy from prison, killing a witch, shaving off the beard of a guy in the forest, finding the oldest creature that exists and so on. All these things he accomplishes with the help of king Arthur and his knights.

So why is that good for a videogame? Because we haven't delved that much into celtic culture al that much already and the story is about someone who has to preform one task after the other, kinda like a videogame And in the story he does all kinds of fun things like riding on a giant salmon, killing giants, traveling through the whole of Britain, talking to animals and killing bad guys. There's a lot of special artifacts that have to be found by the hero, so that's typically up to Lara's alley...

This is a page from a fantastic French comic book that tells the legend: (but I don't understand why it won't shrink though I am using the thumb tags...)

(click image to enlarge)

- On the Island of Pohnpei in the South Pacific there stands the kind of megalithic city that one would expect in Mexico or Thailand, but not on a piece of land of 20 by 25 kilometers in the middle of the ocean. It's called Nan Madol and as always there is a lot of mystery surrounding the place. When people see such megalithic buildings they automatically start to think of aliens...

But basically it's everything you can wish for for an adventure story on a tropical Island: mysterious ruins, jungle and scuba diving possibilities nearby. Sadly the civilisation has died a long time ago so we'll just have to imagine the savage cannibals:

lol, why not. australia is big enough for lots of legends and mysteries. in australia i would say the red rock or even in some jungle near darwin in the NT (since i lived there before moving back to hong kong).

new zealand would be nice. and maybe as a little joke, come in to hobbiton

maybe even in switzerland in the alps. that would be cool.

thats it for the moment.
    signature image

PLYMOUTH!

The UK one of course...

i have another one:
    HONG KONG

she can discover some hidden tomb from the dynasty under the city.
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by Metalrocks View Post
    i have another one:
    HONG KONG

she can discover some hidden tomb from the dynasty under the city.
    I would love for Lara to run into Wei Shen

Don't take this the wrong way, but I find most of the answers here a little disappointing... a little more explanation as to why this or that place would be a good location would be nice, as is asked in the OP...

Anyway... I got another idea... Call me crazy but I can picture it before me: Lara going to space.

Imagine: during the cold war the Russians were experimenting with an ancient magic artifact to produce energy. Kinda like in level 5 of Legend. The artifact was broken into pieces to produce energy for various machines, but eventually it went wrong, all hell broke loose and they decided to destroy everything.
    Lara needs a piece of that artifact and the only one still in existence is the one that was send to Mars to power the landing probe of the Mars 3 spacecraft or whatever.
    So, she'll have to sneak into a NASA base to 'borrow' an experimental antimatter-fuelled spacecraft to fly to Mars and retrieve it

I know it's crazy, but you got to think outside the box if you want to come up with something original, that's certainly what Infinity Ward did when having gunfights in space in COD Ghosts, and that was arguably the best part of that silly game. And hey, would it not be fitting for Lara to be the first human on Mars?

What about the whole Croatoa thing at the end of TR9? Are we to believe that that is where Lara is headed to next(So that would be either North Carolina or Virginia)?

Quote Originally Posted by Driber View Post
    Why Australia? And where, exactly?
    Well she's never been here before! Closest Lara's been here is the South Pacific in TR3.

Whereabouts in Australia, Uluru, The Great Barrier Reef, The Blue Mountains, we got plenty more.
    If you are reading this signature, you have just wasted 3 seconds of your life

I would love for Lara to run into Wei Shen

had to look up who that is. never played sleeping dogs.

@jurre
    that sure is an crazy idea. but it also reminded me of doom 3. plus i think its too science fiction for laras job. but thats just opinion.
    dont get me wrong, im not saying your idea blows, just not suitable to lara. thats all.
    signature image

^ Well... On second thought you're right... It is too far fetched for reboot Lara. I could potentially see it work for Legend era Lara though...

i would personally love to see a lot of tropical
    levels in the future games. maybe Brazil or Hawaii?
    there are loads of wild creatures that can fill in as foes for Lara
    in Brazil. even if she only visits these places for missions as opposed
    to tomb exploration. i think it could be pretty interesting visually
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by Murphdawg1 View Post
    What about the whole Croatoa thing at the end of TR9? Are we to believe that that is where Lara is headed to next(So that would be either North Carolina or Virginia)?
    We've got a dedicated thread on that topic:

TR10 speculation thread / Deciphering Lara's Journal

This thread is just for discussing ideas about where Lara could go in a next adventure, regardless of where TR10 takes place

Quote Originally Posted by Metalrocks View Post

had to look up who that is. never played sleeping dogs.
    Thanks for sharing that. lol

Thanks for sharing that. lol
    why do i have the feeling you will use this against me
    signature image

lmao

not how I meant that, no

Joke Answer: The labyrinth of dungeons, catacombs and wine cellars underneath Croft Manor.

Serious answer: The location would have to be somewhere lawless, corrupt, or in otherwise severe political turmoil or upheaval, generally anywhere the British Foreign and Commonwealth Office says is inadvisable to visit, just so it would seem plausible that Lara and her enemies can get away with a shootout (think the situation of TR9 vs TR3 or AOD which take place in the two biggest cities in Europe).

I'm thinking of two regions specifically: parts of Latin America affected severely by drug cartels - this can fit Lara in as more as a backpacker, and allows for varied locations including lush, dangerous, jungles, mountains, favelas, etc as well as availability of firearms, rich historical civilisations to explore, and myths to venture into, as well as a situation where Lara can't trust anyone, even the local police.

The other location is the often suggested Middle East/Mesopotamia - the Cradle of Civilisation - Hanging Gardens, Tower of Babels, and Edens to hunt. Lara could start out there in a purely archaeological role - maybe she has since got a job as an archelogist with the British Museum - this could allow for secondary characters made up of the dig team, as well as helpful locals, but there is also the element of ever present political discontent.

Id like to see Lara go to Atlantis and discover a special treasure and steal it from them. I also like the idea of lara discovering maybe a pyramid in the jungle then getting special treasure that lets her go to another time period, so shes not just a Tomb Raider, but a Time Raider, hunting treasure throughout time.
    Also high up on a mountain to one of those crazy temples in India where she fights buddhas and scary stone statues with lots of arms. Its fun when Lara has adventures in wild and exotic places, Id like to see a return to that in future games.

Quote Originally Posted by Thetford View Post
    Joke Answer: The labyrinth of dungeons, catacombs and wine cellars underneath Croft Manor.

Serious answer: The location would have to be somewhere lawless, corrupt, or in otherwise severe political turmoil or upheaval, generally anywhere the British Foreign and Commonwealth Office says is inadvisable to visit, just so it would seem plausible that Lara and her enemies can get away with a shootout (think the situation of TR9 vs TR3 or AOD which take place in the two biggest cities in Europe).

I'm thinking of two regions specifically: parts of Latin America affected severely by drug cartels - this can fit Lara in as more as a backpacker, and allows for varied locations including lush, dangerous, jungles, mountains, favelas, etc as well as availability of firearms, rich historical civilisations to explore, and myths to venture into, as well as a situation where Lara can't trust anyone, even the local police.

The other location is the often suggested Middle East/Mesopotamia - the Cradle of Civilisation - Hanging Gardens, Tower of Babels, and Edens to hunt. Lara could start out there in a purely archaeological role - maybe she has since got a job as an archelogist with the British Museum - this could allow for secondary characters made up of the dig team, as well as helpful locals, but there is also the element of ever present political discontent.
    I really like these suggestions!!!
    signature image

lmao

not how I meant that, no
    oh, so please clarify
    signature image

I would love her to go back to Ireland, but to make it more realistic... The last version of Ireland was very... unrealistic and creepy, but it fitted at the time. But I want her to explore some of the rich history, and also some of the beautiful scenes.
    signature image

Australia
    • exploration of aboriginal culture – specifically, astronomy, sandpainting art and the concept of the Dreamtime and how they might all relate to one another

• I've always had the headcannon that Winston the Butler was a badass from Australia who Lara befriended and later hired on as her butler-of-many-skills to get him out of trouble. Who else taught Lara how to be a motorcycle evel knievel or to tangle with the crocs? It's gotta be Winston.

Canada
    • I don't believe Lara has been over on this side of the pond much asides from Nevada in TR3

• arctic circle shenanigans

• scenery - aurora borealis levels anyone?

Eastern Europe
    • I don't know much about this area of the world and it would be fun to learn about it in the context of a TR game

• lots of different mythologies – hungarian, slavic, romanian, tatar, gypsy, dracula lol

Africa
    • been to Egypt but there's a lot more to see

• Saharan rock art

• Olduvai Gorge – there's our paeloanthropological T-rex connection

• it's always been an archaeological hot spot...
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by AireTam View Post
    Canada
    • I don't believe Lara has been over on this side of the pond much asides from Nevada in TR3
    Only if the pond in question is the Gulf of Mexico as she has been to South-America numerous times Anyway, I believe in a Canadian adventure sasquatches are a must... And yowies in an Australian adventure...
    Quote Originally Posted by AireTam View Post
    • scenery - aurora borealis levels anyone?
    Yeah, me! I mean, good idea!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast