Eidos Forums  

Go Back   Eidos Forums > Eidos Classics > Legacy of Kain Series > Legacy of Kain - General Discussion

Old 06-01-2013, 12:55 AM
Gamer

Guys that list looks just fake - the original source is a non reliable gaming site in spanish and that particular list shows just too many sequels to known franchises and barely any new IPs.

I'd suggest to take it down as it will only fuel these rumours
Old 06-01-2013, 07:03 AM
Gamer

yep that seems to be the general consensus. I think Bioware employee Chris Priestly puts it best:

"We have not released any info to any distributer yet. Everything they are posting is placeholder guesswork and not real. E3 is coming with lots of new game info from all sorts of companies. Gamesites are posting updates now to prepare for immediate update when any real info is released at or around E3. Don't make too much of any game info that is "leaked" this close to E3, not just DA3."

But let's not forget the Streisand effect (we should have had enough experience of it now with Buxton and Riepl)- it's out there now and even if you could persuade all of the website owners/FBpages etc to take it down, then it would likely propagate it more - probably better to point out the flaws in the material where references appear.

...and Simon Templeman in mo-cap? Surely that's actually Geordi La Forge possessed by Kain
Old 06-01-2013, 04:24 PM
Gamer

The list shouldn't be thrown out completely, if you think about it makes sense in a way, let's just assume the rumors are true and there is a new Legacy of Kain title.

for example Batman Arkham III makes sense, Dark Souls 2 is true, the game is coming out in March 2014 Here of course not to the PS4, Gran Turismo 6 was semi-confirmed, and alot of other titles make sense as well.

So bottom line I am hopeful that there is a Legacy of Kain title in the work, with all these rumors going around, there MUST be something in the work, or so I hope.
Old 06-02-2013, 12:07 PM
Permanent Vacation

I wonder will the new game use cel shading.
Old 06-02-2013, 12:36 PM
Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Milky View Post
I wonder will the new game use cel shading.
Like The Darkness II ?!, not so sure about that to be honest.
Old 06-02-2013, 04:47 PM
Protagonist

I don't think cel shading would fit LoK.
http://www.thelostworlds.net/Etc/Thr..._for_2003.html Vehiculum Furtus Maximo!
Old 06-03-2013, 01:09 AM
Permanent Vacation

It's just a thought, though. A bit sarcastic anyway.
Well, seeing the logo and the previous mentions of the concept art (with a tattoo-over-eye vampire who jumps like in the X-men cartoon) and given the android reputation of the developer I find all of that to be rather fishy.
I was also seeing in some previous threads that some users expect that a new lok game (A decade ago thread) is not a final fantasy title (what would they say now when SE owns Eidos? ) but a true rpg like vtmb. A transition from gothic architecture to goth disco club.
So, just stating given that light - cel shading wouldn't hurt me if the series find a 180° turn and try to be mature because of nudity and cussing...
Old 06-03-2013, 12:23 PM
Gamer

Was doing a little digging and, no big deal at all, I found that Square Enix (or CSC, rather) has also registered just the domain "NosGoth.com". Whats weird about that is that its been registered since 2000. It was updated this past March 22nd.

http://whois.domaintools.com/nosgoth.com

I wonder what else they've registered.

EDIT: Hmmmm "Eidos Interactive, Inc." owns "LegacyOfKain.com" and that was just renewed Last December.....hmmm...Just tried to access it and it timed out on me....does that mean anything?

http://whois.domaintools.com/legacyofkain.com

Last edited by Tox1cboy; 06-03-2013 at 01:03 PM.
Old 06-03-2013, 01:55 PM
Gamer

nice spot Tox1cboy.

so it seems we have three websites registered for alternative names - I'd guess there will be some redirects when they're up? I can particularly see the LegacyofKain.com redirecting to the new title.

My initial thoughts on the 2000 date would be along the same lines - was Nosgoth.com originally put up as a redirect to the old Legacyofkain.com? Either way it looks like both been updated within the last few months and with the WFN registry it's an interesting pattern.

Legacyofkain December 2012> Warfornosgoth Feb2013> Nosgoth March 2013

Intriguing

Last edited by Bazielim; 06-04-2013 at 10:35 AM. Reason: clarifying
Old 06-04-2013, 09:59 AM
Protagonist

they didn't even spell kain right on that list.... legacy of kane..... like kane and lynch :P

hopefully this time next week we'll know more. all this speculation is doing my head in now..
Old 06-04-2013, 10:14 AM
Gamer

Do you guys think they'll tease this this week? I'm starting to see some teases for other games (Like Deus Ex: The Fall and stuff about Mirror's Edge 2 seems to be coming out) and I'm starting to get worried because I haven't seen anything teased for this.

Of course it is only Tuesday.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:16 PM
Gamer

it'll be even more troublesome by this time next week!
Old 06-05-2013, 08:15 AM
Eidos Moderator

Not sure if this is connected but...

Nixxes´ projects page, (they port games for Crystal Dynamics to pc and other consoles) lists two unnanounced projects for 2013/14 on their page. Could one of them be War for Nosgoth??

For the record, Nixxes did all the ports of the previous LOK games in the past.

Last edited by Raina Audron; 06-05-2013 at 09:48 AM.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:08 AM
Gamer

Hmmm SE has recenty announced the bew Deux Ex... Supossing thats one "unannounced title" the other one looks quite intriguing...
Old 06-05-2013, 09:57 AM
Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raina Audron View Post

Nixxes´ projects page, (they port games for Crystal Dynamics to pc and other consoles) lists two unannounced projects for 2013/14 on their page. Could one of them be War for Nosgoth??

For the record, Nixxes did all the ports of the previous LOK games in the past.
Interesting, it is certainly possible. How many more unannounced SE games are there?

Also, Crystal Dynamics' new unannounced game might not be Murdered: Soul Suspect after all....The developer for that game hasn't been announced yet. Not even in the new trailer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ber View Post
Hmmm SE has recenty announced the bew Deux Ex... Supossing thats one "unannounced title" the other one looks quite intriguing...
Maybe, but it seems like its only a Mobile game. Would they need a port service for it?
Old 06-05-2013, 10:51 AM
Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tox1cboy View Post
Interesting, it is certainly possible. How many more unannounced SE games are there?

Also, Crystal Dynamics' new unannounced game might not be Murdered: Soul Suspect after all....The developer for that game hasn't been announced yet. Not even in the new trailer.

Maybe, but it seems like its only a Mobile game. Would they need a port service for it?
Nixxes only ports to PC, AFAIK. And again, STEAM DATABASE.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:54 AM
Permanent Vacation

Quote:

Nixxes´ projects page, (they port games for Crystal Dynamics to pc and other consoles) lists two unnanounced projects for 2013/14 on their page. Could one of them be War for Nosgoth??
Great find. Well, given everything so far this wouldn't be surprising.

Something new is coming, that's definite!

---

What's frightening for me is that the newest Deus Ex game's for iOS
Old 06-06-2013, 02:14 AM
Eidos Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count D View Post
Nixxes only ports to PC, AFAIK. And again, STEAM DATABASE.
From reading on their site it says that they ported numerous games to ps3/xbox360 or even Soul Reaver for Dreamcast (they did not do the pc version, that explains why DC version is so good).

BTW, SE announced their E3 line up... but maybe they will show something unnanounced too?

Last edited by Raina Audron; 06-06-2013 at 08:39 AM.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:08 AM
Eidos Moderator

Quote:
BTW, SE announced their E3 line up... but maybe they will show something unnanounced too?
Boooo, lets hope that there will still be something.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:16 AM
formally known as Corlagon

It's an incomplete list, I think, because Final Fantasy XV (formerly named FF13 Versus) is also "secretly" scheduled, according to everything I've heard.

That said, I have increasingly less hope that we're getting a War for Nosgoth announcement at that event.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:56 AM
Gamer

Looks like I may be a bit late to the party, so sorry for "overquoting".

Nice detective work Eidos Forums po... I mean Corlagon ;-).

Definitely looks like a low budget game (possibly download only like LC:GoL), which is not necessarily a bad thing. The bad part is that it is probably a MOBA as the name would suggest, or a multiplayer focused game. Honestly, who needs MP in LoK? We will see what comes out of it but for now I don't have high hopes. On a bright side I don't see much chance of it being a MMORPG either. Hopefully it's just a prelude for a proper game. The logo however looks surprisingly good and somewhat reminds me of BO1 style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corlagon View Post
AMD is effectively a technology company responsible for helping developers to optimise their games for different platforms, with new drivers, patches and fixes (the Catalyst project).
A small correction. Catalysts are simply drivers for AMD graphic cards. The program of AMD working with developers to ensure the best performance on their hardware is called "Gaming Evolved" (an equivalent of Nvidia's "the way it's meant to be played").

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Zoidberg View Post
Well, that actually means nothing, as Psyonix are mostly outsourcing team.
I'm kinda intrigued SteamDB says that this app was formerly named Black Cloth.
They are the only company listed. And they are not porting it either since all Eidos PC ports are handled by Nixxes. Black Cloth is probably a working title (or the game was rebranded at some point to be a port of LoK series).

Quote:
Originally Posted by majinkura View Post
man I'd play it regardless if its an mmo or not!! - new lok game in the works finally so who cares what it turns out to be gameplay wise as long as its our beloved vampires in SOMETHING!!
As you have seen from the answers you received, many people care. Myself included. I said it before, that if they can't do the series justice then they should just leave it as it is.

Quote:
Maybe it's AAA but they are shoehorning an unnecessary multiplayer mode in, ala TR9 and Deus Ex 3?
Deus Ex 3 didn't have multiplayer. TR9 MP actually was the most criticised part of the game in reviews (which anyone outside SE saw coming). There is a chance that they will learn on their mistakes and not repeat it. But even if it's just a part of another game it shouldn't have two separate executables (it happens but is very rare).

Quote:
It seems the game is running on Unreal engine for sure, since Psyonix is using it. That makes me think.. if its UE, it wouldn´t be a small game.
Many small games use UE like for example Black Knight Sword or Unmechanical (or Psyonix's previous titles Whizzle and ARC Squadron). UE also almost definitely rules out CD as involved in the project (they have always been using their own tech).

Quote:
How many "Non Brand" MMOs have succeeded over the years? Even Brand MMOs fail (Matrix, D&D).
The brand has nothing to do with it (GuildWars seems to be doing fine). Actually the brand ones seem more likely to fail. But As I mentioned I don't see the chance of it being a MMORPG.

Quote:
This is probably a AAA game. The reason I think that is because there seems to be an awful lot of security surrounding it. Would so many Online portfolios and Linked-In profiles be changed or deleted for an iOS or Android game? Maybe...I suppose, but that just doesn't feel right.
It the result of the NDAs not the size of the game.

Quote:
The voice cast is the heart and soul of the series. If there is a new game and its developers replace or sideline those actors, there probably will be war (pun intended) from the fanbase - maybe to even greater extent than with MGS, Hitman, Splinter Cell, Thief, and so on...
It's not the same Simon that likes War for Nosgoth mentioned in earlier post, is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count D View Post
And remember - Hitman fans won. We should be outraged if Simon's not in there. Especially for some stupid reasons, like he can't do mocap or something.
But Starcraft fans did not, even though Glynnis Talken Campbell was interested in voicing Kerrigan (she even did some voice overs at some stage of development). And that mocap excuse is getting tiresome. It's not a reason - it's a pretext.

Quote:
CrystalD might really NOT be working on a LoK, so they're telling the truth....but no one can deny that "Nosgoth/War for Nosgoth" is a LoK property (especially with Pillars in the Logo) perhaps the IP is at a different company now. Wouldn't we have heard about that, though?
CD doesn't own the IP, SE does. If the IP was at the different company then we wouldn't be seeing Nosgoth either. IP is not just a name. It's the story, characters, locations etc..

Quote:
Originally Posted by swordsicle View Post
That's an interesting question, could they create the in game animations using a stand in voice and add Simon's voice in later, and adjust the timing of the video to sync up... ?
Of course they could. Just look at the animations in SR2 - those were done without any fancy mocap techiques, and the lipsynch still looks better than in many games today.

Quote:
Do you guys think they'll tease this this week? I'm starting to see some teases for other games (Like Deus Ex: The Fall and stuff about Mirror's Edge 2 seems to be coming out) and I'm starting to get worried because I haven't seen anything teased for this.
To be honest I don't think it's a E3 calibre game. They may simply announce it at some point without any teasers.

Quote:

Thief listed under 2013/14?
Nixxes ports all Eidos games. These two can be anything (one is probably Murdered: Soul Suspect). CD is said to be working on 2 titles, IO and EM are probably working on something too.

Quote:
It has a seperate forum outside of these boards. This makes me think that it may be an outside team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Milky View Post
What's frightening for me is that the newest Deus Ex game's for iOS
Eidos Montreal never seizes to amaze me. Every time I think their PR can't possibly get any worse they do something astonishing to prove me wrong. It's hilarious and scary at the same time.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:24 AM
formally known as Corlagon

Welcome back, and great observations Paradoks, I didn't think to consider that the use of Unreal should indeed rule out Crystal Dynamics as the leads. And, mea culpa. I played and finished Human Revolution a while ago; I have no idea what got me thinking it had a MP mode. I'm out of my mind.

Just to add that with Deus Ex: The Fall announced, I think the possibility that "Nosgoth" is a large-scale iOS/Android title has become very real. Hope it's something more, but at least that game looks reasonably faithful and similar to its source material.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradoks View Post
It has a seperate forum outside of these boards. This makes me think that it may be an outside team.
It's Airtight Games, I believe it was either confirmed or very reliably insinuated today or yesterday.

EDIT: Oh, I forgot, I have something fairly interesting to add... it's not exactly reliable, but I noticed that one of the gaming news sites which picked up on our collective discoveries made the following remark:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Chainsaw
Rumour had it that Legacy of Kain was getting a reboot. Grape vine told us it all went kaput. Maybe not?
Crazy theory, but maybe there is some possibility that this "Nosgoth" project originated as a spinoff of a bigger-budget LoK game for consoles, which is now cancelled? Or maybe it IS that game - just significantly downsized?

Ah, speculation on speculation...
Old 06-06-2013, 10:52 AM
Gamer

I hope it isn't anything that's been canceled. I just hope they're just postponing announcement because they haven't got far enough with the production yet.
Old 06-06-2013, 01:15 PM
Gamer

Quote:
Just to add that with Deus Ex: The Fall announced, I think the possibility that "Nosgoth" is a large-scale iOS/Android title has become very real. Hope it's something more, but at least that game looks reasonably faithful and similar to its source material.
It's on SteamDB and in AMD drivers so it is coming to PC. That's the only "confirmed" platform right now. Whether it comes to other platforms is an open question. I would say that the most likely scenario is download only for current gen systems (Steam, PSN and XBLA release). And The Fall is doomed. When you get ten times more "dislikes" than "likes" on your announcement video then you know that something went wrong.

Quote:
It's Airtight Games, I believe it was either confirmed or very reliably insinuated today or yesterday.
Indeed, they have it listed on their official site. Looks interesting, but I would prefer if Eidos kept forums for their games in one place.

Quote:
Crazy theory, but maybe there is some possibility that this "Nosgoth" project originated as a spinoff of a bigger-budget LoK game for consoles, which is now cancelled? Or maybe it IS that game - just significantly downsized?

Ah, speculation on speculation...
Or a reboot was cancelled and then they used it's parts to turn unrelated Black Cloth into a LoK game . Right now without a single official statement we can do nothing but speculate.

I have a hard time believing that there is no studio out there that would like to work on a LoK game out of love for the series. Things like this actually happen, just not very often. Like for example Mike Pondsmith saying about CD Projekt RED: "These guys are fans, these guys know the material, they're quoting things back to me I forgot". I can always dream, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by swordsicle View Post
I hope it isn't anything that's been canceled. I just hope they're just postponing announcement because they haven't got far enough with the production yet.
It was updated 6 days ago so it's definitely not cancelled. Not yet anyway .
Old 06-07-2013, 02:39 AM
Protagonist

Default Nosgoth in active development, not ‘traditional’ Legacy of Kain game

Quote:
Square-Enix has confirmed to VG247 that Crystal Dynamics is not developing ‘Nosgoth’, but that the new project that is linked to the Legacy of Kain franchise.

In a statement sent to VG247 this morning, a Square source confirmed that a studio is actively developing the title. The source told us, “Nosgoth exists and is in active development, but is not a traditional Legacy of Kain action-adventure game”, and added, “Nosgoth is set in the same universe as previous LoK games, but on a different branch to the Blood Omen and Soul Reaver series.”

Our source explained that the reason for talking to us about the project was to clear the air following Nosgoth leaks that came from AMD and Steam. The game will not be announced at E3, but the source added that Square is very excited about the concept.

They added, “We don’t want people to get the wrong idea about Nosgoth following the AMD and Steam leaks ahead of its future official announcement. Nosgoth is not being developed by Crystal Dynamics,” and added, “Crystal Dynamics are not working on a Legacy of Kain game”.

In closing our source at the publisher said, “This isn’t something we’d normally do, but we wanted to just give folks a bit more context for the direction, rather than just batten down the hatches.”
http://www.vg247.com/2013/06/07/nosg...of-kain-title/