Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 56

Thread: 47 as a character

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    109

    Default 47 as a character

    As I felt it went in a complete wrong direction in Absolution I want to share some thoughts I have about him and how I think he should be portrayed.

    He's a cold calculated killer for hire. That's how he should be protrayed. Not a hero, not emotional. In Absolution he was getting angry and losing his temper. It also felt like they tried to give him the moral highground. How is that a contract killer? A contract killer needs to be patient and stable. Also if you kill people for money you cant have the moral highground. It's one thing in Silent Assassin, because he actually quit the game to reconsider, but he went back to being a hitman.

    The whole fun with 47 is that he is amoral. He's not evil or good. He doesnt exactly like or dislike killing. But he takes pride in doing what he does because he's good at it.
    And this coldness means that he can blend in at both the Meat Kings party and in a nice opera house in France. Posh party or the most depraved people imaginable.

    I understand that when you have a story you need to create tension which you can resolve at the end. A easy way to do this is to have someone doubt himself, lose something or have a flaw which they can overcome. But that isn't 47, and that's not the way he should be. The tension in the story should come from the people he is hunting and the people around him.
    The appealing thing with 47 is that he's flawless when it comes to his job.

    I think they should confront the character like Hannibal Lecter combined with Lee Van Cleef in The Good, the bad and the ugly. With Diana being almost like Clarice. She may have a civil relationship with 47 and she may even like him, but he's still a killer and she should be aware of that fact and therefore not easily let her guard down.

    Another thing with Hitman is that he's good at what he does because he does it silently and without people noticing him or connecting him with what happened. The best of times the death is just seen as an accident. So with all this said, how is there even rumours going around about him outside of the Agency? I mean he's a tall muscular bald guy with a barcode tattoo on the back of his head. His strength in remaining undetected is most definitely not his looks.

    So if there's rumours going around about someone with his looks going around killing people and then he shows up, people would know something was up. Even the risk of someone having heard the slightest thing about him would create major problems when preparing for a job. It would also create more risk for the Agency when sending him out. The whole cool thing was that people didnt even know he existed. The kills were so many and on so many different locations I always imagined that people didnt even connect them with each other and that's how he stayed undetected.
    I also assumed that the whole thing with him being a clone helped him a lot because being brought up in an Asylum he doesnt exactly have a social security number, which also maked him more invisible.

    The big threat in Blood money was that Alexander Leland Cayne had started putting facts together and now was telling a journalist about them. Which ended with the great conclusion that everyone who knew Cayne knew was killed by 47 and therefore once again he was a ghost. A great conclusion which seemed to be null and void in Absolution (Thanks to the scriptwriter Martin Brennan).

    This a few of my thoughts about 47. What do you people think about him? How do you view him? How should he be portrayed?
    Last edited by mikom; 01-31-2014 at 12:31 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    141

    Default

    YES!

    47's persona took a turn for the worse in Absolution. Hes not supposed to be a hero, something they tried to make him in Absolution. He helps people because its benefits him, not because its the right thing to do. IMO this makes him unique from pretty much any other game character, and that's exactly why I like him. Everything is permitted to finish the contract. Its what he does, and hes the best at it.

    47 should be intelligent, silent and creative. Nothing more, nothing less.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    109

    Default

    Nice to see you agree. He lost his some of his unique feel in Absolution when they polluted him with things I think they'd seen in other games.

    For example the single mindness of him is very interesting. Seeing his hideout in BM where everything he had there were dedicated to the job. I think they should stop being afraid to show him as the antihero he is. It's the villains in the movies who are the most interesting just because they aren't tied down with things ordinary people are, and because that you never know exactly what goes on in their heads.

    If they need some tension or a problem for him to face it should be external. Bringing back the Franchise from BM would work great.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    unknown
    Posts
    220

    Default

    Most of that can be summed up, as required story elements. 47 appears empty in some previous games because he is always on the job when it starts. Hitman 2, is evidence he has a caring nature in him. Put that with his promise to a 'dying' Diana and it's a case of his word is his bond. He made a contract of sorts and he fulfilled it. You can't be 47 without being intelligent enough to plan, organise and risk assess 99% of your situations. So when someone turns out to be a complete douchebag, he knows it. So maybe, just maybe he's thinking the world would be a better place without them in it.

    I am however in full agreement that blood money's ending needs to be explored in some fashion or another, and I'm not talking a single throw-away line of dialogue either, which'd be the biggest cop-out ever. Throw that in with the police investigation in the conclusion of H:A and the rabbit hole goes a bit deeper.

    Finally my personal theory is that in the time before 47 took out his remaining clones in H2:SA the others may have made tiny errors 47 wouldn't make and get spotted. But because they all look a like no one is aware they are clones. So with 47 still alive he is automatically the prime suspects in some assassinations he had nothing to do with.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Stasis
    Posts
    680

    Default

    Yes, good points.

    47 is the definition of an anti-hero. DEFINITELY not a hero. He only works for money. No promises, no rating system points, no nothing.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    109

    Default

    Nogarda: Interesting theory about the other clones. It would be cool if the information that is out there about him, the rumours, didnt stem from errors he made, but errors made from the other clones. That right there would create uncertainty about what the police thought they knew and would also create a problem that require fixing.

    When it comes to 47s emotion, he's clearly impaired somewhat. You need to be to successfully do his job. It's not like he can pick and choose from assignments, if you got enough money you can get him to kill for you. If you look at what he does with his money, he simply uses it on tools for the trade and his suit. And I think it's interesting the suit is the only thing that doesnt have anything to with his job that he puts money on. It's almost as if he knows there is something missing in him so he puts a lot of effort to look the best he can to compensate for it. This all doesnt mean he's completely devoid of all emotions or devoid of the capacity of feeling, but the fact of his upbringing means he had a less than stellar start in that regard, and his job stop any possible development to happen.

    The whole deal with Diana may simply be a lot to do with the fact that getting a new handler makes a new variable he needs to take care of. All of a sudden he has a new person he needs to figure out before he can trust them. He knows where he has Diana.

    It also doesnt mean he doesnt like her, but I think it has more to do with familiarity than anything else. Even the most coldhearted psychopath can like people, but they like them more in the way you like a piece of furniture, it benefits you, you're familiar with it and you know what you got. This doesnt mean that's the way he looks at Diana, it may but it may not. The fact that you dont really know how he does is the interesting part. What I think you can be certain of is that he doesnt look at her the same way as a normal person would.

    Even the fact with how he reacts with the death of the priest in SA may give hints of how cold he may be. A normal person mourns when someone dies and gets distraught to the point where you cant function the same way as before, and if you choose to take revenge in some way, after the revenge you're probably going to crash into depression before you can pick yourself up again. Because putting ones feelings on hold like that doesnt make them go away, but instead just holds them back for a while. The average person still needs to take care and resolve those feelings before continuing.

    I think when the priest died 47 noticed his lack of true sadness and that's why it was even more important to take revenge. Because as he couldnt show his respect with feeling, he could do it by action. The action of taking revenge became the way to show that he appreciated what the priest had done for him. It became the way he could compensate for the lack of feeling when he died. It's also telling that when the revenge was over the mourning seemed to be concluded. And like I said, for a normal person revenge would just delay the true mourning, but in his case it was the mourning. Or at least show of mourning.

    Another telling part is how fast he went back into the game, and how little he actually referenced him afterwards. This doesnt mean he didnt appreciate what the priest did or forgot what happened. He most definitely took something away from the priest. But it's clear he appreciated the actions of him more than anything else, and most likely the actions are the reason why he liked him if he did, not because of any emotional feeling towards him.And later when the revenge was done he felt like he had repaid those actions and could therefore continue without problems.

    I hope his actions in H:A is simply because he was finishing a contract Diana paid him for. I want to think she paid him to save Victoria and help her, and thats the underlying reason why he did it.
    Last edited by mikom; 02-01-2014 at 12:19 AM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    310

    Default

    The new pictures of 47 show that the bar code is back. So hopefully that means that their going to omit Absolution completely from the canon. Also I agree with most of what you said about the way 47 should be portrayed except two things.
    47 is a international criminal, a murder,"badguy", a villain. That why he says 'he can kill anyone' and then he kills innocent people after that. Thats what I think makes it fun and unique, you get to play as the badguy and get away with it. Its rare but some time in movies the villain wins. Look up Golgo 13 its a long running series about Hitman for hire, but He really does kill anyone that in his contract.


    I also agree that 47 shouldn't be giving the moral highground in the story, but in all the past Hitman game 47 has the moral highground. They do this to give the story a moral center and keep 47 at the level of antihero so He can still be considered as the goodguy. Notice that in bloodmoney all 47's target are generic badguys instead of having a variety interesting characters. The Agency were the goodguys and the franchise badguys. The agency use 47 to foil the franchise plot against the president. It would of been more interesting if that wheelchair guy had been the hero trying to shut down the agency's illegal operations. Instead they played it safe and made it about good and evil.
    YOU'RE NOBODY TILL SOMEBODY KILLS YOU.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    443

    Default

    i feel like 47 is mysterious, calculated, professional, incredibly skilled, and powerful, but just like the rest of us has a few people or things he cares about and would do anything in his power for...

    after all, if all you work for is money... what do you use the money for?? i imagine he likes the small things in life... hot tea, exotic birds (although he killed his one pet bird, only because he was in threat of being heard and killed - he didn't want to kill his bird but for his survival he didn't think twice), and maybe plans to retire on a private island somewhere - also has an affinity for rare weapons and gadgets

    i just didn't understand what the writers were thinking with the whole 'Diana' hit... this person has been everything to him, and helped him survive on numerous occasions...

    you would think he would choose to protect her over a few extra bucks from the agency

    it wasn't cold... it was stupid

    i guess there is a small chance she's still alive or that they will give us some sort of plot twist... i just hope they don't make it too ridiculous or unbelievable

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    109

    Default

    Icedog: The plot in BM wasnt good vs evil. It was evil vs evil. The fact that we played as Hitman just made the Franchise subjectively more evil than us. And obviously it's easier to excuse his actions when they are done against a criminal, instead of an ordinary person someone just wanted dead. This is the safe approach which ultimately settled in the rolechange in H:A where 47 was more a righteous vigilante than a killer.

    Story can be made better than this. Everything doesn't have to be cut and dry. We dont have to be the good guy fighting against evil to have us want to win. To make us want to win the opposition just needs to be a threat to us or bad according to us. This however takes more effort than just painting something out as black and white.


    mcescher1: He obviously has a personality. He obviously like things and enjoys things. But these things may not be rooted in emotion though. Or at least not as much as an ordinary person. That's one thing that makes him interesting, and also why he can do this work as efficiently as he does.

    I mean, even the coldest psychopath has hobbies and things he likes.

    Ps. She's alive. http://hitman.wikia.com/wiki/Diana_Burnwood

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    27

    Default

    Well, if you wanna get technical what about the humanity 47 portrayed in Blood Money when he had to kill his bird? There has been this sense of 47 being a blank slate who has been slowly acting like a human. I assume Absolution built off of that.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    117

    Default

    I would very much like to see a great villain for 47. Someone as cold, calculating, and ruthless as him, someone always one step ahead. A villain whose aim was to unveil the existence of 47 to the world ... now that would be someone interesting. It could potentially give 47 some great character development, since he'd be up against someone like him, but who was always plotting something dangerous.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    109

    Default

    HITMANfromHELL:
    I dont think 47 had any emotional attachment to the bird at all. I think the main reason why he had it was to sense differences in the air. Like why the coal miners had canaries with them in the mines. "canaries (birds) that mining workers would carry down into the mine tunnels with them. If dangerous gases such as methane or carbon monoxide leaked into the mine, the gases would kill the canary before killing the miners, thus providing a warning to exit the tunnels immediately."

    To think he had it for company is silly. Check the rest of his hideout. Everything else was work, so why would the canary be any different? Any comfort he found in the canary was accidental and just a biproduct. And for me the killing of the canary, instead of letting it free, really cemented to me that he didnt have that much emotional attachment to it.

    With all this said, it doesnt mean he's a blank slate, or completely cold. But it does mean he's a WHOLE lot colder than we are. And his work depends on him being cold and unempathetic so for him to really grow as a person emotionally, he would have to leave his job. In fact, the more emotional progress he has, the less efficient he will be at his job. It's fun to wonder how much emotion he really has and to what end, but have no doubt. Compared to us he is cold.

    gkkiller:
    Isnt that pretty much what happened in BM? I would like to see the consequences of BM and what ever happened with the albino clones and the franchise.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    27

    Default

    Although, I am not saying you are wrong Mikom. I have interpreted Agent 47 differently. I see 47 as this elite killing machine as one who is slowly developing emotions. Nonetheless, I see the bird as a tool for his job. I may be reading into this too much but I believe as the only thing to keep him company, Agent 47 had some sort of attachment to it. In killing it,he lost his only friend so to speak.

    In Absolution, you see 47 having more emotions. His anger gets the best of him at times. You see him get more impatient and careless. I understand that IO was trying to elaborate a bit more on a glimpse of his human characteristics. I for one prefer his Blood Money persona more.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    443

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mikom View Post
    HITMANfromHELL:
    I dont think 47 had any emotional attachment to the bird at all. I think the main reason why he had it was to sense differences in the air. Like why the coal miners had canaries with them in the mines. "canaries (birds) that mining workers would carry down into the mine tunnels with them. If dangerous gases such as methane or carbon monoxide leaked into the mine, the gases would kill the canary before killing the miners, thus providing a warning to exit the tunnels immediately."

    To think he had it for company is silly. Check the rest of his hideout. Everything else was work, so why would the canary be any different? Any comfort he found in the canary was accidental and just a biproduct. And for me the killing of the canary, instead of letting it free, really cemented to me that he didnt have that much emotional attachment to it.
    Mikom , i have to disagree with you about the bird... he didn't 'need' it at all for his job... he doesn't work in a coal mine and isn't in danger of being killed by seeping gases

    i agree with what HitfromHell said about him being a little emotionally attatched to the bird because it was like his only 'friend'...

    he maybe would have set it free if he was leaving on regular terms.. but there was an intruder of whom could have been after 47 to kill him, and the bird was making noise, possibly giving away his position... 47 can't have that... so he made the move quickly and swiftly without pause - he didn't necessarily want to kill the bird because im sure it entertained him, and gave him company- without the trust issues and problems a human would give him, he didn't 'need' the bird one bit... so he kept it for a reason

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    111

    Default

    I was disappointed in the way they portrayed 47 in Absolution. He was much better in the previous games - Didn't speak often, and when he did he was cold and to the point. They tried to make him into some emotional hero which I didn't like at all. Then again, almost all of the characters in Absolution were cheesy and un-hitman like.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    443

    Rolleyes

    Quote Originally Posted by Itsrob View Post
    I was disappointed in the way they portrayed 47 in Absolution. He was much better in the previous games - Didn't speak often, and when he did he was cold and to the point. They tried to make him into some emotional hero which I didn't like at all. Then again, almost all of the characters in Absolution were cheesy and un-hitman like.
    i agree - i think they veered off of the path of who 47 'is' in Absolution

    and it wasn't congruent to what we have seen in the past

    i don't think too much damage was done to the point it can't be repaired - but i think the people working on the game and the 'personality' of 47 really need to lock down his persona and his attributes - and do it right, i will try and think of a comparable character and geettttt back tooo you

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    109

    Default

    We agree more than you guys may think. I'm not saying he didnt like the company of the bird. What I'm saying is that it was a biproduct of getting it. A unforseen consequence. He got it for protection. Because A: He's nothing if not prepared, so even if he didnt expect someone to poison him by seeping in gas, it's better to be safe than sorry. And B: Because I think poison gas is a big threat to him. It might even be the best way if you were to take him out.

    He's the greatest assassin there is. You cant take him on head first, and if you do you want him to be at a severe disadvantage. Also, the hideout was at basement level. Old basements have cracks in them where you could let gas seep in, or you could set up a faux contruction site next to it, or on the ground floor. All with less suspicion than if you were trying to seep gas in on the fifth floor where other people live. I'm not saying that would work on him, but I'm saying that is their best bet, especially if he didnt have the bird.

    In the same way a sniper would be a big threat if he had a hideout on a high floor, poison is a big threat for a underground hideout. Think about it. You actually think he went out to a petstore just because he was feeling lonely? No, he got it for a reason. As a precaution. He probably started to get used to it, maybe even like it. But as soon as it jeopardised him, he killed it. And like I've written futher up. I think if he didnt have this job, and he continued having the bird, he would develop more emotion. But the job is hindering that development. By killing the bird, he not only killed a friend, or at least as close to one he could have at that moment, he also regressed a little bit.

    So I agree, this is a story about a cold killer slowly but surely developing emotions, sometimes regressing back, but then growing again. But when he has developed enough emotion as a normal person, the game is OVER. That's the inevitable end to Hitman.

    Either he gets enough emotion and empathy that he cannot do his job, and someone will most likely kill him. Or he grows enough emotion that he quits, again, to continue with his emotional development. But then the whole deal with The Agency comes in, like I've written before. Would they ever really let him go? Or would they do something to force him back, or if he's to far gone, kill him?

    These are the interesting questions. He has the capacity for emotions. He is a human being. Yet, growing up in a asylum and killing for a living, he is held in an arrested development.

    And I for one, want a few more games until he has reached his end.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    27

    Default

    Who else suspected Victoria in Absolution was some how Agent 47's kid? Those moves? Daaayyyuuummm. Imagine the impact on 47's character if he knew of his hypothetical child?

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    290

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HITMANfromHELL View Post
    Who else suspected Victoria in Absolution was some how Agent 47's kid? Those moves? Daaayyyuuummm. Imagine the impact on 47's character if he knew of his hypothetical child?
    This guy wants to keep the bar code. ;D

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    2

    Default

    I suppose I have a different interpretation of 47.

    First and foremost, 47 was bred by Ort-Meyer to be the ultimate assassin, and that he is. Not only that, but 47 is regarded as the perfect clone, not only in terms of his superiority in pain tolerance, strength, and other physical traits, but also because he can think for himself.

    While 47 has a free and open mind that allows him to engage his targets in creative ways, he is also burdened by something else very human - emotions. In a way, 47 could be perhaps be considered as a failure due to this. After all, emotions are something of which might be unwelcome company in the business of killing - a 'feature' that Ort-Meyer had perhaps not intended to implement in his creation.

    But in my mind, I'd like to believe that because 47 can think, and namely, feel, like a real human being is actually what enables him to overcome the seemingly impossible obstacles he encounters.

    For instance, the 48 series clones, who are undyingly loyal to Ort-Meyer, prove to be far inferior to 47 despite, in actuality, being genetically superior.

    I appreciated seeing the more caring and personal side of 47 in Silent Assassin, and even Contracts gave us a good look at what's going on in 47's head. I wish Absolution had made a more serious attempt at expanding 47's persona, but his motivations were presented in a very shallow and un-engaging way and were further dragged down by the convoluted and incomplete overall story.

    With the upcoming Hitman 6, it looks like we're going back to completing traditional contracts - which I think we can all appreciate - but likely it won't give us much of an opportunity to learn more about 47.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    290

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by edisleado View Post
    ...47 is regarded as the perfect clone, not only in terms of his superiority in pain tolerance, strength, and other physical traits, but also because he can think for himself.
    I think 47 was regarded as the perfect clone because he survived as long as he did, while the other clones died within months of natural causes.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Stasis
    Posts
    680

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by S3R6i0 View Post
    I think 47 was regarded as the perfect clone because he survived as long as he did, while the other clones died within months of natural causes.
    Yes. He also isn't albino, which was a problem for those who tried to re-create Ort-Meyer's research. Isn't that the reason why they wanted his bone-marrow?

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    22

    Default

    Welp, in Hitman 2 Silent Assassin, 47 shows up his sentimental side when confess to father Vittorio about his sins (he seems regretful somehow), Also he just came back to the agency because Vittorio was kidnapped and he needed money to save him
    Last edited by CarolG; 05-24-2014 at 09:25 AM.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    290

    Default

    Yeah. I like the way people assert that 47 is a cold, callous, calculated sociopath who can't be tracked or snuck up upon, yet they predict how 47 will react in every situation. I actually didn't have a problem with 47 rescuing Victoria. After all, he went all warm and soft (not to mention extremely naive and gullible) during Silent Assassin. Yes, after saving the priest he learned a lesson about life but that doesn't mean he lost his humanity. I think Absolution, in general, was bad, and the Victoria angle was a stretch to accommodate the direction of the story, but I don't think 47 necessarily has to be a machine devoid of an emotional blueprint. After all, if he 47 was an assassin immune to failure or sentimental influence what story would there be to tell? Part of what makes a story is conflict, or adversity.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    310

    Default

    This is a cool topic and all but Hitman is a video game not a movie. I think that the story is very vague and cryptic on purpose because 47 is a silent protagonist. Hes a silent protagonist not in the traditional sense but in the sense that hes stays mysterious. You are agent 47 a international hit man for hire, a straight up cold blooded murderer. On the back of the cd case it doesn't say vigilante justice it says murder and they should be expected to stand by that and not make him a action hero.

    The story slaves for the game not the other way around. You tell the story about the clients of 47 and the people Hes about to kill. One thing absolution did well was making the npc's feel human. A man is talking to somebody on the phone, a man and woman are arguing about something. All kinds of stuff going on but 47 is supposed to be indifferent because thats his character. There no need for emotional 47, emotional 47 betrays everybody he needs to be forgotten.
    YOU'RE NOBODY TILL SOMEBODY KILLS YOU.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •