Page 1 of 43 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Xbox One & PS4

Default Xbox One & PS4

Edit by Driber:

This is now a dedicated PS4 & XB1 thread. Use this thread for off topic (i.e. not related to TR) discussions about XB1 and PS4 so to avoid derailing other threads

/edit

Quote Originally Posted by Driber View Post
    Indeed.

The world pretty much knows who Lara Croft is, whether you are a fan of the game or not. Even non-gamers knows who she is. She's a cultural icon, regardless of the frequency of her name being dropped in the media.

COD may sell like hot-cakes, but I doubt many people outside the COD fanbase could name any of their characters
    Well COD now has a new mascot

Last edited by Driber; 09-07-2014 at 05:36 AM. Reason: update.
    signature image

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Daftvirgin View Post

Xbox One at the big reveal, they showed it can make dogs, hmmmm ok, dont really care or know what they were thinking over there that anyone would find this groundbreaking that they can make dogs. I still love the fact that the Xbox Reveal its presentation, and preperation are estimated to have cost over 160 million dollars. I loved the part where they went into explicit detail about how I can watch TV on my TV, or use social media to auto post my game progress to twitter or facebook. I made this image to show how little I cared, also didnt care about the failed kinect that has yet to have any application. Pretty sure everyone owns a smart tv today, in fact ALL tvs made now are smart tvs, they have netflix, youtube and facebook apps. So the xbox doing it isnt anything new if my tv that is a year old does most of that already. Id rather a game console please, then again Im crazy, I thought game consoles were for games, not Fios interactive media online.

Quote Originally Posted by Daftvirgin View Post

A Mascot is Born
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by BridgetFisher View Post
    You'd be amazed at how many people actually use those features. I use Netflix, YouTube, Facebook and sometimes Skype, so having those on my Xbox are a convenience. The world doesn't revolve around a single person, you know. Microsoft is thinking about what appeals to everyone - some people will use those features, some won't. Don't complain just because you have no interest in them.
    "Did somebody say 'vodka?'"
    signature imagesignature image

Yep. Things are much more social now. I'm not surprised that they're taking this route with Xbox One, tbqh. LOTS of people will use these features.
    Don't send me PM's I'm too classy for that kind of thing. (my inbox is full, kay?)
    signature image

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Valenka View Post
    You'd be amazed at how many people actually use those features. I use Netflix, YouTube, Facebook and sometimes Skype, so having those on my Xbox are a convenience. The world doesn't revolve around a single person, you know. Microsoft is thinking about what appeals to everyone - some people will use those features, some won't. Don't complain just because you have no interest in them.
    I understand that but all tvs made now do that already, so its nothing new. its just redundancy, if their gonna show something off it can do that is new for 160 million dollars they shoulda came up with something better then what my one year old tv can do or my ipad, haha. I mean for 160 milion dollars I want to see something ANYTHING that would amaze me, instead I got nada, and Im an xbox fan, so that is just sad. but hey as one poster noted it can make dogs, amazing what 160 million will buy :P

Bridget has a point. Consoles need to be focused on games and gamers and with this next generation it seems like the PS 4 is doing that more than the Xbox One which is the reverse of what happened this generation where Sony tried to be the all in one machine while the 360 was more game centric.

Quote Originally Posted by Murphdawg1 View Post
    Bridget has a point. Consoles need to be focused on games and gamers and with this next generation it seems like the PS 4 is doing that more than the Xbox One which is the reverse of what happened this generation where Sony tried to be the all in one machine while the 360 was more game centric.
    So because it has a handful of additional features, you make the assumption that its primary focus is not on gaming and gamers?

So because it has a handful of additional features, you make the assumption that its primary focus is not on gaming and gamers?
    That just isn't my opinion but yes most people did not think Microsoft did themselves any favors at the reveal of the Xbox One. I mean essentially the One is going to work like a PC where you have to put the disc in and then install the game to your hard drive(which can't be removed) so where's the advantage of owning a One over a PC?

That just isn't my opinion but yes most people did not think Microsoft did themselves any favors at the reveal of the Xbox One.
    Just because some people were disappointed with what they heard at the conference does not mean that Xbox One will not be gaming/gamer centric. I personally was impressed and I'm not jumping to conclusions before official answers are even given.

I mean essentially the One is going to work like a PC where you have to put the disc in and then install the game to your hard drive(which can't be removed) so where's the advantage of owning a One over a PC?
    That 'feature' is one of many that people continue to bring up, completely oblivious to the fact that Microsoft stated that it's still being considered and altered. It's not final yet.

I'm sorry, I know this was not directed at me, but I thought it may be OK to add my thoughts, as I've been following it at least somewhat closely. I see the number of features as being problematic in this way: it takes up RAM. Any amount less of RAM for gaming taken by features such as fantasy sports, Skype and the like that some people will not use is pretty bad for those who will never even want to use them, and in a way hurts those who will be interested in them, because that RAM is still being taken away from the gaming aspect.

As far as these features making the focus not gaming, I'd say yes and no. E3 hasn't happened yet, so we'll see. But the reveal? That was not gaming centric at all. I was excited for it, watched the whole thing and all it seemed to deliver was how TV based it was.

That 'feature' is one of many that people continue to bring up, completely oblivious to the fact that Microsoft stated that it's still being considered and altered. It's not final yet.
    I am genuinely interested, not trying to be a condensing jerk: can I have a link to this? As mentioned above, I've been trying to follow this and last I heard was an interview posted on GS with the VP of Microsoft saying in a very roundabout way that, yes indeed installs are required, however that was about a week ago, so I do believe more could have come up about it.
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by EowynFan View Post
    I'm sorry, I know this was not directed at me, but I thought it may be OK to add my thoughts, as I've been following it at least somewhat closely. I see the number of features as being problematic in this way: it takes up RAM. Any amount less of RAM for gaming taken by features such as fantasy sports, Skype and the like that some people will not use is pretty bad for those who will never even want to use them, and in a way hurts those who will be interested in them, because that RAM is still being taken away from the gaming aspect.
    And just like on Xbox 360, I'm sure some apps that you aren't interested in can be uninstalled.

As far as these features making the focus not gaming, I'd say yes and no. E3 hasn't happened yet, so we'll see. But the reveal? That was not gaming centric at all. I was excited for it, watched the whole thing and all it seemed to deliver was how TV based it was.
    The fact of the matter is, just because additional features are added for your entertainment does in no way confirm that Microsoft's focus is not on gaming.

I am genuinely interested, not trying to be a condensing jerk: can I have a link to this? As mentioned above, I've been trying to follow this and last I heard was an interview posted on GS with the VP of Microsoft saying in a very roundabout way that, yes indeed installs are required, however that was about a week ago, so I do believe more could have come up about it.
    I don't bookmark everything I find on the Internet.
    I'm sure a simple Google search will heed the results you desire. Try searching "Xbox One Conference Follow Up" or something similar. The article was on either Game Informer or Kotaku or something of the sort.

And just like on Xbox 360, I'm sure some apps that you aren't interested in can be uninstalled.

The fact of the matter is, just because additional features are added for your entertainment does in no way confirm that Microsoft's focus is not on gaming.

I'm sure a simple Google search will heed the results you desire. Try searching "Xbox One Conference Follow Up" or something similar. The article was on either Game Informer or Kotaku or something of the sort.
    But do you not understand that the PS 4 is going to be alot easier to develop for than the PS 3 was and that Sony is making the PS 4 Indie friendly as well? Things that supposedly Microsoft did well with the 360 are now going to Sony. Which is fine by me since the only console i'll be getting is the PS 4 but if you're an Xbox fan you have to be letdown after that reveal.

Smile

But do you not understand that the PS 4 is going to be alot easier to develop for than the PS 3 was and that Sony is making the PS 4 Indie friendly as well? Things that supposedly Microsoft did well with the 360 are now going to Sony. Which is fine by me since the only console i'll be getting is the PS 4 but if you're an Xbox fan you have to be letdown after that reveal.
    MADNESS!!!! How and when is the PS4 or the new xbox one more developer friendly? Their inadequate use of processors and internal architecture are a nightmare for development, there were people getting PHD's writing thesis papers on how to take advantage of the architecture in the PS3 and 360 and it was pure FAIL, due to their terrible design. Far as I know at M$ they still lack the engineering talent to make that work, maybe PS4 can but doubtful, their just going to slap in more processors into some archaic array that may or may never be able to used like the last generation, seems to be what those two companies do, the engineers at both always seem outta their league when it comes to consoles, both companies kept solvent and running not by their consoles but other products on the consumer marketplace as they struggle to keep up with Nintendo.

What is Nintendo?

Shanghai! Hong Kong! Egg Fu Yung! Fortune cookie always wrong!

I cannot comment on this one way or the other, as we have no official word from MS, the features seem too central to the purpose of the devise to just get rid of them. It's always good to think positive though, and I can certainly see it being a possibility.

Again, I'll say yes and no is still my opinion as we have not seen all E3 (and MS) has to offer. For now, I do not know how gaming focused the X1 will be. All I'm saying is that the reveal in particular was not gaming centric.

Hmmmm, been looking but to no avail unfortunately; again I am not saying I do not believe it's possible, just that I cannot find anything when taking a good look at both Kotaku and GI. I'm just wondering if MS would back pedal on their mandatory install and used game restrictions, as they seem pretty firm to implement it in some format.

Let's hope that E3 is where everything is revealed, and revealed clearly because all of the speculation and oddly worded answers aren't doing anyone any good.
    Last edited by EowynFan; 05-29-2013 at 10:38 PM.
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Martok View Post
    What is Nintendo?

They have some good IPs, great ones actually. Super Smash Bros will rock, because it always does.

But that Wii U controller...it is not well received.
    signature image

They have some good IPs, great ones actually. Super Smash Bros will rock, because it always does.

But that Wii U controller...it is not well received.
    It looks almost like the Xbox controller except with the right stick above the face buttons instead of being below them.

It looks almost like the Xbox controller except with the right stick above the face buttons instead of being below them.
    The Wii U? The controller is essentially a tablet. It's a gigantic rectangle with a screen in the middle, analog sticks at the top and a D pad and face buttons to the sides.

Perhaps you are confusing this and the DualShock?
    signature image

MADNESS!!!! How and when is the PS4 or the new xbox one more developer friendly? Their inadequate use of processors and internal architecture are a nightmare for development, there were people getting PHD's writing thesis papers on how to take advantage of the architecture in the PS3 and 360 and it was pure FAIL, due to their terrible design. Far as I know at M$ they still lack the engineering talent to make that work, maybe PS4 can but doubtful, their just going to slap in more processors into some archaic array that may or may never be able to used like the last generation, seems to be what those two companies do, the engineers at both always seem outta their league when it comes to consoles, both companies kept solvent and running not by their consoles but other products on the consumer marketplace as they struggle to keep up with Nintendo.
    I have no clue how developer friendly the Xbox One will be but for the current generation between the 360 and PS 3 it is the 360 that was determined to be easier to develop for.

The Wii U? The controller is essentially a tablet. It's a gigantic rectangle with a screen in the middle, analog sticks at the top and a D pad and face buttons to the sides.

Perhaps you are confusing this and the DualShock?

I was referring to that.

I was referring to that.
    Oh! OK. The Wii U Pro. I understand. I was referring the tablet one (obviously) not being well received.
    signature image

Smile

I have no clue how developer friendly the Xbox One will be but for the current generation between the 360 and PS 3 it is the 360 that was determined to be easier to develop for.
    What makes the Xbox 360 much more indie friendly isnt the garbage engineering involved in making it, heh heh heeeeeeeeeeeeeeh. Its the fact that M$ is very helpful with indy developers and always have been. They have an entire department with dev consoles and everything that indy devs are free to use, xbox is way ahead on that, then again that is here in America, maybe japan has the same thing for japanese game develoepers over there I have no dea, but for an indy dev in say sweden to use those facilities of course they would have to to go to washington state in America.

Please, use some eloquent language otherwise I can't take you seriously. People might think you're a fanboy.
    signature image

Pretty sure everyone owns a smart tv today, in fact ALL tvs made now are smart tvs, they have netflix, youtube and facebook apps.
    Completely false.

Not everyone owns a smart TV. Far from it.

And not all TVs made today are smart TVs. Far from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Weemanply109 View Post
    Yep. Things are much more social now. I'm not surprised that they're taking this route with Xbox One, tbqh. LOTS of people will use these features.
    The world is actually getting less social when you think about it.

FB and Twitter are working hard at making this world a much less personal and shallow place. And if what BridgetFisher said is true ("I loved the part where they went into explicit detail about how I can watch TV on my TV, or use social media to auto post my game progress to twitter or facebook.") you just know it's going to make people even more lazy and attention whoring

You can't blame the guy - MS did portray that their focus is creating a multimedia machine, instead of just a gaming console.

That just isn't my opinion but yes most people did not think Microsoft did themselves any favors at the reveal of the Xbox One. I mean essentially the One is going to work like a PC where you have to put the disc in and then install the game to your hard drive(which can't be removed) so where's the advantage of owning a One over a PC?
    The advantage of consoles in general over PCs is still comfort. PCs allow users to install all kinds of dodgy or badly coded programs, causing conflicts with gaming. Plus, a console you always connect to a TV and you game from your comfy couch etc, whereas PC gamers are usually (not always) behind a desk. This also makes console gaming more social than PC gaming.

Just because some people were disappointed with what they heard at the conference does not mean that Xbox One will not be gaming/gamer centric. I personally was impressed and I'm not jumping to conclusions before official answers are even given.
    But you are - you said "And just like on Xbox 360, I'm sure some apps that you aren't interested in can be uninstalled"

MS put it out there, so criticism is fair game IMO.

If the makers of the platform of my choice, PlayStation, comes with a public announcement that states that they are probably going to inhibit the second hand market, I expect people to give them hell for this, as well. I'd probably join in, myself.

It does not confirm, no, but MS does show that's where their focus is going to be. Their whole mission statement is even in the freaking name of their next console FGS.

Yeah, it's way too early to make any statements about which next gen console is going to be more "developer friendly". Only time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Martok View Post
    What is Nintendo?

Only the most efficient and most successful console developer

Easier does not necessarily mean better.

We all know that MS pays big bucks for developers to choose their console over PS3 for development.

And not just development, but it also throws big bucks at marketing their brand. Perhaps because they know without such heavy marketing they'd lose devs to other consoles...

Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

Page 1 of 43 1234567891011 ... LastLast