Page 3 of 43 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 1053

Thread: Xbox One & PS4

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,106

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BridgetFisher View Post
    Ive never agreed with the resale of used games by these retail stores that operate in my perspective as a criminal enterprise without the duty to track paperwork like a pawn shop. Its legalized piracy since none of the sales of used games are returned to the developer allowing these stores to rob the families of those who work hard to produce the media we all enjoy. On consoles this problem has been solved, a 360 could do it, it has the ability with its patented signature technology but that was just a test bed for how its being rolled out on the Xbox One. Finally these stores can end their unethical practices of stealing from hard working developers who spend days AND nights staring at screens punching keys to do stuff. Sadly it wont be the nail in the coffin for brick and mortar stores but its one step closer to closing the lid on the coffin for them.
    No it's not piracy, that's a term these Hollywood corporations coined to add a denotative value to sharing.

    If I purchase a disc based game, I should have full ownership over it. This means I can do whatever I want with it. I can play it, lend it to a friend, break it, use it as a Frisbee, flush it down the toilet, etc. The same principle is applied on any other goods you purchase, such as a chair. Now if I want to resell said item, I should be able to do it. After all, I'm the owner of it.

    What publishers are doing is taking these ownership rights from the consumer and offer the game as a service instead. With the new system for used games on the xBone in place, they can impose limitations with terms of use and most notably DRM. why? to cash in and earn a few extra dollars is one, but two, also to control your purchase, and that can lead to nasty experiences.

    Now if I need a service done, I can hire people to do something for me, be it a cook, a carpenter, a cab driver, etc. but services cannot be passed around. It is a service and therefore not material. This means I can't ask the person to do whatever I want. There are limits to what a person is willing to do. That's why there are terms of use or conditions linked to those services. You can't abuse the service or misbehave in a restaurant.

    One striking problem here is that these publishers are trying to sell something that isn't really a good, nor a service: I have a physical copy of the game, so I should posses ownership of it; I should be able to lend it or resell it. But yet I do not because in reality they are offering a service with terms of use tied to it, which is rather unfair since I own a copy of the game and yet cannot do everything I desire with it.

    The main notion here is that any other goods do not come with a mechanism which blocks resell in order to earn the manufacturer money each time it's passed on a new "customer". Imagine they'd impose some kind of wicked system to prevent people from reselling their furniture just so that the original carpenter can earn extra money out of his creation.

    This is sadly the same thing happening with software in general.
    signature image

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    River Ridge, LA
    Posts
    1,749

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Valenka View Post
    Quite alright, Lord Martok! I'll give as much information as I legally can, and it basically boils down to common sense, so I won't be under scrutiny for sharing this. A lot of people say GameStop is a rip off because you could buy a $60 game today and trade it in tomorrow and only get $25 for it. It's much like purchasing a car. The moment you drive it off the lot, the vehicle depreciates in value immediately by a substantial amount. Same goes with video games. It's ludicrous to expect GameStop to basically buy the game back from you when we could just get a new copy from the developer. We're not going to buy your game back for $50 and then sell it for $30. That's a poor business practice and it also makes us lose profit. Believe it or not, GameStop does care about the gamer, but we have to make a profit to keep ourselves running. It's much like the law enforcement. Everyone hates them until they need them.

    As for pushing the sale of used games, that remains partly true. There are two reasons why we push purchased used games: one, because it benefits the consumer thanks to our policy. If the game did not meet your expectation (which is the primary reason of used game returns), you are able to return it within seven days for a full refund or for another game of your choice, as long as you do not abuse this policy. Two, because we make a large percentage of our profits on the sale of used products.

    However, should you choose to purchase a new game instead of a used one, you are more than welcome to do so because we do want you to support the developer as well.

    Going back to trade-ins and such, customers that have a PowerUp Rewards membership are given percentage bonuses to trade-in values as well as other worthy incentives. In addition, GameStop will occasionally have promotions such as the current: you can get an extra 30% store credit when you trade in games and products toward select products, like Call of Duty: Ghosts and Grand Theft Auto V. While the funds from trading in the products are required to go toward a valid promotional item, you get to keep any funds after the item is paid off. So say if you trade in 5 games toward GTA 5 and with the extra 30%, you only need 3 to pay off the game, you still get an extra 30% on the other two games and you can do what you want with the funds.
    Thanks for the info on that, Valenka.
    Yeah, I have a Power Up Rewards card meself, and tons o' points I still have yet to spend.
    Shanghai! Hong Kong! Egg Fu Yung! Fortune cookie always wrong!

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    1,978

    Default

    Take-Two Interactive (publisher of Grand Theft Auto 5) weighs in on the potential fee for used games.

    http://www.oxm.co.uk/55086/gta-5-pub...-get-paid-too/

    Take-Two Interactive CEO Strass Zelnick doesn't think it necessary to "punish" consumers for purchasing second-hand games, arguing that "pushing up quality" and delivering robust DLC is a more effective way of persuading people to keep hold of the disc. That said, he's bang up for a share of Microsoft's rumoured Xbox One "pre-owned fee", assuming the scheme actually exists.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Martok View Post
    Thanks for the info on that, Valenka.
    No problem! Glad I could be of help!
    "Did somebody say 'vodka?'"
    signature imagesignature image

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,801

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BridgetFisher View Post
    Hmmm xbox one, this has nothing to do with my interests in Tomb raider
    You gave TR 0/10, Still don't know what are you doing here
    signature image

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    River Ridge, LA
    Posts
    1,749

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Daftvirgin View Post
    No it's not piracy, that's a term these Hollywood corporations coined to add a denotative value to sharing.
    It's really only piracy if someone outside of the dev/pub system (or worse, someone within the dev/pub system) manages either to obtain source code and other codes, and create copies of that game that they can sell themselves, illegally. Or, if someone is actually able to make copies of their one purchased game, and sell those copies, making their own profits, and cheating the devs/publishers out of money they should be seeing for new sales. That's kinda like when someone downloads a movie off the internet, especially before that movie has even been released theatrically (clearly an inside job). When you get enough people doing that, suddenly the company that made that movie is not making the money it should for its investment in same. And, perhaps, while the numbers might seem insignificant, it still gets the attention of the companies enough to warrant things like copy-protection on movies when they reach the legal digital medium, etc...not that such copy protection is infallible...there's always someone who finds a way around it.

    Quote Originally Posted by DaftVirgin
    If I purchase a disc based game, I should have full ownership over it.

    One striking problem here is that these publishers are trying to sell something that isn't really a good, nor a service: I have a physical copy of the game, so I should posses ownership of it; I should be able to lend it or resell it. But yet I do not because in reality they are offering a service with terms of use tied to it, which is rather unfair since I own a copy of the game and yet cannot do everything I desire with it.
    My roomie and I discuss this a lot, and are agreed that ultimately, if we buy something, especially a physical copy of a product, be it a car, or a piece of software, it should be ours...period. However, copyrights and such are still in place to protect the intellectual property of the creator of the product we purchase. So, while it might be within our rights to let a friend borrow the title, or to play it on any compatible system we wish, or any of the other uses you mentioned (frisbee, coffee coaster, Chakram, etc.. ), it is not our right to copy the game (even for free) and distribute that copy/those copies to other folks. Perhaps making a singular backup for ourselves is one thing...but mass copying (whether for free or for profit)? Nyet.
    Shanghai! Hong Kong! Egg Fu Yung! Fortune cookie always wrong!

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    1,978

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Daftvirgin View Post
    If I purchase a disc based game, I should have full ownership over it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daftvirgin View Post
    What publishers are doing is taking these ownership rights from the consumer and offer the game as a service instead. With the new system for used games on the xBone in place, they can impose limitations with terms of use and most notably DRM. why? to cash in and earn a few extra dollars is one, but two, also to control your purchase, and that can lead to nasty experiences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daftvirgin View Post
    One striking problem here is that these publishers are trying to sell something that isn't really a good, nor a service: I have a physical copy of the game, so I should posses ownership of it; I should be able to lend it or resell it. But yet I do not because in reality they are offering a service with terms of use tied to it, which is rather unfair since I own a copy of the game and yet cannot do everything I desire with it.
    With all due respect, that is something that a majority of people do not understand. Just because you purchase something does not mean you've acquired full ownership. Yes, you own the physical item but you must still abide by the creator's policy which primarily exists to prohibit unlawful distribution, or piracy.

    However, if I might ask for some enlightenment, what exactly is it that you wish to do with your copy of a product that you "unfairly" cannot?
    "Did somebody say 'vodka?'"
    signature imagesignature image

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    512

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Martok View Post

    My roomie and I discuss this a lot, and are agreed that ultimately, if we buy something, especially a physical copy of a product, be it a car, or a piece of software, it should be ours...period. However, copyrights and such are still in place to protect the intellectual property of the creator of the product we purchase. So, while it might be within our rights to let a friend borrow the title, or to play it on any compatible system we wish, or any of the other uses you mentioned (frisbee, coffee coaster, Chakram, etc.. ), it is not our right to copy the game (even for free) and distribute that copy/those copies to other folks. Perhaps making a singular backup is one thing...but mass copying (whether for free or for profit)? Nyet.
    Here is another part where I disagree, these are not physical goods they are digital goods in a different medium. With that said I believe the consumer owns no title to the product, where would that end? Would consumers be entitled to the source code? Of course not engines are patented, characters are trademarked. This is why Steam shot to the number one delivery service for digital goods for computers since they protect the consumer in this manner from fraud and deceptive practices. Games are not a car in that aspect where the product is somehow damaged over time, or runs down, the product when sold on day one will be the same game at the end of year one, so there is no real devaluation from degradation of the goods themselves such as with a car or physical good. To this end I believe no user is entitled to ownership directly of any digital good, from movies to games and books, allowing the product to be removed at the publishers discretion since they are the creator of the content. This is why Valve pursued a person who stole their code for Half Life 2 to imprison them, Valve since created steam under the same practices that at any time steam can remove titles or shut down oweing nothing to the end user per the terms of service all users agree too, trading a product tied to an account on steam is forbidden per the TOS with any violation of that resulting in immediate account termination of an account by Valve since the user violated the TOS.

    Same thing with purchasing a game, the consumer is entering into a contract with the publisher to possess that data, any transfer of title or the product thereof outside the control of the creator should be seen as a criminal attempt to circumvent the governing regulations of the terms of service agreed to by the consumer by purchasing the product. Lending a game or borrowing a game from someone, or letting someone else play a game whose title is owned by another party is also considered theft since the publisher never consented to that user being granted free access to their content while at the same time it endangers a person playing a game that they have no title of ownership to since they may be participating in violating the legal contract agreed to by the originating party of ownership though purchasing the item opening that person up who is not a title holder to legal prosecution civilly and possibly criminally since their stealing from the creators of the content. Giving someone else a game to play is equivalent criminally to giving someone your health insurance card, or taking a test in school for someone else, both unethical and worse it breeds further criminal behavior since people begin to ignore morals or ethical judgements thinking of themself instead of the greater good of society, a chain reaction with an inevitable conclusion of jail time, and most countries have enough people in jail as it is.

    Its the same way a Xbox One could read a 360 disc if MS wanted it to, it just has to do with the disc reading lens or laser like a blu ray / dvd player, Microsoft will not let the Xbox One read the older content from a 360 because it operates outside the system designed to protect consumers from deceptive business practices involving the resale of used games which can harm the creators of the content.

    Consumers deserve the freedom of choice, the freedom to not risk obtaining goods not properly approved by the creator of the content. This protects all consumers of digital goods from being ripped off at the hands of those who wish to defraud people of the original content as it was intended by the creator. Consumers have the choice to purchase a product and use it in a lawful manner according to the contract agreed to by paying for an item, or they can choose not to participate in the system and thus the invisible hand of the free market is at place without forcing people to have access to used games which have no papertrail endangering people by putting them in harms way that the product they may be purchasing may not be at the will of the creator of that content.
    Last edited by BridgetFisher; 05-30-2013 at 03:35 PM.

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    1,978

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BridgetFisher View Post
    Games are not a car in that aspect where the product is somehow damaged over time, or runs down, the product when sold on day one will be the same game at the end of year one, so there is no real devaluation from degradation of the goods themselves such as with a car or physical good.
    Incorrect. Where there is a physical item (mainly in automobiles and electronics) there is depreciation. You can't sell a digital item once you've purchased it (like downloadable content or a full game from the Xbox Live Marketplace or PSN) but the physical copy that is made on disc, inside of a case with a manual can be sold, traded, etc. As I said previously, to which you did not acknowledge, the moment you take it out of its packaging, it loses value. Same situation when it comes to collectibles and things of that nature.

    Quote Originally Posted by BridgetFisher View Post
    Same thing with purchasing a game, the consumer is entering into a contract with the publisher to possess that data, any transfer of title or the product thereof outside the control of the creator should be seen as a criminal attempt to circumvent the governing regulations of the terms of service agreed to by the consumer by purchasing the product.
    I take it you're still talking about GameStop's accepting of trade-ins and reselling the product. You're trying to create an issue where there is none. It's perfectly legal and it's not criminal, especially when you consider the fact that middlemen like GameStop have the (unrequired) permission of the developer and publisher to do what they do because profits made from the product's initial purchase have already been collected.

    Quote Originally Posted by BridgetFisher View Post
    Its the same way a Xbox One could read a 360 disc if MS wanted it to, it just has to do with the disc reading lens or laser like a blu ray / dvd player, Microsoft will not let the Xbox One read the older content from a 360 because it operates outside the system designed to protect consumers from deceptive business practices involving the resale of used games which can harm the creators of the content.
    No, the Xbox One will not be backward compatible because Xbox One uses a different core architecture than the Xbox 360 does and if Microsoft would alter the core of the Xbox One to accept Xbox 360 discs, the console's abilities will suffer, providing they don't work around what they'd need to keep the Xbox One as is and make it backward compatible as well.

    "Designed to protect consumers from deceptive business practices involving the resale of used games which can harm the creators of the content."

    Don't take this the wrong way, but I picture you sitting in the dark with a tin-foil hat on as you write your responses. If you took the time to read anything I wrote in my last post addressed to you, you'd understand that reselling used games does NOT harm anyone.
    "Did somebody say 'vodka?'"
    signature imagesignature image

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    512

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by Valenka View Post
    Don't take this the wrong way, but I picture you sitting in the dark with a tin-foil hat on as you write your responses. If you took the time to read anything I wrote in my last post addressed to you, you'd understand that reselling used games does NOT harm anyone.
    All resellers of used games do nothing to track and or verify the integrity of the product, at no time are checks done to check if the disc has been reproduced, without a way to trace the media there is no way to tell if the product itself is genuine or a fake. Any walk in a downtown area will have stores full of fake merchandise, sadly no form of retail is safe from counterfeiting. Meaning the consumer who purchased a used game may be engaging in criminal conduct by purchasing counterfeit or stolen goods, subjecting that individual to arrest and prosecution to the maximum penalties the laws allow including fines and jail time for those who seek to try and beat the system. These new protections in the next generation are there to enhance a consumers experience providing more confidence in the digital market since the fear of ending up with fraudulent or counterfeit goods has been eliminated.

    Piracy directly harms consumers in that every purchase not legally obtained takes away from the funds available for a publisher to generate further content. The types of harm can vary from economic to physical, to infringement, fraud, indirect vs direct, the list goes on, all of these apply destroying families of hard working people who fight to make these great games while consumers get left disillusioned feeling betrayed for not being protected so they could continue to be provided with quality content for their own enjoyment. Finally there is an answer to all of this in the next generation that will end the possibility of a consumer risking imprisonment for purchasing a used game that may have been counterfeit making them a criminal for possessing the item. Ending up in jail is a harm associated with the practice of purchasing a used game, consumers today worry about ending up in jail and are upset they have to roll the dice everytime they make a purchase if the next knock on their door will be law enforcement with a warrant for their arrest for being in possession of counterfeit goods. Noone wants their day to end like that, and MS figured out how to protect the consumer so this is no longer a driving concern for consumers and caring parents who want to protect their children since they love their families.

    In any event with Xbox One flubbing their reveal having spent 160 million, PS4 having a conference if that counts, and WiiU being well a WiiU, its pretty clear E3 is something we can all look forward too because its going to be like christmas. Also its like a trainwreck since watching these companies Sony and MS go down the tubes in the console market is always fun to watch, Nintendo is just careful always playing it safe.

    Here is some recent news with links for your reading pleasure from the CEO of Sony, of course its pandering to an audience but the point is they are working for that audience going out of their way to do interviews all over the place to get their message out, oddly its getting more attention than the Xbox One reveal, and it cost nothing, pure sheenius Kaz.

    http://venturebeat.com/2013/05/30/so...is-for-gamers/

    “I fundamentally believe that the initial market that we need to make sure we appeal to with any new platform … is really the gaming audience,” Hirai said. “They will be the supporters of your platform and they will help propel the installed base.”

    He said Sony would add other entertainment apps, “But that’s after we establish the platform as a video game platform. We want to make sure that we are there for the gamers with our PS4 as well. They will go beyond this, but they’ll definitely start with gamer first.

    He concluded, “For us, it’s all about the gamers.”

    http://allthingsd.com/20130530/kaz-h...er/?refcat=d11

    “The most important thing we need to make sure we do at least initially is that we all agree and understand that the PS4 is a great video game console that appeals to video gamers,” Hirai said in a briefing with reporters after his onstage appearance at D: All Things Digital. “If we miss that part than I don’t think we get the initial establishment of the console.”

    “We take a look at this first and formest as a game console,” Hirai said. “We don’t want to end there. That’s an area we will obviously reveal and talk about in the coming months.”
    Last edited by BridgetFisher; 05-30-2013 at 03:22 PM.

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    1,978

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BridgetFisher View Post
    All resellers of used games do nothing to track and or verify the integrity of the product, at no time are checks done to check if the disc has been reproduced, without a way to trace the media there is no way to tell if the product itself is genuine or a fake. Any walk in a downtown area will have stores full of fake merchandise, sadly no form of retail is safe from counterfeiting.

    In any event with Xbox One flubbing their reveal having spent 160 million, PS4 having a conference if that counts, and WiiU being well a WiiU, its pretty clear E3 is something we can all look forward too because its going to be like christmas. Also its like a trainwreck since watching these companies Sony and MS go down the tubes in the console market is always fun to watch, Nintendo is just careful always playing it safe.


    What does that have to do with anything?
    "Did somebody say 'vodka?'"
    signature imagesignature image

  11. #61
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    River Ridge, LA
    Posts
    1,749

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Valenka View Post
    Incorrect. Where there is a physical item (mainly in automobiles and electronics) there is depreciation. You can't sell a digital item once you've purchased it (like downloadable content or a full game from the Xbox Live Marketplace or PSN) but the physical copy that is made on disc, inside of a case with a manual can be sold, traded, etc. As I said previously, to which you did not acknowledge, the moment you take it out of its packaging, it loses value. Same situation when it comes to collectibles and things of that nature.



    I take it you're still talking about GameStop's accepting of trade-ins and reselling the product. You're trying to create an issue where there is none. It's perfectly legal and it's not criminal, especially when you consider the fact that middlemen like GameStop have the (unrequired) permission of the developer and publisher to do what they do because profits made from the product's initial purchase have already been collected.



    No, the Xbox One will not be backward compatible because Xbox One uses a different core architecture than the Xbox 360 does and if Microsoft would alter the core of the Xbox One to accept Xbox 360 discs, the console's abilities will suffer, providing they don't work around what they'd need to keep the Xbox One as is and make it backward compatible as well.

    "Designed to protect consumers from deceptive business practices involving the resale of used games which can harm the creators of the content."

    Don't take this the wrong way, but I picture you sitting in the dark with a tin-foil hat on as you write your responses. If you took the time to read anything I wrote in my last post addressed to you, you'd understand that reselling used games does NOT harm anyone.




    Last edited by Lord Martok; 05-30-2013 at 03:08 PM.
    Shanghai! Hong Kong! Egg Fu Yung! Fortune cookie always wrong!

  12. #62
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    1,978

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Martok View Post
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/martok2112/Gifs/GIJoeEndPSA001_zps5a91604a.gif
    "Did somebody say 'vodka?'"
    signature imagesignature image

  13. #63
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    River Ridge, LA
    Posts
    1,749

    Default

    <----takes a bow

    10-q, 10-q!
    Shanghai! Hong Kong! Egg Fu Yung! Fortune cookie always wrong!

  14. #64
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,106

    Default

    @Valenka & Lord Martok: Eh, I'll write an elaborate post tomorrow

    @BridgetFisher: piracy doesn't harm the consumer in a single bit:

    You buy a retail copy - 60 bucks
    You get a pirated copy - free

    either way you are getting the same content. It only harms publishers. That's why they want to stop it. I don't see why you're defending these Hollywood giants anyways.
    signature image

  15. #65
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    River Ridge, LA
    Posts
    1,749

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Daftvirgin View Post
    @Valenka & Lord Martok: Eh, I'll write an elaborate post tomorrow

    @BridgetFisher: piracy doesn't harm the consumer in a single bit:

    You buy a retail copy - 60 bucks
    You get a pirated copy - free

    either way you are getting the same content. It only harms publishers. That's why they want to stop it.




    Quote Originally Posted by DaftVirgin
    I don't see why you're defending these Hollywood giants anyways.
    Maybe I want another Star Wars or Star Trek movie! Didja ever think about that?! Cripes, won't somebody think about the children?!!! (sniff....sob....)

    Shanghai! Hong Kong! Egg Fu Yung! Fortune cookie always wrong!

  16. #66
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,106

    Default

    Sorry, I'm off to bed guys I am quite excited to see you guys being so eager to discuss this
    signature image

  17. #67
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    River Ridge, LA
    Posts
    1,749

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Daftvirgin View Post
    Sorry, I'm off to bed guys I am quite excited to see you guys being so eager to discuss this
    Rest well. (I would say "Rest In Peace"...but somehow, that just doesn't sound right. --I keed, of course.)

    Suddenly, a comic skit pops in me 'ead...


    LORD HERSHINGLY: (speaking to his manservant, Sejneesh) Very well, Sejneesh. I'm retiring for the night.
    SEJNEESH: Ahhhhh..... Rest In Peace, Sahib.
    LORD HERSHINGLY: (eyebrows raised) I beg your pardon?
    SEJNEESH: (clears throat) Errr...ahem, I meant, "rest well, Sahib".

    Shanghai! Hong Kong! Egg Fu Yung! Fortune cookie always wrong!

  18. #68
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,106

    Default

    How about a good old-fashioned "good night"?

    Thanks anyways
    signature image

  19. #69
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    River Ridge, LA
    Posts
    1,749

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Daftvirgin View Post
    How about a good old-fashioned "good night"?

    Thanks anyways
    Good night.


    Last edited by Lord Martok; 05-30-2013 at 03:48 PM.
    Shanghai! Hong Kong! Egg Fu Yung! Fortune cookie always wrong!

  20. #70
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    856

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Daftvirgin View Post
    No it's not piracy, that's a term these Hollywood corporations coined to add a denotative value to sharing.

    If I purchase a disc based game, I should have full ownership over it. This means I can do whatever I want with it. I can play it, lend it to a friend, break it, use it as a Frisbee, flush it down the toilet, etc. The same principle is applied on any other goods you purchase, such as a chair. Now if I want to resell said item, I should be able to do it. After all, I'm the owner of it.

    What publishers are doing is taking these ownership rights from the consumer and offer the game as a service instead. With the new system for used games on the xBone in place, they can impose limitations with terms of use and most notably DRM. why? to cash in and earn a few extra dollars is one, but two, also to control your purchase, and that can lead to nasty experiences.

    Now if I need a service done, I can hire people to do something for me, be it a cook, a carpenter, a cab driver, etc. but services cannot be passed around. It is a service and therefore not material. This means I can't ask the person to do whatever I want. There are limits to what a person is willing to do. That's why there are terms of use or conditions linked to those services. You can't abuse the service or misbehave in a restaurant.

    One striking problem here is that these publishers are trying to sell something that isn't really a good, nor a service: I have a physical copy of the game, so I should posses ownership of it; I should be able to lend it or resell it. But yet I do not because in reality they are offering a service with terms of use tied to it, which is rather unfair since I own a copy of the game and yet cannot do everything I desire with it.

    The main notion here is that any other goods do not come with a mechanism which blocks resell in order to earn the manufacturer money each time it's passed on a new "customer". Imagine they'd impose some kind of wicked system to prevent people from reselling their furniture just so that the original carpenter can earn extra money out of his creation.

    This is sadly the same thing happening with software in general.
    I agree. Not everyone can afford to buy every game brand new so you either wait for the price to drop on the game or you buy it used. Hard copies of console games are not like PC games where you have to install the game onto your hard drive and accept an End user license agreement. You should be able to buy, sell and trade games and it's not like someone is making a copy for themselves and letting someone else have a copy.

  21. #71
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    River Ridge, LA
    Posts
    1,749

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Murphdawg1 View Post
    I agree. Not everyone can afford to buy every game brand new so you either wait for the price to drop on the game or you buy it used. Hard copies of console games are not like PC games where you have to install the game onto your hard drive and accept an End user license agreement. You should be able to buy, sell and trade games and it's not like someone is making a copy for themselves and letting someone else have a copy.
    The highlighted part is exactly what Xbox One is going for. Now the good side to this is they say once you install the game, you won't need the physical disc.

    But the reason that Xbox 360 and PS3 started the whole "install your game" option was to allow for the fact of being able to take the constant running strain off of your blu-ray/dvd disc drive. So it was more of a preventive maintenance and life-lengthening issue...much more benign cause and circumstance.

    Now, Xbox One is doing it to emulate PC security for Xbox One titles. Once the game is opened, you can't resell it back to the merchant. (Here in Louisiana, we had a locally owned game store chain that actually did buy and sell used PC titles, but I think they went out of business. Very sad, I miss those places because I could usually buy hard to find PC titles.)

    Xbox One apparently will allow you to resell your title, but then they invoke their "fees". I guess this prevents Joe Gamer from selling to his friend, but will allow Joe Gamer to buy or sell used games from merchants (with the fees being invoked on the purchaser..be it the store or the customer).
    Shanghai! Hong Kong! Egg Fu Yung! Fortune cookie always wrong!

  22. #72
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    856

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Martok View Post
    The highlighted part is exactly what Xbox One is going for. Now the good side to this is they say once you install the game, you won't need the physical disc.

    But the reason that Xbox 360 and PS3 started the whole "install your game" option was to allow for the fact of being able to take the constant running strain off of your blu-ray/dvd disc drive. So it was more of a preventive maintenance and life-lengthening issue...much more benign cause and circumstance.

    Now, Xbox One is doing it to emulate PC security for Xbox One titles. Once the game is opened, you can't resell it back to the merchant. (Here in Louisiana, we had a locally owned game store chain that actually did buy and sell used PC titles, but I think they went out of business. Very sad, I miss those places because I could usually buy hard to find PC titles.)

    Xbox One apparently will allow you to resell your title, but then they invoke their "fees". I guess this prevents Joe Gamer from selling to his friend, but will allow Joe Gamer to buy or sell used games from merchants (with the fees being invoked on the purchaser..be it the store or the customer).
    That's going to kill portability for Xbox games. I mean what i've read lets say you take a game over to a friend's house and you sign on to your Xbox Live account from there well you could play the game on your account while there but if your friend wanted to play the game after you left they have to pay a fee which doesn't seem right.

  23. #73
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Mater Urbium
    Posts
    19,834

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Valenka View Post
    Stop overthinking lest I slap ye with a slice of pizza.
    Oh please do! I'm starving and would eat it



    Nom nom nom...

    Quote Originally Posted by Daftvirgin View Post
    @BridgetFisher: piracy doesn't harm the consumer in a single bit:

    You buy a retail copy - 60 bucks
    You get a pirated copy - free

    either way you are getting the same content. It only harms publishers. That's why they want to stop it. I don't see why you're defending these Hollywood giants anyways.
    I haven't read the whole discussion, so I'm probably quoting out of context, so just for the sake of discussion - piracy does indeed harm the consumer.

    - Piracy causes obtrusive or even draconian DRM.

    - Piracy causes losses to developers/publishers, which can hurt the health of franchises.

    - Piracy causes crazy legislation like SOPA, ACTA and HADOPI.

    So in short, piracy hurts us all. Not just big companies.

    Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

  24. #74
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Bangladesh
    Posts
    2,827

    Default

    I can see lots of Kinect 2 exclusive feature of Tomb Raider 10.

    Voice commands list in Tomb Raider 10 (Right sides are the one you will command with Kinect 2.0):
    Moaning = (uh, ah, oh, o-yeah)
    Voicing for QTE's = ('E', 'F', 'Space bar')
    Instinct Mode = 'On' and 'Off'
    White ledges = Go Vapor
    Calling out someone = Sam... Sam... Saaaaaaaaam

  25. #75
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    512

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shaikh View Post
    I can see lots of Kinect 2 exclusive feature of Tomb Raider 10.

    Voice commands list in Tomb Raider 10 (Right sides are the one you will command with Kinect 2.0):
    Moaning = (uh, ah, oh, o-yeah)
    Voicing for QTE's = ('E', 'F', 'Space bar')
    Instinct Mode = 'On' and 'Off'
    White ledges = Go Vapor
    Calling out someone = Sam... Sam... Saaaaaaaaam
    Are you RAD enough for the Nintendo Laserscope.... er, I mean The Official Xbox One Kinect?


Page 3 of 43 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •