Page 5 of 43 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 125 of 1053

Thread: Xbox One & PS4

  1. #101
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,106

    Default

    Piracy on consoles rarely occurs, mainly because a console isn't a tool as powerful as a computer in order to pirate it.
    signature image

  2. #102
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,923

    Default

    Yep. The statistics I was looking at showed that in 2011(?) the highest pirated game was downloaded only at 800,000-ish copies (If I remember correctly). Wii seems to be the worst for piracy numbers, though.
    Don't send me PM's I'm too classy for that kind of thing. (my inbox is full, kay?)
    signature image

  3. #103
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    1,978

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Weemanply109 View Post
    Surely the need for places like Gamestop, etc are in severe decline. The digital revolution is upon us and within years, we'll see the majority of our gaming content being delivered solely through digital distribution. (if that's what y'all are talking about)
    It's hardly a "revolution" when you consider that:

    A.) Not everyone wants digital to be the primary/only source of obtaining entertainment products.
    B.) Not everyone has a decent enough Internet connection to download as much as they would purchase physically.
    C.) Not everyone has Internet at all.
    D.) Some people prefer physical ownership.

    I can't see digital acquisitions becoming the next big thing until at least another couple of decades.

    Furthermore, to answer your question about the need for places like GameStop: do you know of any other outlet in which you could get top notch recommendations, a wide and varying selection, enthusiasm for the subject at hand and employees willing to spend the day chatting with you about video games and the industry?

    There are two types of people I've met while working at GameStop:

    1.) Those who know what they want and pick up their product and leave. (10%)
    2.) Those who want your input on specific games and/or genres, recommendations and to just have a general chat about the subject. (90%)

    I doubt that 90% would be happy about their ideal video game destination ceasing to exist. You can't get the benefits of GameStop while downloading Call of Duty 39.
    "Did somebody say 'vodka?'"
    signature imagesignature image

  4. #104
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    River Ridge, LA
    Posts
    1,749

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Valenka View Post

    Furthermore, to answer your question about the need for places like GameStop: do you know of any other outlet in which you could get top notch recommendations, a wide and varying selection, enthusiasm for the subject at hand and employees willing to spend the day chatting with you about video games and the industry?

    There are two types of people I've met while working at GameStop:

    1.) Those who know what they want and pick up their product and leave. (10%)
    2.) Those who want your input on specific games and/or genres, recommendations and to just have a general chat about the subject. (90%)

    I doubt that 90% would be happy about their ideal video game destination ceasing to exist. You can't get the benefits of GameStop while downloading Call of Duty 39.
    LOL! I'd dare say I flip flop between the two personalities.....OMG, I'm schizoid! GaaahhhhhH!!!!!


    But seriously, yeah, sometimes I'm that 10 percent that knows precisely what I want, get in, get it, and get gone. And then sometimes I'm the guy who wants to chat with the Game Advisors, and other customers if they are so inclined, about games.
    Shanghai! Hong Kong! Egg Fu Yung! Fortune cookie always wrong!

  5. #105
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Mater Urbium
    Posts
    19,834

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Weemanply109 View Post
    I'm speaking about the PC market, though. Those billions ain't coming from no PC market. It's overall (also, let's not forget that Acti overprices CoD to make the extra $$$ in revenue, unlike most of the market where most PC games are considerably cheaper). I was specifically talking about PC games. They're usually pirated more than the legit sales numbers. That was my point, nothing else to it. So consider putting those statistics into perspective with PC exclusive titles.
    Good point

    Though it bears mentioning that not all those pirated copies are a "direct loss" to the devs. Many folks pirate games (and music, and movies, etc) that they normally would not buy, anyway. I personally know people who do just that. And then there are those who pirate to try out a game before purchasing, often when no demo is available.

    Not that either of those reasons are justifications for piracy, of course. It's still wrong.

    Quote Originally Posted by Weemanply109 View Post
    Consider your point debunked?
    lol

    Well, not really, since I never made actual claims otherwise

    Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

  6. #106
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,923

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Valenka View Post
    It's hardly a "revolution" when you consider that:

    A.) Not everyone wants digital to be the primary/only source of obtaining entertainment products.
    B.) Not everyone has a decent enough Internet connection to download as much as they would purchase physically.
    C.) Not everyone has Internet at all.
    D.) Some people prefer physical ownership.

    I can't see digital acquisitions becoming the next big thing until at least another couple of decades.
    You have good points, tbh.

    BUT We're on the Xbox One thread, though. The specific console that requires internet connection every 24-hours (as rumoured) and requires a one-time online activation tied to an online account.

    People without internet won't be able to buy these "next generation" titles anyway, so putting them into the equation will soon be irrelevant if the rumours are true, me thinks. Not to mention that the next-gen console's will have a BIGGER focus on their own online marketplace for gaming, every game will be available online this time around (for PS4, atleast) so it means that accessibility to games are easier, also, let's not forget that these platforms are becoming more social. Recommendations could be listed (like Steam does, showing what your friends think) and metascores, and reviews and maybe even game-specific online forums, etc. The store page can provide video and photographic content to give you perspective on what to expect. All of which could phase out the need to go to a GameStop store to ask for any recommendations at all (though I do realise that some people prefer word of mouth rather than online reviews, recommendations, etc).

    It just seems like Microsoft and Sony want to cut out the middleman with next-gen consoles to some extent (of course to prevent used game sales and get a better profit margin) which could phase out physical market if it does work for them, regardless of those who prefer physical copies.

    Though, you have a first hand experience with retail work in the gaming market, so you can shoot me down if you disagree.

    Speaking of internet speeds, fibre optic broadband is becoming more widespread and general speeds and internet usage will increase in years to come.

    Judging by this, I think "decades" (more so the plural use of it) is a bit of an overstatement.
    Don't send me PM's I'm too classy for that kind of thing. (my inbox is full, kay?)
    signature image

  7. #107
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    512

    Default

    These threads are always great, implying either has one engineer capable of developing anything useful at either place, sony has the talent but their working on other things NOT the ps4, M$ lost theirs years ago before the 360, still havent been able to find anyone good, hence this one video I watched is with an interior designer who shows off his hashion designs for the xbox one, buwahahahaha, as if anyone cares!!!!!! Oh M$ and PS4 I cant quitcha........

    inb4 zomg they have so much power look at all those processors!!!! well, good luck figuring out how to use them, any dev will tell you the platforms are like a human brain 80% unusable, spoiler: their doing the same thing again, ooOOOOo, do love watching me a train wreck!!!

  8. #108
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    1,978

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Weemanply109 View Post
    BUT We're on the Xbox One thread, though. The specific console that requires internet connection every 24-hours (as rumoured) and requires a one-time online activation tied to an online account.
    I'm aware of the thread, silly goose. I'm also aware that you seem to not be keeping up with development. It was stated that the Xbox One does not require a constant Internet connection; it merely needs to be connected to perform its routine check to ensure you're playing legitimate copies of games. As for the one-time activation, that feature is still under construction and we've received word from Microsoft at work about how it'll work in the used game market. I just cannot reveal it myself.

    Quote Originally Posted by Weemanply109 View Post
    People without internet won't be able to buy these "next generation" titles anyway, so putting them into the equation will soon be irrelevant if the rumours are true, me thinks.
    People without Internet won't be able to acquire content digitally either, so I'm not sure what your point is.

    Quote Originally Posted by Weemanply109 View Post
    It just seems like Microsoft and Sony want to cut out the middleman with next-gen consoles to some extent (of course to prevent used game sales and get a better profit margin) which could phase out physical market if it does work for them, regardless of those who prefer physical copies.

    Though, you have a first hand experience with retail work in the gaming market, so you can shoot me down if you disagree.
    There's nothing I can legally say in response to that other than that Microsoft and Sony definitely have no plans of cutting out GameStop as a middleman. With that being said, it also goes hand-in-hand with the 'one-time activation' fiasco.

    Quote Originally Posted by Weemanply109 View Post
    Judging by this, I think "decades" (more so the plural use of it) is a bit of an overstatement.
    I disagree; the digital market has been around for approximately ten years now - give or take - and the masses have been slow to embrace it. Statistics show that gamers purchase more physical products than digital and film-goers go after DVDs and Blu rays more than digitally. So while some believe that the digital 'revolution' is upon is, it's moving at a glacial pace, especially while a larger percentage of consumers prefer physical copies of entertainment outlets. So my estimation of decades seems rather on point.

    Quote Originally Posted by BridgetFisher View Post
    These threads are always great, implying either has one engineer capable of developing anything useful at either place, sony has the talent but their working on other things NOT the ps4, M$ lost theirs years ago before the 360, still havent been able to find anyone good, hence this one video I watched is with an interior designer who shows off his hashion designs for the xbox one, buwahahahaha, as if anyone cares!!!!!! Oh M$ and PS4 I cant quitcha........

    inb4 zomg they have so much power look at all those processors!!!! well, good luck figuring out how to use them, any dev will tell you the platforms are like a human brain 80% unusable, spoiler: their doing the same thing again, ooOOOOo, do love watching me a train wreck!!!
    "Did somebody say 'vodka?'"
    signature imagesignature image

  9. #109
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,923

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Valenka View Post
    I'm aware of the thread, silly goose. I'm also aware that you seem to not be keeping up with development. It was stated that the Xbox One does not require a constant Internet connection; it merely needs to be connected to perform its routine check to ensure you're playing legitimate copies of games. As for the one-time activation, that feature is still under construction and we've received word from Microsoft at work about how it'll work in the used game market. I just cannot reveal it myself.


    There's nothing I can legally say in response to that other than that Microsoft and Sony definitely have no plans of cutting out GameStop as a middleman. With that being said, it also goes hand-in-hand with the 'one-time activation' fiasco.



    I disagree; the digital market has been around for approximately ten years now - give or take - and the masses have been slow to embrace it. Statistics show that gamers purchase more physical products than digital and film-goers go after DVDs and Blu rays more than digitally. So while some believe that the digital 'revolution' is upon is, it's moving at a glacial pace, especially while a larger percentage of consumers prefer physical copies of entertainment outlets. So my estimation of decades seems rather on point.
    Fair enough, you seem to know more than the rest of us right now, so I can't really add anything. So I'll hold off a bit till it's out in the open.

    BUT in response to:

    Quote Originally Posted by Valenka View Post
    People without Internet won't be able to acquire content digitally either, so I'm not sure what your point is.
    There wasn't really a significant point to it, I was just responding to your point where you mentioned that people whom don't have internet will still prefer to use gamestop when the next-gen console will kind of phase those people out from being able to play or even purchase any game due to the account-tied DRM.
    Don't send me PM's I'm too classy for that kind of thing. (my inbox is full, kay?)
    signature image

  10. #110

    Default

    I think The Escapist captured the whole XBox 1 mess very well in this cartoon.

    Makes sense to me!
    signature image

  11. #111
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    River Ridge, LA
    Posts
    1,749

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elliot Kane View Post
    I think The Escapist captured the whole XBox 1 mess very well in this cartoon.

    Makes sense to me!
    indeed.


    (And btw, I do remember "Demon Seed")
    Shanghai! Hong Kong! Egg Fu Yung! Fortune cookie always wrong!

  12. #112
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    1,978

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Weemanply109 View Post
    There wasn't really a significant point to it, I was just responding to your point where you mentioned that people whom don't have internet will still prefer to use gamestop when the next-gen console will kind of phase those people out from being able to play or even purchase any game due to the account-tied DRM.
    I understand, but that is based on the speculation that without an Internet connection, you won't be able to play at all. There's no telling what Microsoft has in store yet. For all we know, there might be an alternate way of validating the game you're playing for those without Internet. In addition, we're speaking of the Xbox One. Perhaps the PS4 will not share such a feature and those without Internet can purchase the PS4 instead.
    "Did somebody say 'vodka?'"
    signature imagesignature image

  13. #113
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,801

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BridgetFisher View Post
    These threads are always great, implying either has one engineer capable of developing anything useful at either place, sony has the talent but their working on other things NOT the ps4, M$ lost theirs years ago before the 360, still havent been able to find anyone good, hence this one video I watched is with an interior designer who shows off his hashion designs for the xbox one, buwahahahaha, as if anyone cares!!!!!! Oh M$ and PS4 I cant quitcha........

    inb4 zomg they have so much power look at all those processors!!!! well, good luck figuring out how to use them, any dev will tell you the platforms are like a human brain 80% unusable, spoiler: their doing the same thing again, ooOOOOo, do love watching me a train wreck!!!
    And this kids, is why you have to say NO to drugs
    signature image

  14. #114
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Mater Urbium
    Posts
    19,834

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Martok View Post
    indeed.


    (And btw, I do remember "Demon Seed")
    Utterly lame joke (the cartoon), but funny to see the Demon Seed reference, hehe.

    I remember that movie, too. And quite vividly so! Great movie for its time.

    But I'm afraid folks like you and me are vastly outnumbered by a generation (I shall name it, "Generation One" ) that doesn't know their classics.......nor cares, probably

    Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

  15. #115
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    River Ridge, LA
    Posts
    1,749

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Driber View Post
    Utterly lame joke (the cartoon), but funny to see the Demon Seed reference, hehe.

    I remember that movie, too. And quite vividly so! Great movie for its time.

    But I'm afraid folks like you and me are vastly outnumbered by a generation (I shall name it, "Generation One" ) that doesn't know their classics.......nor cares, probably
    Gaahhhh..... one foot in the grave at a time, pal! One foot in the grave at a time.
    Shanghai! Hong Kong! Egg Fu Yung! Fortune cookie always wrong!

  16. #116
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Mater Urbium
    Posts
    19,834

    Talking

    I'm not your pal, son!

    Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

  17. #117
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    River Ridge, LA
    Posts
    1,749

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Driber View Post
    I'm not your pal, son!



    Shanghai! Hong Kong! Egg Fu Yung! Fortune cookie always wrong!

  18. #118
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Mater Urbium
    Posts
    19,834

    Default

    God, that looks perverted

  19. #119
    chip5541's Avatar
    chip5541 is offline Battlestations: Midway Lieutenant Commander Eidos Moderator
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Back in Florida
    Posts
    5,464

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Driber View Post
    God, that looks perverted



  20. #120
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    River Ridge, LA
    Posts
    1,749

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Driber View Post
    God, that looks perverted
    Shanghai! Hong Kong! Egg Fu Yung! Fortune cookie always wrong!

  21. #121
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,923

    Default

    Wait. And people get infractions for spam/offtopic posts when half of this thread page is the epitome of spam/useless posts. Mine ain't any better, but someone had to say it.

    Ontopic. Kinect will change the way games are played.
    Don't send me PM's I'm too classy for that kind of thing. (my inbox is full, kay?)
    signature image

  22. #122
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    512

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by Weemanply109 View Post
    Wait. And people get infractions for spam/offtopic posts when half of this thread page is the epitome of spam/useless posts. Mine ain't any better, but someone had to say it.

    Ontopic. Kinect will change the way games are played.
    If by change the way games are played, you mean put in technology that devs will not use, and even when they do the kinect is so poorly made it wont work properly. Lets look at the MOST hardcore title made for Kinect so far, Steel battalion, its a Kinnect game that uses the controller too because its so hardcore. Problem the kinnect will fail half the time to read movements correctly based upon how a person holds the controller, oh these silly posts watching people discuss technology that they cant understand, it must all just seem like mag to most people :P The kinnect hasnt produced anyhing substantial yet and never will, since the explosion of the digital market on PC, few if any devs will build a game that limits what platforms they can sell it on.

  23. #123
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,923

    Default

    How do you know it's poorly made? We've barely seen anything of it.

    Plus, the fact that Kinect is included with the Xbox One package means that developers don't have to take the risk with extra developement costs to build a feature that only a small percentage of 360 gamers would use, splitting features amongst different demographics. However, this console changes that. It makes it more safe for games to take advantage of this technology, thus games will advance in design and how they're played will advance.
    Don't send me PM's I'm too classy for that kind of thing. (my inbox is full, kay?)
    signature image

  24. #124
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    River Ridge, LA
    Posts
    1,749

    Default

    I still need to go back and play the original Steel Battalion on old Xbox with its big 40 button controller (which I still have ) and the add on pack that was made for it.
    Shanghai! Hong Kong! Egg Fu Yung! Fortune cookie always wrong!

  25. #125
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    512

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by Weemanply109 View Post
    How do you know it's poorly made? We've barely seen anything of it.

    Plus, the fact that Kinect is included with the Xbox One package means that developers don't have to take the risk with extra developement costs to build a feature that only a small percentage of 360 gamers would use, splitting features amongst different demographics. However, this console changes that. It makes it more safe for games to take advantage of this technology, thus games will advance in design and how they're played will advance.
    Its poorly made since its the EXACT SAME technology driving the unit itself, the lens is different but other than that, its the same, keep in mind there is nothing really they could add since Kinect isnt old to begin with, M$ doesnt invent technology they unify it into their products, and no nothing new has been invented to make kinect work better.

    Bundled or not like the power glove for an old Nintendo is a moot point, big studios arent going to build for something that limits their marketshare into other platforms such as PC's or the wii. Hence why on 360 most of the titles are funded heavily by M$, their trying over there but it wont go anywhere, its a gimmick, ask Nintendo about gimmicks and how well those work out, power glove, virtual boy, etc.... or the officially licensed Nintendo Speedboard.

    love watching stuff like this go down, titans falling, etc.... its all about the moneh... money money money as that guy says in killing floor....

Page 5 of 43 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •