Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: IMPORTANT INFO FOR ALL MEMBERS - Forum Migration

Default IMPORTANT INFO FOR ALL MEMBERS - Forum Migration

IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR ALL MEMBERS!
    Wednesday, August 28th, 2013.

The Eidos Forums will migrate to a new system in the near future. This means that the forums may be temporarily unavailable during the testing and implementation phases. We aim to keep the downtime as short as possible.

Once the new system is in place, every member will have to take a few quick steps in order to access their forum account again. We will provide more information and detailed instructions on that soon. In the meantime, please make sure that your Eidos Forums registered email address is functional. This will be important to regain access to your account after the migration.

Click here http://forums.eidosgames.com/profile...o=editpassword to view your current forum email address, or go to your forum UserCP -> Settings & Options -> Edit Email & Password

If the address listed there is outdated and you no longer have access to it, please update it as soon as possible.

Additionally, if you haven't changed your forum password in a while, now would be a good time to do so, for security reasons. Also, please make sure that your forum password is strong and not easily guessable by others. To test the strength of your password, you can use this secure tool on the Microsoft website: https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/secu...d-checker.aspx

Update Aug 28, 2013:

- There will be a way for members to contact the admins outside of the forums in case there are account related issues. It will be announced prior to / during the migration.

Update Sep 4, 2013:

- While the initial plan was to "start fresh", we understand that your contributions to this community are important and that you would like to see this preserved. So the team is working on a tool to migrate the posts from here over to the new system. The current plan is that once the new system is functional, members have to take a few quick steps to "synch accounts", and after that, you should once again have ownership of the posts you've made so far.

- To echo what some of you have posted earlier, I can confirm that we are "merging with the new SEF (Square Enix Forums)", to put it simply. Although a more nuanced answer is that in reality this place *has been* the official SE (Europe) forums for years already and we're simply updating URLs. When Eidos was acquired by SE back in 2009, Eidos the publisher did not exist anymore at that point, so for all practices and purposes, this place has functioned as one of the official SE forums for many years already, just not under that specific name. From 2009 until today we've merely kept the "Eidos Forums" title for practical reasons.

- The new system will be running vBulletin 4, which is faster and more secure than vB3 (our current forum engine) and also has some cool new features to boot (more on that later).

- Your existing Eidos Forums posts will remain intact here in the form of a locked archive, so to prevent a plethora of dead links on external sites across the web. We also plan to include permanent and prominent notices on said archive with links to the relevant new URLs, so that (new) visitors will know where to go if they want to join the community and participate in the existing discussions.

We hope that this update will put some of your concerns to rest. We value the input and the love that you guys have invested in our community here over the years, so the staff is working hard on making this migration as smooth as possible for everyone

Update, Feb 25, 2014:

We are still preparing the migration, but it is recommended to already register on the new system if you want to make sure your Eidos Forums nickname will not be taken by someone else before we migrate.

Follow this link to sign up on the new system. When the migration begins, you can use that account to synch with your Eidos Forums account and access your posts.

If however your nickname has already been taken, or if it's not possible to register it on the new system due to the nickname characters limitation, try to adjust it a little by for example using dashes, underscores or numbers. Please note that if someone else has already taken your EF nickname on SEF, it does not mean that your posts will go to that person; when migrating accounts, all your posts will automatically be assigned to your new SEF account, regardless of what your nickname is (the new system uses your email address to login instead of your nickname).
    Last edited by Driber; 03-04-2014 at 12:40 AM. Reason: update.

Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

Tell me its not migrating to Square Enix forum that currently exist.

Is there any mail address that we can get help from if any of us get stucked after the migration?

^ There will be a way for members to contact the admins outside of the forums in case there are account related issues. It will be announced prior to / during the migration

Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

There is a lot of information hosted exclusively at these forums, in past FAQs for instance, which I link to extensively on wikis and such. So I'd want to ask, will the integrity of old posts and threads (e.g. from around 2002) be compromised in any way by this migration?
    Stones too can lie... Help edit the Legacy of Kain Wiki!

Wait, just to understand. When it says a new system does his mean it will not just simply be a new section like "Tomb Raider 2015" for example (like there is currently (Tomb Raider Underworld section, AOD section etc.). Or a complete change like a new website or something? Also do we HAVE to change out passwords? :O
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by Aevum View Post
    There is a lot of information hosted exclusively at these forums, in past FAQs for instance, which I link to extensively on wikis and such. So I'd want to ask, will the integrity of old posts and threads (e.g. from around 2002) be compromised in any way by this migration?
    I think my question is probably the same/similar in that will everything migrate? As in posts/threads, accounts, themes and set-ups/codes or will it be a complete fresh start?
    What I lack in intelligence I make up for with enthusiasm
    http://lucinvampireslair.blogspot.co.uk/

Woah! We're going to Ibiza!

No, but really is the change going to be that much of a change?

Quote Originally Posted by a big house View Post
    No, but really is the change going to be that much of a change?
    Yeah, Activision is buying Square Enix. So we are doomed. But good thing is TR is going to be yearly released game from now on.

This shouldn't be as hard as being stuck in forum limbo. Been there and done that.

I'm scared.

Are we merging with the Square Enix forums (as you seem to be consolidating the accounts recently) or are we just moving to vBulletin 4 (or even more hopefully Xenforo!)? Please say not vBulletin 5 though.

Ah well, interesting times ahead I guess!
    Wondering what ever happend to QA and where this Out Now, Patch Later culture came from!!!!

I am guessing it depends on what's happening if its just an upgrade then I would guess the integrity of the links will remain unchanged. But if it is to a different forum software then the links may be of a different format.

Wow I haven't been on here in a while!

Quote Originally Posted by Aevum View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lucinvampire View Post
    I think my question is probably the same/similar in that will everything migrate? As in posts/threads, accounts, themes and set-ups/codes or will it be a complete fresh start?
    I can't confirm nor guarantee anything at the moment, but we're working hard on preserving important things as much as possible.

We'll have more info for you guys later on after we've tested the technical side of things.

Quote Originally Posted by XylophoneDealers View Post
    Also do we HAVE to change out passwords? :O
    It's not mandatory, but recommend to do so ahead of the migration.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffers View Post
    Are we merging with the Square Enix forums (as you seem to be consolidating the accounts recently) or are we just moving to vBulletin 4 (or even more hopefully Xenforo!)? Please say not vBulletin 5 though.

Ah well, interesting times ahead I guess!
    Don't worry, we're not moving to vB5.

Quote Originally Posted by DjZ View Post
    I am guessing it depends on what's happening if its just an upgrade then I would guess the integrity of the links will remain unchanged. But if it is to a different forum software then the links may be of a different format.

Wow I haven't been on here in a while!
    Nice to see you again, Adam. It's been ages, indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by Driber View Post
    I can't confirm nor guarantee anything at the moment, but we're working hard on preserving important things as much as possible.

We'll have more info for you guys later on after we've tested the technical side of things.
    Thanks for your efforts. I agree with Aevum that some threads and posts are too important to the Legacy of Kain fan community to lose. I'm sure other communities with years of history here feel the same.

If you find that you can't preserve everything, please can you give us a bit of warning/time so we can do some copy-paste archiving of our own?
    Legacy of Kain: Dark Chronicle | On Facebook | On Twitter
    Filled with dull tomes of trite accounts by a pompous historian.

Here's an update, folks.

- While the initial plan was to "start fresh", we understand that your contributions to this community are important and that you would like to see this preserved. So the team is working on a tool to migrate the posts from here over to the new system. The current plan is that once the new system is functional, members have to take a few quick steps to "synch accounts", and after that, you should once again have ownership of the posts you've made so far.

- To echo what some of you have posted earlier, I can confirm that we are "merging with the new SEF (Square Enix Forums)", to put it simply. Although a more nuanced answer is that in reality this place *has been* the official SE (Europe) forums for years already and we're simply updating URLs. When Eidos was acquired by SE back in 2009, Eidos the publisher did not exist anymore at that point, so for all practices and purposes, this place has functioned as one of the official SE forums for many years already, just not under that specific name. From 2009 until today we've merely kept the "Eidos Forums" title for practical reasons.

- The new system will be running vBulletin 4, which is faster and more secure than vB3 (our current forum engine) and also has some cool new features to boot (more on that later).

- Your existing Eidos Forums posts will remain intact here in the form of a locked archive, so to prevent a plethora of dead links on external sites across the web. We also plan to include permanent and prominent notices on said archive with links to the relevant new URLs, so that (new) visitors will know where to go if they want to join the community and participate in the existing discussions.

We hope that this update will put some of your concerns to rest. We value the input and the love that you guys have invested in our community here over the years, so the staff is working hard on making this migration as smooth as possible for everyone

Yay for vBulletin 4. Wanted it for years, now its coming.

Sounds good hopefully we wont be crying in the Aleksandr voice "Eidos forums come baaaack". It's settling to hear things will still be retained and that links from the outside world will still function. Look forward to hearing/seeing more.
    What I lack in intelligence I make up for with enthusiasm
    http://lucinvampireslair.blogspot.co.uk/

The current plan is that once the new system is functional, members have to take a few quick steps to "synch accounts", and after that, you should once again have ownership of the posts you've made so far.
    Will current private messages in our boxes be preserved after the "synching"?

If I'm reading this right, basically these forums will be shut down and archived (current open threads anyway) and you'll just relay sub-forums and shizzle to the SEF?
    Don't send me PM's I'm too classy for that kind of thing. (my inbox is full, kay?)
    signature image

K, will we have more options for skins on the Square Enix forums? I like white/clean forum skins, however even I find the current Square Enix forum too bright a skin at the moment.

I had assumed that the forums would be migrated across (posts and all) not just a fresh start (that suprisingly hadn't even crossed my mind!), so I am pleased to hear that that is going to go ahead.
    Wondering what ever happend to QA and where this Out Now, Patch Later culture came from!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Weemanply109 View Post
    If I'm reading this right, basically these forums will be shut down and archived (current open threads anyway) and you'll just relay sub-forums and shizzle to the SEF?
    "Shutting down" is not really a correct term in this instance.

The forum sections here and their content will continue to exist at SEF, so simply put, we're merely changing URLs and upgrading to a better version of forum software, while at the same time keeping a copy of the posts here at forums.eidosgames.com to prevent dead links on fansites, news sites, personal bookmarks, etc.

Nice to see you again, Adam. It's been ages, indeed!
    Good to see you around to sir Admin now I read

At least the forum software is still by the same manufacturer! but its still a big task to merge 2 forums together!

Quote Originally Posted by DjZ View Post
    but its still a big task to merge 2 forums together!
    Heh, indeed. In fact, we're merging even more than 2 boards together.

Is this new website or host site going to cause our computers to need some upgrading. I don't mean my laptop is ancient or anything but I've been on forums where they move their host site and I can't get on it because of all the stuff they put on it to make it "better".

Sorry if it's a weird question. I am just wondering.
    signature image

Dear Driber

Just to clarify, when you say the posts will echo our accounts and the threads will remain in a locked archive does that mean popular threads such as the The Thread of Randomness/Humble Abode, Fan Art Thread, Introduce Yourself Thread, FAQ, Members Photos, Poll threads and our Game Threads will remain available for us to look at but will be locked and we will need to start new threads for these again? Or to put it simply are they just being moved to the new site and we can all carry on as normal?

It would be such as shame to see some of these well fleshed out threads to just end.

What does this also mean for various titles for people with Gamer/Protagonist/Hero/etc

All the best
    Danielsun
    'I made you a pie'. 'ooh what flavour is it?'. 'pie flavour...'
    signature image

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast