Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What vehicles do we want to see?

I don't mind about too many vehicles but would be nice to see Lara's motorbike again
    Andy64 - The TR traditionalist maverick

I would love to see a motorcycle chase a la Legend to Shania Twains 'I'm Gonna Getcha Good'

Ooh if there was a city scene, then I would like Lara to have a motorbike.
    If it was a survival scene again, then maybe a bicycle or a horse or a camel. (or... A Sam )
    signature image

snowmobile
    yellow river raft
    other fun adventure vehicles

Motorbike. I'd love a kayak too. With modern graphics and controls it would be amazing.

definitely a motorbike or quad. maybe even include firearms attached to the machinery? but if it is a survival type of setting again, it'd be cool to ride some horses
    signature image

How about something like these in TR10.

Last edited by NSW pride; 02-01-2014 at 07:39 PM. Reason: Add videos more relevant to this thread.

Motorcycle is something I think almost everybody would like to see and it's let's say: 'semi-iconic' to Tomb Raider.

If they are going open world then a motorcycle would be a good way to quickly cover large distances and if enemies come on motorcycles as well then you can easily take one over when you need one: then there will be no: 'damnit where did I park that motorcycle again'... just shoot an enemy from his bike and take it over...

I don't know if the second clip is referring to the bulldozer or the freerunning: bulldozer would be fun to pick up enemies in a jeep and throw them over a cliff but freerunning I think is something that should be left to Assassins Creed...

I don't see the connection between vehicles and Judy Dench in a courtroom...

I've edited my above post with more relevant videos.

No tank for me, I don't think that's Lara's style...

If they brought back a speedboat or kayak there would be many a nostalgic tear shed.

I guess it really depends on the environment and context.

urban
    vespa scooter (which prompts Lara to remark on the need for a motorcycle for next time)

water
    canoe all those canoe jokes for the laraxsam people
    but all kidding aside, I think Lara piloting a seaplane would be amazing. so. many. possibilities....

snow
    ski bike
    dog sled it's been done in the movies, why not in a game?

land
    panzercycle I've never played Mercenaries 2 but this seems really fun and crazy. very batman-esque and that's what Lara's all about
    wheelchair Lara is recovering from her injuries and needs to make a "run" for it . now that I think about it an action game protagonist who uses a wheelchair would be a phenomenal character....hmmm

But seriously any vehicle is good. It would be a welcome addition so long as it improves on the Legend motorcycle segments which I did not care for. I think the more unconventional the vehicle, the better. How about roller skates
    signature image

The jetpack would be very fun and fitting for an adventurer. Also didnt anyone mention a quad or some kind of inflatable raft which is very iconic.

I dunno I thought the whole adventurer idea was ditched in favor of a more COD like approach. So if that is the case I think drones should be in the game, or military vehicles, like a jeep should work?

Seeing how many people here would want to see the motorcycle again brings up another question: how should the motorcycle be implemented in the game? What kind of gameplay should it be?

The bike sections in Legend were kinda primitive and simplistic, I know, but I appreciate the speed and spectacle, that makes those sections very thrilling. The bike in Underworld could preform cool powerslides and it had a role in some of the platforming and puzzeling, but what annoyed me was that Lara always had to dismount from the bike to pick up a collectable. And that gets rather tedious when you've just driven 4 meters and then see another collectable. It would have been better if she could just pick them up by driving over them.

If Tomb Raider was to go open world than that would definitely justify the presence of a motorcycle... in fact it would become a necessity.

^ If you can think of a way in which Lara could possibly pick up an item whilst riding a bike, then I'm on board, otherwise I'd rather just have to get on and off the bike

I can think of one: by using a grappling gun to pick up the collectable while driving.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by a big house View Post
    ^ If you can think of a way in which Lara could possibly pick up an item whilst riding a bike, then I'm on board, otherwise I'd rather just have to get on and off the bike
    I like the motorcycle idea, couldnt she just drive over them to collect them? That is how most driving games work so just do that I guess? Id really like some great jumps! and for the camera on some jumps to zoom out to take awesome screenshots, like her jumping over buddhas or maybe a chase on a castle where she flies along castle walls and also upside down. Id like it to be very fun, not boring, Lara is an adventurer, so id like to avoid the brown bag no frills approach seen in most games.

(For underwater how about a mini sub, a half sub so laras body is visible while she uses it, but I dont know if the game has any reason to be underwater unless teir doing an atlantis thing which would be fun! Egypt to atlantis that would be awesome!

^ Well it better not be one of these things: they look soooo awkward!:

(click image to enlarge)

It would be inhumane to embarrass Lara with a thing like that Better to give her a DPV or sea scooter like this then:

(click image to enlarge)

And she could also ride the turtle!

Or something like what they used on the second film:

signature image

With regards to a motorbike chase sequence, would you guys rather have a more direct conventional approach like previous games, like the kind of gameplay you get in racing games, or this is what I was thinking, do you guys remember that bit in the new Tomb Raider where she is sliding down river rapids and you have to move her left and right to avoid her being impaled, and use the shotgun to shoot debris out of the way. What about a system like that, where the game deals with acceleration and corners, while you have to avoid hitting obstacles (cars, fruit market stalls, mothers with prams etc) by going left and right, while using her weapons to shoot at enemies chasing her.

Also, a trans-continental European passenger train, not to pilot, but have a level on (like in Last Revelation), plus there can be a bit where she kicks an enemy out of an open carriage door, who gets trapped under the wheels, and Lara can quip "Murder under the Orient Express", though I think that might be a bit too much old Lara.

I think there's three possibilities for motorcycle: scripted chase sequences with obstacles like Legend, using the cycle in platforming and getting somewhere faster in time based puzzles like Underworld, or as a means of transportation in an open world. I would be happy with any one of them.

Combat on a motorcycle I think would be a really though nut to crack: it should be possible to have free aim as I've seen it being done in Saints Row: but that was very difficult and chaotic. In a perfectly smooth game like TR9 I think it would really stand out as messy, for lack of a better word. Perhaps they should make autoaim available, even though autoaim always begs the question why there is gunplay to begin with...

By the way, I think Lara should definitely encounter enemies on motorcycles while being on foot herself, and rather than shooting they could charge her with machetes; I think of that as one of my better ideas

A level on a moving train is not terribly original; I've seen it in at least three other games, but it's not really overdone either... It would be fine with me...

I am constantly thinking of post-kill oneliners for Lara to say: for example, after setting a guy on fire she could sing: 'Burn baby burn! Disco inferno!' or 'Fire! To destroy all you've done!' But I am not sure that would fit the current incarnation of Lara...

motorcycle

Quote Originally Posted by Jurre View Post
    Combat on a motorcycle I think would be a really though nut to crack: it should be possible to have free aim as I've seen it being done in Saints Row: but that was very difficult and chaotic. In a perfectly smooth game like TR9 I think it would really stand out as messy, for lack of a better word. Perhaps they should make autoaim available, even though autoaim always begs the question why there is gunplay to begin with...
    For that they need to take "inspiration" from another recent SE game: Sleeping Dogs. I thought vehicular combat in that game was spectacular, both visually and gameplaywise satisfying. In that game basically when you hit a target on another car/bike, the game enters slowmo time for a while which allows you to shoot other enemies without losing control of your bikes much.

Quote Originally Posted by pirate1802 View Post
    For that they need to take "inspiration" from another recent SE game: Sleeping Dogs. I thought vehicular combat in that game was spectacular, both visually and gameplaywise satisfying. In that game basically when you hit a target on another car/bike, the game enters slowmo time for a while which allows you to shoot other enemies without losing control of your bikes much.

SD really nailed vehicle combat with manual aim. It was so much fun!

Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

I'm very hesitant about vehicles, I hated them so much in every TR apart from Underworld where the motorbike was kinda fun.

A helicopter or something similar would have been fun in Treboot to transport ourselves around the island, so maybe something like that?

Maybe the bike could be used as a kind of hub connection system or some kind of pursuit sequence for a gang of enemies who just stole an artefact off Lara.
    signature image

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast