Page 4 of 43 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Xbox One & PS4

XBOX One?

I hope it's backwards compatable.

I also read somewhere that it will retail for $900. Please someone tell me that's not true!!!
    signature image

oops
    signature image

Xbox one lol . Just invest into PC gaming you will get better graphics and bigger community . PC gaming is a whole new beast now since you can play it anyway you like and then some . Now gaming at 2560 x 1600p and my eyes have visual organisms every few minutes of the day .

Quote Originally Posted by Pythia View Post
    XBOX One?

I also read somewhere that it will retail for $900. Please someone tell me that's not true!!!
    It's not backwards compatable but i'm pretty sure it won't be $900.

Quote Originally Posted by Murphdawg1 View Post
    That's going to kill portability for Xbox games. I mean what i've read lets say you take a game over to a friend's house and you sign on to your Xbox Live account from there well you could play the game on your account while there but if your friend wanted to play the game after you left they have to pay a fee which doesn't seem right.

Yeah....it's a lot of crap.

It's definitely lending to a notion that "you never really truly own what you buy".
    Shanghai! Hong Kong! Egg Fu Yung! Fortune cookie always wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by Pythia View Post
    XBOX One?

You're reading the wrong information.
    It is not backwards compatible and no price has been announced.
    "Did somebody say 'vodka?'"
    signature imagesignature image

the $900 is just a temporary price so they can accept preorders, rumors have it around $499

also i am waiting for e3 for more concrete info on some of the aspects of this system. im am especially iffy about it especially since the NSA utah surveliance building opened yesterday. combine the two and things get really interesting really fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Defected View Post
    bigger community
    Hardly. Most online PC games have dead or dying communities unless it's a MMO (which are also declining) or a classic. PC gaming as a whole is very unprofitable for most developers compared to consoles unless there's free 2 play titles with microtransactions or it's a Valve game. A lot of the games are pirated more than they're bought. Let's be honest here.
    Don't send me PM's I'm too classy for that kind of thing. (my inbox is full, kay?)
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by Weemanply109 View Post
    Hardly. Most online PC games have dead or dying communities unless it's a MMO (which are also declining) or a classic. PC gaming as a whole is very unprofitable for most developers compared to consoles unless there's free 2 play titles with microtransactions or it's a Valve game. A lot of the games are pirated more than they're bought. Let's be honest here.
    I would like to see some solid stats to back that claim up.

Piracy is big. But bigger than legitimate sales? Hmm....

Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Valenka View Post

Well, now we know who to blame for any Xbox One/PS4 console wars this generation: Microsoft. Sony hasn't said a single anti-Xbox thing yet and Microsoft is already gearing up to make an arse of themselves. Shame, really.
    Maybe not in this generation (8th), at least not so far. But Sony isn't exactly innocent of the practice. At the beginning of the 7th gen, before PS3 launched to counteract the 360 already being on market, they fired their own shots, calling it "Xbox 1.5". They're also quoted as saying "Xbox shoots for the moon, PS3 shoots for the sun" (quite a bizarre analogy at that) and "Next gen doesn't begin until we say it begins", in an effort to dismiss 360 as the beginning of that generation. They even said Xbox was no real competition to the Playstation brand, though how market numbers turned out over the course of that gen say otherwise.

But hey we can even look back farther. Does anybody remember Sega's campaign, "Genesis does was Nintendon't" ? And it ain't limited to just the gaming industry. How often do Coke and Pepsi trade blows in the ad wars?

Trash talk may seem jevenile but I don't take it too seriously neither. That's just business as usual. It's the nature of competition, to sway the consumers buying dollar towards your product over theirs. That's the way it's always gonna be.

You're preaching about a subject you can't even begin to understand. Companies need GameStop and similar middlemen to sell their games. GameStop will never go out of business unless the only way to obtain a video game is to download it out of thin air. It's not unethical, it's not stealing. You just have no sense of how the video game market works and I urge you to educate yourself before speaking about it further.
    aaaaaaaaand, guess what? That model is already in place. PC really pioneered this and we already have that infrastructure in X360 and PS3, where you can buy "retail games" off their online market place.

Even for disc copies, more and more people end up downloading them to the HDD anyway for the simple reason that games run far better off the hard drive than the optical media disc (DVD or Blu Ray alike). This is an advantage PC gamers have known for a long time. I'm predicting XBO and PS4 will see an even larger user purchase of their respective games from the online market place, even with new releases (like Halo 5, GT6, new Killzone, new Assassin's Creed, etc...) being available online Day 1 right along side the disc copies.

With the growing predominace of games being purchased online, and even discs being installed to the HDD, it can be argued that the plastic disc becomes an uncessesary "middle man" to the consumer experience, and ultimately redundant. Hell it's even more convenient to download from the comfort of home than the hassle of the commute and waiting in line when you get there. Or they ran out of copies, whereas digital media is infinite in supply.

So it might be said that the brick and mortar store is in fact outdated and sorry to say Valenka, completely uneccessary for publishers and devs to get their product out there to the gaming public. They can do just fine now without Gamestop, BestBuy, or any other retail outlet.

BUT.....

Retailers still do have one weapon up their sleeve that will get gamers to keep on coming into their store to buy that game and forego the afformentioned convenience of home download. Is it some sentimenal attachment to the familiarity of a game case and the shiny plastic disc? Not at all. That by itself is fast becoming outmoded.

The only advantage left to stores is retail exclusive content. While digital distribution can still provide extras in the way of virtual content, those in-game extras like additional skins, weapons & gear, bonus support characters, missions, maps, vehicles and such, again that's all intangible and downloaded anyway. But when going to a store to pick up a physical copy, while the disc is redundant people will get it for the physical bonuses that are typically limited edition and not found in toy stores - statues, replicas of the trademark weapons, art books, large scale maps of the game world, full sized posters, key chains... well you get the idea.

If a particular gamer is only really interested in the game itself, they might be more inclined to download it and just play away. But the dedicated fan of a series who places value on those physical collectibles (and has a trophy shelf as a tribute to their passion) will buy a physical copy not really for the disc itself, but those special items that can't be downloaded. Evem I gotta admit, I'm a sucker for a well produced art book.
    signature image

^Xbox One has no swappable HDD. So you're stuck with a 500GB hard drive unless you're willing to keep an external hard drive connected (which is a rather unpractical solution).
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by Daftvirgin View Post
    ^Xbox One has no swappable HDD. So you're stuck with a 500GB hard drive unless you're willing to keep an external hard drive connected (which is a rather unpractical solution).
    If they allow the use of any branded external drive (Seagate, Western Digital, Lacie, etc...) that will be a far more viable and more fair solution than the proprietary drives 360 had that were very limited and over priced. With the abundance of USB HDDs out there, the customer has a great selection of size and pricing options.

It's also better to have two drives both at your disposal rather than one or the other. This allows for doubling or even tripling total storge space.

But that all depends on IF MS will allow this but since the ports on the console are standard USB, seems more likely.
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Martok View Post
    It's really only piracy if someone outside of the dev/pub system (or worse, someone within the dev/pub system) manages either to obtain source code and other codes, and create copies of that game that they can sell themselves, illegally. Or, if someone is actually able to make copies of their one purchased game, and sell those copies, making their own profits, and cheating the devs/publishers out of money they should be seeing for new sales. That's kinda like when someone downloads a movie off the internet, especially before that movie has even been released theatrically (clearly an inside job). When you get enough people doing that, suddenly the company that made that movie is not making the money it should for its investment in same. And, perhaps, while the numbers might seem insignificant, it still gets the attention of the companies enough to warrant things like copy-protection on movies when they reach the legal digital medium, etc...not that such copy protection is infallible...there's always someone who finds a way around it.

My roomie and I discuss this a lot, and are agreed that ultimately, if we buy something, especially a physical copy of a product, be it a car, or a piece of software, it should be ours...period. However, copyrights and such are still in place to protect the intellectual property of the creator of the product we purchase. So, while it might be within our rights to let a friend borrow the title, or to play it on any compatible system we wish, or any of the other uses you mentioned (frisbee, coffee coaster, Chakram, etc.. ), it is not our right to copy the game (even for free) and distribute that copy/those copies to other folks. Perhaps making a singular backup for ourselves is one thing...but mass copying (whether for free or for profit)? Nyet.
    With all due respect, that is something that a majority of people do not understand. Just because you purchase something does not mean you've acquired full ownership. Yes, you own the physical item but you must still abide by the creator's policy which primarily exists to prohibit unlawful distribution, or piracy.

However, if I might ask for some enlightenment, what exactly is it that you wish to do with your copy of a product that you "unfairly" cannot?
    ...will answer both of you later...

Quote Originally Posted by adobeARTIST View Post
    If they allow the use of any branded external drive (Seagate, Western Digital, Lacie, etc...) that will be a far more viable and more fair solution than the proprietary drives 360 had that were very limited and over priced. With the abundance of USB HDDs out there, the customer has a great selection of size and pricing options.

It's also better to have two drives both at your disposal rather than one or the other. This allows for doubling or even tripling total storge space.

But that all depends on IF MS will allow this but since the ports on the console are standard USB, seems more likely.
    Hey, I was thinking more about the fact that the USB ports are located on the side and back of the console.

And I still don't think we should sacrifice DRM-free games for the convenience of digital purchases.
    signature image

Sadly, M$ will likely not allow external third party HDD's for things like storage of games and such. I used to have a third party 2GB memory chip which designed to be switched between a USB chip adapter, and memory card that also held the 2GB chip, and my 360 did not allow its usage for things like profiles, game storage, or even save files. M$ is very stingy when it comes to third party peripherals, largely because a lot of hackers make use of unlicensed 3PP's (my little abbreviation for third party peripheral) for cheating and glitching.

I'm no planning to buy a new console in the next couple of years. Be it Xbox One or PS4.
    It all depends on price, games and if CD will still continue to be supported by Microsoft.
    And I'm definitely waiting for the slim version of the console :P

Microsoft is planning to support 360 for the next five years. We'll see if they can keep their word.

Quote Originally Posted by Murphdawg1 View Post
    That just isn't my opinion but yes most people did not think Microsoft did themselves any favors at the reveal of the Xbox One. I mean essentially the One is going to work like a PC where you have to put the disc in and then install the game to your hard drive(which can't be removed) so where's the advantage of owning a One over a PC?
    The amount of control they are offering gamers they can keep. This console is not even on my radar anymore. Sorry but I dont' need to be hooked up to the internet to play my single player games or have to do full game/disk installs. That's just crazy.

You seriously have to be kidding me.

Quote Originally Posted by Joanna_Dark_ View Post
    The amount of control they are offering gamers they can keep. This console is not even on my radar anymore. Sorry but I dont' need to be hooked up to the internet to play my single player games or have to do full game/disk installs. That's just crazy.

You seriously have to be kidding me.
    We wish we were, dear Joanna. But this is the impression that M$ has left a lot of gamers with.

I'm still of the sneaking suspicion that they're going to pull a shortened version of EA's little stunt recently (eliminating/retro-eliminating season passes from their games because they weren't going over well with gamers. I remember being majorly irked with EA when all of a sudden, after one of their update patches, I could not play Battlefield 3 single player mode because I could not connect to the BF3 servers. Whaaa?! Since when did I need to connect to an online server to play an offline session?! Yeah, way to go EA. You find a way to ruin everything good about gaming, and now act like you're trying to redeem yourselves. All well and good, until you find the next way to screw gamers.). In this case, I have this crazy sneaking sense that M$ will suddenly say: "A lot of those things you've heard about that were going to be implemented into Xbox One....we've decided not to implement them because we listened to you the gamers!" A move that, likely in their own eyes, will make them look like some sort of "avenging angels" of video gaming.

It would be a lousy PR move on their part, but as I've said before, I put little past Micro$oft.

Quote Originally Posted by chriss99 View Post
    I'm no planning to buy a new console in the next couple of years. Be it Xbox One or PS4.
    It all depends on price, games and if CD will still continue to be supported by Microsoft.
    And I'm definitely waiting for the slim version of the console :P

Microsoft is planning to support 360 for the next five years. We'll see if they can keep their word.
    Even if a new TR game is release on next gen?

aaaaaaaaand, guess what? That model is already in place. PC really pioneered this and we already have that infrastructure in X360 and PS3, where you can buy "retail games" off their online market place.

[/sarcasm]

Honestly though, the huge gamer I am, you didn't think I was already privy to this? I shake my head as I feel the need to explain my point. I meant my statement to reflect the future (year 3013) where you could literally just pull a game out of thin air and immediately start playing it. Not to mention the fact that I said "if the ONLY way to obtain a game" were to download it. I feel like you deliberately ignored that just to state the obvious and attempt to make me look foolish.

Gold star for trying.

Valenka: my point was that you overestimate the "need" for places like Gamestop for publishers to distribute their product. Sure it's still around but that doesn't make them the necessity as you imply, just another venue. And one that in the coming years (in my estimate) will lose ground to the cyber market.

Look at it this way, how many people still go to stores to buy CDs for the latest music tracks and albums?

But then games can provide the physical incentives of limited items like statues and art books to appeal to those who are more than just casual players, but fans who are collectors.
    signature image

Digital sales is the future. B&M stores will be a thing of the past in the future.

Not that this is necessarily a good thing (I do like my physical copies) but physical media is quickly becoming outdated.

The vast majority of PC gamers prefer DD over retail discs. If the console makers would have a good online shop like Valve has, hordes of people would rather download their games.

At least, that's my prediction...

Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Driber View Post
    I would like to see some solid stats to back that claim up.

Piracy is big. But bigger than legitimate sales? Hmm....
    Really? It's common sense. For 1 legitimate sale, there's probably loads more being illegally downloaded. Why would people buy the game when it's easily accessible to download for free?

Look at the sales for CoD: Black Ops:

Official Sales according to VGCharts (I know isn't 100% reliable): 1.46 million copies.
    Illegal downloads: 4 270 000 million.

There's many developers who've spoke out about it before and many statistics were posted around the time we The Pirate Bay wasn't blocked here.

I'll try and find it, though.
    Don't send me PM's I'm too classy for that kind of thing. (my inbox is full, kay?)
    signature image

^ lol, thanks for the link - it actually debunks your theory and confirms mine

"The Call of Duty: Black Ops piracy figures are still dwarfed by the game’s success at retail, with Activision having announced that they’ve already made one billion dollars from worldwide sales."

Valenka: my point was that you overestimate the "need" for places like Gamestop for publishers to distribute their product.
    And you underestimate the value of stores like GameStop.

You're preaching about a subject you can't even begin to understand. Companies need GameStop and similar middlemen to sell their games. GameStop will never go out of business unless the only way to obtain a video game is to download it out of thin air. It's not unethical, it's not stealing. You just have no sense of how the video game market works and I urge you to educate yourself before speaking about it further.
    Didn't places like HMV and GAME go into administration, though?

Surely the need for places like Gamestop, etc are in severe decline. The digital revolution is upon us and within years, we'll see the majority of our gaming content being delivered solely through digital distribution. (if that's what y'all are talking about)

Quote Originally Posted by Driber View Post
    ^ lol, thanks for the link - it actually debunks your theory and confirms mine

"The Call of Duty: Black Ops piracy figures are still dwarfed by the game’s success at retail, with Activision having announced that they’ve already made one billion dollars from worldwide sales."
    Erm. You don't get the point.

I'm speaking about the PC market, though. Those billions ain't coming from no PC market. It's overall (also, let's not forget that Acti overprices CoD to make the extra $$$ in revenue, unlike most of the market where most PC games are considerably cheaper). I was specifically talking about PC games. They're usually pirated more than the legit sales numbers. That was my point, nothing else to it. So consider putting those statistics into perspective with PC exclusive titles.

Consider your point debunked?
    signature image

Page 4 of 43 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast