Page 1 of 61 123456789101151 ... LastLast

Thread: New Nosgoth Game in Development: Confirmed

Default New Nosgoth Game in Development: Confirmed

Edit 3:

Square-Enix has confirmed to VG247 that Crystal Dynamics is not developing ‘Nosgoth’, but that the new project that is linked to the Legacy of Kain franchise.

In a statement sent to VG247 this morning, a Square source confirmed that a studio is actively developing the title. The source told us, “Nosgoth exists and is in active development, but is not a traditional Legacy of Kain action-adventure game”, and added, “Nosgoth is set in the same universe as previous LoK games, but on a different branch to the Blood Omen and Soul Reaver series.”

Our source explained that the reason for talking to us about the project was to clear the air following Nosgoth leaks that came from AMD and Steam. The game will not be announced at E3, but the source added that Square is very excited about the concept.

They added, “We don’t want people to get the wrong idea about Nosgoth following the AMD and Steam leaks ahead of its future official announcement. Nosgoth is not being developed by Crystal Dynamics,” and added, “Crystal Dynamics are not working on a Legacy of Kain game”.

In closing our source at the publisher said, “This isn’t something we’d normally do, but we wanted to just give folks a bit more context for the direction, rather than just batten down the hatches.”
    http://www.vg247.com/2013/06/07/nosg...of-kain-title/ (posted by Shaikh)

EDIT: Hello internet!

---

Hi everyone,
    I don't think anybody else has picked up on this until now, hope it is worth a thread.

So since the War for Nosgoth hints began, I have been keeping an eye on Twitter search to see if anybody happens to let something slip. Well look at the exchange I noticed from last week:

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew D
    New CAP is live - AMD Catalyst 13.5 CAP1
    http://t.co/Rk9Wrdt7Yn
    Quote Originally Posted by James Quinton
    LOL this is a joke right? These games are OLD!
    Quote Originally Posted by kn00tcn
    cojg = released yesterday brand new, re6 = 2 months, coh2 = unreleased BETA, minimum = unreleased BETA, darksiders2 = 9 months
    Quote Originally Posted by kn00tcn
    additionally, i looked at the xml, takedown red sabre, war for nosgoth, remember me (unreleased & not mentioned in the CAP notes)
    To explain the significance of that, "Andrew D" is an employee of AMD. In this context, AMD is effectively a technology company responsible for helping developers to optimise their games for different platforms, with new drivers, patches and fixes (the Catalyst project).

A guy whines at Andrew that the new fixes only concern old games, then the user named "kn00tcn" installs the patch in the link, looks through some of the associated files, and proves him wrong by pointing out that there are some very recent games being supported here - some so recent they aren't even out yet. One of them is War for Nosgoth.

Just to confirm that this wasn't a bunch of baloney, I installed the patch myself and looked through the notes (you can too!). It appeared in the folder C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies. There are two patch logs, atiapf55.log and atiapfxx.log. Either will do. Open these in Notepad or any other text editor, and here are some excerpts of what you'll find:

"Nosgoth" and "War for Nosgoth" are in there multiple times, nestled comfortably enough in at the end of a list of games from this generation (closest to Takedown: Red Sabre and Remember Me, as mentioned). I haven't investigated thoroughly, but I don't think many, if any, of the titles in there are known to be cancelled projects. They all seem to be either released or upcoming games. DmC, Resident Evil 6, the new Call of Juarez, the next Splinter Cell, etc etc etc.

I'm afraid there aren't any actual details about this game(?) beyond its name, and the program associated with it - which is titled "BCMPGame.exe". Perhaps interestingly, there is absolutely no mention of the words "Legacy of Kain".

---

My personal conclusion: all this would suggest that War for Nosgoth is (or was) indeed a game, and one far enough into development to possess an .exe file which warrants external optimisation and custom driver profiles from AMD. Now I don't think I noticed any next-gen (PS4/Xbone) games in these lists, which could insinuate some possibilities:

1) though hopefully not the case, perhaps WfN is an unannounced PS3/360 game which will soon be released to die at the end of this gen;
    2) perhaps WfN always was, or has become, a launch title for next gen as was rumoured, and it might soon be announced;
    3) perhaps WfN was well into development but was recently cancelled thanks to Square Enix's financial struggles, and that's why we still haven't heard an announcement.

...and other permutations of the above, but unless I've missed something, I think this finding alleviates any doubt that this has been a real game in development for consoles and could be on its way soon.

Thanks to "kn00tcn". Please feel free to look into this further if you like, as I haven't accounted for everything in that file and there might be more to scrutinise.

---

EDIT: As an aside, it's rather nice to see a bunch of gaming websites posting links to this thread (though I'm not sure when I changed my name to "Eidos Forums poster" or "Eidos Games' community")!

(EDIT 2: Thanks to GameSpot, Joystiq and those others who did include a named credit )
    Last edited by The Hylden; 06-07-2013 at 05:03 AM. Reason: Updated OP
    Stones too can lie... Help edit the Legacy of Kain Wiki!

very interesting find! Thanks for sharing this makes the upcoming E3 even more interesting... it seems to hint that WfN actually exists, though what abreviation can "BCMPGame.exe" stand for? blood..something? xD

Divine Shadow/Mama Robotnik kindly took this discovery to NeoGAF, and added something new to the story. The Steam database now lists a game named "Nosgoth" with the following logo:

As DS notes, the circular symbol behind NOSG is surely supposed to be the dais of the Pillars of Nosgoth:

Unfortunately, and there is minimal info so I may be mistaken, but it seems the Steam profile credits the indie developers Psyonix Games as involved. They are best known for creating, err... well, nothing, really. Please let's collectively pray it's not some piece of crap MMO or any other form of assorted throwaway garbage.

I have my fingers crossed for BO1 remake

Uff, I hope its not Psyonix then... Seems to be like a small game, maybe rts? or diablo style?

Quote Originally Posted by Corlagon View Post
    it seems the Steam profile credits the indie developers Psyonix Games as involved
    Well, that actually means nothing, as Psyonix are mostly outsourcing team.

I'm kinda intrigued SteamDB says that this app was formerly named Black Cloth.

Yes, 'War For Nosgoth' is the next entry in the series. Come on Crystal Dynamics, do your magic again!

Guys, dont want to get our hopes up but the person on this LinkedIn profile has worked on a game named "Nosgoth" for Square Enix/Psyonix games:

https://touch.www.linkedin.com/?sess...n%2Fkevinriepl

This is very suspicious if not obvious...
    signature image

All these clues put together - there is definitely a game in the works! Submission on Steam proves it too and it´s being updated almost daily.

Thanks Ber! Kevin Riepl must have made music for Nosgoth, seems he worked on mostly shooters though (Gears of War, Unreal, Aliens: CM) and some movies.

Dr_Zoidberg: Indeed, why "Black Cloth" I wonder? and they changed it later to Nosgoth..
    Last edited by Raina Audron; 05-27-2013 at 02:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaikh View Post
    Yes, 'War For Nosgoth' is the next entry in the series. Come on Crystal Dynamics, do your magic again!
    Wouldn't pin any hopes on Crystal Dynamics and their magic if I were you - they said recently that they are not doing Legacy of Kain. First by Carl Stewart, again by Brian Horton.

Even if it is a small Guardian of Light-style game, the timing - five months since they said these things - makes their involvement near-impossible, assuming that they were telling the truth and not being mega-oblique.
    Last edited by Aevum; 05-27-2013 at 03:46 AM.

Announce something already!

This is starting to look promising

Wouldn't pin any hopes on Crystal Dynamics and their magic if I were you - they said recently that they are not doing Legacy of Kain. First by Carl Stewart, again by Brian Horton.

Even if it is a small Guardian of Light-style game, the timing - five months since they said these things - makes their involvement near-impossible, assuming that they were telling the truth and not being mega-oblique.
    Its Karl! And surely, he isn't working on it, someone else like his colleagues are. Moreover, they are not doing Legacy of Kain, but they are doing War For Nosgoth.

Its not like developers lie. Karl Stewart is no exception. He lied about multiple things during Tomb Raider campaign which I followed very closely. For example he said there will be no 'supernatural elements' and 'no white ledges' in Tomb Raider and both of them came false. There are more stories like that. Just don't trust Karl Stewart.

We had this kind of notion already in the other thread. I would still contend that even if we were all to accept Stewart had an absolutely terrible track record for veracity during Tomb Raider's PR campaign, that still doesn't give us license to dismiss Brian Horton. Or Noah Hughes. They have been clear time and again that they remain stooges to the Tomb Raider franchise and are trying to create new IPs in the precious little spare time they have.

I think it's fair to say their responses to LoK questions in general have sometimes come with a certain air of "please would you stop annoying us about that series". Barely anybody from the Defiance team is still at the studio now, in any case. I know this doesn't entirely preclude them from working on LoK, but certainly let's not set ourselves up for disappointment by jumping to the conclusion that they have been conspiratorially working on the next game all this time.

I believe there's three teams at Crystal Dynamics, at least. While developing TR, they confirmed they are working on two other IP's at the same time. And after TR finished, I believe guys like Brian Horton, Karl Stewart and Noah Hughes moved to another TR or related project. It can be Tomb Raider 10 or it can be Lara Croft: Reflections (a GoL type game) since they registered that domain too.

Also don't forget Cory Barlog moved to CrystalD. He could be in charge of another IP, not surprise it being ended as War For Nosgoth. If they work on the next TR/LCR & WFN, then the other IP could be Murdere: Soul Suspects, the game which revealed a few months ago as a SE title but didn't unveil the developer.

Anyway, whatever it is, fingers crossed for it being a LoK title from CD.

Please let's collectively pray it's not some piece of crap MMO or any other form of assorted throwaway garbage.
    man I'd play it regardless if its an mmo or not!! - new lok game in the works finally so who cares what it turns out to be gameplay wise as long as its our beloved vampires in SOMETHING!!
    "are you trying to bore me into submission?" ~ Raziel/Defiance
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by majinkura View Post
    man I'd play it regardless if its an mmo or not!! - new lok game in the works finally so who cares what it turns out to be gameplay wise as long as its our beloved vampires in SOMETHING!!
    No. This stance is wrong on so many levels, it's not even funny. The fact is, if it's a betrayal of our franchise, we must cry foul as loud as possible. Remember: they are interested in selling us something more than we are interested in buying. Or at least so they must think. And therefore, we order the music. Remember XCom. When a FPS reboot was announced back in '09, fans cried foul. The publishers made XCOM: Enemy Unknown, a real deal XCOM game to shut them up and now the shooter game (that's now a TPS with tactic element) is a spin-off to that. We have the power because we are paying customers. At our whim will this game be greeted or damned. At our whim.

Quote Originally Posted by Count D View Post
    No. This stance is wrong on so many levels, it's not even funny. The fact is, if it's a betrayal of our franchise, we must cry foul as loud as possible. Remember: they are interested in selling us something more than we are interested in buying. Or at least so they must think. And therefore, we order the music. Remember XCom. When a FPS reboot was announced back in '09, fans cried foul. The publishers made XCOM: Enemy Unknown, a real deal XCOM game to shut them up and now the shooter game (that's now a TPS with tactic element) is a spin-off to that. We have the power because we are paying customers. At our whim will this game be greeted or damned. At our whim.
    I have to agree with D there, I would prefer them not to release anything at all if their product is going to be bad...

I am dreading this more and more with each rumour and I really hope they shut me up and kill these fears when they announce something.
    signature image

Fingers crossed, please please be an LoK game and be decent!!! not MMO or something lame like that lol, we have waited so long.
    What I lack in intelligence I make up for with enthusiasm
    http://lucinvampireslair.blogspot.co.uk/

Also, Polygon contacted SE about this, so let´s wait if there will be an official statement.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorechild View Post
    It's amusing how gaming journalism works sometimes

Of course this is absolute proof.... that the detective work of Corlagon and Divine Shadow rocks!

Haha, the whisperers in the shadows have gone Streisand on us once again! Nice try folks!

Everyone take another look at Kevin Riepl's LinkedIn profile.
    Something's changed in the past few hours... can you spot the difference?

looking promising. hope it'll be announced at E3 for next gen consoles.
    Really hope we can get the PS2 games on a HD bundles for current gen before release. I'm dying to play all 3 of them lately but my old ps2 has seen better days
    If it doesn't hurt you're not doing it properly

With E3 arriving in a couple weeks its seems to make sense that news would start leaking out ;D This is very exciting! I hope it winds up being true.

As for "Black Cloth" maybe that's just a code name, to keep the very thing that's happening from happening Also, I'm thinking "BCMPGame.exe" probably stands for Black Cloth Multiplayer Game....hmmmm. I kinda hope that's not true...or at least it's a Multiplayer component to a Single player game.

What do you guys think?

btw, nothing is still happening at "WarForNosgoth.com".

Page 1 of 61 123456789101151 ... LastLast