Eidos Forums
Go Back   Eidos Forums > Current Games > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider (2013) General Discussion

Old 12-17-2013, 11:16 AM
CrystalD Executive Producer
Eidos Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruiserBear View Post
I can't wait to play TR on the new consoles!

Are there any differences between the PS4 and XB1 versions? I own both of the new consoles and am curious which version might have an edge, even if it's slight.

Do both versions run at 1080p? Are both 30fps?

Thanks so much!
Awesome to hear! I'm also a fan of all consoles and own them both. There are custom differences as you know for each - meaning PS4's controller has a touch-pad on it, has the lit front that we do interact with from in-game; and Xbox One has Kinect which we make use of; both support in-game voice commands. We truly targeted delivering the best experience taking fullest advantage of both consoles so that players on either platform would have the awesome Tomb Raider experience no matter where they played. We see it as a matter of personal preference as we want everyone to have a great time in the game! And yes, gameplay in both versions is at full 1080p!
Old 12-17-2013, 11:17 AM
Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeaganMarie View Post
If you guys are interested in exploring this more, I can try to get Brian in on a podcast in the new year to talk about next-gen Lara's look a bit more!
Of course we want
Old 12-17-2013, 11:18 AM
Eidos Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinkrc View Post
are you planning on releasing the definitive edition on other platforms in the future?
Today we are only talking about Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition on PS4 and Xbox One. It's our time to celebrate this version and its arrival to market come January. If a future platform comes along or is demanded by the fans, we are also open to exploring opportunities where we can deliver a great Tomb Raider experience if it makes sense for everyone.
Old 12-17-2013, 11:19 AM
New Player

Firstly, I would like to say congratulations on the success of the game!

My question is, has the Multiplayer been improved? The lag was horrendous in the original version so I thought I'd ask
Old 12-17-2013, 11:19 AM
iModô
Eidos Administrator

Quote:
If you guys are interested in exploring this more, I can try to get Brian in on a podcast in the new year to talk about next-gen Lara's look a bit more!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FearEffect View Post
Of course we want
+1
Old 12-17-2013, 11:20 AM
Eidos Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3und3rt4k3r View Post
Maybe it's not your place to answer this, but there it goes:

- Is there any chance of, who bought the last gen version of Tomb Raider, can have a discount in there new gen version?

- And will the game be full price?

Congrats in the success of the game!
Thanks for the congrats! Our Marketing/Sales team will be able to answer any questions on pricing and such. We as the dev teams just focus on making the most awesome experience possible. I'll see if they have any formal info they have released yet and ask them to post about it.
Old 12-17-2013, 11:21 AM
iModô
Eidos Administrator

Question for Scot - when you say "both support in-game voice commands" do you mean that players can use voice commands on the PS4 as well?
Old 12-17-2013, 11:21 AM
New Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot_Amos View Post
Today we are only talking about Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition on PS4 and Xbox One. It's our time to celebrate this version and its arrival to market come January. If a future platform comes along or is demanded by the fans, we are also open to exploring opportunities where we can deliver a great Tomb Raider experience if it makes sense for everyone.
I would have probably preferred a "Don't ask about the PC" disclaimer at the top of the Q&A thread. Thanks.
Old 12-17-2013, 11:22 AM
Gamer

Quote:
Yes, it would be interesting!
Old 12-17-2013, 11:23 AM
Eidos Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaBanes View Post
Thanks for answering!

But what about her scars and the ripped shirt we don't see in the trailer?

Also, I assume TressFX is only be used for Lara? Do you think the next-gen consoles could handle it if there was TressFX for other characters also or is it already at the maximum?
All of the details for Lara are there... we even added special materials that dynamically change for her when she wades through mud, or gets blood on her, or when in rain/wet so it ties her more into the world's state as she goes. TressFX was custom written and optimized for Lara this first-time out for us on Next-gen as we hadn't ever done it before on consoles.
Old 12-17-2013, 11:26 AM
New Player

Quote:
Thanks for the congrats! Our Marketing/Sales team will be able to answer any questions on pricing and such. We as the dev teams just focus on making the most awesome experience possible. I'll see if they have any formal info they have released yet and ask them to post about it.
Thank you, that would be great!
Old 12-17-2013, 11:26 AM
New Player

Hi Tomb Raider devs,

You mentioned earlier some voice control stuff on the Xbox One version. Can you go more specifically into that?

I currently already own the PC version (with most of the DLC) with a really good video card so I'm already maxing the game out (with tressFX) at 1080p and 60+ frames per second....I'm definitely willing to get the Xbox One version too though if there's some cool new stuff beyond graphics, so could you go more into that?
Old 12-17-2013, 11:27 AM
Eidos Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
Will the definitive edition make its way to the PC platform (if it even warrants enough changes considering we already have TressFX, higher resolutions, etc.)? Perhaps via patch?

There is a stark contrast between Lara's current face and the one shown in the DE reveal. It just breaks consistency, considering the PC platform can already do what you have done with the DE for the newly released consoles, if it weren't available for us whether PC players like the new changes or not.
The work that went into the PS4 and Xbox One versions started at the end of the X360/PS3/PC versions. They were our foundation that we then built on top of. The amount of extra work - 3 studios and a full year of development - have pushed the boundaries beyond just TressFX and upgraded textures. We now have a new particle system, new lighting work and enhanced shadow-casters, tons of more visual storytelling elements (more debris, more details on walls, more density in the environment for vegetation), upgraded characters (Lara and main story NPCs), and we've also put all of the DLC materials into this version for PS4/Xbox One. We are very happy with the PC version we released and felt these new additions and changes were something custom just for next-gen consoles at the moment.
Old 12-17-2013, 11:28 AM
iModô
Eidos Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
I would have probably preferred a "Don't ask about the PC" disclaimer at the top of the Q&A thread. Thanks.
People may ask any question they want regarding TRDE. However, it doesn't mean every question will necessarily be answered, or answered to one's liking. That's how these things work
Eidos Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driber View Post
Question for Scot - when you say "both support in-game voice commands" do you mean that players can use voice commands on the PS4 as well?
Absolutely - voice commands work on Kinect for Xbox One and using a microphone attached to PS4's controller or through Sony's camera if you have one.
New Player

Quote:
Yes if possible please do Meagan! I'd love to hear his thoughts!
Old 12-17-2013, 11:29 AM
Former CrystalD Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by tCobra View Post
Does the art book edition come in a standard game case or does the art book serve as the game case?
The art book also acts as the game case in the pre-order edition of Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition. You can see an example of the Hitman one here: http://www.vgblogger.com/hitman-hd-t...xpected/20072/
Old 12-17-2013, 11:30 AM
Gamer

Voice command?

"Lara. go make me a sandwich."
Old 12-17-2013, 11:31 AM
Eidos Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by peasants101 View Post
Firstly, I would like to say congratulations on the success of the game!

My question is, has the Multiplayer been improved? The lag was horrendous in the original version so I thought I'd ask
We've actually rewritten the back-end architecture on the multiplayer for next-gen. Certainly lag is not one factor but many - including server locations, connections through external systems Crystal has no control over, etc. That said, we have definitely been enjoying playing multiplayer on next-gen and look forward to your experience! Let us know if you feel the improvements!
Old 12-17-2013, 11:31 AM
New Player

Hello Scot
Thank you for your very polite answer however I am disappointed you have not elaborated on the question regarding the resolution and frames per second. I am sure that a lot of people would like to have an answer on that
Thank you
Milan
Old 12-17-2013, 11:32 AM
Gamer

1) How are physics exactly upgraded in the game? And the hubs? Are they a little modified?
2) Are the Multiplayer's characters updated to Next Gen graphics too?

Congratulations!
I know for sure people will enjoy this DE
Old 12-17-2013, 11:32 AM
New Player

Quote:
The art book also acts as the game case in the pre-order edition of Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition. You can see an example of the Hitman one here: http://www.vgblogger.com/hitman-hd-t...xpected/20072/
Thanks for the answer! I cant wait to play the new version!
Old 12-17-2013, 11:33 AM
Eidos Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlmitnick View Post
Hi Tomb Raider devs,

You mentioned earlier some voice control stuff on the Xbox One version. Can you go more specifically into that?

I currently already own the PC version (with most of the DLC) with a really good video card so I'm already maxing the game out (with tressFX) at 1080p and 60+ frames per second....I'm definitely willing to get the Xbox One version too though if there's some cool new stuff beyond graphics, so could you go more into that?
We use voice commands to enhance Lara's actions or as shortcuts into various menus and upgrade screens to reduce some of the user navigation. We also use them for things like switching weapons, switching ammo types, and other such shortcuts. Certainly we kept the core Tomb Raider experience intact from the current-gen version as we didn't want to take away from something we're very sure of; we just wanted to enhance the experience wherever possible.
Old 12-17-2013, 11:34 AM
New Player

Quote:
We've actually rewritten the back-end architecture on the multiplayer for next-gen. Certainly lag is not one factor but many - including server locations, connections through external systems Crystal has no control over, etc. That said, we have definitely been enjoying playing multiplayer on next-gen and look forward to your experience! Let us know if you feel the improvements!
Thank you for your response, I look forward to it!
Old 12-17-2013, 11:34 AM
Eidos Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by milanbenes254 View Post
Hello Scot
Thank you for your very polite answer however I am disappointed you have not elaborated on the question regarding the resolution and frames per second. I am sure that a lot of people would like to have an answer on that
Thank you
Milan
You're most welcome. All gameplay in both PS4 and Xbox One is at full 1080p.