Eidos Forums
Go Back   Eidos Forums > Current Games > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider (2013) General Discussion > Technical discussions & bug reports

Notices

Old 04-17-2013, 05:11 AM
Developer Representative
Eidos Official

Default PC Patch Released - 1.01.743.0 - April 17th 2013

We have just made public a new version of the PC version of Tomb Raider, build 1.01.743.0. This patch will be applied by Steam automatically when you next start the game. If your game does not update, please restart the Steam client.

This is primarily an update to fix a problem introduced in the previous patch, but it brings some other improvements as well.

New fixes in 743.0:

- Resolved a problem where mouse control in the basecamp upgrade screen would not work properly since build 742.0.
- Stereo3D parameters for strength and depth can now be modified in the registry beyond their normal in-game range again.
- GPU performance improvements, specifically at higher quality levels.

While we expect this patch to be an improvement for everyone, if you do have trouble with this patch and prefer to stay on the old version we made a Beta available on Steam, Build742.0, that can be used to switch back to the previous version. Please note however that you can only play multiplayer with people that share your version.

Unfortunately we do not yet have a resolution for the players that are experiencing crashes and major graphical corruption on NVIDIA hardware. Some progress has been made though, and we expect hope to have an update soon.

We will keep monitoring for feedback and will release further patches as it seems required. We always welcome your feedback!
Old 04-17-2013, 05:14 AM
Gamer

i hope you release a non-steam disc version after all the updates are done. with all updates in.

Last edited by daaceking; 04-18-2013 at 06:23 AM.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:22 AM
Gamer

Thanks Nixxes! You guys rock!
I'll try it out when I get home later.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:32 AM
Gamer

Really?? Amazing! Go Nixxes!
Old 04-17-2013, 10:06 AM
Gamer

Boy you guys are fast!
Old 04-17-2013, 11:35 AM
Gamer

Another patch? Dayum, y'all are fast.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:23 PM
Gamer

Started a new game to see how it's working.
I still have the kaleidoscope bug on some areas and the game just hanged with a black screen.
Nixxes, is the MultiCoreFlushMode reg key now default with the new patch or is it still in testing?
Thanks.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:02 PM
New Player

great job CD!!! paying attention to such detail as regedit!

now, would you be so kind to consider looking at the 3D surround issues?

first, in Surround, TressFx hair is flickering all the time (not in single screen). Eyefinity doesn't seem to have this problem.

then, the 3D crosshair fix isn't applied to 3D surround.

thanks, and again, for the 3D vision support.
Old 04-18-2013, 02:24 AM
Gamer

i was right. performance was reduced in last patch. back to normal.

saving issue gone.

good work!

EDIT: this update is a gem. it's not flawless but my ati really likes this. the best update yet. i've not tested this on the nvidia.

Last edited by daaceking; 04-18-2013 at 06:23 AM.
Old 04-18-2013, 03:44 AM
Gamer

Improves performance in benchmark by 4fps from 88 to 92.No improvemnt ingame.Seems like it reduces performance when i use multicoreflushmode trick.Useless patch back to previous one.

As expected performance improvement are only meant for ATI cards not nvidia.lol

Last edited by cooldudesubho; 04-18-2013 at 04:04 AM.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:28 AM
Developer Representative
Eidos Official

cooldude: Actually in our measurements this patch included changes made by NVIDIA that are known to improve performance on NVIDIA hardware more than they would on AMD hardware... Those do only work in GPU limited situations, so if that's not happening it may not do anything for you.

teamdrop: The TressFX hair flickering in 3D Surround is something that NVIDIA will likely have to fix in their drivers, if they feel so inclined. They are having problems with TressFX when the resolution is too high.

For the crosshair in surround, are you saying it is not displayed in 3D at all in this case, still flat? Or the depth is wrong somehow? This is the first I had heard about that. I will ping this across to a dev if can get some more info.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:29 AM
Developer Representative
Eidos Official

Devill: MultiCoreFlushMode is still not the default, we'll probably need new NVIDIA drivers before that can happen.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:01 AM
Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixxes View Post
cooldude: Actually in our measurements this patch included changes made by NVIDIA that are known to improve performance on NVIDIA hardware more than they would on AMD hardware... Those do only work in GPU limited situations, so if that's not happening it may not do anything for you.

teamdrop: The TressFX hair flickering in 3D Surround is something that NVIDIA will likely have to fix in their drivers, if they feel so inclined. They are having problems with TressFX when the resolution is too high.

For the crosshair in surround, are you saying it is not displayed in 3D at all in this case, still flat? Or the depth is wrong somehow? This is the first I had heard about that. I will ping this across to a dev if can get some more info.
Does ultra shadow make you gpu limited?This patch definately doesn't improve performance for me in forest region with ultra shadow.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:05 AM
Developer Representative
Eidos Official

Ultra Shadow is mainly a GPU cost, though it is impossible to say for certain whether this makes you GPU limited, this depends on a lot more factors. The majority of the performance improvements in this patch are related to Ultra level Depth of Field, if you have that set lower you probably won't notice much.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:09 AM
Gamer

Quote:
Ultra Shadow is mainly a GPU cost, though it is impossible to say for certain whether this makes you GPU limited, this depends on a lot more factors. The majority of the performance improvements in this patch are related to Ultra level Depth of Field, if you have that set lower you probably won't notice much.
I always play with ultra depth of field.Is DOF really demanding?I never turned it off.I find ultra shadow most demanding setting in forest regions.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:51 AM
Gamer

i sure would like some info why enabling post processing halves my fps. from 72 to 36.

even in v716 when i was getting 60fps. it would still drop to 36 fps. nvidia. everything pretty much maxed excluding luxuries such as shampoo/aa/af/vsync and ultra shadows [not really enabled this since you added it]

1920x1080
gtx 580m v285.85 [custom msi overclock drivers]
sandy i7 2.4-3.5 quad core
12gb ram
raid-0 2xhdd 7200rpm
anything else?

EDIT: as far as I can tell, it only makes the light glow. I don't see why glowing light eats 36fps.

Last edited by daaceking; 04-18-2013 at 11:17 AM.
Old 04-18-2013, 03:06 PM
New Player

Quote:

thanks for the reply!

Nvidia have said that they're looking into the TressFx flickering and working on the a fix, but that's before their latest driver~ guess I have to wait if that'll ever happen.

in 3D surround, the crosshair behaves the same as before game patch fix. I have to play with 25-30% depth and 50% (or 120%) strength to get the correct crosshair "position." all other depth/strength combo, the aim would be off.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:52 PM
New Player

I can't seem to update beyond build 742. Restarted steam but nothing yet. any ideas?
Old 04-27-2013, 03:48 AM
Developer Representative
Eidos Official

Are you sure you have not configured yourself on one of the beta branches? If that doesn't help, try verifying local content or a reboot.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:33 AM
New Player

I've applied this 743.0 patch (and all of the previous ones), but the game always freezes and switches to a black screen after 15 minutes of gameplay. I've reverted back to the 716.5 build on Steam since that's the only one that is stable and won't freeze my laptop, but I'm not sure what is happening.

I think it might be my processor since it just meets the minimum requirements to run the game. It doesn't bother me much to play on an older build since I haven't had a chance to check out multiplayer, but felt like letting you know.

My specs are as follows:
Quote:
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU Q 720 @ 1.60GHz
8GB RAM
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition Service Pack 1 (build 7601), 64-bit
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650
Thanks to the team for releasing all of the patches!
Old 05-02-2013, 07:50 AM
Developer Representative
Eidos Official

Hi Daiv,

Your processor is indeed fairly low-end, but it should not cause a freeze. A few questions:

- Can you check that no dumps are written in the game folder in Steam when this happens?
- Also, please ensure you have the latest drivers for your AMD video card.
- Last, what settings are you running at? Please try running at lower quality settings if possible to see if the problem goes away.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:58 PM
New Player

Quote:
Hi Diav,

Your processor is indeed fairly low-end, but it should not cause a freeze. A few questions:

- Can you check that no dumps are written in the game folder in Steam when this happens?
- Also, please ensure you have the latest drivers for your AMD video card.
- Last, what settings are you running at? Please try running at lower quality settings if possible to see if the problem goes away.
Thanks for the quick reply, Nixxes!

Here are the answers to your questions:
1) No dumps can be found in the Steam game folder.
2) My drivers are up to date.
3) I'm usually playing at Normal quality, but I'll test out the most recent patch on Low quality and will let you know if that helps.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:52 AM
New Player

Hi Nixxes

Im just curious... Since you guys havent closed this patch thread like the others, this is the last patch planed for PC?
Old 05-03-2013, 09:54 AM
Developer Representative
Eidos Official

No we do actually expect some further updates. We typically closed the threads when discussion seemed to go out of hand, and stopped being about the patch, or in anticipation of that. That hasn't really happened here.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:53 PM
Gamer

@diav

you're probably getting a "display driver has stopped working and has successfully recovered" in the background. you may want to update your driver. you caould try downgrading if you hae the latest driver already. display drivers are pretty random so the latest isn't always the best.