Eidos Forums
Go Back   Eidos Forums > Current Games > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider (2013) General Discussion > Technical discussions & bug reports

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 02:21 AM
Developer Representative
Eidos Official

Default PC Patch Released - 1.0.718.4 - March 9th 2013

We have just made public a new version of the PC version of Tomb Raider, build 1.0.718.4. This patch will be applied by Steam automatically when you next start the game. If your game does not update, please restart the Steam client.

This update addresses a variety of issues that we either found out about shortly before release or immediately after.

Fixes include:

- Addressed some stability and startup issues on machines that have both Intel and NVIDIA graphics hardware.
- Fix for players being unable to progress related to the boat in the beach area.
- Some fixes for crashes on startup and when selecting Options.
- Some small improvements to TressFX hair rendering.
- Fixes for various graphics glitches, including certain effects not being visible in fullscreen mode.
- Fixed a problem that caused some users to not be able to use exclusive fullscreen.
- Added support for separate mouse/gamepad inversion for aiming, as well as support for x-axis inversion.
- Fixes related to the benchmark scene and benchmark mode.
- Various other small fixes.

While we expect this patch to be an improvement for everyone. If you do have trouble with this patch and prefer to stay on the old version we made a Beta available on Steam, Build716.5, that can be used to switch back to the previous version. Please note however that you can only play multiplayer with people that share your version.

We expect further patches to follow fairly soon, addressing further issues we see being brought up by players, and are actively monitoring these and other forums looking for issues.
Old 03-09-2013, 02:27 AM
New Player

How is this patch meant to be used effectively to fix the beach bug?

I am at the part where the beach bug has screwed up my game, but the patch has not cleared the problem at all. I still can't progress, dont have the special arrow, and can't collect the arrow from the mast head (the cut scene does not start when I reach the waypoint).

Wat do?
Old 03-09-2013, 02:30 AM
New Player

Thanks for the patch, hopefully it will make my game a little more stable.
Old 03-09-2013, 02:31 AM
Gamer

wow I was just about to say that I'll be putting this game on hold for now, I'll be just waiting for a game patch from Nixxes and a whql driver from nvidia, but you released a patch this soon, thats WONDERFUL NEWS, thanks a bunch
Old 03-09-2013, 02:40 AM
Inside Man
Eidos Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerem0ny View Post

I am at the part where the beach bug has screwed up my game, but the patch has not cleared the problem at all. I still can't progress, dont have the special arrow, and can't collect the arrow from the mast head (the cut scene does not start when I reach the waypoint).

Wat do?
So you've patched up, loaded your save game in.. have you then tried reloading previous checkpoint?
Old 03-09-2013, 02:41 AM
Gamer

Thanks for the update on the patch. Love the game so far aside from the occasional crash and random frame drops. I appreciate all the effort you guys/gals put into making this game and know you guys/gals are working hard to iron all the bugs out. I'm sure Nvidia is churning away on a new driver, too.
Old 03-09-2013, 02:47 AM
Gamer

Hey I just tested the patch it is great but the reset brightness bug is still there, the brightness levels are ok until you use the instinct mode then the colors look washed out and too bright.
Old 03-09-2013, 02:58 AM
Developer Representative
Eidos Official

Are you seeing that brightness problem only while instinct mode is active? Or also after instinct is then removed again?
Old 03-09-2013, 03:03 AM
New Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycw2309 View Post
So you've patched up, loaded your save game in.. have you then tried reloading previous checkpoint?
Yes, patched up, loaded saved game, and restored previous checkpoint...

the NPC's are still in their new, strange places, the marker is still on the shipwreck with the mast or whatever already broken, and standing in the golden light with the marker does nothing...

the bow isn't upgraded either...

is there a savegame or something I can use? i spent hours upon hours collecting things and don't know if I've got it in me to restart!

Old 03-09-2013, 03:06 AM
Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixxes View Post
Are you seeing that brightness problem only while instinct mode is active? Or also after instinct is then removed again?
only after the instinct is removed again when you move, the brightness bug becomes really visible after the game is saving in checkpoints (the TR logo appears in the bottom right corner) the brightness levels get to normal level and when I use the instict mode and I move the whole picture/game gets much much brighter and even lowering the brightness in the graphic options game menu to minimal level is not helping.
My computer specs are these
ASUS MAXIMUS V FORMULA
Intel Core i5-3570K
2xGIGABYTE N670OC-2GD Sli
16GB KIT(4x4) DDR3 2133MHz CL11 HyperX XMP
SB X-Fi Titanium Champion Sound card
Game installed on C4 Crucial SSD
Old 03-09-2013, 03:13 AM
Gamer

One of the frame drops I'm talking about specifically is using the Q key function to scan around your surroundings. While in that mode the fps drops so much that panning around is jittery. The patch didn't fix it, please check it out.

P.S. TR app crashed returning to the game while using the "exclusive mode" after writing this message. Again, totally random TR crash (most likely a Nvidia driver issue with the new game so I'm not sweating it). I can run other applications and games in the background for weeks at a time or until I shut the machine down without fail, rock solid.

Specs: 3960x, Rampage IV, 680gtx (314.14), etc...

Last edited by Terminal Meltdown; 03-09-2013 at 03:41 AM.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:17 AM
Developer Representative
Eidos Official

Hi Mato,

I don't think we've ever seen anything like that... And to be honest I'm not sure I fully understand what you are seeing. Could you perhaps post a movie somewhere?

It is normal for everything to be quite bright when you _are_ in instinct mode, but that will disappear again as instinct disables again.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:44 AM
Gamer

thanks for patch so i have question

1. on monastery level when you go to bridge is repair this bug with camera ?
2. on parachute i had problem with controls
3. on level with boat is it ok now ?

thanks
Old 03-09-2013, 03:53 AM
Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerem0ny View Post

Wat do?
I'm guessing the patch does not fix save games that are already affected by the "boat bug". Most likely the patch prevents this bug occurring in any future saves. Which means you will most likely have to start the game over from scratch.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:57 AM
New Player

Finally, fullscreen effects are working.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:06 AM
New Player

Gah, you're kidding...
I guess I'll have to wait for a savegame...
a real shame this happened, such a good game
Old 03-09-2013, 04:07 AM
Gamer

OK so the new patch fixed the exclusive fullscreen mode bug (refresh rate for my 1920x1200 resolution now shows as 59 Hz instead of 60 Hz) and the missing special effects are back in fullscreen/exclusive full screen mode so that's good.

I'm playing the game with TressFX hair on and tessellation to test stability and although it never froze, at least so far from 30 minutes of playing, I was experiencing lots of hitching (split second freezes), especially during QTEs and cutscenes. I am playing with 2xSSAA, 16xAF and everything else on or maxed but the framerate shows mostly as 60 fps so I figured my system (Core i7-920 @ 3.2 GHz, 12 GB, GTX 680 SLI v314.14 beta drivers, Windows 8 Pro 64-bit) should be able to handle it. These hitches seemed to occur when the game was auto-saving (TR icon in the bottom right corner) but I can't be 100% sure as it is difficult to play QTEs and keep your eye on everything.

One mildly annoying bug I did notice though was that despite have V-sync Triple Buffering enabled in the Graphics Options, I was seeing screen tearing in both the cutscenes and gameplay but not all the time. It is like Adaptive V-sync is now enabled in the game but I've checked the Tomb Raider (2013) profile and v-sync is definitely not forced to Adaptive. I can't stand screen tearing so I find this distracting. I've been playing the game since Tuesday with Triple Buffering enabled in the game and never saw screen tearing before (and I wouldn't expect to either) so it looks like this is a new bug introduced with this patch.

Finally, TressFX hair is still not quite right with this patch and still flickers and "spazzs out" with SLI enabled. In fact, despite the patch notes I didn't notice any differences at all with TressFX hair between the original and patched game so I assume these promised NVIDIA optimizations are not included in this build?

P.S. I lowered my CPU overclock from 3.65 GHz to 3.2 GHz to ensure that it was not the reason for the freezes I was getting with the original build of this game so that is why my specs in the signature differ from those I've listed in this post.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:09 AM
Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixxes View Post
Hi Mato,

I don't think we've ever seen anything like that... And to be honest I'm not sure I fully understand what you are seeing. Could you perhaps post a movie somewhere?

It is normal for everything to be quite bright when you _are_ in instinct mode, but that will disappear again as instinct disables again.
Hey Nixxes,
here are the videos, the first video is without the instict enabled and halfway through the video when I enable the instict the brightness levels increase drastically, I didn't choose a good scene to showcase the bug, but thats because I cannot go back into the last camp where the brightness bug is much more distinct and noticeable ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v...oNyU&vq=hd1080
the 2nd video is where the brightness levels are much better and how they should be
http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v...-OpM&vq=hd1080
and here on the 3rd video there is a flickering texture bug on some of those bushes.Also the brightness levels are very high here too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v...MROo&vq=hd1080
I apologize for the low quallity, I recorded the videos at 60 fps, but youtube compressed them quite heavily, they are very pixelated
Old 03-09-2013, 04:15 AM
New Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raphamon View Post
I'm guessing the patch does not fix save games that are already affected by the "boat bug". Most likely the patch prevents this bug occurring in any future saves. Which means you will most likely have to start the game over from scratch.
the patch says its meant to fix the issue for players experiencing this problem...
Old 03-09-2013, 04:17 AM
Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk2k View Post
Finally, fullscreen effects are working.
OMG!!! Can anyone else confirm this?? YAY thanks Nixxes!
Old 03-09-2013, 04:19 AM
Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
OMG!!! Can anyone else confirm this?? YAY thanks Nixxes!
Yep, they are all there just tested it on a few locations: lens flares, mud, rain drops, blood splatter is all there now on fullscreen mode
Old 03-09-2013, 04:22 AM
Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mato87 View Post
Yep, they are all there just tested it on a few locations: lens flares, mud, rain drops, blood splatter is all there now on fullscreen mode
So happy!! Is fps better even little bit?
Old 03-09-2013, 04:24 AM
Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
So happy!! Is fps better even little bit?
Indeed Iam getting a better performance even when I crank the antialiasing option to 2xsaa or 4xsaa
Old 03-09-2013, 04:25 AM
Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mato87 View Post
Indeed Iam getting a better performance even when I crank the antialiasing option to 2xsaa or 4xsaa
Old 03-09-2013, 04:32 AM
New Player

Can we get an option to turn some fullscreen effects off?
I don't like lense-flare, drops and blood on camera. I was so thankful to not have it as it was shown in some gameplay-videos and now the patch "fixes" it.
I really would appreciate if there were options to turn those effect off.
Closed Thread