Page 3 of 68 FirstFirst 1234567891011121353 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official TR10 Wish List

Quote Originally Posted by Murphdawg1 View Post
    More than likely someone would wear pants in a jungle environment to help protect their legs better.
    Lol, I knew someone would say that.

I think most people take this kind of stuff to literal. It's just a game.

More than likely *ship crashes onto Yamatai*

nevermind.

1. Lara should be able to swim/dive under water. (14)
    2. Make TR open world. (5)
    4. More Tombs to explore and should take longer. (15)
    6. Different locations to explore, like Egypt, Peru, etc.(7)
    7. Harder Puzzles (15)
    10. More stealth opportunities, like avoiding enemies/ non-lethal take downs.
    12. Keeping the Bow. (14)
    14. Dual pistols. (11))
    16. Keep the gritty horror & dark lighting atmosphere. (8)
    20. Keep it 18+ rated. (14)
    21. Croft Manor. (9) "Definitely"
    22. Having vehicles. (7)
    23. Acrobatic moves. (5)
    26. Lara in shorts. (6)
    27. Keep the long pants. (5)
    28. Lara’s main scars, like above her hip should be permanently on her. (10)
    29. Survive the environment more. (7)
    34. Keep Lara single. (7)
    40. Having no MP. Just SP. (6)
    41. Replay chapters. (9)
    43. Having Lara’s famous backpack. (7)
    46. Random food hunting like fishing, finding fruits, etc. (10)
    47. Having a grapple hook. (4)
    50. Keep Lara’s human side. (12)
    51. Keep Lara’s look as they are. (10)
    53. Keep the gameplay mechanic. (12)
    54. Keep Camilla. (12)
    56. Combining/crafting system. (7)
    57. Make documents to a cut scene or a slide show with spoken text. (5)
    58. Keep the amount of combat the same. (2)
    59. Regenerating health, no health packs. (2)
    61. Keep survival instinct. (2)
    62. Keep Rhianna Pratchett (6)
    68. Do Swan dives. (4)
    69. The ability to turn off helper buttons. Just like LAU had. (8)
    76. Use 'ah ha' plink for secrets throughout game (2)
    80. A lot more puzzles.
    83. Ability to set and create traps. (1)
    Last edited by andrew90; 05-16-2013 at 03:26 PM.
    signature image

Added to OP

as much i like naked women, lara dosent have to be nude in any way. relationship is one thing but also then, a sex scene is not needed to show her love for that person. doesnt matter now if she is with sam or a guy or anyone.
    signature image

I'm not going to vote for the topless+sex wish, because I don't like the latter. If the wish was only topless (like in the movie still that was just posted) that would be cool with me

Quote Originally Posted by pidipidi39 View Post
    Even If I'd love to see that , I don't want the new Lara to become again only a ''sex object'', like she was in the past.
    Guess what, new Lara is a sex object, just like I said she would be

Seriously, guys, just let it go already. You're not going to stop people from objectifying Lara. I know the devs said that you want to protect new Lara () but it's a lost battle

Quote Originally Posted by Jurre View Post
    I've got an opinion on this too, but we're supposed to keep this thread 'clean'. I suggest this discussion is continued in its own thread.
    Discussions are fine in this thread, as long as you keep them separate from the wishes/votes

We don't want Metal to suffer too much

Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

32. Lara having a relationship.

And new:
    - No linearity at all. Even in action-packed levels you should have at least to ways of going through.

yes, please, have mercy on me

@topic
    Added to OP

plus, added my wish to 89.
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by Driber View Post
    Guess what, new Lara is a sex object, just like I said she would be

Seriously, guys, just let it go already. You're not going to stop people from objectifying Lara. I know the devs said that you want to protect new Lara () but it's a lost battle
    Video game characters are always going to be objectified, that's what the people who play the games do, it's human nature to objectify. But it's how Lara or any other character in a game is portrayed, that's what matters. Lara isn't portrayed as a sex object in the game, she isn't exploited or posed topless in renders, she remains a female but it isn't something that's shoved in your face or used to sell the game.

I vote for:

80. A lot more puzzles.
    83. Ability to set and create traps. (2)
    85. Completely new secondary characters in every new game. (2)
    86. Better villains. (2)
    89. No linearity at all. Even in action-packed levels you should have at least to ways of going through. (2)

Can we add:

- More searchable containers/ items hidden within and with context

Quote Originally Posted by larafan25 View Post
    - More searchable containers/ items hidden within and with context
    I would like to add my vote to this one, as well as:

80. A lot more puzzles.
    85. Completely new secondary characters in every new game.
    86. Better villains.
    89. No linearity at all. Even in action-packed levels you should have at least to ways of going through.
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by dark7angel View Post
    89. No linearity at all. Even in action-packed levels you should have at least to ways of going through.
    But you have two ways in TR9 D:

Or do you mean being able to do stealth or combat everytime?

There's not two ways to get down to the Shanty Town, it's all cinematic action.

Quote Originally Posted by larafan25 View Post
    There's not two ways to get down to the Shanty Town, it's all cinematic action.
    Yeah, on this you are right... but, for example, you can escape from the enemies (at the gate's combat) and run around the shanty town killing them one by one or you can jump into the action and be 1 vs 100 lol

In Legend for example this wasn't possible... there was only one way of going through combat...

That was what I meant with ''two ways''

I'm not sure hat wish is about combat though, it just says action and to me it kind of implies levels or areas such as rescuing the crew, etc.... those very action-oriented "sequences" don't offer non-linearity or multiple ways.

To suggest a couple...

One nobody's done yet, other than the oblique reference to 18+, and though it's not a big thing it nonetheless rankles:

90. Lose the profanity - regardless of the 18+ rating.

A guy I once worked with was fond of a phrase I've never forgotten: "Profanity is a strong way of expressing a weak mind." I agree, fully.

This it not an issue of religious mores but rather the easy avoidance of something that's on the general level of Beavis and Butthead and which therefore needlessly pollutes the game with a sewer of gutter juvenility that TR has heretofore managed to stay above. It reminds me of the jarring, gratuitous profanity in that horrid thing called "Longest Journey" - the first PC game I never finished, out of mind-numbing boredom despite beautiful graphics. IOW, do we really need this? Yes, it may seem more "real," but can't we escape any of the uglier details of "real life" even in an adventure game? 'Nuff said.

'Not real clear on whether we're supposed to be voting on more than one item (though most here are,) but make this one my official vote, 'cause it's probably of the most importance to me as a TR fan and gamer:
    91. Return to the "unreal."

I did a gloriously-verbose soapbox rant over on the "Lara's look" thread that pretty much covers it. All "realistic" human-vs.-human conflict and zero element of the fantastic, the alien or the impossibly weird (think: TRIII's Willard Spider Mutant, among a few hundred others,) make Lara a dull girl.

I should add a positive I failed to mention about TR 2013: 'Liked the wolf attacks as a relief from the endless Bad Guy shoot-'em-ups - though the continuing absence of the above-Lara's-shoulder camera-lock option and the sad limitation of most humanoids to two hands makes keeping them in front of you a full-time task that doesn't allow for anything so complex as shooting. So that brings up another wish that I haven't seen on any lists:

92. Restore the 3rd-person above-Lara's-shoulder camera lock of the early TR games, at least as a toggleable option.

Camera control has been a continuous thorn in the side of TR gamers since - I forget, Legend? - and is something I just don't want to have to dink around with, ever. YMMV. Just give us that simple option, with the standard "Look" function assigned to whatever key or button. In some contexts full camera control is useful, but most of the time it's just a colossal pain in the arse. And then there's the whole "Let's all have a good barf" thing that some have brought up - I came across that during a couple of the heavy wind sequences and had to stop playing just to get the vertigo and nausea under control. The opposite of fun, that.
    AMANOGAWA EXPRESS ~ 日本大好き! ~

Quote Originally Posted by 220_Volts View Post
    Video game characters are always going to be objectified, that's what the people who play the games do, it's human nature to objectify. But it's how Lara or any other character in a game is portrayed, that's what matters. Lara isn't portrayed as a sex object in the game, she isn't exploited or posed topless in renders, she remains a female but it isn't something that's shoved in your face or used to sell the game.
    I have seen no one wishing for Lara to be topless in a render, so your argument about "using sex to sell the game" is entirely void.

Li Mu Bai wishing for Lara to be topless meant in-game AFAICS.

Blatantly posing nude Lara in a render and doing something tasteful such as this http://forums.eidosgames.com/showpos...6&postcount=41 in-game (i.e. justified in the context of a specific cutscene) are two completely different things.

Not that it's ever going to happen, of course. Just sayin'

Quote Originally Posted by KasigiYabuSama View Post

A guy I once worked with was fond of a phrase I've never forgotten: "Profanity is a strong way of expressing a weak mind." I agree, fully.

This it not an issue of religious mores but rather the easy avoidance of something that's on the general level of Beavis and Butthead and which therefore needlessly pollutes the game with a sewer of gutter juvenility that TR has heretofore managed to stay above. It reminds me of the jarring, gratuitous profanity in that horrid thing called "Longest Journey" - the first PC game I never finished, out of mind-numbing boredom despite beautiful graphics. IOW, do we really need this? Yes, it may seem more "real," but can't we escape any of the uglier details of "real life" even in an adventure game? 'Nuff said.
    Fully agreed

+1 to that wish for me.

Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

Quote Originally Posted by KasigiYabuSama View Post
    To suggest a couple...

One nobody's done yet, other than the oblique reference to 18+, and though it's not a big thing it nonetheless rankles:

'Not real clear on whether we're supposed to be voting on more than one item (though most here are,) but make this one my official vote, 'cause it's probably of the most importance to me as a TR fan and gamer:
    91. Return to the "unreal."

I did a gloriously-verbose soapbox rant over on the "Lara's look" thread that pretty much covers it. All "realistic" human-vs.-human conflict and zero element of the fantastic, the alien or the impossibly weird (think: TRIII's Willard Spider Mutant, among a few hundred others,) make Lara a dull girl.

I should add a positive I failed to mention about TR 2013: 'Liked the wolf attacks as a relief from the endless Bad Guy shoot-'em-ups - though the continuing absence of the above-Lara's-shoulder camera-lock option and the sad limitation of most humanoids to two hands makes keeping them in front of you a full-time task that doesn't allow for anything so complex as shooting. So that brings up another wish that I haven't seen on any lists:

92. Restore the 3rd-person above-Lara's-shoulder camera lock of the early TR games, at least as a toggleable option.

Camera control has been a continuous thorn in the side of TR gamers since - I forget, Legend? - and is something I just don't want to have to dink around with, ever. YMMV. Just give us that simple option, with the standard "Look" function assigned to whatever key or button. In some contexts full camera control is useful, but most of the time it's just a colossal pain in the arse. And then there's the whole "Let's all have a good barf" thing that some have brought up - I came across that during a couple of the heavy wind sequences and had to stop playing just to get the vertigo and nausea under control. The opposite of fun, that.
    It's not like there was cursing every 2 seconds. I'm pretty sure if most of us were in the situation Lara or even Sam were in we'd probably use a few four letter words as well.

It's not like there was cursing every 2 seconds.
    Play the game again with subtitles on; there was a LOT of swearing. You may miss a lot of it if you don't pay very close attention to the dialog.

I'm pretty sure if most of us were in the situation Lara or even Sam were in we'd probably use a few four letter words as well.
    I'm sure this was the flawed logic that Rhianna was going by, yes

Added to OP

also, added my wish to 90.

it never felt to me there was a lot of profanity in the game. compared to max payne 3, TR is kindergarten. i personally dont mind some minor swearing. lara using the S word was a pretty natural reaction after not finding any first aid supplies in the downed chopper. besides, it were the other guys who were swearing a lot, and thats pretty obvious that they will be foul mouthed. if they woulndt swear, it would feel like a parody. seeing this primitive scavengers doing their dirty work and they dont swear one bit, just feels awkward.

now i have to use a personal view, but im glad that this TR is more down to earth. towards the ending with the samurais was already supernatural enough and it worked. having more unreal stuff in it, would make this reboot a loss and take away all the elements we know from this one.
    like i said, its a personal view. i enjoyed this TR for what it is because its not over unreal again as the other titles. i always wanted a TR game that is more real.
    signature image

^ The F word is not "minor" swearing by any stretch of the imagination. Minor swearing would be "damn" etc.

I agree with you that it makes sense that those low lives that were trying to kill Lara would use profanities - I have no problem with that whatsoever. It's Lara swearing (and using pretty vulgar words at that) that is putting me off.

It's un-lady-like and to me, it's un-Lara-like.

She doesn't have to stoop down to that level just for the sake of "realism"

As for it being "natural" - that doesn't hold water in my view, either. It's also natural to be naked, yet due to social norms, we won't see Lara's private parts in a TR game and I bet most fans (including me, for the record) support this notion.

Being naked and using profanity are both against social norms. I don't see why one would be acceptable and the other not. But hey, that's just my crazy logic

lol, looks like it.
    and what i mend more with "minor swearing" is the amount of profanity (should have made it clearer. my mistake). yes, the F word is a strong one but is not that frequently used in TR as in other games.
    i also wasnt used to hear max payne using the F word a lot. we never heard these words in the first 2 titles and suddenly part 3 explodes with profanity. but to me, it worked.
    and a lady not swearing just makes me laugh. i can name many "ladies" who swear a lot. at times more then men. and im talking from experience as being a ex-security officer. and i was at very fancy places where only rich people are. there i hear the F word pretty much every 5 minutes. especially from women.

that you say that its not lara like, i can understand, because she never used bad language in previous games, but they were also mend for younger players.
    and i know you will say that even in a mature game there doesnt have to be profanity, which i agree, but the situation lara is in, i think everyone would lose it at one stage and do and say something you normally would never do. so thats why i said "natural"

and regarding nudity, i see this as a different thing. hearing words and seeing things is a little different to me.
    if you have played the game "the void" (which actually got a PG rating in australia) you see fully naked women. no im not kidding. fully naked. but they arent shown in a sexual way but in an artistic way. they dont pose in an sexy way to turn someone on but they are just naked to give them an fragile/helpless feeling. and it worked wonderfully in this game. i dint see them as an sexual being but as a helpless person who needed help.

i dont want to see lara naked either (after all i dint vote for her being naked) but if so, and i mean "if so", then it really depends in what way she is exposed to. if its shown like in the movie "witness" were this amish woman was washing her self, or in "braveheart" after the wedding (ok, this was more a romantic scene), this could work. but as i said, its not needed and i can live very well with it.
    but again, this is just my view of nudity.

edit:
    and regarding this pic of alngelinas naked back as an acceptable moment, i see this as an provocative scene.
    Last edited by Metalrocks; 05-20-2013 at 02:47 AM.
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by Metalrocks View Post

i dont want to see lara naked either (after all i dint vote for her being naked) but if so, and i mean "if so", then it really depends in what way she is exposed to.
    Indeed, everything depends on the context.

I've got a gut sense that Crystal Dynamics will never show her topless and/or having sex, but if they did it would not automaticly mean the sexualisation of Lara, as many people I think would claim.

Kate Winslet goes naked and has sex with Leonardo in Titanic, but I think few people would consider her character to be sexualized. That is because the movie does not show her nude exclusively for the sake of her being nude, but because of her character of Rose wanting to revolt against the oppressing way her family and boring husband are controlling her life, she does what would have been totaly unthinkable if she were to obey them. And of course, it shows the hight of her emotional commitment to Leonardo.
    On the other hand, Megan Fox in the transformers movies is definitely sexualized, whilst she doesn't go naked or even shows that much cleavage. It's in the little ways her character is treated ("hey you! in the sports bra!") or how shamelessly Michael Bay lets the camera zoom in on her. And as a viewer you know that her sexyness is done for no other person than the movieviewer, because there's no chemistry between her and her supposed boyfriend...

Depending on the context, a naked Lara could be less of a sex object than in, for example, Legend, were the camera shows a close up of her backside in the starting cutscene of level 2, or Underworld, were she wears the most ridiculous wetsuit imaginable.

When it comes to sex in games I always refer to the scene in Prince of Persia the Sands of Time as an example of how this can be done right. I'll show the youtube movie once again:

I think this is a beautiful scene. It's gentle and romantic, and more suggestive than explicid, showing no full nudity. It also fits within the context of the game, because when they kiss the Prince wakes up as if it were a dream and finds that his precious dagger is gone. So it may all have been a halucination so that the Princess could take his weapons away.

If a sexscene would show up in a future Tomb Raider that treats the subject like this I would sing its praises from a mountaintop. If it would treat it with juvenile Leslie Nielsen humour I think it would be the worst idea in the history of mankind since the invention of the H-bomb.

OMG you're such a perv for wanting to have a scene like that in TR! Stop objectifying Lara, Jurre!

Quote Originally Posted by Metalrocks View Post
    lol, looks like it.
    and what i mend more with "minor swearing" is the amount of profanity (should have made it clearer. my mistake). yes, the F word is a strong one but is not that frequently used in TR as in other games.
    Heh, thanks for clarifying. But you're still wrong IMO, because Lara *does* swear quite a lot in TR9 with vulgarities (she also says the S-word often). There's no denying that. Even the devs said so

So I stand by my view that it's not a case of "minor swearing". As I said earlier to someone else - try playing the game with subtitles on and you may catch a lot more occasions where Lara swears; they are often easily missed in the heat of battle.

i also wasnt used to hear max payne using the F word a lot. we never heard these words in the first 2 titles and suddenly part 3 explodes with profanity. but to me, it worked.
    What worked in a completely different game is irrelevant to me, really. If it worked in May Payne - great. TR is a different game.

and a lady not swearing just makes me laugh. i can name many "ladies" who swear a lot. at times more then men. and im talking from experience as being a ex-security officer. and i was at very fancy places where only rich people are. there i hear the F word pretty much every 5 minutes. especially from women.
    lol, you're laughing at something I have never claimed, so the joke's on you

I didn't say that women do not swear. I know they do. My girlfriend does, too. That's all fine and I'm not claiming otherwise

that you say that its not lara like, i can understand, because she never used bad language in previous games, but they were also mend for younger players.
    The 18+ rating has nothing to do with it. If the game was rated teen and used the exact same kind of language as in TR9, you wouldn't magically change your mind about swearing, would you?

Just because a game is 18+ doesn't automatically mean that suddenly "everything goes". If CD would use the rating logic as a justification to release nude raider there would still be an uproar about it.

and i know you will say that even in a mature game there doesnt have to be profanity, which i agree, but the situation lara is in, i think everyone would lose it at one stage and do and say something you normally would never do. so thats why i said "natural"
    lol, so "losing it" automatically means saying the S and the F word? That's a very simplistic way of looking at it, IMO. If you're saying those profanities in moments of stress, it still means that you are already conditioned to use that kind of language. And that just means that Lara is less of a role model than she used to be.

and regarding nudity, i see this as a different thing. hearing words and seeing things is a little different to me.
    No, it's not that black&white. Some images can hurt more than some words, and some words can hurt more than some images.

One isn't automatically "worse" than the other.

You can't tell me that Michelangelo's David is more controversial than, say, Sarah Silverman, Rosanne, or Richard Pryor.

and regarding this pic of alngelinas naked back as an acceptable moment, i see this as an provocative scene.
    Well, Lara took off her towel in her own house and right before she took a shower. So it could not BE any more contextually justified

Noticed one of the suggestions is to keep tombs secret without help popups or arrows. That will lead to players completing the game not finding any tombs, thus defeating the point of it being tomb raider. Keep in mind it is Tomb Raider, not optional Tomb Raider, or just Farcry with a girl, the whole game should be a tomb with glorious treasures where we go to exotic places meet rare species encountering ancient cultures and kill them.

Quote Originally Posted by BridgetFisher View Post
    Noticed one of the suggestions is to keep tombs secret without help popups or arrows. That will lead to players completing the game not finding any tombs, thus defeating the point of it being tomb raider. Keep in mind it is Tomb Raider, not optional Tomb Raider, or just Farcry with a girl, the whole game should be a tomb with glorious treasures where we go to exotic places meet rare species encountering ancient cultures and kill them.
    For me, the problem is that when you get near a "secret" tomb you have bells + white chalk drawings + a text saying you are near a tomb! This is just too much in my opinion!!! It's like it has neon lights pointing to it!!!
    signature image

Page 3 of 68 FirstFirst 1234567891011121353 ... LastLast