View Poll Results: Do you want to see Croft Manor return?

Voters
141. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - in the next game (TR10)

119 84.40%
  • Yes - but in TR11 or later.

12 8.51%
  • No - I hate mazes.

5 3.55%
  • Don't care / No Opinion

5 3.55%
Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you want to see Croft Manor (Lara's mansion) back in TR10 or later?

Default Do you want to see Croft Manor (Lara's mansion) back in TR10 or later?

You saw it, folks - the devs would like to see your feedback on this (link), so let's show the TR crew what you would prefer

Edit: A collage of past Croft Manors. Thanks to dark7angel!

(click image to enlarge)

----------------------------------

Update: November 1, 2013

Forum member TRJTA re-created the outside of the classic manor in HD. Check out his thread -- which includes an awesome HD remake of the TR1 manor intro FMV -- here: http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=139744

Update, Sep 14, 2013 - Here's some fun reading:

Business2Community – “Tomb Realtor: Lara Croft’s Manor For Sale” [Link]

PSU: “Lara Croft’s mansion is worth how much?” [Link]

Update: And here are some awesome manor fan renders, for inspiration! Credits go to LegendLost

Original

Redone(mostly Finished)

Redone

Indoor Pool Original

Redone(not finished)

Finished

---

Edit: Thread merged with Valenka's thread on Lara's manor. His OP:

Quote Originally Posted by Valenka View Post
    Warning: Spoiler Alert! for anyone who hasn't read the below mentioned graphic novel.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...-the-beginning

In the graphic novel, The Beginning, that came as a preorder bonus from some retailers and packaged with the collector's edition of Tomb Raider (2013), there's a little blurb involving Lara's wealth that got me thinking about Croft Manor.

Within the text, in a scene where Dr. Whitman stresses over being able to finance the expedition, he inquires to Roth about Lara's wealth, essentially asking, "Isn't Lara rich?" to which Roth replies something along the lines of, "Yes, but she's got her money locked up so tight, she couldn't touch it if she wanted to. She wants to make her own way."

It's slightly foreshadowing that we may never see Croft Manor, at least not for quite some time, anyway. If Lara intends to work and make her own money (as she did working as a waitress or bartender at the Nine Bells pub in England), she wouldn't live immodestly in either of the three manors earned in her inheritance and may instead live in her own apartment of the sort. If she doesn't have access to her inheritance funds or otherwise, she wouldn't be able to afford Croft Manor's upkeep.

If that is in fact the case, it makes Croft Manor the setting of Rise of the Tomb Raider's announcement trailer (the scene with Lara's therapist) less and less likely.

While I would love for the return of Croft Manor, I honestly would rather they didn't include it now that they've essentially hinted to the fact that Lara has to work for a living or obtain finance through other means of earning her way. However, isn't it a little hard to do that when you're globe-trotting for sport and discovering the truth behind the myths we've heard? Even still, how does she even finance these adventures?

Too many questions that need answering, I'd say.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Driber; 08-21-2014 at 12:24 AM. Reason: update

Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

HELL YEAH!
    a rebooted Croft manor with mini games and cool new rooms would breathe fresh life into it
    signature image

If it properly serves the game and story and is not shoehorned in for the sake of fanservice, sure.

mini games
    Yeah, like a pinball machine, a dartboard, Texas Hold 'm poker, that would be awesome...

I also still think the manor would make for a great multiplayer map.

Yes,

Completely redone with booby traps!
    Single, you want somethin?

Anyone up for Photoshopping a nice collage of Croft manors (classic and LAU versions) to place in the OP?

Quote Originally Posted by Jurre View Post
    the manor would make for a great multiplayer map.
    That it would, indeed.

Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

I voted 'don't care'. I don't want it there if it's artificial. Only if there is a need for it in the story.

I enjoyed what the devs came up with for Laras Mansion in TR Anniversary. Loved the commentary and the puzzles. Using the mansion as a bonus area via preorder a special edition or DLC, would be a great way to include the great puzzles that they can come up with maybe leaving them out of the main game so regular gamers dont struggle too much with them.

(The mansion was so creative, I hope this time they hide the ark somewhere because Lucas doesnt own the ark of the covenant.)

Quote Originally Posted by _Ninja_ View Post
    I voted 'don't care'. I don't want it there if it's artificial. Only if there is a need for it in the story.
    You would seriously like the game less if there was Croft manor like it was done in ANY of the past games?

All I'm saying is that it shouldn't be a priority that dictates other elements of the game. It shouldn't be there just for the sake of being there.

I don't want them thinking, "We've got this cool idea for a setting but we can't do it because we need to put the mansion in the game".

Oh I don't think that will happen, either way

The mansion should be the main hub for the whole game...

Croft Manor is an awesome part of TR to explore with lots of hidden rooms (especially in TR3). I love how it gives this element that Lara has this great life that she could jut stay there and yet she chooses to go out and explore.

I would REALLY like to see Croft Manor back for TR10 so I choose the top answer.
    signature image

I would definitely like to see something like Croft Manor

I would be interested to see how such a huge, sprawling house is fitted into the reboot. And I agree, it would make a great multiplayer map - I'm imagining a TR2 situation when the last level was Lara running around the place shooting enemies

BLOODY YUS

Super Duper Yes!
    I miss the manor D:

How is this even debateable??

And I just saw now this poll is born out of my Dev Q&A question
    Last edited by adobeARTIST; 06-25-2013 at 02:30 PM.
    signature image

Found a sneak peak of croft manor!
    Single, you want somethin?

Yes.

*is hoping to see Sam's clothes somewhere in the manor.*

Quote Originally Posted by Wild View Post
    Yes.

*is hoping to see Sam's clothes somewhere in the manor.*
    *you mean somehwere on the manor's floor, amiright?*
    signature image

I would love to see a rebooted mansion for the next game. I would love to see more interaction with objects and stuff. Such as turning on stereos, tv's, maybe going to a walk in closet and picking out outfits to use in the manor, something to do outside. I would love to see some things that are from previous TR games. Not a lot but sort of little aha moments.

It kind of seems to me that as soon as TR ends Lara heads out to another adventure. She says she's not going home so we may not see a mansion in TR 2.

BTW, I know people called this game TR 9 and the next TR 10 which is technically correct but since they're a new series I started calling them TR and TR 2, but that may be confusing, because of the previous series.
    signature image

^I think that 'I'm not going home' line was as much a metaphor than it was a real meaning. I see it as this is Lara making her choice not to go back to her easy cosy life, this is her changed as someone who no longer feels they can live a regular life anymore. It may not literally mean she's going straight on an adventure from the ship. She may not go 'home' yet but she will no doubt take some time to assess her options.

I'm kinda with Ninja on this. I loved playing in the manor in previous games. It served as a training level of sorts with fun stuff to do. however, in the past, it was always Lara's home, it was hers (inherited?) and she changed it to suit her purposes. With Lara's new bio the family home is not hers (yet) unless both parents are deceased, and even so Lara refuses to touch her parents' money, so she can't or won't modify her home for her training needs. I suppose it is reasonable to assume Lara would visit the house, even use it as a base before setting off on an adventure, but without her personal modifications it wouldn't have her personal stamp on it, like previous manors did. I can't see it feeling the same. I dunno there would have to be a story reason for her to be there. I wouldn't want it thrown in just because of fan demand. I also hate mazes....where's the 'undecided, I'll vote later' option?

Quote Originally Posted by adobeARTIST View Post
    *you mean somehwere on the manor's floor, amiright?*

Abso-in-lutely.
    "One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter."

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by a big house View Post
    The mansion should be the main hub for the whole game...
    this is a great idea!!!! allow me to elaborate why I'd like it if there was a facebook button!

Going with the whole survivor theme, the mansion could be used to select maybe 2 weapons, a couple gadgets, an outfit, and off we go!!!!! Sort of like hitman since it would allow the players strategy in their gameplay which of course we all love.

(pssssssssssst I loved all the books in croft manor original, lets see that again even with more fun facts so we all can get more points at quizzo which is a drinking game using trivia.)

Quote Originally Posted by Lara_Fan_84 View Post
    BTW, I know people called this game TR 9 and the next TR 10 which is technically correct but since they're a new series I started calling them TR and TR 2, but that may be confusing, because of the previous series.
    I agree with you; naming the next game TR2 as well is just confusing. Another poster also mentioned TR2 in this thread, meaning actually TR2, so using the same name for completely different games is just creating a mess, especially for the new fans who may not be familiar with the series' history

There's no need to call the next game TR2, because regardless of reboot, it's still the 10th game in the series

Quote Originally Posted by Rai View Post
    ^I think that 'I'm not going home' line was as much a metaphor than it was a real meaning. I see it as this is Lara making her choice not to go back to her easy cosy life, this is her changed as someone who no longer feels they can live a regular life anymore. It may not literally mean she's going straight on an adventure from the ship. She may not go 'home' yet but she will no doubt take some time to assess her options.
    Yup, that's how I interpreted that line, too.

Of course Lara is going home, first. The crew will need to investigate, organize, plan, fund, collect gear and resources, and probably also recruit new crew members before setting off for their next adventure

I also hate mazes....where's the 'undecided, I'll vote later' option?
    Easy solution - you'll simply... vote later

Quote Originally Posted by BridgetFisher View Post
    this is a great idea!!!! allow me to elaborate why I'd like it if there was a facebook button!
    You like FB buttons so much? Okay, here ya go

Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast