Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Where would you like Lara to visit next?

Quote Originally Posted by BridgetFisher View Post
    These places are all so interesting. How come developers in general or with specifically Tomb Raider they dont make more dlc? That should mean more money? Do developers just get bored and move on to the next one is that why? its strange I always thought.
    1) Maybe they don't have enough time ( especially in rottr with the exclusivity deal )
    2) More maps and dlc = more money to develop ( at least I think so )
    3) They're bored !!!
    "Death by irony is always painful...amateurs" ~ Lara Croft 2006

Quote Originally Posted by BridgetFisher View Post
    These places are all so interesting. How come developers in general or with specifically Tomb Raider they dont make more dlc? That should mean more money? Do developers just get bored and move on to the next one is that why? its strange I always thought.
    I don't know as for other games, but in the case of the latest TR, there was no story DLC because the devs didn't want the players to feel that the game itself was "unfinished" or "not whole".

It was covered in one of the official FAQs.

Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by CroftManiac View Post
    1) Maybe they don't have enough time ( especially in rottr with the exclusivity deal )
    2) More maps and dlc = more money to develop ( at least I think so )
    3) They're bored !!!
    I kinda figure sure more money, but it cant be that much more right? I mean they already payed for the engine, shaders, all the other stuff, so why not use it to make more money? More money is usually good?

Quote Originally Posted by Driber View Post
    I don't know as for other games, but in the case of the latest TR, there was no story DLC because the devs didn't want the players to feel that the game itself was "unfinished" or "not whole".

It was covered in one of the official FAQs.
    That is true, alot of gamers I see feel that way when a game comes out and DLC is either planned or available at launch, gamers feel jipped that it isnt included in the base game.

If it comes out later though actually released later that would be fun if they kept making it, Gearbox pulls off a nice balance of that pretty well with the Borderlands games, but it is a tricky tightrope between launch DLC and just making stuff to extend the longevity of the game. With TR not having mod support for a modern PC game usually that is very welcome I think among gamers when a game is good we cant get enough of it?

Quote Originally Posted by Jurre View Post
    Okay, good. I consider revisiting Egypt, Peru, Greece and Yucatan all good options because the Egyptian and Mayan and other such civilisations are always good to explore.

But to have some little more original places I would be thinking of the following:

- Mesopotamia already covered here:
    - Venezuelan table mountain in Conan Doyle style: here:

- Carthago: maybe you've heard of Hannibal Barcas, the general who at one point almost destroyed the Roman empire before it started: he was from the city of Carthago which is close to modern day Tunis in Tunisia.
    It was founded by Phoenician colonists from the city of Tyre in modern day Libanon. According to myth their leader was queen Dido, who escaped the city from her tyrannical brother to establish a new city in Africa. There's a very long story connected to it, but you'll have to google that for yourself...
    The Carthaginians explored the African coast, sailing as far as modern day Cameroon and probably discovered big black apes that they called gorilla's. They used elephants as tanks in battle. The Spanish city of Barcelona was founded by the Barcas family and the mayonnaise is indirectly named after the Carthaginian general Mago...

So why would Carthago be a suitable candidate? Well it's a civilisation that is not explored all that well in popular culture, Crystal D may like the story about queen Dido, and the Carthaginians were known for sacrificing children to their god Baal-Hammon by throwing them into a fire. Such morbid things are always hot in videogames Historians are more and more coming to the conclusion that this child sacrificing thing was just malicious propaganda from the Romans, but that's just details Anyway: very little is actually known about the history of Carthago, as the Romans burned the city to the ground and all the libraries with it. So there's a lot of room for imagination here.

This is what the city of Carthago looks like today:

This is what it is supposed to have looked like:

And as you can see, the outlines of the famous harbour of Carthago are still visible today:

- So there is a magnificent celtic legend from modern day Wales that is called Kulhwch and Olwen: in a nutshell it goes like this: Kulhwch is the cousin of king Arthur and he falls in love with Olwen, the daughter of a giant. The giant will only allow Kulhwch to marry her if he completes a number of impossible tasks. These include stealing a famous sword from another giant, killing a giant boar, saving a guy from prison, killing a witch, shaving off the beard of a guy in the forest, finding the oldest creature that exists and so on. All these things he accomplishes with the help of king Arthur and his knights.

So why is that good for a videogame? Because we haven't delved that much into celtic culture al that much already and the story is about someone who has to preform one task after the other, kinda like a videogame And in the story he does all kinds of fun things like riding on a giant salmon, killing giants, traveling through the whole of Britain, talking to animals and killing bad guys. There's a lot of special artifacts that have to be found by the hero, so that's typically up to Lara's alley...

This is a page from a fantastic French comic book that tells the legend: (but I don't understand why it won't shrink though I am using the thumb tags...)

(click image to enlarge)

- On the Island of Pohnpei in the South Pacific there stands the kind of megalithic city that one would expect in Mexico or Thailand, but not on a piece of land of 20 by 25 kilometers in the middle of the ocean. It's called Nan Madol and as always there is a lot of mystery surrounding the place. When people see such megalithic buildings they automatically start to think of aliens...

But basically it's everything you can wish for for an adventure story on a tropical Island: mysterious ruins, jungle and scuba diving possibilities nearby. Sadly the civilisation has died a long time ago so we'll just have to imagine the savage cannibals:

This actually seems kinda interesting!!! I really like how Crystal D made me look up stuff on Yamatai.

Bringing the unknown to mainstream.

But that circular landmass reminds me of the theories of Atlantis though.

(click image to enlarge)
    Single, you want somethin?

(click image to enlarge)

(click image to enlarge)

Earth is an extraordinary place!!

(click image to enlarge)

(click image to enlarge)

Amazing places

Quote Originally Posted by CroftManiac View Post
    Earth is an extraordinary place!!
    That's for sure!

Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

Did you know that a Greek tomb was found in Amphipolis two weeks ago?? Two weeks ago..... I mean

(click image to enlarge)

It is said that someone attempted to raid the tomb . Maybe it was Lara.....
    Last edited by CroftManiac; 09-13-2014 at 10:03 AM.

Full text:

Incredible as it may seem, it has been confirmed that the Greek tomb found in Amphipolis this week was indeed raided by British archaeologist and globetrotter, Lady Lara Croft of Surrey, England.

Official reports originally stated that it was believed that someone attempted to raid the newfound tomb and new evidence that surfaced highlights Ms. Croft as the daring denizen.

Local police state that witnesses' descriptions match Croft's profile, supported by evidence of her presence, due to 9x19mm Parabellum bullet casings found littered about the site, which is the same ammunition used in the Heckler & Koch USP Match handgun, of which Croft is well known for dual-wielding.

Further evidence supports her presence as there was no climbing gear or any signs of puncture in the tomb's walls or crevices, indicating that the intruder did in fact free-climb and traverse throughout the site. Supporting this was the fact that there were too many tight spaces, devious traps and snares throughout that no man or woman could have manoeuvred but Croft herself.

We'll be following this story as it develops. As of now, no missing artefacts have been confirmed nor denied.
    "Did somebody say 'vodka?'"
    signature imagesignature image

Quote Originally Posted by Valenka View Post

Full text:
    Oh , I wish I could believe this!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle Croft View Post
    This actually seems kinda interesting!!! I really like how Crystal D made me look up stuff on Yamatai.

Bringing the unknown to mainstream.
    Always a delight to meet someone who's fascinated by ancient history

@Valenka, wait wait wait. Is that like a fake newspaper or something? Is this a weird way for CD to promote the game? Or some made up story by the newspaper itself just for fun? I'm confused (which isn't difficult to do, but )

PS: I mean the article, not the tomb itself.
    Last edited by Rai; 09-13-2014 at 01:10 PM.

Obviously doctored by a fan

Quote Originally Posted by Rai View Post
    @Valenka, wait wait wait. Is that like a fake newspaper or something? Is this a weird way for CD to promote the game? Or some made up story by the newspaper itself just for fun? I'm confused (which isn't difficult to do, but )

Yes it is fake.... 1) Archaeological digs on Amphipolis started on 2012
    2) There were no traps or anything like that!
    (But it would be cool if it was true!!)

lol, Rai wasn't questioning if the story is fake. We all understand that, because...

3) Lara isn't real

lol, that was an amusing article. not for long and an article come out that dr. jones was seen there as well.
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by Driber View Post
    lol, Rai wasn't questioning if the story is fake. We all understand that, because...

3) Lara isn't real

Well yes , I was going to say that too!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rai View Post

No, it's fake. I made it myself.

Ha, nice work, Mason

Thanks! Just Googled 'news article generator.' I'm working on a full one this morning, much more detailed and realistic looking. I'll be sure to share it when it's completed.

@CroftManiac, What Driber said

@Valenka, Ohh very cleverly done

I actually think this would be a cool way for CD to advertise the game. Not necessarily using a real tomb,as this could get them into trouble, but with maybe the tomb from the trailer and have a made up news article about Lara raiding this newly discovered tomb.

(click image to enlarge)

(click image to enlarge)
    Wow.. That's really impressing!
    signature image

Smile

(click image to enlarge)
    This is awesome like the old magazine covers in previous games, would be nice to have some archival way to add this to a game as a suggestion?

Maybe Scotland or Italy again would be good places to see her go to.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast