08-13-2013, 03:46 AM
by Raina Audron
FAQ: War for Nosgoth
War for Nosgoth FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions
This is a collection of questions and answers found in this thread. This FAQ´s purpose is primarily to summarize everything we currently know about War for Nosgoth game without the need to shovel through 30+ pages of discussion. All the answers were kindly provided by Eidos Community Manager, George Kellion (thank you so much!). More Q&A will be added later.
Nosgoth is not an MMO. It's a competitive online multiplayer experience (...with a bit of a twist).
1. What genre is War for Nosgoth? Is it an MMO or MOBA type of game?
Nosgoth will not be an MMORPG and Nosgoth doesn't look or play anything like DoTA2 or LoL.
While Nosgoth is unlike any other competitive online multiplayer game that I've played or am familiar with, the closest comparison is probably Unreal Championship 2. Not sure if Nosgoth is all that similar, but I suppose it's closer to that than a traditional LoK game, an MMO or a MOBA.
Because of the concept - it's the game we and the devs wanted to make.
2. Why is it multiplayer and not singleplayer?
Inevitably, due to the nature of this game being multiplayer, story will not be as prominent a factor in moment-to-moment gameplay as with previous LoK games, which hopefully will address your point about newcomers. Nevertheless, as fans of the series, it's our hope that what we are doing within the lore will encourage newcomers to be engaged by the series' rich backstory and convert them into LoK aficionados.
Nosgoth is not a mobile game. Also, we're mostly influenced by LoK:SR1... make of that what you will.
3. Is Nosgoth a mobile game or a potential next gen title?
Nosgoth is online.
4. Can the game be played offline?
Yes, but I can't reveal what it is yet. We announced the game early and gave details on its context, but I'm afraid there's gonna be a bit of a gap between now and the time we release screenshots etc.
5. Is there any specific date (or season) that you are all planning on revealing Nosgoth?
Right now, we're all heads-down and nose to the grindstone in the preparation phase, getting all the various materials in place etc, and we want to make sure that the game feels right before speaking about it more plainly and openly.
I can tell you truthfully that Nosgoth has been built as an LoK game from the ground up. Making sure that we respect the series canon is something we take very seriously. I know you'll think I'd say that anyway, but we're devoted fans of the lore established in the previous games, so it's only natural we'd want to ensure Nosgoth both complements them and expands upon them.
6. Will the lore of previous Legacy of Kain games stay intact?
No, Nosgoth does not use the same story as Dead Sun (even slightly).
7. Does Nosgoth use the same story as Dead Sun?
Nosgoth is not open-world.
8. Will Nosgoth include an open world to explore?
Windows PC, but that may be expanded over time.
9. Can you answer what platforms we will see the title on?
Right now, Nosgoth only supports mouse & keyboard.
10. Will this game have controller input support?? Or will it rely only on keyboard input?
11. Is there going to be a demo of the game available?
Nosgoth is a third-person game; there's no first-person camera available.
12. Is the game "Nosgoth" played in 1st person, from 3rd person or bird's eye camera view?
That would indeed be inaccurate.
13. Would it be unfair or terribly innacurate to say the game could be described as a Horde Mode style competitive multiplayer?
I wouldn't say an in-game training mode is really necessary - it's a very intuitive game and we've ensure that it's as pick-up-and-playable as possible. We'd rather create an environment where you just dived right in and got into the action straight away.
14. Is there a training mode in the game?
I've been playing Nosgoth since last December! It's come on a LONG way and I can honestly say that - as somebody who traditionally prefers playing solo narrative-driven games - it's made me appreciate multiplayer gaming in a whole new light and enjoy it in a whole new way.
15. So I’m getting the impression from the above that you’ve now played Nosgoth?
In all seriousness, it's a helluva lot of fun to play - that's definitely been the focus of the development team, making a fun game you'll want to come back to over and over.
Regarding extraneous information, the answer is "yes" and "no". "Yes" in the sense that we've done our very best to absorb all knowledge about LoK's narrative as revealed in the games and elsewhere, and "no" in the sense that it's not really relevant to Nosgoth. As I said in my statement, Nosgoth is very much on a seperate branch of the LoK mythos to Soul Reaver and Blood Omen (and, by extension, Defiance). It's definitely the same familiar universe, though.
16. Will the information given outside of the games such as in FAQs be taken into account?
Additionally, by having Nosgoth exist on a different branch to SR and BO (but within the same continuity), we're going out of our way to avoid "butchering" the game and, by extension, the IP.
The game will be very violent, but as far as I'm aware the Soul Reaver sword does not appear in the game. Neither do Kain or Raziel for very good reasons - they're both busy doing... other things at the time of the game's setting. They're in Nosgoth (obviously), but they're not in Nosgoth (as in the game). It would make no sense for them to be so, narrative-wise. As explained before, it's on a separate branch of the IP, but is in continuity with the overall lore. Also, Anarcrothe is NOT playable, totally wrong time-frame.
17. Is the game gory and will there be Kain and Raziel in it?
Wrong! It's a good guess, but it's not the one.
18. Will the game be set during Moebius's crusade?
LoK's Werewolves aren't in Nosgoth... but I do think that's a really neat idea you have there, FWIW.
19. Are there werewolves in the game?
Wait and see.
20. Will Nosgoth have some DLC or achievements?
Nosgoth will be the best looking LoK game to date.
21. Can we expect good graphics?
The land is corrupted in Nosgoth.
22. In the game Nosgoth are we dealing with corrupted Nosgoth or healed Nosgoth?
23. Are vampires a playable race (faction, characters, you name it) in the upcoming game Nosgoth?
Yes, but they aren't Hylden, that wouldn't work with the game's setting
24. Are there any non-vampire playables?
25. Will we revisit known areas of Nosgoth in the new game? Will we see new areas?
26. Will there be a lot and a lot of weapons?
No guns, but do remember Nosgoth is place where flamethrowers exist.
27. You mentioned weapons, are we talking swords, crossbows, axes, maces etc…please tell me there aren’t any guns?
Um... kind of. The focus is very much on combat, at least for the time being.
28. Is it solely combat orientated?
Again kind of, but there are no bosses in the game as it's a competitive multiplayer experience (...with a twist). You do gain experience, but it's not like XP in an RPG.
29. Will there be levels in the game e.g. defeat a boss you move to the next level or get a power up?
30. Will Nosgoth have its own Twitter and Facebook accounts? If yes, will they be launched at the same time with the official site?
Regarding HD ports and remakes of SR or BO games... I'm really the wrong guy to ask, I'm afraid. I mean, I'm very far away from that kind of decision making and don't really have any insight to share about that. While I'm the CM for Nosgoth, that doesn't give me visibility on every aspect of the LoK franchise as a whole, nor am I party to all decisions made about its future.
31. Can you do something about HD remakes of Legacy of Kain games?
Last edited by The Hylden; 08-13-2013 at 09:24 AM.
08-13-2013, 08:32 AM
by The Hylden
This FAQ will be updated as new information is revealed. It will remain closed for reference purposes only.
Tags for this Thread