Page 7 of 61 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161757 ... LastLast

Thread: New Nosgoth Game in Development: Confirmed

Hmmm...

Interesting, I am going yo keep an open mind about this - however I have loads of doubts about the Direction SE has decided to take.

Hopefully we wont be getting the low budget cash-in we fans are afraid of... if a multiplayer game is the idea they have, I hope they approach it somehow a la Dark Souls, that setup in the LoK universe could be interesting.

As the "Legacy of Kain" title is not present, maybe the game could be setup in the ancient history of Nosgoth as Kain's actions did not directly affect this time frame (as far as we are aware of).

And in a way I am pleased this will not touch the BO or SR plots as it could potentially affect (ruin) them.

Anyway, lets just hope they handle this properly.
    signature image

I am definitely excited to see a new addition to my favorite game universe.
    I am also prepared for it to be... Well lets just say "not the best entry in the story of Nosgoth."

I'm away for one freaking day and then this happens. D: I absolutely can't wait!

Quote Originally Posted by Strands Of Night View Post
    I am definitely excited to see a new addition to my favorite game universe.
    I am also prepared for it to be... Well lets just say "not the best entry in the story of Nosgoth."
    BO2 suddenly doesn't seem that bad, does it?

Hmm now that I've read further into this I am simply curious. I understand why the head into a different direction, seeing how making a sequel would simply not be profitable enough to justify the cost. Creating a game that is not directly linked to the series could raise enough popularity for the series to get a sequel or maybe re-done. If they make it for example similar to Guardian of Light, then this could lead to Soul Reaver getting a reboot similar to Tomb Raider.

I for one have always wanted a LoK game that I could play with my mates, so I'm happy they are making a multiplayer spin off. If executed well I can only see this generating more renewed interest in the series

After the shock wore off, I managed to shore up a Wikipedia article on the game tonight, for anybody interested.

Looking at a few exchanges at George Kelion's Twitter account, he volunteers that he is a huge fan of the series and really doesn't want to let it down. I suppose you would probably expect him to say that anyway, but it still seems rather commendable to me that he was willing to take a risk and try to put us at ease over what we found, before the game is genuinely announced. The thoughts he gives further down about innovating our way back into AAA cinematic gaming might give us some extra clues about the nature of this thing.
    Stones too can lie... Help edit the Legacy of Kain Wiki!

yes. think of this one as the franchise keeping itself afloat. first it has to learn to dog paddle again. then after they've built up some speed doing the side-stroke with this game, they'll be better able to give you the true sequel you're hungering for, the one that swims the English channel and makes forward progress. first let's get back into the groove of doing this world, and THEN, later, take big chances with choosing how to finish the LOK hero storyline. When said like that, isn't this honestly a sigh of relief????? They're NOT jumping right in and messing with the holy of holies, they're sticking their toe in the pool first and learning how to do this first.

Please be RTS please be RTS please be RTS.

Seriously, I think there would be potential there. Imagine the sort of things Sarafan, Vampire Hunters, Hylden, and Vampires could use in a war. I think that if done well, that could be cool, and it could even have a story. But I've got a bad feeling we're going to get something bad.

I dont like RTS! Im too much of a perfectionist. I cant stand when 2 out of my 50 units die because of bad pathing.

And while I do enjoy MMOs Im hoping this isnt one.

Heres to hoping Squid is right and a toe in the water turns into a scantily clad wet body that you just cant turn away from.

An RTS is much better than MMO or a MOBA. MOBA will turn everything in a mess, MMO just won't work. Whereas the series has a lot of interesting conflicts and factions for an RTS game, from Vampires vs Hylden to Kain's Empire vs Humans.

While I'd like a LoK RTS, it's just not happening. There would be a single player campaign if it was a RTS. If it was a multiplayer only RTS with no story, then why make it a LoK game?

take a game famous for its story and single player fun and turn it into a MULTIPLAYER game?!?!

not what I was expecting at all. but I can't say I'm surprised. SE has already killed final fantasy. Only stands to reason they'd dig up legacy of kain just so they can kill it all over again.

A MMO could work but it's not going to happen because they have final fantasy xiv out in 2 months time

I have a suspicion it's going to be a first person rpg like skyrim that focuses on online multiplayer though.... ugh
    If it doesn't hurt you're not doing it properly

Quote Originally Posted by Count D View Post
    Kain's Epic Yarn?
    That's every cutscene, surely

Quote Originally Posted by Count D View Post
    An RTS is much better than MMO or a MOBA. MOBA will turn everything in a mess, MMO just won't work. Whereas the series has a lot of interesting conflicts and factions for an RTS game, from Vampires vs Hylden to Kain's Empire vs Humans.
    Actually a MMO could work, in fact it could work too well. Different Vampire clans to create your character from, a giant land full of creatures and ruins and adventures. If they chose too an MMO could work beautifully. I just hope its not an MMO.

I think I'm going to wait to see what the blasted thing is before I start condemning it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tox1cboy View Post
    This might be the first step to getting LoK back into people's minds again.
    That's a double-edged sword, though. If the game flops or ends up cutting off both casual gamers and longtime fans... then LoK could be well and truly dead.

Multiplayer just sounds awful to me. The best thing about the LoK games was the feeling of isolation, of being the lone (anti)hero cut off from any aid, with every ally a dubious one at that. It sounds like they're pandering to popular opinion (games need multiplayer). Last time they pandered they turned Defiance into a DMC clone. I still maintain that LoK lost a piece of its identity with that move.

Hehe, I wanted to write a long post but I decided not to.

Instead, this will have five to seven different meanings all in one.

I'll only add that it better not be kid-friendly badass emo type of a vampire.

But when I think better, maybe it's better that it is so that I can really dislike the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Tox1cboy View Post
    Actually a MMO could work, in fact it could work too well. Different Vampire clans to create your character from, a giant land full of creatures and ruins and adventures. If they chose too an MMO could work beautifully.
    that is EXACTLY what i was hoping for..and taking quests from your lord/lt masters and even kain once you reach higher exp lv's like dragon age.

"are you trying to bore me into submission?" ~ Raziel/Defiance
    signature image

No doubt that when the promotional material starts rolling out I'll be giddy. I'd love to see that world in current-gen glory.

The posts on eurogamer are so funny xD

A MOBA? Cast them in.
    I bet Square Enix also expect it to sell 55 billion copies in the first weekend

"like dragon age."
    "DA:O - MMO"

At least the UI is there. But that's a terrible choice imo since DA:O was beyond cliche in all aspects of BioWare cliche storytelling and railroading. There're, literally, dozen of better choices (and DA:O isn't exactly a mmo but you may say so anyway since it felt like one)

But let's not forget that NOBODY WANTED A MMO out of this beyond, what kids say today, epic game series. This can be seen from a spit in the eye to the chopsticks in the gut since we're not receiving a fan-friendly but a kid-friendly version of |something related to LoK, but lol not exactly".

I'm agonized a bit. Going to play the guitar to ease the pain.

""Make it a MMO!, "Don't make it a MMO!", "Make it a RTS!", "Don't make it a RTS!"
    That's what you get when you make a game in the genre it has nothing to do with. Turning Syndicate from RTT into a FPS worked so well, right? Well, not exactly.

Out of all the bad choices personally I wouldn't mind a strategy (RTS, RTT, TBS), but no singleplayer makes that unlikely. There is no way I'm touching an MMORPG. However it is not a MMORPG because the costs of making and maintaining one are huge. If SE had money to spend on LoK we would be seeing a proper game.

The important thing now is how they handle a setting, because I still hope this is just a prelude for a normal game.

Or perhaps........... And this may be wishful thinking on my part. This could be Square Enix's attempt to lessen the blow of actual changes that are to be made in the series. By suggesting the worst possible game they could make with our beloved franchise. (Multiplayer, Not developed by CD etc) It will make us less inclined to criticize the actual single player game they are developing that may include a new plot or new voice actors. They might just switch it up on us down the line.

It's like you wanting ice cream for dinner as a child, your parents say you're getting spinach for dinner and you're like ewww. But in fact they were making mac and cheese. Not exactly what you wanted but it's surely better than spinach. (Mind you I love spinach so this doesn't work for me but you get what I'm saying.)

If it's true that they had planned a single-player story but scrapped it during production, I imagine that tends to rule out both RTS and MMO as template genres... unless there has been a really considerable shake-up in design, or they're cannibalising from multiple projects.

I would like to expect something along the lines of Guardian of Light, but I totally expect that pipe dream to be stepped on and crushed.
    Stones too can lie... Help edit the Legacy of Kain Wiki!

If the single player was cut out than it definitely isn't a MMO. It can still be a RTS, although a RTS without single player (campaign in particular) is not a full product (it's missing the only part I'm interested in). The most likely scenario is MOBA. Every company seems to have one theses days.

If it's a MMO, and KNOWING Square Enix they wouldn't be so silent about it.

Besides, Square's working on FF XIV realm reborn (whose trailer/intro I find adorable). I wonder will they be able to keep 2 MMO's (and such a huge marketing for both). The same goes for MOBA, but given that MOBA games are easy to play on Android (port wise and DotA players hate the term "MOBA") there's a slight chance for it to happen.

Then again perhaps it's some sort of an P&C aRPG (though Square's not famous for aRPG a la Diablo style)

What would amaze me is that it's similar to Divinity:Original Sin - a co-op tactical RPG.

But given everything I really don't know what's going to be. I just have to say that I'm both disappointing and glad that it isn't what I expected to be.

Page 7 of 61 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161757 ... LastLast