Thread: Tomb Raider 2 save files, Windows 8

Default Tomb Raider 2 save files, Windows 8

I've been playing Tomb Raider 2 (and TR2 Gold) from the original disc on Windows 8, and I was hoping to erase my old save files so I can start over from scratch (since it numbers your saves). The problem is, I can't for the life of me FIND any of the save data in the program folders. Most sources I've seen claim the save files are visible right in the main folder, but I just don't see them. I'm wondering if the difference is because I'm running Windows 8.

Any suggestions for how to find the save files?

Yes. Since Vista (so for 7 and 8, too), MS has introduced User Account Control mechanism. What this means is that if a program is installed on the system disk (C: ), then it might not be given permission to write data. Instead, Windows will write the data in a special folder (Virtual Store), kind of a sandbox.

I assume it's installed in C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86), if you have a 64 bit system. Your savegames will then be in:

For 32 bit systems: C:\Users\<your nick>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\<and then the rest of the program folder>.

For 64 bit systems: C:\Users\<your nick>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\<and then the rest of the program folder>.

There they are, indeed. Thank you muchly for your help!