Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Realistic ballistics for Sniping - bullet drop / bullet travel / wind effects

Hmm I don't know...there was a level in Hitman2 where you had to kill a general who was walking around a park in St. Petersburg. The sniper spot was on a radio tower really far away from the target. From what I remember, there was a wind effect (it was snowing) and that was already hard enough; I couldn't imagine what bullet drop would've added to the frustration. If the levels in this game will indeed be the largest ever, then I don't think it will work (i.e. way to hard) especially if your target is moving.

Hitman 2 nor any other game had any of the mentioned effects like wind, drop (BM had barelly noticible drop). Hitman 2 had ridiculously frustrating up and down moving scope when zoomed in. They fixed it in BM and Sniper Challenge. That being said it would work perfectly - Sniper Challenge is a proof. There are fun games that uses realistic ballistics and has similar mechanics (for ex. Sniper Elite V2, Red Orchestra series)
    Last edited by DeadlyShadow47; 02-10-2014 at 12:51 AM.

If they do realistic ballistics, they should include the principle of "squeeze, don't jerk" when pushing down the right trigger. How fast you push the trigger/fire button affects the the steadiness of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by S3R6i0 View Post
    If they do realistic ballistics, they should include the principle of "squeeze, don't jerk" when pushing down the right trigger. How fast you push the trigger/fire button affects the the steadiness of the rifle.
    they kind of already have this effect... the one implemented in Absolution...

where you slowly tap R2 (playstation) and it gives you kind of a 'slow motion' action - i liked that - kind of like a 'in the zone' shot

Also:

on the subject of making adding "Realistic Ballistics"

i disagree - strongly -

when it comes to video games i like my bullets to go where they are supposed to go... theres nothing more frustrating than pointing.. shooting... being dead on... and missing... because of some other effect in the game that isn't predictable

the advantage of playing a video game is that you can iron out undesirable factors of reality for the sake of entertainment - to a certain degree... obviously there needs to be a good balance of reality and unrealistic factors.. there is a very thin line sometimes.. and introducing "Realistic Ballistics" might complicate things to the point of anger and frustration

if somehow they find a way to make "realistic Ballistics" fun.. then by all means... my guess is it will be very difficult to perfect

another reason to vote Blood Money 2!! trying to keep it clear on what we really want from the next Hitman
    Last edited by mcescher1; 02-11-2014 at 02:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mcescher1 View Post
    they kind of already have this effect... the one implemented in Absolution...

where you slowly tap R2 (playstation) and it gives you kind of a 'slow motion' action - i liked that - kind of like a 'in the zone' shot
    I went back to play Absolution a few days ago. The R2 half squeeze doesn't slow down time, all it does is line up the crosshairs. A headshot, or a fatal wound will slow down time. I think you confused the two. Anyway, that's something different altogether. What I mean by "squeeze, don't jerk", in real life, if you jerk the trigger, that is, if you pull it violently, it's gonna shake the rest of the gun and send the bullet flying in a different direction. In the military, they teach you to pull the trigger, that is pull it back gently enough so that the shot surprises you. It keeps the barrel steady and increases accuracy.

I said they should add something like that.

Half-squeezing the trigger does in fact slow time, but only with the sniper rifle.

You're right.

Yes to bullet travel time and bullet drop in the maingame levels. (the wind is too much for hitman game)
    A couple missions like hitman2 st of saint petersburg .. when you reach the sniping point and you are aiming on a metting you have to deduce who your target is from real-time infos that ICA comunicate you through radio.
    Last edited by agent047; 02-27-2014 at 08:55 AM.

This would make Hitman a lot more interesting. Anyone here play Sniper Elite 3 or 2? Take a look at this video, it's basically a real world tutorial to assist you in sniping. The game itself has aim assist option, turning off ballistics. But this is an idea of how Hitman with realistic sniping would look like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCd6Xz9lx7Y

Again, this should be optional and customizable in the settings, and there should be a tutorial in-game. Unfortunately, Sniper Elite 3 didn't offer one.

Here's my take on this and I might be alone on this, but here goes:

I can see why people would want this, but I don't know if I'm one of them. I would probably just skip sniping and go for another approach in that case. I'm still of the belief that if the game tries to accomplish too much at once it will ultimately fail. I think that if "realism", a word people so love to throw around, comes in the way of fun and engaging gameplay it might present a problem. I'm not saying the gameplay shouldn't be challenging, but the way challenge is presented is a design decision and too much realism to accomplish such seems to me like a, sorry if this might upset some, really boring one of the sort.

If there will be a good tutorial about this ballistics, how to estimate distance etc. - i'm ok with that.

@Master47,

Obviously it shouldn't be forced. As in Sniper Elite, it's completely optional. Lots of people like playing without agency assistance so this seems like something right up Hitman's alley. Although, sniping has never really been a strong point for Hitman, unfortunately, IMO. I feel Hitman never had enough sniping opportunities. But maybe that's just me. The suitcase is one of 47's signature items and it's a shame that it's mostly for show.

@kewlak

Yes. There should be a tutorial and specifications for every weapon (distance, power, effective range, etc.) to make figuring out the math interesting. I feel like I'm alienating a lot of people right now but a feature like this would really deliver more depth.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent_69 View Post
    I feel like I'm alienating a lot of people right now but a feature like this would really deliver more depth.
    Every idea should be considered, and ballistics should be beared in mind as well, especially in Hitman, where accuracy matters. I think fans wouldn't be disappointed, especially if realistic ballistics would be optional. We always had many difficulties in Hitman, and hope H6 will be the same in that respect.

I really don't know. Of course the idea is interesting, but I still feel it would be like adding way too much depth to a very, very small portion of the game. With it's own tutorial and all. To me that wouldn't be a logical design choice. Also you say it obviously shouldn't be forced, well again that seems like a lot work for something that's optional and many wouldn't even touch. I'd rather there were simply more sniping opportunities instead.

Sniper Elite can do this since it's focused on exactly sniping, but Hitman is an entirely different game with sniping being relatively minimal. I just don't see the need for this I'm afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by Master47 View Post
    I really don't know. Of course the idea is interesting, but I still feel it would be like adding way too much depth to a very, very small portion of the game. With it's own tutorial and all. To me that wouldn't be a logical design choice. Also you say it obviously shouldn't be forced, well again that seems like a lot work for something that's optional and many wouldn't even touch. I'd rather there were simply more sniping opportunities instead.

Sniper Elite can do this since it's focused on exactly sniping, but Hitman is an entirely different game with sniping being relatively minimal. I just don't see the need for this I'm afraid.
    I think this idea is amazing...it's really important...you know that hitman is only game that let you kill targets by different ways and it require that:every assassination ways should be realistic and challenging.we don't have any optional ways to assassinate targets in hitman game and every single person have a favorite way to kill targets.

Quote Originally Posted by Arvin47 View Post
    I think this idea is amazing...it's really important...you know that hitman is only game that let you kill targets by different ways and it require that:every assassination ways should be realistic and challenging.we don't have any optional ways to assassinate targets in hitman game and every single person have a favorite way to kill targets.
    So what exactly are you proposing?

I think all assassination ways should be realistic and nice even sniping.
    I agree with bullet drop_bullet travel and wind effect and I propose it.

Sure you do. I personally just don't really see the need for a super realistic sniping experience. I'd be perfectly fine looking elsewhere for that. To me it seems like people just demand and demand in an unrealistic manner. See what I did there.

@Master47,

From a technical point of view, it really isn't much of a demand. The devs just need to develop a fluctuating algorithm of where the bullet will land. Doesn't seem like a technical marvel to me at all.

On the other hand, if the devs turn Hitman into Sniper Challenge just to justify the new features, I would have a problem with that. One can only dream I guess.

now I think I don't like drop bullet...but bullet travel or wind effect is so nice

I agree with bullet drop_bullet travel and wind effect and I propose it.
    now I think I don't like drop bullet...but bullet travel or wind effect is so nice
    lol

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12