Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Official forums exclusive dev Q&A session #14 (Answers for you!)

1. The new Tomb Raider was announced in 2010 (?) and got released in March 2013. Will we have to wait again this long for the sequel?

2. Will Rhianna Pratchett be on board to write the story? Same crew as last time?

Quote Originally Posted by Metalrocks View Post

1. will we have any playable flashbacks of lara and sam? to explain their friendship, like how they have met and what they have done?

2. will a romantic relationship be considered for lara? like sam?
    this is really interesting...

PS: Sorry for (probably) bad English, greetings from Germany!
    Last edited by VaBanes; 07-30-2013 at 02:02 PM.

Will lara look the same in the next game?
    You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.

Quote Originally Posted by VaBanes View Post
    1. The new Tomb Raider was announced in 2010 (?) and got released in March 2013. Will we have to wait again this long for the sequel?

2. Will Rhianna Pratchett be on board to write the story? Same crew as last time?

PS: Sorry for (probably) bad English, greetings from Germany!
    Good questions
    Quote Originally Posted by MagnaBass View Post
    Will lara look the same in the next game?
    You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.

I'm not sure if this can be answered yet, but I'll ask anyhoo. The questions aren't necessarily aimed to TR2/10 specifically, but could apply to the future in general. Would these be considered for the future sort of thing.

1, In TR'13 Lara learned quite a few essential skills for survival: hunting, overcoming fear of heights, being resourceful with weapons and tools, combat etc.

So will her skills continue to grow, be improved. Will we see her adapt these skills for new challenges that 'old' Lara is known for such as getting passed traps and/or other environmental hazards?

2, (A sort of continuation of #1) Will Lara use the bow in other ways other than as zip lines, or will we see her use other items to combine/adapt to overcome obstacles rather than having top of the range gear?

My questions are always so long winded. If chosen, I hope Meagan can adapt them .

1. The dev team previously mentioned that they intend to make Lara more human and realistic than her previous incarnations. Will some concepts and ideas commonly associated with Tomb Raider the series and/or the 2013 installment be deconstructed?

Example involving her bodycount at Yamatai:
    With deconstruction: Other characters worry about how easy it is for Lara to kill others, while Lara becomes extremely indifferent about killing someone. In fact, she may kill a surrendered and disarmed enemy in cold blood out of spite.
    Without deconstruction: No psychological effects from killing is seen from Lara, and other characters do not change their attitude towards Lara even if she kills civilians.

2. Would Lara's lethality vary depending on who she's fighting? For example, if there is an evil enemy attempting to shoot her, she will kill him brutally; however, if there is a mind controlled enemy who would otherwise do her no harm, then she will try to subdue him non-lethally or at least kill him mercifully.

Well I doubt this early they'll be able to reveal anything about the actual sequel so i'll try to keep my questions to things they can talk about.

1) Compared to the current generation of consoles how much easier are you finding it to develop for the PS 4(especially) and the Xbox One?

2) Are you planning on keeping the cinematic approach in the sequel or will it be more like previous Tomb Raider games?

Q1. How much was the production cost for TR (in million) including and excluding marketing cost?

Q2. Can you reveal how many copies TR sold till now?

Gathering questions and closing this thread! Hope to have answers for you guys by the end of the week.

Answer time!

1) Metal Rocks: Will a romantic relationship be considered for Lara? Like Sam?

2) A Big House: At any point during pre-prod, did anyone think that underwater swimming could have been incorporated into the game to create a whole new level of combat and puzzle solving? If so, explain everything?

3) Yansazonov: Is it true that Camilla really does the tricks for the game? How
    many and what sort? (In the end Lara is carrying Sam, for example).

AND

A Big House: During the start of the game, we see Lara hanging upside down before setting herself on fire. During Camilla's time in The Volume, was she hung upside down for that particular part?

4) Adobe Artist: Since the new game was all about Lara growing and developing her survival skills, the leveling/upgrading mechanic was a great game play feature for the players to experience Lara's growth alongside her. So for the next game will we see a return of this game design?

But would that also mean starting over (level 1 again) to upgrade all over again, which in a sense would be undoing all the progress she made as a person in the first game (of this new timeline)? Or do you now feel a leveling/upgrading system is no longer necessary for the next stage of Lara's adventures, when she's at that point of already being fully developed coming out of the island experience?

5) MangaBass: Will Lara look the same in the next game?

Quote Originally Posted by MeaganMarie View Post
    Answer time!

[faq=1) Metal Rocks: Will a romantic relationship be considered for Lara? Like Sam?]

Noah Hughes: She doesn’t have room for a significant other in her life – she doesn’t have enough left over after archeology and what becomes Tomb Raiding
    Hopes. dashed.
    signature image

So I'm fine with a romantic relationship not being integrated into future installments (for now), but I still think side characters are important to the reboot. While there are an infinite number of ways for Lara to show emotion without having side characters, I think what I've craved for so long is to see the humanity we saw in the most recent game, and the most recent game has left me craving how Lara will act around people in the future - especially after such a traumatic event on the island.

Noah Hughes: Noah Hughes: We did a lot of game sequences that were not captured, for example, like hanging upside down in the den. We captured Camilla’s voice for it, but we didn’t capture her performance, so that was done primarily by the animators. Whereas with something like jumping to Roth in the opening trailer, we really did make her jump and land against a wall, because we wanted to capture that scene and we benefited by really capturing physicality.

Other places like when she’s gets blown over by the wind, we had her tied to a rope and we’d yank her sideways. Because if she just jumped sideways, it would look like a jump. So any place we could capture her performance, we did put her through her paces, and that included throwing her at walls and tugging her from ropes, and fighting – we actually had them flip her. In some cases we would get stunt doubles to do the pure action moments, but in most cases we’d get acting right into those action moments, and so when we were doing that it was best to use Camilla. [From official forum Q&A session #14 (August 2013)]

OMG lol! This made me giggle a bit. I can imagine Camilla being yanked around.
    Single, you want somethin?

Is it too late to ask questions now?

Quote Originally Posted by pirate1802 View Post
    For August anyway.

I love the answer for the romance.

But whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
    yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy in the name of all that is food.... do they think underwater combat is necessary? Underwater exploration for the sake of diversity in movement, exploration and a different set of challenges. What are we going to do, have an underwater shootout? ._.

We need swimming. In a necessary kind of way.

edit: And Camilla being tugged by a rope sound so painful... if it was wrapped around her waste at least.

Great answers.

The year when Tomb Raider exclude underwater segments, Resident Evil: Revelation, Call of Duty: Ghosts and Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag added it for the first time in the series.

Yay both of my questions were answered!

Nice answers . Thanks to Meagan and Noah.

About swimming. In the past, Lara has maybe had to fight just a handful of enemies underwater, such as sharks or the divers (TR2 comes to mind). Fighting does not need to be a part of swimming segments. I think CD are saying that swimming should be a full TR experience, but I don't see why you can't have that without fighting, bar a couple of nasty creatures that you can avoid as much as tackle. Sometimes it's just nice to explore without the threat of enemies and swimming is an idea way to do that. Mind you, I was pretty rubbish at fighting the TR2 divers, I'd often try to find a way to get out of the water and shoot at them from land.

And poor Camilla, some of that treatment in the name of acting sounds painful. No wonder she ended up bruised. So Thank you Camilla for going through all that in aid of creating a really awesome Lara.

Quote Originally Posted by pomeranianpuppy View Post
    Hopes. dashed.

welcome on board.

well, at least this question has been answered. thanks

also nice answer about camilla. lol, getting pulled around and has to jump at walls. that would have been nice to see in an making of under extras.
    signature image

lol, I'm growing increasingly concerned by how many My Little Pony references you know, Rowan 0_o

Quote Originally Posted by pirate1802 View Post
    For this session, yes, but don't worry - we'll start #15 soon!

Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

First of all, thanks a lot to Meagan and Noah for the answers!

I'm glad Lara won't have relationships

And I also hope to see Lara swimming in TR10!

Nice answers! Thanks Meagan and Noah!
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by pidipidi39 View Post
    I'm glad Lara won't have relationships
    Yeah, me too lol

For all of you who want to have Lara a relationship with Sam, I think:
    Gay Lara would be fine but definitely no relationship. Just to be "double sure" she wont get off with some male character. :P

Quote Originally Posted by VaBanes View Post
    For all of you who want to have Lara a relationship with Sam, I think:
    Gay Lara would be fine but definitely no relationship. Just to be "double sure" she wont get off with some male character. :P
    lol

Biased much?

Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast